PDA

View Full Version : A.J. teaching Beckham the ropes... again

Big Hurt so good
02-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Good article from Sox spring training about A.J. Pierzynski trying to make Beckham mean:

http://bit.ly/giVfaq

FWIW, I enjoy Chuck Garfien's blog

doublem23
02-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Lesson 1: It's Always Your Helmet's Fault

soltrain21
02-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Lesson 2: Drop your shoulders and slam your bat down to show you are REALLY intense.

hi im skot
02-16-2011, 05:42 PM

Lesson 2: Drop your shoulders and slam your bat down to show you are REALLY intense.

Profit.

DirtySox
02-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Profit.

You forgot Lesson 3: Consistently perform at an underwhelming level, but become beloved for minor intangibles.

hi im skot
02-16-2011, 05:58 PM
You forgot Lesson 3: Consistently perform at an underwhelming level, but become beloved for minor intangibles.

Dammit, I knew I forgot something.

JermaineDye05
02-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Better than last year's.

Last year Mark Kotsay was Gordon Beckham's mentor. about 2 hours ago (http://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/status/38007791658471424) via web
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1170850498/DSCN1905_bigger.JPG (http://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien)
ChuckGarfien (http://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien)

No wonder he had a bad year.

grenda12
02-16-2011, 07:27 PM

The helmets I own are proof of that.

goon
02-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Lesson 4: Act like a robot, show no emotion and have no personality.

soltrain21
02-16-2011, 08:46 PM

There is a middle ground to acting like a robot and acting like a cranky five year old.

Daver
02-16-2011, 08:54 PM

This is also called acting like professional athlete, as Walter Payton always said about touchdown celebrations, act like you do it everyday.

DickAllen72
02-16-2011, 09:18 PM
And the most important lesson:

Spend 12 years in the Major Leagues as a Catcher playing in 1365 games while spending almost no time on the DL, handle a pitching staff well, and average .284 BA with a .324 OBP while averaging 14 HRs with 72 RBI per 162 games, play a key role in leading your team to a World Series Championship, display an uncanny ability to get inside your opponents head and a knack for always being in the middle of a big play and become beloved by a majority of your team's fans while being hated by fans of opposing teams and by a few of your own fans that think they know more about baseball than you do.

goon
02-16-2011, 09:19 PM
There is a middle ground to acting like a robot and acting like a cranky five year old.

If a hitter is at the plate in a position to drive in a run with 2 outs and gets upset with himself for popping out, what exactly is the problem?

It's not like you see guys throwing a bat for striking out with no one on base with no outs. It's human nature, people get angry. I think sometimes the expectations we have for player's behavior is unrealistic.

goon
02-16-2011, 09:20 PM

Spend 12 years in the Major Leagues as a Catcher playing in 1365 games while spending almost no time on the DL, handle a pitching staff well, and average .284 BA with a .324 OBP while averaging 14 HRs with 72 RBI per 162 games, play a key role in leading your team to a World Series Championship, display an uncanny ability to get inside your opponents head and a knack for always being in the middle of a big play and become beloved by a majority of your team's fans while being hated by fans of opposing teams and by a few of your own fans that think they know more about baseball than you do.

No, no, no, we all love him because he's a grinder.

DirtySox
02-16-2011, 09:22 PM

First ballot Hall of Famer imo.

hi im skot
02-16-2011, 09:24 PM
If a hitter is at the plate in a position to drive in a run with 2 outs and gets upset with himself for popping out, what exactly is the problem?

It's not like you see guys throwing a bat for striking out with no one on base with no outs. It's human nature, people get angry. I think sometimes the expectations we have for player's behavior is unrealistic.

I like AJ, but the dude acts like a complete jackass sometimes.

doublem23
02-16-2011, 09:44 PM
I like AJ, but the dude acts like a complete jackass sometimes.

I like AJ a lot, too. I'm sure he is great behind the scenes, he seems to get along with the team, and yes, it is true the guy shows up to play 6 days per week at the most physically demanding position in the game... Perhaps in all of sports.

But yeah, it's frustrating watching him act like a 10-year-old when **** doesn't go his way. If I were coaching a high school team and a player of mine did that, he'd ride the pine for quite some time.

GoGoCrede
02-16-2011, 09:49 PM

Once or twice, sure. But he did it more than once or twice and it got old/annoying.

doublem23
02-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Once or twice, sure. But he did it more than once or twice and it got old/annoying.

