PDA

View Full Version : Williams and trades

Jerry_Manuel
07-02-2002, 03:40 PM
According to the article in the Trib, if the team is in the hunt he'll make a deal. Granted, we know it won't be a blockbuster deal, but it will be something. With that said, I just wanted to see who the posters at WSI would want gone and who they don't want to see moved.

Let's try and be realistic folks, we know nobody is taking Royce, so drop him from you list.

I do not want to see Crede, Borchard, Malone, Rauch, or Ginter moved.

As for players I'd like to see vanish, I'll go with Durham.

What's your take?

doublem23
07-02-2002, 03:49 PM
If we're gonna make a serious run at this thing we're going to need a lead-off hitter/center fielder... Lofton sucks. Juan Pierre, maybe?

But according to that logic, we wouldn't have played Clayton since April 2001.

Maybe another catcher? But then all the FOVs will complain what a great talent is getting wasted in Charlotte.

And pitching. Can never have too much pitching.

Jerry_Manuel
07-02-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
If we're gonna make a serious run at this thing we're going to need a lead-off hitter/center fielder... Lofton sucks. Juan Pierre, maybe?

Maybe another catcher? But then all the FOVs will complain what a great talent is getting wasted in Charlotte.

I think pitching is going to be all they target. I'm sure their banking on Lofton getting hot again.

kermittheefrog
07-02-2002, 03:57 PM
I want Roy Halladay or Jeff Weaver. I'd say give up anyone not named Joe Borchard to get one of those guys.

Randar68
07-02-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
According to the article in the Trib, if the team is in the hunt he'll make a deal. Granted, we know it won't be a blockbuster deal, but it will be something. With that said, I just wanted to see who the posters at WSI would want gone and who they don't want to see moved.

Let's try and be realistic folks, we know nobody is taking Royce, so drop him from you list.

I do not want to see Crede, Borchard, Malone, Rauch, or Ginter moved.

As for players I'd like to see vanish, I'll go with Durham.

What's your take?

Frankly, with what's available, plus what KW would give up, as opposed to what we have....

We should be able to win this division without making any trades. With that said and with the strike looming....

Players worth getting:
Mike Hampton

that's about it IMO. Stand pat and let the 20 million in worthless garbage walk away over the next year.

Jerry_Manuel
07-02-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I want Roy Halladay or Jeff Weaver. I'd say give up anyone not named Joe Borchard to get one of those guys.

I posted this from the South Town in May.

From the Sox, Detroit wants top outfield prospect Joe Borchard, third base prospect Joe Crede and a top pitching prospect, which could be either Jon Rauch or Corwin Malone.

Jerry_Manuel
07-02-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Players worth getting:
Mike Hampton

that's about it IMO. Stand pat and let the 20 million in worthless garbage walk away over the next year.

What would it take to get Hampton? I know the Rockies want to move his big contract, so I'm guessing it isn't an arm and a leg.

Jjav829
07-02-2002, 04:08 PM

I liked Pierre coming into this year but he hasn't been impressive. He has a .317 OBP. :o:

Eric Owens maybe? :smile:

hold2dibber
07-02-2002, 04:23 PM
Pitching, pitching, pitching.

Clayton and Carlos are starting to resemble offensive contributors and I think both Lofton and Frank will improve in the second half. I think the offense will be pretty good.

But our pitching staff is one solid starter short. Garland is a 3, Ritchie is a 4 (hopefully) and someone between Wright, Glover and Biddle should be able to serve as a decent 5. We need a number two -- I like both of Kermit's guys, Halladay and Weaver. I wouldn't trade Borchard to do it, but probably just about anybody else within reason (e.g, Crede, Rauch, Malone, Wright, Liefer, Lee, Durham, Valentin, Glover). If the Mets decide they're out of it, I'd love to see the Sox go after Leiter. One rung down from these guys would be someone like Jeff Suppan, Paul Byrd, or Robert Person -- obviously I wouldn't part with Crede or Malone for one of those guys, but I would certainly deal a a couple of "B" prospects and maybe Liefer for one of them. Generally speaking, other than the obvious (i.e., Buehrle, Maggs, PK, Garland), some guys that would have trade value but I'd like to keep are Foulke, Graffanino, Biddle, Ginter and Marte.

I wouldn't mind seeing Durham used as trade bait -- I hear the Dodgers are interested in upgrading at 2B. Maybe a Omar Daal/Mark Gruzelanik (sp?) for Durham/Glover/Rowand kind of thing? I'm probably dreaming on that one.

