PDA

View Full Version : Sean McAdam - White Sox are the favorites in AL Central

Fenway
02-04-2011, 08:57 PM
http://www.csnne.com/02/04/11/Sean-McAdam-Previewing-the-AL-Central/landing_redsox.html?blockID=404461&feedID=3352

DirtySox
02-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Who?

Fenway
02-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Who?

Sean wrote for ESPN for years when with Providence Journal - CSN offered him big $$$ to jump. He has been Red Sox beat writer for 20 years, HoF voter, good writer.

FireMariotti
02-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Who?:o: He's from Boston! Sports mecca of the world! Hello?

chisox77
02-04-2011, 10:02 PM
I'll take the props, but would rather wait for all of this to play out. But I have a pretty good feeling about 2011 . . . and not just for the division crown . . .

SOX ADDICT '73
02-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Y'know, I always feel like the Sox are the "on-paper" favorites to win the Central, but I'd feel a whole lot better about it if a giant sinkhole would swallow up the entire Twins franchise, down to the last batting doughnut.

Fenway
02-04-2011, 10:17 PM
:o: He's from Boston! Sports mecca of the world! Hello?

Sean was happy in Providence and turned down offers in Boston - but when the Dallas News bought the Providence paper they said he could only cover home games. CSN swept in and hired the entire Journal sports department including the editor.

He gives a fair and objective look at the AL Central.

tstrike2000
02-04-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm excited about this year's team, too, but the Sox have had several really good on paper teams. Then at the end of the season it's Minnesota coming out ahead. Beckham will need to be more consistant at the plate, Paulie hopefully not regressing too much, Pierre having a decent OBP, and TCQ bouncing back would be nice. If we can find some stablility at closer, our chances will be good.

spawn
02-04-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm excited about this year's team, too, but the Sox have had several really good on paper teams. Then at the end of the season it's Minnesota coming out ahead. Beckham will need to be more consistant at the plate, Paulie hopefully not regressing too much, Pierre having a decent OBP, and TCQ bouncing back would be nice. If we can find some stablility at closer, our chances will be good.
Yeah...I don't put any stock in these off season prognostications. I just want them to beat the ****ing Twins. Then take it from there.

WhiteSox5187
02-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Y'know, I always feel like the Sox are the "on-paper" favorites to win the Central, but I'd feel a whole lot better about it if a giant sinkhole would swallow up the entire Twins franchise, down to the last batting doughnut.

I think we have had the best team "on paper" every year since 2002 with the exception of 2008 and every year but two the Twins finish ahead of us.

DSpivack
02-04-2011, 11:25 PM
I think we have had the best team "on paper" every year since 2002 with the exception of 2008 and every year but two the Twins finish ahead of us.

I thought most outlets had us picked 3rd or 4th before 2005.

DumpJerry
02-04-2011, 11:37 PM
The article does not make a prediction of who will win the ALC, just that the Sox, Twins and Tigers are the strongest teams in the division and the Royals have the best prospects. He lists the teams in alphabetical order, not order of predicted finish.

I did love his "Biggest subtraction" from the Sox. That is why Bobby is gone-he was too big.

ChiSoxGirl
02-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Yeah...I don't put any stock in these off season prognostications. I just want them to beat the ****ing Twins. Then take it from there.

You know it!

Foulke You
02-05-2011, 01:13 AM
He gives a fair and objective look at the AL Central.
I thought it was a fair analysis. Here is my take:

The Twins rely heavily on Liriano and asking Pavano and Duensing to repeat what they did in 2010 might be hoping for too much. They also have to rebuild their ENTIRE bullpen and are completely dependent on Joe Nathan making a 100% return to his all star closer form after Tommy John. They lost both of their veteran middle infielders in Hardy and Hudson. The new 2B is an unproven import from Japan and the SS is the always inconsistent Alexi Casilla. If it was any other team but the Twins, I would have them all but counted out for being a threat next year but I've learned to never count them out no matter how much they turn that roster over. They are far overdue for a disappointing season though...here is hoping it happens in 2011.

The Tigers are a much harder team to figure out. They certainly have some thunder in the lineup with Cabrera/Victor/Maggs but they are an older team overall and outside of Verlander, they might have some question marks in the rotation. Joaquin Benoit and Jose Valverde should make a good 8th/9th inning tandem for them though and make it tough on opposing teams once they have a lead.

The Sox have been analyzed to death here on WSI but I do believe that what this writer said was true. The Sox have the best starting rotation in the division and pitching should win out if the team can score runs for them. Beckham and Quentin are the offensive keys to our success. They could really make this line up a murderer's row if they play the way they are capable of. Obviously, Peavy's health and effectiveness after surgery is the other X factor.

Should be a fun 3 horse race to the finish. I just wish the season was starting sooner! :cool:

tstrike2000
02-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Two people McAdam doesn't mention that could also loom large are Jackson and Peavy. Jackson year long consistancy is one thing, but having a fairly healthy Peavy for most of the year will be big. Will be interesting to see how his progress is with pitchers and catchers reporting in 12 days and the regular season less than two months away.

palehozenychicty
02-05-2011, 08:38 AM
I thought it was a fair analysis. Here is my take:

The Twins rely heavily on Liriano and asking Pavano and Duensing to repeat what they did in 2010 might be hoping for too much. They also have to rebuild their ENTIRE bullpen and are completely dependent on Joe Nathan making a 100% return to his all star closer form after Tommy John. They lost both of their veteran middle infielders in Hardy and Hudson. The new 2B is an unproven import from Japan and the SS is the always inconsistent Alexi Casilla. If it was any other team but the Twins, I would have them all but counted out for being a threat next year but I've learned to never count them out no matter how much they turn that roster over. They are far overdue for a disappointing season though...here is hoping it happens in 2011.

The Tigers are a much harder team to figure out. They certainly have some thunder in the lineup with Cabrera/Victor/Maggs but they are an older team overall and outside of Verlander, they might have some question marks in the rotation. Joaquin Benoit and Jose Valverde should make a good 8th/9th inning tandem for them though and make it tough on opposing teams once they have a lead.

The Sox have been analyzed to death here on WSI but I do believe that what this writer said was true. The Sox have the best starting rotation in the division and pitching should win out if the team can score runs for them. Beckham and Quentin are the offensive keys to our success. They could really make this line up a murderer's row if they play the way they are capable of. Obviously, Peavy's health and effectiveness after surgery is the other X factor.

Should be a fun 3 horse race to the finish. I just wish the season was starting sooner! :cool:

Wise words, my friend. Wise words. I too think Detroit will be a bigger problem if Porcello and Scherzer give them anything.