PDA

View Full Version : Who will be Sox reserve Outfielders?

Noneck
02-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Jones was very valuable last year in that he played a decent RF and a acceptable CF. This year there isnt much to fill that void. I assume De Aza will be a front runner but after that I dont know. Lillibridge as a fill in isnt good, Teahen (ouch) and Jordan Danks, I havent heard anything good about him lately. Quentin is not a good Rfer and has been injury prone. I wonder if the Sox will be looking for someone before spring training breaks.

DirtySox
02-14-2011, 12:46 PM
It will come down to Lillibridge, De Aza, or Milledge.

soltrain21
02-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Milledge as an outfielder with Teahen playing the super utility role.

Noneck
02-14-2011, 01:00 PM
How are Milledge defensive abilities? I have not seen him play often.

JermaineDye05
02-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Not good. At least that's what people have been saying.

asindc
02-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Not at all when he was with the Nats. I don't know if he has improved or not since then.

Noneck
02-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Not good. At least that's what people have been saying.

Not at all when he was with the Nats. I don't know if he has improved or not since then.

That's quite worrisome.

Lip Man 1
02-14-2011, 01:52 PM
I think the 4th outfielder is going to Milledge myself.

Lip

Hitmen77
02-14-2011, 02:24 PM
FWIW, I believe Lillibridge is out of options and De Aza has one remaining. Since Milledge was signed to a minor league contract, he can be sent to the minors at the end of spring training without using up an option.

I'd like to see what Milledge can do offensively as a 4th OF. Unfortunately, his poor(?) defense would leave the Sox without a good late-inning defensive sub for the OF.

MarkZ35
02-14-2011, 02:48 PM
I would gladly take Teahan as a reserve outfielder because then that means he isn't in the everyday lineup. Isn't he also better defensively out there than 3rd?

PaleHoser
02-14-2011, 02:55 PM
IMO, the fourth outfielder must be strong defensively. Pierre, Quentin and Teahen (assuming he's the 5th OF) all have weaknesses on defense and it would be nice to be able to compensate for them from the bench when needed.

I think Jordan Danks would be better off getting regular at-bats in Charlotte to shore up his offense.

I'm hoping for a late spring waiver pick-up or minor trade because I don't think any of the other names tossed out in this thread fit this role.

delben91
02-14-2011, 03:26 PM
IMO, the fourth outfielder must be strong defensively. Pierre, Quentin and Teahen (assuming he's the 5th OF) all have weaknesses on defense and it would be nice to be able to compensate for them from the bench when needed.

I think Jordan Danks would be better off getting regular at-bats in Charlotte to shore up his offense.

I'm hoping for a late spring waiver pick-up or minor trade because I don't think any of the other names tossed out in this thread fit this role.

I thought De Aza was strong defensively, am I remembering incorrectly?

Daver
02-14-2011, 04:01 PM
FWIW, I believe Lillibridge is out of options and De Aza has one remaining. Since Milledge was signed to a minor league contract, he can be sent to the minors at the end of spring training without using up an option.

I'd like to see what Milledge can do offensively as a 4th OF. Unfortunately, his poor(?) defense would leave the Sox without a good late-inning defensive sub for the OF.

He has no options, which is why he was signed to a minor league contract, if he were signed to a major league contract the Sox would have to pay him the league minimum for the season even if he didn't make the roster.

NDSox12
02-14-2011, 07:55 PM

He was almost exclusively playing CF for the Nats though. I suspect he is, or could be, a serviceable defensive player in LF/RF. Can't say I saw much of him with the Pirates though.