PDA

View Full Version : Harry Caray Statue at Wrigley Field Defaced

Viva Medias B's
02-06-2011, 11:42 PM
The Wrigley Field statue of Harry Caray, which now stands outside the bleachers, was defaced with the saying "SOX [something]" spray-painted in white on its base. The second word could not be made out. Needless to say, this has to potential to fan the flames of crosstown angst.

That is shameful, and whoever did it should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chibrknews-harry-caray-statue-at-wrigley-defaced-20110206,0,5112351.story)

1908<2005
02-07-2011, 03:38 AM
Stupid. These are the people that make this fanbase look bad.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-07-2011, 03:45 AM
And this is why there is that belief that all Sox fans are lower class ass-hats. One person has to ruin it for everybody and take it too far. A fun rivalry is one thing but this goes too far. I couldn't even imagine how I'd feel if someone defaced the WS statue.

gobears1987
02-07-2011, 04:28 AM
And this is why there is that belief that all Sox fans are lower class ass-hats. One person has to ruin it for everybody and take it too far. A fun rivalry is one thing but this goes too far. I couldn't even imagine how I'd feel if someone defaced the WS statue.

Given some of the morons that are on both fan bases (make that every sports fan base), watch some Cub fan do just that in an act of "revenge."

The only time it would be OK to deface a statue is if the Cubs give one to Ronnie Woo Woo. In that case, defacing it would be a favor to the Cubs.

TommyJohn
02-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Stupid. These are the people that make this fanbase look bad.

How do we even know that it was a Sox fan that did it? The second word is unintelligible, but it looks like it is supposed to be "bites."

DumpJerry
02-07-2011, 08:06 AM
How do we even know that it was a Sox fan that did it? The second word is unintelligible, but it looks like it is supposed to be "bites."
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the story last night.

Wsoxmike59
02-07-2011, 08:15 AM
But nary a word was said on the Minnie Minoso statue that was vandalized during a Cub-Sox game in 2005.

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/archives/2005/06/minoso_statue_d.html#comments

Viva Medias B's
02-07-2011, 08:51 AM

We don't, but we know that some Cub fans will blame Sox fans for it anyway.

pmck003
02-07-2011, 08:57 AM

If you get creative there's a "C" and an "H" in there as well.

Hitmen77
02-07-2011, 09:16 AM

You're absolutely right. For all I know, it was some idiot Cub fan who wanted to say Sox "bite"(????). Or maybe it was some idiot in general who isn't a big fan of either team, but just some vandal who thought spraying "Sox" on the Harry statue would be funny (which of course, it isn't) and a way to get everyone's attention.

It doesn't matter though. Everyone will assume it was a Sox fan and Cub fans will act like this guy is the #2 Sox fan in the world right after Ligue.

rdwj
02-07-2011, 09:48 AM
But nary a word was said on the Minnie Minoso statue that was vandalized during a Cub-Sox game in 2005.

Was thinking the same thing. There are tons of idiots on both sides of town.

doublem23
02-07-2011, 10:08 AM

No, it just looks like some loser tagged the statue. It's probably supposed to be his little calling card. I bet if you took 10 minutes to walk around Wrigleyville you'd find that same little design painted elsewhere, too.

JermaineDye05
02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Wow, that's horrible. In the words of George Carlin, "some people are really ****ing stupid."

Foulke You
02-07-2011, 10:43 AM

I remember when that happened. It was barely covered in the press. The bat was broken off the statue.

tstrike2000
02-07-2011, 10:50 AM
There's a moron in every crowd.

PaleHoser
02-07-2011, 10:57 AM
This wasn't done by a Sox fan.

A Sox fan would have made sure that if they took the time to do something this stupid, it would have been done right and that the entire message would have been intelligible.

doublem23
02-07-2011, 11:00 AM
This wasn't done by a Sox fan.

A Sox fan would have made sure that if they took the time to do something this stupid, it would have been done right and that the entire message would have been intelligible.

Teal implied, I hope.

Just because you or I can't read the message, that doesn't inherently mean it's unintelligible, likely, we just don't know what those symbols mean. There's random tagging all the time in my neighborhood, and it's never in straightforward English, it's usually a couple of quick strokes and you're off, but the same symbols keep popping up in random places, so they obviously mean something. I mean, what do you expect, the guy to write Go Sox! and then leave his name and address? I'd be willing to bet almost anything the 2nd word is his little signature or gang affiliation or whatever and I'd also be willing to bet if you were to just walk a few blocks around Wrigley you'd see the same symbol pop up on a dumpster or on the side of a building or wherever. That's what these little douchebags do.

At any rate, it's not that big of a deal. The Cubs were able to get the paint off and, news flash, there are moron Cub and Sox fans out there, the baseball team you root for has very little to do with your intelligence.

C-Dawg
02-07-2011, 01:16 PM
I just overheard some Cub fans here at the office talking about the statue. They're certain Sox fans did it.

I had to walk over and agree with them. I told them there's no WAY a Cub fan would vandalize a statue of his favorite player!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-07-2011, 02:32 PM
I just overheard some Cub fans here at the office talking about the statue. They're certain Sox fans did it.

I had to walk over and agree with them. I told them there's no WAY a Cub fan would vandalize a statue of his favorite player!

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/i_see_what_you_did_there_resize.jpg

PaleHoser
02-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Teal implied, I hope.

Of course.

