PDA

View Full Version : Peavy About To Hold A Press Conference

Sockinchisox
02-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Reifert just sent out a tweet about possible breaking news.

http://twitter.com/#!/InsideTheSox/status/35019869137149952 (http://twitter.com/#%21/InsideTheSox/status/35019869137149952)

hi im skot
02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Page doesn't exist.

esbrechtel
02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
good news please....fingers crossed...

esbrechtel
02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
gonzales has a bunch of stuff...

http://twitter.com/#!/MDGonzales

voodoochile
02-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Cool sounds good. Still don't expect him back for OD, but if he can make it back sometime in May that would be great.

Zisk77
02-08-2011, 11:21 AM
He's announcing that he saved lots of money by switching to Geico.

mantis1212
02-08-2011, 11:23 AM
This stuff really just makes me worry he'll come back too soon and hurt himself again.

DirtySox
02-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Cool sounds good. Still don't expect him back for OD, but if he can make it back sometime in May that would be great.

Pretty much. He says he is 60 - 70 percent right now. I don't expect him ready for opening day either.

eriqjaffe
02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
This stuff really just makes me worry he'll come back too soon and hurt himself again.Yeah, this just makes me think of Contreras pushing himself and coming back before he was ready.

guillen4life13
02-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Yeah, this just makes me think of Contreras pushing himself and coming back before he was ready.

Well, to be fair, a 65 year old body is bound to heal slower than a 29 year old body.

mrfourni
02-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Yeah, this just makes me think of Contreras pushing himself and coming back before he was ready.

I usually give Herm Schneider the benefit of the doubt.

salty99
02-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Yup the same with Frank and his broken foot.

JermaineDye05
02-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Ozzie Guillen interrupted Peavy conference call to say "You better be ready for spring training or I'm going to be fired." 26 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/status/35025959702761472) via web
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1170850498/DSCN1905_bigger.JPG (http://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien)
ChuckGarfien (http://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien)

beasly213
02-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Peavy has talked a big game since he got here. It's nice hes ready but I won't be excited until I see results

JermaineDye05
02-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Peavy has talked a big game since he got here. It's nice hes ready but I won't be excited until I see results

To be fair. This is not talking a big game. This is laying out the facts. He's not saying he'll be ready for Opening Day. He's saying he wants to be ready. He's made it clear that he's leaving it up to the medical staff.

soltrain21
02-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Ozzie Guillen interrupted Peavy conference call to say "You better be ready for spring training or I'm going to be fired." 26 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/status/35025959702761472) via web
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1170850498/DSCN1905_bigger.JPG (http://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien)
ChuckGarfien (http://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien)

Hey Ozzie. Can you please shut your mouth about that stuff now? You got your option picked up for next year.

MARTINMVP
02-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Hey Ozzie. Can you please shut your mouth about that stuff now? You got your option picked up for next year.

This.

JermaineDye05
02-08-2011, 11:56 AM

This.

I guess some people can't take a joke.

soltrain21
02-08-2011, 11:56 AM
This.

And, yes, I know he was joking. But it gets old. Maybe it'd be funny if he didn't talk about his contract all the time.

soltrain21
02-08-2011, 11:57 AM

He brings up his contract or how he is going to get fired all of the time. Talks about how rich he is and stuff.

It's annoying. It's a press conference about Peavy's progress. I'd rather not hear a dumb joke from Ozzie about how he is going to get fired.

guillensdisciple
02-08-2011, 12:06 PM

I am with you on this one. I find it funny every time.

Corlose 15
02-08-2011, 12:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=6101618

He says that if he has to miss some time to start the year it should be only 1 or 2 starts.

It seems to me that the surgery was successful and he hasn't had any setbacks related to the detachment healing. At this point he's just trying to increase his strength to offset the atrophy that occurred from him being immobilized for an extended period. That has me optimistic that he's not going to miss much time.

russ99
02-08-2011, 12:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=6101618

He says that is he has to miss some time to start the year it should be only 1 or 2 starts.

It seems to me that the surgery was successful and he hasn't had any setbacks related to the detachment healing. At this point he's just trying to increase his strength to offset the atrophy that occurred from him being immobilized for an extended period. That has me optimistic that he's not going to miss much time.

Good points. I also am concerned Peavy will try to push things too much and risk re-injury.

Seems like it's time for Kenny to work the phones and get us another SP option. Bonderman's not a bad idea.

Tell Jerry I'll buy tickets for 3 more games if a veteran backup SP is added.

Corlose 15
02-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Good points. I also am concerned Peavy will try to push things too much and risk re-injury.

Seems like it's time for Kenny to work the phones and get us another SP option. Bonderman's not a bad idea.

Tell Jerry I'll buy tickets for 3 more games if a veteran backup SP is added.

