PDA

View Full Version : Evans' Masterful Work w/the Dodgers

hold2dibber
07-02-2002, 05:17 PM
After reading the following article about the truly amazing work Dan Evans has done in putting together the Dodgers starting rotation, you might be distressed that the Sox let Evans walk away.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/rogers_phil/1401420.html

But don't forget, KW has put together quite an impressive starting rotation himself. Unfortunately, however, that rotation works in Pittsburgh.

doublem23
07-02-2002, 05:27 PM
:whiner:

The milk spilled... Get over it.

PHIL ROGERS? LOL! The Cubune to the rescue, letting all distressed Sox fans their team sucks! *****!

Trust me, it will be a frigid day in hell when I give two ****s about what Phil Rogers (LOL) wrote.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2002-04/2565200.jpg
Bla bla bla... You suck, Sox fans! Bla bla bla...

Dadawg_77
07-02-2002, 05:31 PM
LA also has a preety good organzation around Evens. The top Asst. GM, (forgot her name) is consider one of the best canidates for open GM jobs. And News corp can and does spend more money then Uncle Jerry.

Daver
07-02-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
LA also has a preety good organzation around Evens. The top Asst. GM, (forgot her name) is consider one of the best canidates for open GM jobs. And News corp can and does spend more money then Uncle Jerry.

Not to mention they have one of the finest scouting staffs in all of baseball,and Tommy Lasorda overseeing things doesn't hurt either.Danny Evans inherited most of that pitching staff from his predescessor,his most significant move has been trading away Gary Sheffeild.

hold2dibber
07-02-2002, 05:38 PM

It is true that they spend more than JR, but Evans has successfully identified diamonds in the rough (i.e., Daal and Perez), whereas KW's attempt to do so has been an unmitigated disaster thus far (Ritchie). Now, I was one who thought Ritchie was a good pick up, although I thought KW overpaid by one pitcher. And that's not really a matter of having $, that's a matter of creativity and talent. In fact, when you don't have a lot of $, creativity and talent is a must. I hope KW has it -- maybe it's just a matter of experience (after all, his most recent trade, Guerrier for Marte, is looking great) and he'll improve. But my patience has worn thin at this point.

And I won't get over it -- I'm a Sox fan, so I have every right to be bitter and to bear a grudge. :smile:

Randar68
07-02-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by daver

Not to mention they have one of the finest scouting staffs in all of baseball,and Tommy Lasorda overseeing things doesn't hurt either.Danny Evans inherited most of that pitching staff from his predescessor,his most significant move has been trading away Gary Sheffeild.

Also throw in that the Dodgers have a nearly limitless budget in their pursuit of Latin American and Asian talent.

DrCrawdad
07-02-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I hope KW has it -- maybe it's just a matter of experience (after all, his most recent trade, Guerrier for Marte, is looking great) and he'll improve. But my patience has worn thin at this point.

Guerrier won 18 games last year, right? I just glanced at his stats this year.
Player........W/L.. ERA... G.. GS. CG. SHO. SV. IP.. H.... R... ER... HR. BB. SO _
M Guerrier 3/10.. 5.42. 17. 0... 2.... 1...... 0.. 98. 104. 65. 59.. 13.. 33. 78

Was Guerrier a closer last year with the Sox? What do you think accounts for what appears to me to be Guerrier's struggling this season?

Daver
07-02-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Guerrier won 18 games last year, right? I just glanced at his stats this year.
Player........W/L.. ERA... G.. GS. CG. SHO. SV. IP.. H.... R... ER... HR. BB. SO _
M Guerrier 3/10.. 5.42. 17. 0... 2.... 1...... 0.. 98. 104. 65. 59.. 13.. 33. 78

Was Guerrier a closer last year with the Sox? What do you think accounts for what appears to me to be Guerrier's struggling this season?

Guerrier was a starter in low A ball,or rookie league,his problem right now is that he is facing oppostion that he can't simply overpower.

Randar68
07-02-2002, 06:00 PM

Guerrier was a starter in low A ball,or rookie league,his problem right now is that he is facing oppostion that he can't simply overpower.

Matt won 18 games between AA and AAA last year as a starter. The problem is, it was a fluke.

I said last season that I didn't think he'd be much better than a middle reliever....

Daver
07-02-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Matt won 18 games between AA and AAA last year as a starter. The problem is, it was a fluke.

I said last season that I didn't think he'd be much better than a middle reliever....

Allrighty then who the heck was I thinking of Randar....I'm drawing a blank...

Randar68
07-02-2002, 06:07 PM

Allrighty then who the heck was I thinking of Randar....I'm drawing a blank...

Joe Curerri? Joe Valentine? No idea man!

Must have been an acid flash-back. :D:

Daver
07-02-2002, 06:10 PM

Joe Curerri? Joe Valentine? No idea man!

Must have been an acid flash-back. :D:

Bingo, Joe Valentine.Thanx.

DrCrawdad
07-02-2002, 06:12 PM

Just curious, what were your thoughts on Kip and Fogg?

hold2dibber
07-02-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
:whiner:

The milk spilled... Get over it.

PHIL ROGERS? LOL! The Cubune to the rescue, letting all distressed Sox fans their team sucks! *****!

