PDA

View Full Version : Sox "all in " with 4 starters

NLaloosh
02-14-2011, 10:49 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/02/four-man-rotation-could-pave-way-for-sale-in-pen.html

$56 mil. for Adam Dunn and the Sox fifth starter is either Jeff Gray, Phil Humber or Lucas Harrell.

Hopefully, this will be Kenny's last year as GM.

TheOldRoman
02-14-2011, 10:53 AM
That sucks, I missed the report that had Peavy's injury sidelining him the entire year. At this point we might as well fold up the tents and see what we can get for Danks, Floyd and Ramirez. ****

Bobby Thigpen
02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/02/four-man-rotation-could-pave-way-for-sale-in-pen.html

$56 mil. for Adam Dunn and the Sox fifth starter is either Jeff Gray, Phil Humber or Lucas Harrell.

Without looking, I'm going to wager you probably also complained about the Sox lack of a LH bat last year too.

Rocky Soprano
02-14-2011, 11:00 AM

:dtroll:

doublem23
02-14-2011, 11:01 AM

Might want to calm down there a bit, the article only mentions the Sox needing a 5th starter for 2 games in the first month of the season and still being able to keep everyone on a normal schedule of rest.

People are starting to overreact to everything, spring must be in the air!!!

spawn
02-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Without looking, I'm going to wager you probably also complained about the Sox lack of a LH bat last year too.

Well, you know me...I did look. This is what he said about the team last year before the season started:

Trust me guys, this team has what it needs right now. I've been watching the White Sox since 1970 and I've rarely been wrong about a team.

Injuries and other things can happen but, to me, this team is vastly improved over last year's team. And, that team was good enough to win the Central.

I know the Central is weak but I believe that the Sox will run away with it. The Tigers have declined and the Twins magic/luck/advantage will be gone in their new park.

I'm not saying that they'll beat the Yankees in the playoffs but they have a good chance.

How is this team vastly improved over last year? In almost every way.

The bullpen will be nothing short of excellent with Jenks, Putz, Thornton, Pena, Linebrink and Williams. I am worried about Williams and I wish that Kenny would have upgraded here but if need be he will.

And, the starting pitching is really second to none. I'm also comfortable with the pitching depth in the minors in the rotation as well as the bullpen. I can't remember the last time I've said that.

What I'm most excited to see next year is the lineup. The offense and defense. I know that's waht some of you are cursing right now but I love it.

The rotating DH is a great idea unless you can truly put a David Ortiz in his prime or someone like that here. I don't think many people realize that many teams are using this idea now and with good reasons.

I like Jim Thome but he really wouldn't have helped this team much at all. I think that most people are underrating Teahen, Quentin and Rios likely return to 2008 form, Beckham's improvement, having Pierre/Pods from day 1 and the impact that Jones, Kotsay and Vizquel will have over a full season.

I still think this team will hit 200 home runs. But, even with 180 they would score more runs than last year's team. I'm not saying that this is the ideal ultimate lineup but it is pretty well balanced and a lot closer to what Ozzie has been wanting.

The defense is as good or better than last year everywhere on the diamond. There's no way that adding Jones and Vizquel cannot help the defense.

I really like the mix of guys and talent and think it's a winner. And, I think that Kenny is in a good position, with prospects, money and depth, to make any additions or changes at any time. And, you know that he will.

It wouldn't surprise me to see this team start off on a run of 35-20. I would love to see the rotation order as Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Buehrle and Garcia. I don't know if it will happen due to "the opener" issue but that wouldn't matter to me.

Think about this: You guys are worried about a part-time DH spot? Last year the Sox had holes in the 4th and 5th starters spots! How much more serious a problem is that? And, they still competed for the division.

The 4th and 5th spots hurt last year's team more than anything by far. The Sox could bat Nancy Faust at DH and be better than last year's team just with this rotation.

I can't remember the last time I was not concerned about any part of this team. Wait, it was 2005. I gave a friend who was going to Vegas, before the season, $ 500 to bet on that team winning the division.