I think Bonderman is in the same boat as Garcia. He's going to want to have more of an opportunity to start than for maybe a month or 2 at the very most.

slavko
02-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Let me think about it, but right now I feel like betting all of you a lemon cookie that Peavy goes DL at some time this year. I guarantee that he won't be effective until he goes all out. He wasn't in 2010.

gobears1987
02-08-2011, 01:36 PM

It's called a sense of humor. It's a nice thing to have. You'll look at life completely differently once you find one.

WhiteSoxFTW
02-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Peavy has a VOILENT throwing motion. It's been noted by many scouts before the the Sox trade that they wouldn't trade for him due to the likelihood of future shoulder and elbow injuries.

Though I don't wish it to happen, I am fully prepared to see him on the DL again this year. I just hope the Sox are well-prepared for it.

Nellie_Fox
02-08-2011, 01:42 PM

It's called a sense of humor. It's a nice thing to have. You'll look at life completely differently once you find one.Don't start fighting.

soltrain21
02-08-2011, 01:43 PM
It's called a sense of humor. It's a nice thing to have. You'll look at life completely differently once you find one.

I usually get yelled at around here for trying to make a joke out of everything. But. Okay.

Sorry I don't really want to hear about our manager talking about job security all of the time. If he was joking, just this once, it'd be fine. He brings it up a lot. And most of the time he is serious about it. It gets annoying with everything else he has done on top of it. That's all.

DumpJerry
02-08-2011, 01:45 PM
I usually get yelled at around here for trying to make a joke out of everything. But. Okay.

Sorry I don't really want to hear about our manager talking about job security all of the time. If he was joking, just this once, it'd be fine. He brings it up a lot. And most of the time he is serious about it. It gets annoying with everything else he has done on top of it. That's all.
Enough already. Ozzie does not lurk on WSI, so he is unaware of how the five or six people here who don't like him feel. He has, however, given out his email address on numerous occasions, you can let him know directly how you feel about him.

soltrain21
02-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Enough already. Ozzie does not lurk on WSI, so he is unaware of how the five or six people here who don't like him feel.

What the hell am I doing wrong outside of stating my distaste for not liking that our manager talks about being fired more often than he should?

I didn't personally attack anyone. I'm not doing anything wrong.

hi im skot
02-08-2011, 02:04 PM

You questioned the GREAT OZZIE GUILLEN.

The consequences will be dire.

sox1970
02-08-2011, 02:09 PM
I'd rather see a healthy Peavy from June to November, than see him rush back in April. I just don't have a good feeling about this guy--and maybe it's a good thing that Sale is preparing as a starter, even though he's probably better off in the pen this season.

Lip Man 1
02-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Is Sale in fact preparing as a starter? That would seem to run counter to the comments from Don Cooper and Kenny Williams at Sox Fest? Perhaps something has changed that I don't know about.

Lip

DirtySox
02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Is Sale in fact preparing as a starter? That would seem to run counter to the comments from Don Cooper and Kenny Williams at Sox Fest? Perhaps something has changed that I don't know about.

Lip

Almost all articles about Sale this entire offseason have mentioned that is he is preparing to start.

Red Barchetta
02-08-2011, 02:28 PM
I'd rather see a healthy Peavy from June to November, than see him rush back in April. I just don't have a good feeling about this guy--and maybe it's a good thing that Sale is preparing as a starter, even though he's probably better off in the pen this season.

I agree. I can't imagine the SOX will want Peavy to start any cold weather games in April/May. Coop and staff know what's best.

Regardless of his win/loss, ERA, etc. Peavy's presence brings a swagger to the SOX staff. You could feel it building during the extended winning streak last season and even though Jackson came in and performed from a statistical standpoint after Peavy went down, the SOX didn't have the same swagger and confidence.

DumpJerry
02-08-2011, 02:32 PM
What the hell am I doing wrong outside of stating my distaste for not liking that our manager talks about being fired more often than he should?

I did not say you did anything wrong or that you personally attacked anyone. It's just that your complaints about Ozzie are as old and tired as the stuff you complain about. It's kind of like injecting the Blackhawks into the conversation at every opportunity.

hi im skot
02-08-2011, 02:35 PM
I did not say you did anything wrong or that you personally attacked anyone. It's just that your complaints about Ozzie are as old and tired as the stuff you complain about. It's kind of like injecting the Blackhawks into the conversation at every opportunity.

:rolling:

And we know who's guilty of that!

Cuck the Fubs
02-08-2011, 03:26 PM
i did not say you did anything wrong or that you personally attacked anyone. It's just that your complaints about ozzie are as old and tired as the stuff you complain about. It's kind of like injecting the blackhawks into the conversation at every opportunity.

zing! :)

russ99
02-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Almost all articles about Sale this entire offseason have mentioned that is he is preparing to start.