Trust me, it will be a frigid day in hell when I give two ****s about what Phil Rogers (LOL) wrote.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2002-04/2565200.jpg
Bla bla bla... You suck, Sox fans! Bla bla bla...

I'm probably gonna get blasted for this, but I'm not sure that I understand the disdain for Phil Rogers. I mean, he writes some moronic things on occassion, but I haven't noticed any particular bias on his part (although I must admit that I don't ever read anything he or anyone else writes about the Cubs, so I don't know everything he has written). He choose Matt Stairs over PK last year as the best 1B in town, which, of course, was absurd. But on the other hand, he picked Maggs over Sham-Me this year. Does anyone have any specifics on what Rogers has done to piss you off?

kermittheefrog
07-02-2002, 08:53 PM

G-man started out a closer but the Sox liked him enough to make him a starter. Last year he pitched at AA & AAA, he doesn't throw very hard.

soxtalker
07-02-2002, 10:42 PM

I believe that the Asst. GM that you are talking about is Kim Ng. She started out with the Sox and then moved onto the Yankees as Asst. GM behind Brian Cashman. She took a few months off when her contract ended. Evans asked her to join him in LA.

I know that it is highly unlikely that JR would fire KW (or that KW would leave on his own anytime soon), but she sounds like an intriguing possibility as a GM candidate. Asst. GM's don't usually get much notice, but she has -- and it has only been positive.

voodoochile
07-02-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker

I believe that the Asst. GM that you are talking about is Kim Ng. She started out with the Sox and then moved onto the Yankees as Asst. GM behind Brian Cashman. She took a few months off when her contract ended. Evans asked her to join him in LA.

I know that it is highly unlikely that JR would fire KW (or that KW would leave on his own anytime soon), but she sounds like an intriguing possibility as a GM candidate. Asst. GM's don't usually get much notice, but she has -- and it has only been positive.

Would that be the first female GM in major men's sports history? At least JR would have a PC choice to swap for KW if he decided to let Kenny go...

soxtalker
07-02-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Would that be the first female GM in major men's sports history? At least JR would have a PC choice to swap for KW if he decided to let Kenny go...

It might very well be. I can't think of a female GM in the NBA, NFL, or NHL. The reports on her all seem to imply that she's very sharp -- knows the business/game and makes good decisions.

LongDistanceFan
07-03-2002, 06:04 AM

The reports on her all seem to imply that she's very sharp -- knows the business/game and makes good decisions. something that kw hasn't shown.

hold2dibber
07-03-2002, 07:07 AM

It might very well be. I can't think of a female GM in the NBA, NFL, or NHL. The reports on her all seem to imply that she's very sharp -- knows the business/game and makes good decisions.

Yeah, but what type of player personnel decision making authority does an Asst GM have? It's one thing to say that she's made some great decisions with respect to finding a spring training facility or leading the development of an organization-wide intranet, it is quite another to be making decisions about whether the team should trade Joe Crede for Jeff Weaver.

34 Inch Stick
07-03-2002, 08:17 AM
....or Kip Wells, Josh Fogg and Sean Lowe for Todd Ritchie. See it isn't that difficult.

She fits the bill for Jerry's social progressivism. He would be able to hire a woman and an Asian all at the same time and the Comissioner's office wouldn't even have to give him direction on the move.

oldcomiskey
07-03-2002, 09:27 AM
oh yeah right---was real impressed by him giving sheffield away---makes a tossing noise with his fingers

hold2dibber
07-03-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
oh yeah right---was real impressed by him giving sheffield away---makes a tossing noise with his fingers

Huh? That turned out to be a lopsided trade in the Dodgers favor. Brian Jordan is performing at about the same level as Sheffield and Odalis Perez has been the 2nd best starter in the NL after Schilling (he's like 9-3 with an ERA well under 3). Plus, Sheffield desparately wanted out of LA and was a source of serious clubhouse problems. The Dodgers lead the NL West largely because of that trade.

oldcomiskey
07-03-2002, 11:43 AM
the jury is still out on that one--be honest would you have traded frank or konerko for those two--especially jordan who is thisclose to being washed up

seventytwo
07-03-2002, 12:11 PM
Odalis Perez has been the second best starter in the NL?

Wonder what the Unit and Tom Glavine think about that.

hold2dibber
07-03-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by seventytwo
Odalis Perez has been the second best starter in the NL?

Wonder what the Unit and Tom Glavine think about that.

Those three guys are all pretty much equal, if you look at the numbers. You could argue on behalf of any of the three. In any case, Perez has certainly been one of the best 4 pitchers in the NL so far. The numbers:

W/L: Glavine 11-3; Johnson 12-3; Perez 9-4
ERA: Glavine 1.99; Johnson 2.46; Perez 2.56
WHIP: Glavine 1.10; Johnson 1.06; Perez 0.88
Batting Average Against: Glavine .230; Johnson .221; Perez .210

And don't forget how much of a distraction Sheffield had become and how he had made it clear that he wanted out. Hell, even if Jordan hadn't been included in the deal, it would still have been a good trade (at least up to this point -- I make no prediction about how Sheffield or Perez will perform going forward).

pudge
07-03-2002, 04:24 PM

Just curious, what were your thoughts on Kip and Fogg?

I'm dying to hear Randar's reply to this...