PDA

View Full Version : Guillen receives award for charity in Chicago

spawn
02-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Usually you only see negatives around here regarding Ozzie. I thought I would switch it up and post something positive for a change:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110215&content_id=16638090&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

palehosepub
02-16-2011, 02:00 PM
I was fortunate enough to get an invite to the March of Dimes Sports Award Event, its a fun event with nice access to the players (at $350 per plate thats what you get!).

I thought Ozzie's speech was entertaining and heartfelt, both on his comments on the charity as well as the Sox and the Chicago Sports scene in general. He broke up the crowd a couple times with his offhand comments about his drinking and his lust for Jennifer Lopez etc. He kept referring to Beckham as "the guy who almost got him fired last year".

My son and I got a World Series ball signed by Ozzie. Beckham is a really humble guy, very polite, almost shy. He took lots of photos and signed many autographs. Whn you see him up close your really see that he is not a very big guy at all. Taj Gibson from the Bulls and Israel Idonije from the Bears were great with the crowd too. Duncan Keith arrived later and didnt appear to take many photos or give autographs.

Steve Dahl was the emcee he must have lost over 100 punds, I was shocked when I saw him. He did a nice job also.