Yeah, I'm not opposed to showing some emotion on the field, it's just that after as many years in professional baseball as AJ has had, you got to know that it's not always going to go your way. You don't drive in every big RBI, sometimes you just lose. Throwing a tantrum in the middle of June against the Royals... There's no need for that.

goon
02-16-2011, 10:04 PM
First ballot Hall of Famer imo.

Wow, he went from being "consistently underwhelming" to a first ballot hall of famer. Going a little bit nuts with the hyperbole. Awesome.

DirtySox
02-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Wow, he went from being "consistently underwhelming" to a first ballot hall of famer. Going a little bit nuts with the hyperbole. Awesome.

:smile: I'm done. AJ is a rather average catcher which is more than I give him credit for. Sometimes it's fun to antagonize the AJ fan club.

goon
02-16-2011, 10:13 PM
I like AJ a lot, too. I'm sure he is great behind the scenes, he seems to get along with the team, and yes, it is true the guy shows up to play 6 days per week at the most physically demanding position in the game... Perhaps in all of sports.

But yeah, it's frustrating watching him act like a 10-year-old when **** doesn't go his way. If I were coaching a high school team and a player of mine did that, he'd ride the pine for quite some time.

Well, he is being paid to play a game. He's not selling insurance or putting out fires, it's a competition.

He throws his helmet everyonce in a while, big deal. He isn't getting in fist fights with teammates in the dugout, or breaking his hand punching a bat. THAT is the kind of stuff that is ridiculous. Kind of like asking a full grown man to play a kid's game, but not act immature at times.

goon
02-16-2011, 10:15 PM
:smile: I'm done. AJ is a rather average catcher which is more than I give him credit for. Sometimes it's fun to antagonize the AJ fan club.

Exactly. Call a spade a spade.

Big Hurt so good
02-16-2011, 11:15 PM
A.J. isn't Ivan Rodriguez defensively nor is he Mike Piazza offensively...

throughout his time in Chicago, he's been in the top half of the league in both offense and defense...

He's the vocal leader of the clubhouse for good or bad, brings a much-needed edge to the team and is one of the smartest players in the entire league...

Sox pitchers LOVE throwing to him and the way he calls a game which cannot be stated enough...

He plays hard every night, plays with emotion and gives 150% to win...

He also showed great character by coming back with the way he handled the contract situation this year...

Love him or hate him, his time on the South Side should be applauded

soltrain21
02-16-2011, 11:20 PM
A.J. isn't Ivan Rodriguez defensively nor is he Mike Piazza offensively...

throughout his time in Chicago, he's been in the top half of the league in both offense and defense...

He's the vocal leader of the clubhouse for good or bad, brings a much-needed edge to the team and is one of the smartest players in the entire league...

Sox pitchers LOVE throwing to him and the way he calls a game which cannot be stated enough...

He plays hard every night, plays with emotion and gives 150% to win...

He also showed great character by coming back with the way he handled the contract situation this year...

Love him or hate him, his time on the South Side should be applauded

Not entirely true. Some of his "showing emotion" is him not running things out. Pouting before he gets out of the box. I like AJ, I'm glad he is on the Sox, but to act like his little temper tantrums are a good thing because he shows emotion is, well, misguided.

Big Hurt so good
02-16-2011, 11:31 PM
Not entirely true. Some of his "showing emotion" is him not running things out. Pouting before he gets out of the box. I like AJ, I'm glad he is on the Sox, but to act like his little temper tantrums are a good thing because he shows emotion is, well, misguided.

I see what you're saying, but to act like every major leaguer runs hard on every ground ball or pop fly is also misguided... NONE do it ALL the time... not even super speedsters with the potential to beat out every grounder

and it's just personal preference, if a guy weakly pops up in a critical situation I'd rather them show the temper than act like they don't care because the huge paycheck eases the pain

slavko
02-17-2011, 12:15 AM
This is also called acting like professional athlete, as Walter Payton always said about touchdown celebrations, act like you do it everyday.

That one's been attributed to more people than you could fit in the UD.

doublem23
02-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Well, he is being paid to play a game. He's not selling insurance or putting out fires, it's a competition.

He throws his helmet everyonce in a while, big deal. He isn't getting in fist fights with teammates in the dugout, or breaking his hand punching a bat. THAT is the kind of stuff that is ridiculous. Kind of like asking a full grown man to play a kid's game, but not act immature at times.

And yet, thousands of players, every bit as fiery as AJ have been able to play baseball without throwing temper tantrums on the field at the drop of a hat.

