PDA

View Full Version : Maggs was robbed!

hold2dibber
07-03-2002, 09:10 AM
It is an absolute JOKE that Maggs isn't on the all-star team. Here is how he stacks up against the rest of the every day outfielders in the AL:

RBI- 1st
Runs - T-3rd
HR - T-2nd
Avg. - 2nd
OBP - 3rd
SLG - 2nd
OPS - 1st

You're telling me that he's not an AL All-Star outfielder? Damon isn't close, Fick isn't close, Garret Anderson isn't close, Randy Winn isn't close, Manny Ramirez isn't close. Hunter and Suzuki (I refuse to call him Ichiro - he's not a friggin' pop star) should be the other two starters along with Maggs. Utterly ridiculous.

steff
07-03-2002, 09:16 AM
It's a popularity contest plain and simple. I don't know why year in and year out people get riled up about it. It's the same. No matter how much people bitch, the voting proceedure wont change.
The best slap in the face will be when Maggs ends the season at the top of every list. And who cares anyway.. here in Chicago, he's OUR All-star, he knows it, and I think that's all that matters to him.

MarqSox
07-03-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Suzuki (I refuse to call him Ichiro - he's not a friggin' pop star)

Amen to that! Though I think he thinks he plays soccer or something, a la "Ronaldo" or whatever.

oldcomiskey
07-03-2002, 09:20 AM
Tom Berenger said it best in major leagues 1: there only one thing left to do===win the whole f'ing thing

whitesoxwilkes
07-03-2002, 09:30 AM
I've heard a lot of talk (most;y on these boards) about how Mags doesn;t seem happy in Chicago..is that true? And will not making the AS team make his feelings worse?

hold2dibber
07-03-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by steff3603
.. here in Chicago, he's OUR All-star, he knows it, and I think that's all that matters to him.

I hope you're right -- it concerns me that Maggs toils in such obscurity. It makes me worry that he would rather go elsewhere where he'd get the national recognition he deserves; hell, if he played for the Cubs or the Braves he'd be starting in the all-star game, appearing on the Leno show, doing commercials for Doritos, and staring in his own sitcom on the WB network.

steff
07-03-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I hope you're right -- it concerns me that Maggs toils in such obscurity. It makes me worry that he would rather go elsewhere where he'd get the national recognition he deserves; hell, if he played for the Cubs or the Braves he'd be starting in the all-star game, appearing on the Leno show, doing commercials for Doritos, and staring in his own sitcom on the WB network.

I've known him and his family for a couple years now. He seems happy (his wife loves it here) and genually doesn't seem concerned about not having the media up his butt all the time. He once said that it's better to be left alone that way they can't make up things when they realize there's no controversy to report on (he's actually a very boring guy, family first, etc..). He plays for the love of the game, so I'd guess he doesn't really care. Besides, I think the season ticket holders down the 1st base line with all their "oo-wee-oo Maaagglliiooo" chants and bows give him something to look forward to each home game. He just looks and them and cracks up. He knows he appreciated. And if he went somewhere else, it would just be a circus. I think he likes the slow pace.

Dadawg_77
07-03-2002, 10:20 AM
:boston
Even I am upset that Mags didn't make it.

Hey everyone gets snubed for the All Star game (Frank in 2000) but life goes on. Now the thing to do is for Mags to carry this team to playoffs and win a nice MVP tourphy.

Its good to hear the Mags enjoys it in this city. Lets hope JR doesn't spoil it, like it seems he did with others in the past.

whitesoxwilkes
07-03-2002, 10:33 AM
Besides, I think the season ticket holders down the 1st base line with all their "oo-wee-oo Maaagglliiooo" chants and bows give him something to look forward to each home game.

I'm one of them. : )

Spiff
07-03-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox

Amen to that! Though I think he thinks he plays soccer or something, a la "Ronaldo" or whatever.

In Japan, Suzuki is an ultra-popular last name and on his Japan team there were like six Suzukis so he just went by Ichiro.

But then again you might be right with your "he thinks he plays soccer and therefore should only use his first name" theory. It has a solid foundation.

doublem23
07-03-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Spiff
But then again you might be right with your "he thinks he plays soccer and therefore should only use his first name" theory. It has a solid foundation.

I hope not or else he's gonna be REALLY good when he finally realizes what sport he's actually been playing.

steff
07-03-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Besides, I think the season ticket holders down the 1st base line with all their "oo-wee-oo Maaagglliiooo" chants and bows give him something to look forward to each home game.

I'm one of them. : )

Dang Mike.. we're so close! The AlohaFri's, Jim and I are in section 107 row 1. We definitely have to get together for beers sometime!!

steff
07-03-2002, 11:31 AM
By the way.. that is Mr and Mr's AlohaFri in the pic with me, Jim, and the baby. :D:

whitesoxwilkes
07-03-2002, 11:45 AM
we most certainly do. i won;t be there again until next homestand, probably a good thing after the binge i went on there last night. drank a beer pretty much for every dinger the sox hit.

Mathew
07-03-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
we most certainly do. i won;t be there again until next homestand, probably a good thing after the binge i went on there last night. drank a beer pretty much for every dinger the sox hit.

Just one? I was sweating out my Canada Day hangover and had to start all over again.

I have a good friend who's a Brit and for the last two weeks anybody who only uses one name was being called some pretty funny things by him (he's still a tad bitter about the WC) but the baseball highlights are funny around him when Ichiro is mentioned.

whitesoxwilkes
07-03-2002, 03:58 PM
Yeah, that post came out wrong, makes me sound like a giant wimp. Shoulda said I drank a brew for every homer the Sox and Tigers hit.

pudge
07-03-2002, 04:16 PM
I'd like to know what everyone thinks of the 30th man idea... I think it's a joke to let the fans screw up YET AGAIN in the All-Star voting... if you're going to allow a 30th man, either have the MLB office select a true deserving candidate, or limit the votes to only the deserving snubs.... I'm sorry, but Johnny f'ing Damon was not a deserving snub. If the vote had only been between Thome, Chavez and Mags, I would have felt better. And really I think Chavez and Mags got screwed the most, because the ONLY reason they didn't make it was the one-player-from-every-team rule. Thome didn't make it because there were too many other more-deserving 1b-men.

Damon winning does make sense - Boston is #2 behind Seattle in terms of computer-savy, I bet some techies over there ran a voting script or something. Plus there are obviously a lot of Red Sox fans.