PDA

View Full Version : Grade the Twins' Off-Season

doublem23
02-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Key Additions: Tsuyoshi Nishioka

Key Resigns: Jim Thome, Carl Pavano

Key Subtractions: Orlando Hudson, J.J. Hardy, Jon Rauch, Jesse Crain, Brian Fuentes, Matt Guerrier, Ron Mahay

Projected Depth Chart at Twins.com right now:

SP: Liriano, Pavano, Baker, Duensing, Blackburn
C: Mauer, Butera
1B: Morneau, Cuddyer
2B: Nishioka, Casila
3B: Valencia, Tolbert
SS: Casila, Nishioka
LF: Young, Repko
CF: Span, Repko
RF: Cuddyer, Kubel
DH: Kubel, Thome

Bullpen: Nathan, Capps, Mijares, Burnett, Manship, Perkins

spawn
02-15-2011, 12:28 PM
In your additions, you forgot about the Japanese Second baseman they signed. At any rate, they did nothing IMO to make themselves stronger. I'm not impressed with the rotation, even with the resigning of Pavano, we still don't know what to expect of Morneau, and they lost quite a bit from the bullpen. But, they are the Twins, and have some mystical advantage over the Sox for some reason.

doublem23
02-15-2011, 12:30 PM
In your additions, you forgot about the Japanese Second baseman they signed. At any rate, they did nothing IMO to make themselves stronger. I'm not impressed with the rotation, even with the resigning of Pavano, we still don't know what to expect of Morneau, and they lost quite a bit from the bullpen. But, they are the Twins, and have some mystical advantage over the Sox for some reason.

You're right, I had forgotten about him, he doesn't show up on B-R's Transaction page because he's never played in American organized baseball and doesn't have a player page there yet.

CURSE YOU, INTERNETS

asindc
02-15-2011, 12:33 PM
If they had not re-signed Pavano, I would have given them a straight F. Even as is, a D is generous.

DirtySox
02-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Minnesota clearly didn't have an impressive offseason, but they don't usually make huge splashes anyway. Despite this, they will be near the top of the division like usual. Twins gonna Twin.

Moses_Scurry
02-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Their offseason was pretty bad, but they'll still be tough to beat. I gave them a D because I think they'll be worse than last year. I just hope the Sox are better enough to catch them.

sox1970
02-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Not enough starting pitching, and there's no way Pavano matches 2010.

Sox go 10-8 against them, and the Twins finish in 3rd place with 85 wins.

WhiteSox5187
02-15-2011, 01:22 PM
I don't think they improved much if at all, having said that they're still the god damned Twins and will find a way to win.

TheVulture
02-15-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm looking at a roster that still has a lot of guys who can hit, catch and pitch. The moves are unimpressive but the roster still looks solid to me, though they would have benefited from adding another rotation arm. Still, seems they could have a strong rotation if Duensing and Baker step up.

C.