Last year was the worst, I believe, which I hope can be attributed to the contract weighing on his mind, so hopefully we won't have to watch that again until 2012.

Anyways, what this ultimately boils down to is on-field production. I'm much more willing to cut a guy some slack if he's bringing something to the table, but if you're going to hit .270/.300/.388 with below average defense, uh, sorry, I'm going to be a bit more critical.

hawkjt
02-17-2011, 06:40 AM
And yet, thousands of players, every bit as fiery as AJ have been able to play baseball without throwing temper tantrums on the field at the drop of a hat.

Last year was the worst, I believe, which I hope can be attributed to the contract weighing on his mind, so hopefully we won't have to watch that again until 2012.

Anyways, what this ultimately boils down to is on-field production. I'm much more willing to cut a guy some slack if he's bringing something to the table, but if you're going to hit .270/.300/.388 with below average defense, uh, sorry, I'm going to be a bit more critical.

AJ's frustrations did boil over a lot last year,especially in the first half when he had about his worst half season at the plate in his career.
Then,almost magically,in the second half,he started hitting the ball well,and the frustration displays receded....go figure.
As for his defense, I thought he had a solid year defensively,even throwing out more runners when the pitchers gave him a chance.

And your preference at catcher is? Right. I will take marginal offensive numbers,like he ended up with from a catcher anyday,as long as he is doing his job behind the plate and handling the pitchers.

I was not happy with his lack of patience at the plate,never have been,but honestly,I do give a single crap about anything cept his performance on the field...some folks seem to want these guys to be the role models for their little league teams....not me...I just want a winner.

goon
02-17-2011, 09:56 AM

That statement contradicts itself. How can you tell a player is "fiery" without them displaying some kind of emotion? I mean, is it guessing? Just assuming?

I can't get into these guys heads and know what they are thinking, I go off of body language, like every other person. And by that logic, if a player fails in an important situation and does nothing to show their frustration am I to think that they don't care? Obviously not.

And thousands? C'mon. I bet you can't name ten active players in the league without getting close to the Matt Garza level of "headcase".

And also, once you bring numbers into it, that doesn't really help your case. His offensive stats (http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2010&month=0&season1=2010&ind=0)in 2010 put him in the top ten of everyday catchers in pretty much every category.

His defense... looked fine to me. He's never been able to throw runners out, so I'll agree that that is below average... but, I'm not a scout or a coach so I can't really comment.

Bobby Thigpen
02-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love Walter Payton and he's my favorite athlete of all time, but let's not act like the guy didn't showboat ever. High step anyone?

As far as AJ is concerned, he's become my favorite Sox catcher. I didn't get to see a lot of Fisk so I'll exclude him, but AJ is easily the best catcher on the Sox during my time as a fan. Plus, I just like him.

Bobby Thigpen
02-17-2011, 10:14 AM
That statement contradicts itself. How can you tell a player is "fiery" without them displaying some kind of emotion? I mean, is it guessing? Just assuming?

I can't get into these guys heads and know what they are thinking, I go off of body language, like every other person. And by that logic, if a player fails in an important situation and does nothing to show their frustration am I to think that they don't care? Obviously not.

And thousands? C'mon. I bet you can't name ten active players in the league without getting close to the Matt Garza level of "headcase".

And also, once you bring numbers into it, that doesn't really help your case. His offensive stats (http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2010&month=0&season1=2010&ind=0)in 2010 put him in the top ten of everyday catchers in pretty much every category.

His defense... looked fine to me. He's never been able to throw runners out, so I'll agree that that is below average... but, I'm not a scout or a coach so I can't really comment.
He just doesn't like him. It's not worth bringing up facts to disprove it.

hi im skot
02-17-2011, 10:20 AM
He just doesn't like him. It's not worth bringing up facts to disprove it.

I'm guessing you missed this post:

AJ is a good player. I just think that many of us would rather he do away with some of the childish act he's been known to display.

doublem23
02-17-2011, 10:28 AM

Not hard to be a Top 10 everyday catcher when only 7 statistically qualify. :wink:

The Sox have been a Top 10 team in the AL Central EVERY YEAR since 1994. Mark that down!

Bobby Thigpen
02-17-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm guessing you missed this post:.
Saying you like someone, and your post history are vastly different things.