The only other thought I'll throw out there is this one -- a few years ago the Sox made an ill-fated and poorly orchestrated run at A-Rod. At the end of this year, I wonder if they'd be willing to try again with I-Rod. The Rangers appear unlikely to re-sign him, and he may be available now. The Sox have a glaring need for a catcher and, after this year, for a second baseman -- many have suggested that Pudge will or may switch to second to avoid injury and prolong his career. Would the Rangers be interested in some prospects now so they get something for the impending loss of Pudge? Maybe Rauch and Wright? I'm not sure what I think of this idea -- at the very least, you'd have to have some assurance or belief that he would be willing to re-sign here after the season ended. But he would look awfully good in a White Sox uniform.

hold2dibber
07-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

What would it take to get Hampton? I know the Rockies want to move his big contract, so I'm guessing it isn't an arm and a leg.

I'm guessing all it would take would be someone willing to pay him. Of course, the Sox would be interested only if the Rockies continue to pay him. So I don't see that happening. But I do think Hampton will go on to do good things once he leaves Colorado. But he'll be pitching for the Cardinals, Dodgers or Yankees when he does it.

34 Inch Stick
07-02-2002, 04:32 PM
The Rockies have always expressed a strong interest in Rowand. I cannot imagine they would trade straight up. However, as I have said, if a labor agreement hasn't been reached this will be the biggest buyers market in the history of baseball.

LongDistanceFan
07-02-2002, 07:45 PM
good post............. i will protect and be very stingy with our pitching and other prospects. however, lee and durham can be traded as well as clayton, but realistically we are stuck with royce.

hampton is a good pickup, but i am wary of his record in postseason and that is the only reason i would be hesitant on getting him.

we need a #5 pitcher or a cat.

Chisoxfn
07-02-2002, 09:18 PM
If I'm KW I see one thing this club needs and thats pitching and more pitching. As far as our bullpen, I'm not worried at all ,but our rotation blows. If it were up to me, I'd look to add two starting pitchers which would move Glover into the bullpen, where he should be, and would get Ritchie or Wright there too(Preferably Wright cause Ritchie is just terrible).

The names I like are Roy Halladay(I don't think the Jays would be too willing to give him up, unless we help them out by taking on some payroll. Plus, we'd have to easily part with Crede, Borchard and a pitching prospect(Too much). Personally I'd like to add Al Leiter for a package similar to Jeff Liefer, Porzio, Lofton, and Kyle Kane. This is far from the greatest package of name recognition, but the Mets would get some guys with potential in Liefer and Kane as well as Lofton who could help their lineup out. The only reason we could get this done is if the Mets are looking to slash payroll. After seeing what the Tribe got for Colon, I'd say this is definately a buyers market and if we are going to buy, buy early because the longer you wait the great the chance that something may be done about the labor issue and if it is solved it will no longer be a buyers market.

Then, along with a vet pitcher like Leiter, I'd look to move Ray and Matt Ginter to a team that could use middle-infield help for a younger pitcher and a team like the Padres who have Brian Lawrence could fit the bill.

Then I'd move Jose Valentin to the Pirates for catching prospect J.R. House. The Pirates are still in the hunt for the division and could definately use some help offensively. I'd be more then willing to include Todd Ritchie back to them if we were able to get another top prospect or highly regarded one.

Daver
07-02-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Then I'd move Jose Valentin to the Pirates for catching prospect J.R. House. The Pirates are still in the hunt for the division and could definately use some help offensively. I'd be more then willing to include Todd Ritchie back to them if we were able to get another top prospect or highly regarded one.

If you think the Pirates are going to part with the top prospect in thier system for Jose Valentin,and throw in a another good prospect for the addition of Ritchie you are out of your mind.
Valentin does not have an overwhelming trade value,The deal you are trying to make would have to include Crede or it is a pipe dream.

WinningUgly!
07-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Hampton might not be a bad pick up, assuming the Rockies eat a decent amount of the contract. A few other guys that we might be able to pick up fairly cheap...Shane Reynolds, Roberto Hernandez & maybe Mike Lieberthal.

doublem23
07-02-2002, 09:40 PM
We'd probably be able to pick up Reynolds for real cheap since he's out for the year. :smile:

WinningUgly!
07-02-2002, 09:44 PM
We'd probably be able to pick up Reynolds for real cheap since he's out for the year. :smile:

Doh! Missed that one. Somebody better tell Kenny Williams! :D:

What happened to Reynolds, anyway?

doublem23
07-02-2002, 09:59 PM
He had back surgery (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/ap/20020613/ap-astros-reynoldssurgery.html).

OEO Magglio
07-02-2002, 11:27 PM
hold2dibber, I agree with you I would love to see us get Leiter, but the mets said they are willing to give up pitching, but they said the only two guys they wont give up are leiter and astacio, with that in mind, I would like to see us get Weaver, or Roy Halladay, the most, but if we can't get either of them I would like to see us get Paul Byrd if all possible.