PDA

View Full Version : Why can't the White Sox do this?

Fenway
02-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Futures at Fenway is one of my favorite days of the summer....

It is a win, win for everybody - fans and the kids who get a chance to play at Fenway.

I also don't understand why the White Sox don't have at least one minor league team close to Chicago (see Midwest League)

Indianapolis would be a great AAA market and in A you have Lake County, Kane County, South Bend, Ft. Wayne and West Michigan as possible places to expand the White Sox brand.

The Yankees and Mets even have A teams in Staten island and Brooklyn.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/02/futures_at_fenw_1.html

SI1020
02-05-2011, 09:38 AM
The White Sox had a AAA affiliate in Iowa from 73-74 and 76-80. They also had one in Indianapolis from 57-59 and 62-67.

Fenway
02-05-2011, 09:50 AM
The White Sox had a AAA affiliate in Iowa from 73-74 and 76-80. They also had one in Indianapolis from 57-59 and 62-67.

Boston has 3 teams within 100 miles of Fenway - SS A -Lowell, AA - Portland and the crown jewel - AAA - Pawtucket.

I have had several Chicago baseball nuts go to Pawtucket and they all said the same thing - "Wow...this place is heaven." I have yet to meet a person who has gone to McCoy Stadium and did not enjoy it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/McCoy_Stadium_Pan.jpg

Portland, Maine is almost as good.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2008/12/18/tk43bi2T.jpg

Soxman24
02-05-2011, 11:13 AM
I have always wondered the same thing. I give props to the Cubs for having the Peoria Chiefs kind of close to home.

Fenway
02-05-2011, 11:18 AM
I have always wondered the same thing. I give props to the Cubs for having the Peoria Chiefs kind of close to home.

and the Iowa Flubbies in AAA - still having a minor league DH at the Cell would be fun. There is NO downside to doing it.

Soxman24
02-05-2011, 11:21 AM
and the Iowa Flubbies in AAA - still having a minor league DH at the Cell would be fun. There is NO downside to doing it.

They have had the opportunities to do it. Both Kane County and Fort Wayne changed affiliates within the last few years.

Iron Dragon2
02-05-2011, 05:50 PM
The Sox used to have South Bend as their low A affiliate several years ago, I believe.

I live in Fort Wayne and, of course, would LOVE to see them become Sox affiliates.

Fenway
02-05-2011, 06:15 PM
They have had the opportunities to do it. Both Kane County and Fort Wayne changed affiliates within the last few years.

Manchester, NH has a AA team - Toronto - and the owner wants Boston badly - but Portand, Maine has worked well.

NYY now has AAA in Scranton ( which strangely has always been NYY not Phillies) and AA Trenton.

I concede that New England is a market where it is easy for Boston to place clubs - but the White Sox should be in the Midwest League and not the South Atlantic. in low A

AA - no easy fit to Chicago - Cleveland has a team in the Eastern League in Ohio but I can't see the league going west of that.

AAA? Indianapolis would be the best fit. They can not be thrilled being a Pittsburgh team.

Boston has always used the Sally instead of the Midwest and right now is in Greenville SC. The irony is the park is next to the Joe Jackson Museum which is a White Sox shrine.

Greenville people now love the Red Sox as they are still bitter at how Atlanta pulled the AA team. I was actually stunned by it.

DonnieDarko
02-05-2011, 06:16 PM
For the sake of comparison here, what does the Knights' ballpark look like at dusk?

Daver
02-05-2011, 06:29 PM
The White Sox have long preferred to keep their upper level affiliates in the same geographic area to cut travel costs for scouts and roaming instructors.

voodoochile
02-05-2011, 06:43 PM
For the sake of comparison here, what does the Knights' ballpark look like at dusk?

Don't see what that matters, but I'm sure you can Google it and find pics.

I haven't been to many minor league stadiums. I was not impressed with the A-ball Cleveland stadium in Kinston NC when I went to see the WS team there several years ago. On the other hand I did enjoy the Dayton Dragons (Reds AAA affiliate I believe) the few times I have gone. They built a nice retro stadium downtown Dayton close to the rivers which seats about 20K IIRC and has picnic seating on open grass sections in the OF where most teams have bleachers. Place is clean and modern while still giving a very nice feel for old time baseball with lots of wrought iron fixtures around and excellent amenities too.

A. Cavatica
02-05-2011, 07:13 PM
The White Sox have long preferred to keep their upper level affiliates in the same geographic area to cut travel costs for scouts and roaming instructors.

Would the minor league teams draw more if they were close to Chicago? That would offset the travel costs. Charlotte and Birmingham are big minor league markets, but so is Indy.

Wolfram Alpha should be able to tell me the closest minor league teams to Chicago, but it said "development of this topic is under investigation". Fail.

doublem23
02-05-2011, 09:24 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/travel/travelguide.cgi?location=60606&radius=100

DumpJerry
02-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Would the minor league teams draw more if they were close to Chicago? That would offset the travel costs. Charlotte and Birmingham are big minor league markets, but so is Indy.

Wolfram Alpha should be able to tell me the closest minor league teams to Chicago, but it said "development of this topic is under investigation". Fail.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/travel/travelguide.cgi?location=60606&radius=100
The Chicago area is home to the highest number of minor league baseball teams in the country.

Daver
02-05-2011, 10:36 PM
The Chicago area is home to the highest number of minor league baseball teams in the country.

Almost all of them are in unaffiliated leagues that are struggling to survive.

doublem23
02-06-2011, 06:31 AM

Yeah but they're all ****ty independent league teams.