Nellie_Fox
02-17-2011, 11:00 AM
I remember Sox fans being highly critical of Luzinski at the end when he'd strike out, flip the bat over once, catching it by the barrel, and walk back to the dugout completely expressionless. He got ripped for looking like he didn't care.

hi im skot
02-17-2011, 12:02 PM
I remember Sox fans being highly critical of Luzinski at the end when he'd strike out, flip the bat over once, catching it by the barrel, and walk back to the dugout completely expressionless. He got ripped for looking like he didn't care.

You're right. After every strikeout, I expect this from ALL White Sox batters:

http://www.pyromaniac.com/teams/images/daily-pill/bo-bat-break.png

SHOW ME THAT YOU WANT IT, GUYS!

Nellie_Fox
02-17-2011, 12:42 PM

SHOW ME THAT YOU WANT IT, GUYS!I'm right about what? I didn't take a side, merely pointed out that in the past players have been criticized for NOT showing emotion. Don't assign me a side in the discussion when I didn't take one.

Bobby Thigpen
02-17-2011, 12:48 PM
I didn't take a side, merely pointed out that in the past players have been criticized for NOT showing emotion.
:jerry
And managers.

goon
02-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Not hard to be a Top 10 everyday catcher when only 7 statistically qualify. :wink:

The Sox have been a Top 10 team in the AL Central EVERY YEAR since 1994. Mark that down!

What is it to qualify for an everyday player? 500 plate appearances? I'm willing to best most starting catchers get at least 325-350 AB's, and there are about 20-25 of those guys in that range. I don't think it's really fair to compare a catcher to a CF, SS, 1B, etc. in AB's and PA's.

I don't event think he was batting .200 going into June. I mean they guy ended up with an okay numbers considering how god awful he started the season... and last season itself was an abberation. What he finished with isn't even close to what his career average is...

Pierzynski is a serviceable offensive catcher.

goon
02-17-2011, 03:21 PM

SHOW ME THAT YOU WANT IT, GUYS!

Bo Jackson: Talentless.

DickAllen72
02-17-2011, 03:59 PM
I believe that's what is known as trolling.

DirtySox
02-17-2011, 04:29 PM
I believe that's what is known as trolling.

Perhaps. Or I highly disagree with the pedestal certain posters put him on.

Jim Shorts
02-17-2011, 05:01 PM

He's a gamer. Is that overrating him too much for you?

DirtySox
02-17-2011, 05:12 PM
He's a gamer. Is that overrating him too much for you?

Needs moar grindy.

Domeshot17
02-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Needs moar grindy.

I am with you in the sense that AJ is fine at Catcher, but he isn't an all star, hes just a decent everyday regular. His antics are annoying as hell. Instead of slamming your bat for the 200th time when you pop out to 2b, maybe hit the ball better?

AJ will forever be the greatest catcher any Sox Fan has ever seen because he beat out a still undetermined drop third strike. They might as well put a blue seat .5 inches behind home plate to memorialize that.

DirtySox
02-17-2011, 05:33 PM
I am with you in the sense that AJ is fine at Catcher, but he isn't an all star, hes just a decent everyday regular. His antics are annoying as hell. Instead of slamming your bat for the 200th time when you pop out to 2b, maybe hit the ball better?

AJ will forever be the greatest catcher any Sox Fan has ever seen because he beat out a still undetermined drop third strike. They might as well put a blue seat .5 inches behind home plate to memorialize that.

This I agree with.

Thome25
02-18-2011, 08:33 AM

You say "maybe hit the ball better" like it's just that simple. You are talking about a sport where even the best players FAIL at the plate 60-70% of the time.

As for your comment about the drop third strike, that is just plain idiotic. I for one am an AJ fan and it has nothing to do with that play in the ALCS.....and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've been a Sox fan for more than 20 years. AJ is the best catcher I've ever actually seen play for them. (I saw Fisk but, he was on the decline and on the way out.) He is a leader, plays hard, and has put up numbers better than any Sox catcher in recent memory.

I find all of the whining and crying in this thread about AJ's supposed "baby antics" to be more than just a little ironic.:whiner:

I applaud AJ for being as intense as he is and getting pissed at himself for failing. It's refreshing to see in this day and age especially when alot athletes these days are a bunch of emotionless loafers who only care about the numbers in their contracts.

The rants about AJ slamming his bat and helmet are some of the more absurd, idiotic, asinine, pathetic things I've ever read here at WSI or anywhere for that matter.

Why in the **** wouldn't you want a hardworking, intense, clubhouse leader to show some fire and emotion out on the field?