I'm off to fire my proofreader now.

bigsoxfan420
02-07-2011, 04:06 PM

I thought it was just the taggers "signature" and not an actual word that is supposed to have meaning. Now the tagger who did that has a lot of press and the rest of the tagging community knows who it was. Also, putting "Sox" there was just a way for the vandalism to to be covered by the media. If it was just something random or a gang sign the coverage of it would be over much quicker.

Marqhead
02-07-2011, 04:26 PM
From now on, every time you write your name in grafitti on public property, we're going to put the word "Sucks" right under it. That's right. Instead of being Mr. Cool, everyone's going to think you suck. Our trained staff of police artists will make it look like you wrote it.

For two-time offenders, we're going to put "Sucks Big Time". Think how embarrassed you'll be when your friends see your name that way. I know I'd be.

So, the next time you think about defacing public property, think about this. In your face, punk!

TommyJohn
02-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I thought it was just the taggers "signature" and not an actual word that is supposed to have meaning. Now the tagger who did that has a lot of press and the rest of the tagging community knows who it was. Also, putting "Sox" there was just a way for the vandalism to to be covered by the media. If it was just something random or a gang sign the coverage of it would be over much quicker.

Well, I don't know if that's true, about the reason "Sox" is on there, but the "btes" being a gang sign sounds very plausible.

And just this morning one of my Facebook friends posted a pic of it and rattled on about how this shows how all Sox fans are uneducated morons. When asked how she knew it wasn't a Cub fan her reply was to the effect that Cub fans wouldn't do that to their team's property. I wanted to post a rant about Steve Bartman and garbage throwing idiots, but I simply unfriended her. I don't have time to be Facebook friends with idiots who post that kind of rotting garbage.

LongLiveFisk
02-08-2011, 12:16 AM
From now on, every time you write your name in grafitti on public property, we're going to put the word "Sucks" right under it. That's right. Instead of being Mr. Cool, everyone's going to think you suck. Our trained staff of police artists will make it look like you wrote it.

For two-time offenders, we're going to put "Sucks Big Time". Think how embarrassed you'll be when your friends see your name that way. I know I'd be.

So, the next time you think about defacing public property, think about this. In your face, punk!

SNL with Rudy Giuliani. :cool:

LongLiveFisk
02-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Well, I don't know if that's true, about the reason "Sox" is on there, but the "btes" being a gang sign sounds very plausible.

And just this morning one of my Facebook friends posted a pic of it and rattled on about how this shows how all Sox fans are uneducated morons. When asked how she knew it wasn't a Cub fan her reply was to the effect that Cub fans wouldn't do that to their team's property. I wanted to post a rant about Steve Bartman and garbage throwing idiots, but I simply unfriended her. I don't have time to be Facebook friends with idiots who post that kind of rotting garbage.

Way to paint with a broad brush there, sister. People who do this are no better than the idiots who deface property.

No loss there.

doublem23
02-08-2011, 01:18 AM

It doesn't even have to be a gang sign, it's likely just this little loser's handle.

This is really not a big deal, and any Cub fan that makes it out to be, kindly remind them that their "awesome" fans broke Minnie Minoso's bat a few years back, so, what comes around...

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-08-2011, 07:55 AM
This is really not a big deal, and any Cub fan that makes it out to be, kindly remind them that their "awesome" fans broke Minnie Minoso's bat a few years back, so, what comes around...

Doub:

By giving them this lead, doesn't that imply that a Sox fan DID do it? If we make the correlation that a Cub fan broke Minoso's statue, then by saying the above we imply that a Sox fan caused this damage?

Ignore it. It's not news.

white sox bill
02-08-2011, 08:14 AM
This non-story was on Rockford news last night but no reference was made as to who the offenders may have been.

Didn't we take the heat a number of yrs ago when a section of the sacred ivy on the outfield walls at Wrigley all of a sudden died? Shortly after the Sox were there, implying a Sox fan dumped weed killer on them?

What else can we take the blame for???

doublem23
02-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Doub:

By giving them this lead, doesn't that imply that a Sox fan DID do it? If we make the correlation that a Cub fan broke Minoso's statue, then by saying the above we imply that a Sox fan caused this damage?

IMO, it's pretty obvious a Sox fan did this.

moochpuppy
02-08-2011, 09:34 AM
We don't, but we know that some Cub fans will blame Sox fans for it anyway.

And I would bet that most "Cub fans" don't even know Harry announced on the Southside long before he became one of their most beloved.

Hell, they probably don't even know his longest tenure was with the hated St. Louis Cardinals.

DSpivack
02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
And I would bet that most "Cub fans" don't even know Harry announced on the Southside long before he became one of their most beloved.

Hell, they probably don't even know his longest tenure was with the hated St. Louis Cardinals.

How many Sox fans know that?

TheVulture
02-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Graffiti is so unusual in Chicago, this is shocking.

kittle42
02-08-2011, 03:39 PM

Aside from us here? Probably not too many under the age of 35.

GlassSox
02-08-2011, 03:42 PM

Me for 1

DonnieDarko
02-08-2011, 04:21 PM

*raises hand*

moochpuppy
02-08-2011, 04:57 PM
I would love to hear Harry and Jimmy P back in the booth one more time. :gulp:

RadioheadRocks
02-08-2011, 11:42 PM

Me for 1

Same here, not to mention his one year with the Oakland A's (1970). :tongue: