PDA

View Full Version : Upper Deck Concourse

Quentin08
02-13-2011, 11:55 AM
In my opinion, there's something a bit depressing about the upper deck concourse. The murals have improved the aesthetics quite well, but it's still not that pleasant up there. I'm sure some would disagree, however I know a lot of fans concur with my opinion.

With that said, I think adding nice carpet on the concourse would improve the look of the upper deck concourse dramatically. I think that would be a good place to start. A nice carpet would definitely add some class. What do you guys think?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/U.S._Cellular_Field8.jpg/800px-U.S._Cellular_Field8.jpg

Daver
02-13-2011, 11:57 AM
It's a ballpark, not an airport.

Red Barchetta
02-13-2011, 12:14 PM

I agree. It looks a lot better since the enclosed it, however I don't think carpeting would be a solution for a large area with people/kids spilling food & beer, etc. It is not designed like the luxery suites.

However, I agree they could improve the bland concrete on the concourse. Perhaps stamping/staining the concrete to look like cobblestone/brick, etc. Same thing in the lower deck. I always felt the outfield concourse could be "greened up" a little with some trees, etc.

soltrain21
02-13-2011, 02:08 PM
The only that that could fix the concourse is if it was somehow opened up. And that's impossible.

delben91
02-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Chandeliers and a grand piano would be nice...

gobears1987
02-13-2011, 02:26 PM
The only problem I have with the UD concourse is the gap between the glass bricks and the top of the stadium. I had the misfortune of being on the UD the night we had the thunderstorms and tornado against the Braves. It provided some protection, but damn that wind was driving rain right through the gaps. We were all soaked, but I didn't care once they got that game started and the Sox won. (I still can't believe they played it)

Brian26
02-13-2011, 02:41 PM
I'd like the buns to be a little less stale on the brats and polish next year.

Other than that, I spend about two minutes on the concourse during a game and don't really have any complaints.

LITTLE NELL
02-13-2011, 02:46 PM

Or the Ritz-Carlton.

DumpJerry
02-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Given the amount of foot traffic the carpet would experience, it would have to be replaced after every homestand. This would force Kenny to trade Adam Dunn so they can cover the cost from Empire Carpets.

GoGoCrede
02-13-2011, 03:30 PM
The only that that could fix the concourse is if it was somehow opened up. And that's impossible.

Agreed. I don't spend much time on the concourse anyway.

rcescato
02-13-2011, 04:43 PM

I think a 2011 world championship would make the upper deck feel a lot better :):gulp:

soxlady8
02-13-2011, 06:04 PM
The US Cell upper deck area isn't really that bad.
Busch Stadium and Miller Park have "blah" upper areas too.

Hartman
02-13-2011, 09:17 PM
It's the upper deck...it isn't supposed to be classy :D:

Foulke You
02-14-2011, 12:42 AM
It's the upper deck...it isn't supposed to be classy :D:
The new Target Field's Upper Deck areas weren't anything to write home about either. In fact, their concourses in general weren't spectacular although the ballpark is nice.

The lower deck concourse at our ballpark is one of the best around so it's hard for the UD to measure up. Although, I do like the murals they added that blend Chicago history with the team's history.

C-Dawg
02-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Its definately a LOT better than it used to be. I think installing the windscreens (or whatever they're called) made it seem more like being indoors, rather than just tucked away under the stands like the old open-air concourse felt like to me.

cws05champ
02-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Curtains....it definitely needs curtains!

Alexei4president
02-14-2011, 09:34 AM
i 100 percent agree with improving the upper deck area...no carpet though it would just get dirty and nasty..maybe a few improvement with concessions and little historical areas would make it more pleasant

salty99
02-14-2011, 09:38 AM
How about a big tarp over the seats that aren't being used?

MisterB
02-14-2011, 09:51 AM
How about a big tarp over the seats that aren't being used?

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2009/01/14/UqVfZGO6.jpg

"I like the way you think."

SaltyPretzel
02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing them build a few bar areas like they have in the 300 level at the UC.

doublem23
02-14-2011, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing them build a few bar areas like they have in the 300 level at the UC.

But at least at the 300 level at the UC you can sit in the bar areas and see the game... How could that work at Sox Park? You'd basically be paying a $20 cover charge to go to the most expensive bar in a 10-mile radius.

Fenway
02-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Yankee Stadium is a little over the top

http://snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/assets_c/2009/04/15_glorious_outer_concourse-thumb-550x412-1061312.jpg

russ99
02-14-2011, 11:28 AM
But at least at the 300 level at the UC you can sit in the bar areas and see the game... How could that work at Sox Park? You'd basically be paying a $20 cover charge to go to the most expensive bar in a 10-mile radius.

Well, they could build the long-discussed right field bar deck, akin to the fundamentals deck.

Quentin08
02-14-2011, 01:28 PM

The UD already sees enough fights.

Quentin08
02-14-2011, 01:30 PM
I still think they should install carpet up there, like a light silver carpet, with maybe a couple Sox logos on it. Give it a little pizzaz.

If it garnered enough foot traffic to the point where it needed replacement every other off-season, I think Jerry would be elated about that.

Nellie_Fox
02-14-2011, 02:07 PM
I still think they should install carpet up there, like a light silver carpet, with maybe a couple Sox logos on it. Give it a little pizzaz.

If it garnered enough foot traffic to the point where it needed replacement every other off-season, I think Jerry would be elated about that.So you think more people will spend money in the concourse, and more people will buy upper-deck seats, because the concourse has carpet? Really? And said carpet WILL be nasty, beer stained, food stained, almost immediately?

I don't know about you, but I go to watch the game. I spend very little time in the concourse. The only thing that I care about in the concourse is whether the food is good and that it's relatively clean.

djcollie03
02-14-2011, 02:11 PM
As a Season Ticket Holder in the UD, I think they've done a fine job with the murals and addition of many of same stores that are down stairs. The cut off of access to the lower level sort of forced management hands to upgrade the UD experience. Carpet would be too much to keep clean and be really disgusting after big series. I guess they could put doors in to cut off some of the wind issues they experience off the ramps in April... a la the club level experience. Other than that, the UD experience is about watching the game not hanging out in the concourse.

salty99
02-14-2011, 02:28 PM
I say they install Astroturf and allow pets!

doublem23
02-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Yankee Stadium is a little over the top

http://snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/assets_c/2009/04/15_glorious_outer_concourse-thumb-550x412-1061312.jpg

BUT WHERE IS THE CARPETING!?!@

Cheap ass Yankees.

MarkZ35
02-14-2011, 02:45 PM
They'll never install carpet because it is not only a waste of money but it would add a lot extra time to clean. Instead of power washing all the concrete and seats like they do now they would have to shampoo those carpets after every game. Not gonna happen

hi im skot
02-14-2011, 03:22 PM
BUT WHERE IS THE CARPETING!?!@

Cheap ass Yankees.

:rolling:

MARTINMVP
02-14-2011, 09:35 PM
The upper deck is missing the festive atmosphere that the lower level has. Probably has more to do with the fact that those with a UD ticket are not allowed to walk around the lower level. Its psychology more than anything.

I don't think about it too much though. I'm there for the game and when I am doing that, I'm not thinking about the concourse.

ShooterMcGavin
02-14-2011, 09:58 PM
I make it a point to avoid sitting in the upper deck. I have and continue to make exceptions for playoff and Worlds Series games, if the UD is my only option.

Dub25
02-14-2011, 11:37 PM
In my opinion, there's something a bit depressing about the upper deck concourse. The murals have improved the aesthetics quite well, but it's still not that pleasant up there. I'm sure some would disagree, however I know a lot of fans concur with my opinion.

With that said, I think adding nice carpet on the concourse would improve the look of the upper deck concourse dramatically. I think that would be a good place to start. A nice carpet would definitely add some class. What do you guys think?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/U.S._Cellular_Field8.jpg/800px-U.S._Cellular_Field8.jpg

I agree, that's why I don't sit up there.

HomeFish
02-14-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm in the minority here, but I don't find the Upper Deck to be aesthetically displeasing at all. The murals are an excellent touch and make it prettier than the lower deck in some ways.

Rather, the displeasing thing about it is that it is much less densely populated. Once you get out to the edges there is often nobody on the concourse with you.

It's where you sit to save $20, obviously it won't be as good.

When I attended Game 1 of the 2005 World Series (for which I sat in the last row of the UD), I became so nervous that I couldn't sit in my seat, and I started pacing the concourse. I remember nervously eating an entire pretzel while watching Neil Cotts pitch a miraculous scoreless inning on one of those little TVs they have by the stands.

dwitt76
02-15-2011, 07:22 AM
I dont mind sitting up there. Cheaper tickets = More games attended

Red Barchetta
02-15-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm in the minority here, but I don't find the Upper Deck to be aesthetically displeasing at all. The murals are an excellent touch and make it prettier than the lower deck in some ways.

Rather, the displeasing thing about it is that it is much less densely populated. Once you get out to the edges there is often nobody on the concourse with you.

It's where you sit to save $20, obviously it won't be as good.

When I attended Game 1 of the 2005 World Series (for which I sat in the last row of the UD), I became so nervous that I couldn't sit in my seat, and I started pacing the concourse. I remember nervously eating an entire pretzel while watching Neil Cotts pitch a miraculous scoreless inning on one of those little TVs they have by the stands.

I agree. I went up there just to check it out after they completed the renovations and I thought it was a 100% improvement compared to what it was. I remember sitting up there after they opened New Comiskey and hearing the wind blow through the concourse. It really felt like I was away from the action. Since the (partially) enclosed it, it feels like your actually in a ballpark again.