You guys should relax and enjoy this team. They're going to be good. I know that everything that I've said could go wrong but it probably won't. Also, I think that Ozzie, Kenny and Jerry have the experience now to make sure that things get corrected if they need to.

I have a really good feeling here and I wish more of you would start enjoying it with me.

SI1020
02-14-2011, 11:08 AM
People voicing their opinions on a message boards. Sometimes even conflicting ones. Shocking.

asindc
02-14-2011, 11:20 AM
People voicing their opinions on a message boards. Sometimes even conflicting ones. Shocking.

This post is drenched in irony. Speaking of GMs coming up short for a 5th starter (keep in mind that if KW had not traded Hudson for Jackson we would still be in the same position at this point), I'm wondering what the OP thinks of Cashman's offseason.

Gavin
02-14-2011, 11:32 AM
4 starters seemed to work out in 2004. 4 starters = 4 games over 0.500!

And Scott Schoenweiss was one of the four... yeesh

Zisk77
02-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Might want to calm down there a bit, the article only mentions the Sox needing a 5th starter for 2 games in the first month of the season and still being able to keep everyone on a normal schedule of rest.

People are starting to overreact to everything, spring must be in the air!!!

I just think its people with certain agendas finding any shred of evidence to justify their agenda.

My churros were stale, Fire Kenny!

Jpgr91
02-14-2011, 11:48 AM
I think it is a damn good thing that the biggest unresolved question for the Sox is who is going to be their 5th starter for the first month of the season.

getonbckthr
02-14-2011, 11:56 AM

Nothing personal but that's stupid!

doublem23
02-14-2011, 12:04 PM
I just think its people with certain agendas finding any shred of evidence to justify their agenda.

My churros were stale, Fire Kenny!

AND WHEN IS KENNY GOING TO CHANGE THE LIGHTBULBS? What a classless organization!!!1!

Jpgr91
02-14-2011, 12:12 PM
AND WHEN IS KENNY GOING TO CHANGE THE LIGHTBULBS? What a classless organization!!!1!

KW is great at managing the entirety of the organization he heads, just ask Dave Wilder.

kittle42
02-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Adam Dunn is a baseclogging strikeout machine! All bad things related to the Sox are the direct result of his inclusion on the roster.

Noneck
02-14-2011, 12:19 PM
I would like to see the Sox go with a 4 man rotation till Peavy returns. No need to fill the roster slot with an occasional 5 th starter. If the need arises, then Pena can fill in. It is very important to get out of the gate fast this year, I think the 4 man rotation is the best way to do it.

DumpJerry
02-14-2011, 12:21 PM
AND WHEN IS KENNY GOING TO CHANGE THE LIGHTBULBS? What a classless organization!!!!
I forgot about that one. That was an all-time classic.

Daver
02-14-2011, 12:50 PM
I would like to see the Sox go with a 4 man rotation till Peavy returns. No need to fill the roster slot with an occasional 5 th starter. If the need arises, then Pena can fill in. It is very important to get out of the gate fast this year, I think the 4 man rotation is the best way to do it.

This will not happen.

Rohan
02-14-2011, 12:55 PM

DON'T FORGET THOSE GOSH DARN SPIDERS!

For real though, the White Sox starting rotation is going to be just fine...

doublem23
02-14-2011, 01:16 PM
For real though, the White Sox starting rotation is going to be just fine...

Well, it might not be, but I don't think there's anything KW really could have done through F/A to shore it up. Outside of Lee what game changing SP has moved this off-season?

Taliesinrk
02-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Well, it might not be, but I don't think there's anything KW really could have done through F/A to shore it up. Outside of Lee what game changing SP has moved this off-season?

Maybe not "game changing", but there have certainly been a few Freddy Garcia-type pitchers available for the taking. Who knows what their demands were, but Garcia himself (for example) isn't even guaranteed a roster spot with the Yankees. I would have preferred a pitcher like that over Harrell, etc. My bigger concern is if one of the 5 being counted on goes down after Peavy returns. Harrell, etc. for any prolonged period of time is bad news, IMO.