AJ can keep doing what he's doing as far as I'm concerned. I think it's refreshing.

doublem23
02-18-2011, 08:36 AM
I applaud AJ for being as intense as he is and getting pissed at himself for failing. It's refreshing to see in this day and age especially when alot athletes these days are a bunch of emotionless loafers who only care about the numbers in their contracts.

And the irony to this statement is supposedly the reason AJ's performance was so bad in 2010 was because he was so distracted by being in the final year of his contract.

Thome25
02-18-2011, 08:43 AM
And the irony to this statement is supposedly the reason AJ's performance was so bad in 2010 was because he was so distracted by being in the final year of his contract.

That was pure speculation by WSIers here. When has AJ himself or Sox management ever said that his actions in 2010 were based on his contract status?

AJ has been doing these things his entire time here. And IMO based on his actions, he has NEVER shown that he is a "loafer' and only cares about the numbers in his contract.

IMO he has shown the opposite.

soltrain21
02-18-2011, 08:43 AM
You say "maybe hit the ball better" like it's just that simple. You are talking about a sport where even the best players FAIL at the plate 60-70% of the time.

As for your comment about the drop third strike, that is just plain idiotic. I for one am an AJ fan and it has nothing to do with that play in the ALCS.....and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've been a Sox fan for more than 20 years. AJ is the best catcher I've ever actually seen play for them. (I saw Fisk but, he was on the decline and on the way out.) He is a leader, plays hard, and has put up numbers better than any Sox cather in recent memory.

I find all of the whining and crying in this thread about AJ's supposed "baby antics" to be more than just a little ironic.:whiner:

The rants about AJ slamming his bat and helmet are some of the more absurd, idiotic, asinine, pathetic things I've ever read here at WSI or anywhere for that matter.

Why in the **** wouldn't you want a hardworking, intense, clubhouse leader to show some fire and emotion out on the field?

AJ can keep doing what he's doing as far as I'm concerned. I think it's refreshing.

So what's the difference between him getting all pissy and angry and throwing stuff around when he is angry than a player doing well and celebrating? The second of which you have said you hate.

Thome25
02-18-2011, 08:49 AM
So what's the difference between him getting all pissy and angry and throwing stuff around when he is angry than a player doing well and celebrating? The second of which you have said you hate.

I see where you're going here. Both could be considered bad sportsmanship.

But, here's the way I see it, I'd rather a player show his intensity and his humanity after failing than showboating and what could be considered gloating and celebrating after a routine play.

What AJ does is a projected towards himself. Celebrating after a routine play is directed at the opposition and I dislike showing the other team up. Now if AJ took his bat or helmet and threw it in the direction of the opposing pitcher then that would be a more valid comparison.

Just my opinion take it FWIW.

goon
02-18-2011, 09:15 AM

I completely agree with what you're saying... if it's obnoxious for a guy to express negative emotion, shouldn't celebrating be looked at in the same light? I mean it's all expression.

Jim Shorts
02-18-2011, 09:31 AM

And he only took millions less to stay.

That bolsters nobody's argument.

soltrain21
02-18-2011, 09:48 AM

How do you know this? He took a paycut, but that paycut was going to happen no matter where he went. I don't think the Blue Jays numbers ever came out.

Jim Shorts
02-18-2011, 09:51 AM
How do you know this? He took a paycut, but that paycut was going to happen no matter where he went. I don't think the Blue Jays numbers ever came out.

He took less than what was reported the Dodgers offered.

doublem23
02-18-2011, 09:56 AM

Millions? I know the Dodgers were talking with AJ and were supposedly close to a deal, but how much more could they have been offering than 2 yr/$8 M?

Big Hurt so good
02-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Millions? I know the Dodgers were talking with AJ and were supposedly close to a deal, but how much more could they have been offering than 2 yr/$8 M?

More guaranteed years would mean more money right? 1 more year for $4 million more is still $4 million more... he turned that down... after this contract ends he'll be 3 years older, maybe hurt, who knows if he'll be able to get that money...

Also to a prior poster: yes, his performance suffered due to worry over his contract but he says that was due to uncertainty over where he'd be. With a family, some athletes actually care about all that comes with switching teams such as moving to a new location or if the entire family doesn't want to move, the travel back and forth all season to see them...

The arguments in this thread about AJ's attitude are ridiculous... Jay Cutler is always looks angry or reflects a poor attitude after a bad play and he's won NOTHING, Scottie Pippen (who most of us love) refused to go in at the end of the game because he wasn't going to take the last shot (that's quitting)...

soltrain21
02-18-2011, 02:48 PM
More guaranteed years would mean more money right? 1 more year for $4 million more is still $4 million more... he turned that down... after this contract ends he'll be 3 years older, maybe hurt, who knows if he'll be able to get that money...