IMO, It's a really smart move. If they need him to start he's stretched out. If the bullpen comes together and doesn't need him, he's stretched out to start in AAA.

If he ends up in the pen when Peavy comes back, no harm done.

DirtySox
02-08-2011, 03:51 PM
IMO, It's a really smart move. If they need him to start he's stretched out. If the bullpen comes together and doesn't need him, he's stretched out to start in AAA.

If he ends up in the pen when Peavy comes back, no harm done.

Absolutely.

Just surprised Lip has missed it. It's been mentioned ad nauseum this winter.

Lip Man 1
02-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Dirty:

No I knew about the earlier comments but as recently as Sox Fest Kenny said he'd be in the bullpen and that he expected Peavy to be ready close to the start of the season.

If this is true, why stretch him out at all?

They could go with Harrell for a few starts. I don't think it's a wise idea to bounce Salke around.

Lip

DirtySox
02-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Dirty:

No I knew about the earlier comments but as recently as Sox Fest Kenny said he'd be in the bullpen and that he expected Peavy to be ready close to the start of the season.

If this is true, why stretch him out at all?

They could go with Harrell for a few starts. I don't think it's a wise idea to bounce Salke around.

Lip

Why not prepare as a starter? Will it negatively impact him? Will it hinder him even if he ends up in the bullpen? I consider it the Sox keeping their options open which they should. There is also as Russ mentioned the possibility he goes to AAA to start after Peavy returns.

Lip Man 1
02-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Dirty:

If you want to send him to the minors then Kenny better be ready to grab another arm for the bullpen...they are one short without Sale in my opinion.

Lip

Noneck
02-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Lip,

Do you think that considering the Sox have 4 durable starters, that it is possible that the Sox would consider letting these starters go deeper in games this year? If these starters average 225-250 innings it would eliminate the need for that extra arm. It would also give Sale the seasoning he needs as a starter in AA. Maybe I am just living in the past on this one.

fox23
02-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Lip,

Do you think that considering the Sox have 4 durable starters, that it is possible that the Sox would consider letting these starters go deeper in games this year? If these starters average 225-250 innings it would eliminate the need for that extra arm. It would also give Sale the seasoning he needs as a starter in AA. Maybe I am just living in the past on this one.

7 starters pitched more than 225 innings last year and only 1 made it to 250 in the entire MLB. That would be both awesome and insane if the Sox had 4 of them do that this year!

russ99
02-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Dirty:

If you want to send him to the minors then Kenny better be ready to grab another arm for the bullpen...they are one short without Sale in my opinion.

Lip

Again, that's me being devil's advocate than anything that was mentioned by the Sox. I guess that depends on how the pen shakes out this spring.

If Thornton or Crain can handle closer and setup and some combination of Santos, Ohman, Pena, Infante and Gray can give us effective middle relief (which is pretty much random from year to year as who can hack it and who can't) the Sox could conceivably keep Sale in the minors.

If the Sox really want Sale to become a top 3 starter as of 2012, a half-season in Charlotte will do him a world of good.

Personally, I'd love to see him close.

As for the higher innings, our guys would be wiped out by the playoffs. The era of 4-starter rotations putting in 7-8 innings per start (early 70s Orioles comes to mind) is long over.

soltrain21
02-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Again, that's me being devil's advocate than anything that was mentioned by the Sox. I guess that depends on how the pen shakes out this spring.

If Thornton or Crain can handle closer and setup and some combination of Santos, Ohman, Pena, Infante and Gray can give us effective middle relief (which is pretty much random from year to year) the Sox could conceivably keep Sale in the minors.

If the Sox really want Sale to become a top 3 starter as of 2012, a half-season in Charlotte will do him a world of good. But personally, I'd love to see him close.

I hope the Sox aren't banking on that. That seems like a tall order in such a short amount of time.

russ99
02-08-2011, 06:12 PM
I hope the Sox aren't banking on that. That seems like a tall order in such a short amount of time.

I'm basing top-3 by contracts.

Jackson and possibly Buehrle could be gone as FAs, and who knows how Peavy's health is going to go.

The 2012 rotation could be Danks, Floyd, Sale, X, X. We have a season to play before we worry about that...

ChiSoxGirl
02-08-2011, 09:18 PM

:roflmao: Love it! Wait... that happens on WSI?! I've never seen it before.

hawkjt
02-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Cooper has been pretty adamant about Sale being in the bullpen in every interview I have heard this offseason.
Sox can get by in April/May plugging someone in for the few starts that a 5th starter gets in ''snow'' season.

This news on Jake is positive. I trust medical science. I think he will be back,better than ever by June. And Sale will be a helluva closer.