Fenway
02-06-2011, 11:26 AM

http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/AAA/charlotte2.jpg

The team has trouble drawing as the park is actually in South Carolina

Fenway
02-06-2011, 11:55 AM

I had a long time scout tell me that clubs based in the north should have at least one minor league team play in a climate similar to the parent club to see how players adjust to playing in cooler conditions in the spring.

Boston has 3 teams in New England, and 2 in the south = Greenville, SC and Salem, Va.

When Atlanta pulled the AA team out, the City of Greenville decided to build a new stadium downtown to attract a team and it worked.

The old stadium still stands rotting away - it was built in 1984
http://greenvillerec.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/muniopp10.jpg

The new ballpark downtown is a gem
http://www.thrivedowntown.com/wp-content/uploads/businessprofiles/49da7_pic04.jpg

asindc
02-06-2011, 01:47 PM
The Sox used to have South Bend as their low A affiliate several years ago, I believe.

I live in Fort Wayne and, of course, would LOVE to see them become Sox affiliates.

Yes they did. The South Bend White Sox played in downtown South Bend for several years. Never made sense to me that the organization gave that up.

Huisj
02-06-2011, 02:10 PM
http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/AAA/charlotte2.jpg

The team has trouble drawing as the park is actually in South Carolina

Man, Charlotte's stadium looks like a piece of junk compared to the single-A stadium I go to a lot here in Lansing.

A. Cavatica
02-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Yes they did. The South Bend White Sox played in downtown South Bend for several years. Never made sense to me that the organization gave that up.

I think we had a team in Appleton before that.

Corlose 15
02-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Futures at Fenway is one of my favorite days of the summer....

It is a win, win for everybody - fans and the kids who get a chance to play at Fenway.

I also don't understand why the White Sox don't have at least one minor league team close to Chicago (see Midwest League)

Indianapolis would be a great AAA market and in A you have Lake County, Kane County, South Bend, Ft. Wayne and West Michigan as possible places to expand the White Sox brand.

The Yankees and Mets even have A teams in Staten island and Brooklyn.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/02/futures_at_fenw_1.html

West Michigan is the Tigers A team and I cannot see that changing.

ewokpelts
02-07-2011, 12:21 PM
sox have hosted a few COLLEGE games, but nothing with thier minor league teams.

getonbckthr
02-07-2011, 04:40 PM
What about the team in Gary are they affiliated with anyone?

Soxman24
02-07-2011, 04:58 PM
What about the team in Gary are they affiliated with anyone?

If you are referring to the Railcats then no. They were part of the Northern League.

Bucky F. Dent
02-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Bring the AAA team to Indy, PLEASE!!!!

Moses_Scurry
02-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Bring the AAA team to Indy, PLEASE!!!!

Yes. This needs to be done immediately!

Hitmen77
02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Almost all of them are in unaffiliated leagues that are struggling to survive.

Yeah but they're all ****ty independent league teams.

Yep, only the Kane County Cougars are affiliated (Royals A-level team) with a MLB team in Chicagoland.

The Joliet Jackhammers have had financial difficulty, owed hundreds of thousands in unpaid bills and have now been sold and re-named.

The Schaumburg Flyers owe more than $900,000 in unpaid rent, are facing eviction, and are expected to be sold.
http://triblocal.com/schaumburg/2011/01/20/flyers-eviction-postponed-sale-expected/

I do wish the Sox would return to the Midwest League. It would be nice to go to a Cougars game to see Sox prospects when that team visits Kane Co.

palehozenychicty
02-11-2011, 05:26 AM
I remember Mike Cameron and Radinsky coming through the Bend as a Midwest Leaguer. I was already a Sox fan from visiting Old Comiskey, but the A affiliate cemented my fandom. I can't think of an easier way to get more local support.

fox23
02-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Man, Charlotte's stadium looks like a piece of junk compared to the single-A stadium I go to a lot here in Lansing.

It is. I went there last year to catch a game. Rather than build a place in Charlotte, they decided to build it across the border in South Carolina. You get off the highway and drive for a few miles through the middle of nowhere until you reach the park. Just a huge concrete lot surrounding the park with nothing else. The one nice thing about the place is that there's no seats downstairs past the bases. It is an open area for kids to run around and goof off while at the game. When I went there, there must have been 500 kids from little league teams at the game playing their own games in that area. Every foul ball was a crazy free for all!

Lamp81
02-23-2011, 02:39 PM
The Sox also did have a A team in Burlington Iowa is the 90s, IIRC.

I've heard that the KC Cougars do not want a Chicago affiliation, as they don't want to alienate part of their potential attendees. I know if the Cougars were a Cub affiliate, I wouldn't want to support them. Personally, I'd love the Cougars to be a Sox affiliate, but I understand why KC doesn't want the Sox.

If the Sox can save money by having most of their affiliates in the same region, I don't have a problem with that. The way Kenny runs the minor leagues, we see very few of those players in Sox uniforms anyway.

CPditka
02-23-2011, 03:42 PM

I do understand this, but I would think that the opportunity cost of recruiting more fans would far exceed this. Especially in a battleground state/area like Indy. They dont have a team, and people dont really know who to root for. After going to college @ Purdue I can tell you that the Indy metro area is a hodgepodge of Reds/Cubs/Cards/Sox. Prob in that order.

With minor league costs much suppressed in comparison to MLB, this would be a great way to get kids involved. Especially if we could tie in the team name, IE. Indy White Sox, or Indy Pale Hose.

At a minimum try to get into the midwest league. South Bend/Fort Wayne would be nice as well.