That said, KW had a great off-season and I'm very pleased with the Sox.

PaleHoser
02-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Outside of Lee what game changing SP has moved this off-season?

Zack Greinke. Not saying the Sox should have tried to pick him up. Just answering the question.

With seven arms in the bullpen, what's the problem with going with a four man rotation with a reduced pitch count or a six inning start for the first three weeks? I'd rather watch Buehrle throw right-handed for a start than some of these other guys.

doublem23
02-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Zack Greinke. Not saying the Sox should have tried to pick him up. Just answering the question.

With seven arms in the bullpen, what's the problem with going with a four man rotation with a reduced pitch count or a six inning start for the first three weeks? I'd rather watch Buehrle throw right-handed for a start than some of these other guys.

I meant through F/A, Greinke was traded. Not that I suspect the Royals would have traded him within the division, but there's just no way we could have come up with a package topping what the Brewers dealt for him. With the absolute terrible state of the Sox farm system, they have almost no chance of acquiring anyone outside of free agency right now.

Noneck
02-14-2011, 03:23 PM
With seven arms in the bullpen, what's the problem with going with a four man rotation with a reduced pitch count or a six inning start for the first three weeks?

Forget the reduced pitch count. Ride them horses. 2 of the 4 will be FA's at year end and another looking for a long term contract, its their opportunity to show their worth.

Dibbs
02-14-2011, 04:03 PM
I can't believe I agree with Ozzie on a lineup. I love it. I would like Alexei higher than AJ, but then there would be three lefties in a row.

SoxSpeed22
02-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Personally, I would rather have Alexei hit second and Beckham hit lower. The past two years, Alexei was fairly effective hitting second.
LF Pierre, SS Ramirez, CF Rios, 1B Konerko, DH Dunn, RF Quentin, 2B Beckham, C Pierzynski, 3B Morel

Boondock Saint
02-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Personally, I would rather have Alexei hit second and Beckham hit lower. The past two years, Alexei was fairly effective hitting second.
LF Pierre, SS Ramirez, CF Rios, 1B Konerko, DH Dunn, RF Quentin, 2B Beckham, C Pierzynski, 3B Morel

I don't want Alexei that high up in the order until he shows that he can hit over the Mendoza line in April.

Bucky F. Dent
02-14-2011, 08:51 PM

Yeah well, to hell with it then, I'll just wait for Bears training camp. Whenever that might happen!

JohnTucker0814
02-14-2011, 09:05 PM
I don't want Alexei that high up in the order until he shows that he can hit over the Mendoza line in April.

I agree...

if Teahen wins the 3b - Pierre, Beckham, Rios, Dunn, Konerko, Quentin, AJ, Ramirez, Teahen

if Morel wins the 3b - Pierre, Beckham, Rios, Dunn, Konerko, Quentin, Ramirez, AJ, Morel...

doublem23
02-14-2011, 09:38 PM

Somebody's got to hit 2nd, though. I don't want Beckham anywhere near the top of the order.

KMcMahon817
02-15-2011, 01:05 PM

I think you have to hit Dunn behind Rios. The guy has never been able to be consistently thrown fastballs, and with Rios' speed on the basepaths, it is likely he will see more fastballs than at any other time in his career. Also, with Paulie hitting behind him, teams will be hesitant to intentionally walk him (another thing that he has dealt with his whole career). In addition to all that, he will be hitting in a bandbox 81 times this season. I wouldn't be the slightest bit shocked to see Dunn blast 50+ bombs this year.

tstrike2000
02-15-2011, 01:28 PM

He will continue to be the GM after 2011 when they win the division this year.

kittle42
02-15-2011, 02:59 PM
He will continue to be the GM after 2011 when they win the division this year.

Impossible, as they have Adam Dunn on their team.