PDA

View Full Version : Grade the Tigers' off-season

doublem23
02-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Key Additions: Victor Martinez, Joaquin Benoit, Brad Penny, TIMO PEREZ

Key Re-Signs: Magglio Ordonez, Jhonny Peralta

Key Losses: Jeremy Bonderman, Johnny Damon, Armando Galarraga, Gerald Laird, Zach Miner, Eddie Bonine

Tigers.com Current Projected Depth Chart:

SP: Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello, Coke, Penny
RP: Valverde, Benoit, Zumaya, Perry, Thomas, Schlereth

C: Avila
1B: Cabrera
2B: Guillen
3B: Inge
SS: Peralta
LF: Raburn
CF: Jackson
RF: Ordonez
DH: Martinez

IF: Kelly, Rhymes, Sizemore
OF: Boesch, Wells

Moses_Scurry
02-15-2011, 03:07 PM
They didn't really lose anyone major. They signed a couple good pieces. The back of their rotation is pretty suspect. I'd give them a B-. Better than the Twins (I gave a D) by far, closer, but worse than the Sox (I gave a B+)

russ99
02-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Gotta go with a C.

They vastly overpayed Benoit, brought in Victor Martinez who's can't really catch anymore and did nothing to fix the glaring hole in the rotation.

gobears1987
02-15-2011, 04:17 PM
That rotation is going to kill them. Their pen (like every year) has some big holes too. The line-up is decent though.

SOXSINCE'70
02-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Some good additions.Brad Penny could be a real work horse for this team, IMO.Having Valverde and Benoit at the end of the game means you'd better have a lead by the 7th inning or it might be game OVAH.Can Victor Martinez throw out runners? We'll see.His offense will be appreciated.Verlander is Verlander. He's capable of going 7 1/3, 8 innings almost every day when he's right.

My gut feeling: The Sox, Twins and Tigers will be within a game of each other come September.
It should be a wild race to the finish.As Hawk would say, 'sit back,relax and strap it down".
The sit back and relax part is the hardest for me.:D: As far as "strap it down", all good White Sox
fans fasten their seat belts before the ride begins.They never know how many twists and turns this team
will take before they reach their eventual destination.

VMSNS
02-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Overpaid for Benoit. Rotation is a potential disaster outside of Verlander. Victor is a nice piece, but can't catch or play defense. Back end of the bullpen could be very good.

Honestly, I expected them to do a little more this offseason.

C+

Foulke You
02-17-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm giving them a B-. The switch hitting Victor Martinez is a potent bat and great protection in the lineup for Miguel Cabrera. Like Adam Dunn, Victor was brought to the Tigers for his bat and not his glove. Comerica is a pretty good left handed hitters park and Victor will be facing primarily right handers so he should put up some good offensive numbers. I do think it will be a mistake to start Victor frequently at the Catcher position though.

Benoit and Valverde should make a really good 1-2 punch in their bullpen but taking Phil Coke out of the pen and putting him in the rotation weakens their left handed set up options. I was also surprised they brought Magglio back given his recent injury track record.