Also to a prior poster: yes, his performance suffered due to worry over his contract but he says that was due to uncertainty over where he'd be. With a family, some athletes actually care about all that comes with switching teams such as moving to a new location or if the entire family doesn't want to move, the travel back and forth all season to see them...

The arguments in this thread about AJ's attitude are ridiculous... Jay Cutler is always looks angry or reflects a poor attitude after a bad play and he's won NOTHING, Scottie Pippen (who most of us love) refused to go in at the end of the game because he wasn't going to take the last shot (that's quitting)...

What does that have to do with AJ?

doublem23
02-18-2011, 03:00 PM

So the Dodgers offered him 3 years/$12 M?

I'm sorry I'm just having a hard time believing that, it's a lot of money to throw a 33-year-old catcher coming off the worst season of his career when your team's finances are in disarray because of the owner's very messy divorce.

russ99
02-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Sorry, but I could care less about "antics".

We're losing focus of the quality of Sox players and management based on stupid non-factors like antics, drama and how much people are paid more than we think they should be.

A.J. should be considered a solid catcher, both with his bat and how he works with pitchers.

At least in real baseball, not fantasy league.

soltrain21
02-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Sorry, but I could care less about "antics".

We're losing focus of the quality of Sox players and management based on stupid non-factors like antics, drama and how much people are paid more than we think they should be.

A.J. should be considered a solid catcher, both with his bat and how he works with pitchers.

At least in real baseball, not fantasy league.

We post on a message board. I don't really know what this focus could be better used for.

TheVulture
02-18-2011, 04:40 PM

If only 7 out of the best catchers in the world even qualify, doesn't that kind of indicate it is hard?

There's always five teams in the AL Central. There are thousands of catchers lined up to play MLB.

DickAllen72
02-18-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't know who is putting him on a pedestal here. Most agree he is a solid catcher and a good player to have on a team. He just agreed to defer a big portion of his salary so that the Sox could afford to bring back Konerko. Obviously he loves playing for the White Sox.

So an article is written about how he is trying to mentor Beckham or "show him the ropes" and it is greeted with negative comments about him here on what is supposed to be a White Sox fan forum. :scratch:

goon
02-18-2011, 05:19 PM
If only 7 out of the best catchers in the world even qualify, doesn't that kind of indicate it is hard?

There's always five teams in the AL Central. There are thousands of catchers lined up to play MLB.

To be fair he was responding to one of my posts where I was talking about "everyday" catchers and I think he meant I was talking about "qualified everyday" players... so that is slightly out of context, though I understand what you are saying.

I think he's fine. He is usually slightly above or right in the middle of the pack in regard to everyday catchers. There is nothing wrong with backstops like Carlos Ruiz or Kurt Suzuki, etc. if they can handle a pitching staff and I think AJ has proven he can do that.

soltrain21
02-18-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't know who is putting him on a pedestal here. Most agree he is a solid catcher and a good player to have on a team. He just agreed to defer a big portion of his salary so that the Sox could afford to bring back Konerko. Obviously he loves playing for the White Sox.

So an article is written about how he is trying to mentor Beckham or "show him the ropes" and it is greeted with negative comments about him here on what is supposed to be a White Sox fan forum. :scratch:

Sigh. Once again. NONE OF US HATE AJ. We just wish he would stop throwing temper tantrums and we were poking fun at the fact he does so. Do you not make fun of players on the White Sox? You've never once made a joke about how slow Konerko is or how skinny Sale is?

DickAllen72
02-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Sigh. Once again. NONE OF US HATE AJ. We just wish he would stop throwing temper tantrums and we were poking fun at the fact he does so. Do you not make fun of players on the White Sox? You've never once made a joke about how slow Konerko is or how skinny Sale is?
If this were a post game thread on a day when AJ struck out and threw a tantrum those posts would be quite appropriate. But the original post was about an article in which AJ was just trying to help out a younger teammate.

And Dirty Sox' first post was how AJ performs at a consistently "underwhelming level", which is not only irrelevant but also incorrect. He even later admitted he posted it to antagonize AJ fans, which is by definition, "trolling".

As to your analogy, sure people may comment on Paulie's slowness but it would be strange if a series of posts about Konerko's lack of speed were posted on the thread about him re-signing with the Sox. Making fun of him lumbering from first to third on a game thread would make more sense.