As I posted earlier, I think the SOX could continue with some cheaper cost-effective renovations such as concrete stamping, brickwork, etc. to make it a little more inviting.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Get some metal grating, similar to what's in the LD, and suspend it above the concession roofs; paint it the dark green, and let that "close in" the UD while not cutting down on the light. Oher than that, I love the UD; we sit up there when we do go. Easy to navigate, lots of room and well lit both naturally and artificially.

Bruizer
02-15-2011, 09:32 AM
The upper deck is missing the festive atmosphere that the lower level has. Probably has more to do with the fact that those with a UD ticket are not allowed to walk around the lower level. Its psychology more than anything.

I don't think about it too much though. I'm there for the game and when I am doing that, I'm not thinking about the concourse.

I have season tickets in the UD, so i can go down to the LD anytime, but I choose not too 95% of the time. I find the lower deck concourse way too crowded for my tastes. I prefer the openness and the fact that some of the seats around me are empty so we can spread out a little bit for most games. Good food! Short lines! Great view! :cool:

hi im skot
02-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Upper deck 4 lyfe

ewokpelts
02-15-2011, 10:10 AM

I don't think about it too much though. I'm there for the game and when I am doing that, I'm not thinking about the concourse.by festive atmoosphere you mean people standing around in lines for food and beer? or did you you mean people standing around drinking?

i know that pre-chicago smoking ban, the lower concourse was stand around and drink while smoking.

yes, much better than the upper concourse.

LongLiveFisk
02-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Hiding the underside of the stairs would be nice, but I don't know how much it would improve the overall look.

MARTINMVP
02-15-2011, 10:44 AM
by festive atmoosphere you mean people standing around in lines for food and beer? or did you you mean people standing around drinking?

i know that pre-chicago smoking ban, the lower concourse was stand around and drink while smoking.

yes, much better than the upper concourse.

By festive, I was hoping to mean more lively, more excitement in general.

On a game with low attendance, and the UD is almost like a ghost town, and that takes away from some of the excitement I think. I understand the upside to less people and having more room, but for me, I appreciate the full excitement of being surrounded by other fans, all of us cheering for our team.

There's not much I would change in the UD though. When sitting the actual seats, where you should be the majority of the game, it's fine. You're higher up, but that is what you get for cheaper tickets.

Red Barchetta
02-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Get some metal grating, similar to what's in the LD, and suspend it above the concession roofs; paint it the dark green, and let that "close in" the UD while not cutting down on the light. Oher than that, I love the UD; we sit up there when we do go. Easy to navigate, lots of room and well lit both naturally and artificially.

I agree. That would eliminate the view of the underside of the seating tiers/stairs yet still allow the natural light to come through.

ewokpelts
02-15-2011, 10:55 AM
By festive, I was hoping to mean more lively, more excitement in general.

On a game with low attendance, and the UD is almost like a ghost town, and that takes away from some of the excitement I think. I understand the upside to less people and having more room, but for me, I appreciate the full excitement of being surrounded by other fans, all of us cheering for our team.

There's not much I would change in the UD though. When sitting the actual seats, where you should be the majority of the game, it's fine. You're higher up, but that is what you get for cheaper tickets.low attended games also affect the "mood" of the lower deck.

MARTINMVP
02-15-2011, 05:50 PM
low attended games also affect the "mood" of the lower deck.

I won't dispute that.

For me personally though, I get more affected in the UD, when you combine the surrounding elements that go with being up there.

At the end of the day, not a big deal, it's still a ball game and I'm happy to be there. It's something I never would even bring up, except that someone else did, and I see no harm in expressing my opinion.

nitetrain8601
02-15-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't want Wrigley or Oregon's basketball stadium. Keep the stadium the same please. Just add more fans and wins, then profit.

soltrain21
02-15-2011, 06:19 PM
I don't want Wrigley or Oregon's basketball stadium. Keep the stadium the same please. Just add more fans and wins, then profit.

Wrigley Field makes our concourse look like the Ritz Carlton.

BringHomeDaBacon
02-15-2011, 06:25 PM
The upper deck concourse sucks because you can't see the field and nothing is going to change that.

fox23
02-15-2011, 08:22 PM
The upper deck concourse sucks because you can't see the field and nothing is going to change that.

I believe you've won the award for the most succinct and accurate assessment!

soltrain21
02-15-2011, 09:00 PM
I believe you've won the award for the most succinct and accurate assessment!

Weaksauce. I said that in the fourth post.

fox23
02-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Weaksauce. I said that in the fourth post.

Sorry, but your incomplete sentence in your original post disqualified you from winning today. But you can always win tomorrow!

thomas35forever
02-15-2011, 11:08 PM
I like how they've changed the upper deck, but can they update the murals to include some damn World Series stuff? They've been untouched since the ballpark changed its name. Is such a task that hard?