PDA

View Full Version : Teahen for Silva ?

NLaloosh
02-03-2011, 05:31 PM
This is just a hypothetical question. Now that the Sox have added Milledge they really don't need Teahen.

They are better off keeping De Aza and Milledge on the team for good speed off the bench and two outfielders that can play all 3 spots adequately - not to mention a RH and LH bat off the bench.

In the infield, where Teahen's defense is unacceptable anyway, he isn't needed because Vizquel, Alexei, Gordon and Morel can handle most positions and in case of injury they have Lillibridge.

Teahen won't DH because he's left handed like Dunn. Therefore, he is completely superfluous on this team.

The Sox will be unlikely to move him without taking on salary that another team wants to move. And, what do the Sox need? Pitching. Specifically, a RH 5th starter that could move to the pen later.

Teahen is owed $ 5 mil each of the next two years. The cubs have very little depth and could probably use Teahen and would probably like to free up a rotation spot for a young pitcher.

Carlos Silva is owed $ 6 mil. next year by the cubs with Seattle paying the rest and then there is a $ 2 mil. buyout for 2012.

Who would be in favor of a Teahen for Silva swap? I know Silva has his baggage but it would probably be better for the Sox to have him. Would the cubs do this deal ?What do you think?

pythons007
02-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Hold on hold on its coming.....:puking::puking::puking:

DumpJerry
02-03-2011, 06:07 PM
You left out a poll option:

"Are you ****ing nuts?"

The AL owns Carlos Silva. His slide last year started with interleague play, hardly a coincidence.

kittle42
02-03-2011, 06:14 PM
This is horrible, this idea.

DirtySox
02-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Nah.

SOXSINCE'70
02-03-2011, 06:32 PM
:hawk

"I'm sorry,Stoney,but Carlos Silva sucks lemons.Can't do it, no sir."

- What most Sox fans would like to hear Ken Harrelson say
(but they know they'll never hear these words from the Hawk).

Moses_Scurry
02-03-2011, 07:22 PM
If the cubs take on all of Teahen's salary and send enough cash to cover Silva's remaining salary ... Sure why not!?

KRS1
02-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Jebus, why do people think Teahan sucks that bad? He's not a bad ballplayer, he's just not the starting 3b he was acquired to be, and every windsock around somehow thinks that is a statement about his value to a ballclub. He's a pretty good LH bat off the bench and $5M isn't a whole heck of a lot for a bench player these days. You can do much worse in a replacement player for the corner of the diamond.

Daver
02-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Jebus, why do people think Teahan sucks that bad?

Because he plays exactly 0 defensive positions adequately enough to be on an MLB roster.

spawn
02-03-2011, 07:57 PM
This thread was started by someone that believes the Sox wasted money signing Adam Dunn so...

DirtySox
02-03-2011, 08:04 PM
This thread was started by someone that believes the Sox wasted money signing Adam Dunn so...

Dude. His batting average is like .250.

spawn
02-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Dude. His batting average is like .250.
And he strikes out, like, 100 times a season. He suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

slavko
02-03-2011, 08:39 PM
You left out a poll option:

"Are you ****ing nuts?"

The AL owns Carlos Silva. His slide last year started with interleague play, hardly a coincidence.

Coincidence. You asked about irregular heartbeats in an earlier thread and Silva was on the DL with one in 2010. He had catheterization to fix his. How's yours?

Now, how does Milledge replace Teahen? Teahen is not that bad, IMO. Get an OF glove and stay away from the IF. It might work out.

mzh
02-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Because he plays exactly 0 defensive positions adequately enough to be on an MLB roster.
Way to read the whole post :rolleyes:

I agree. Teahen is not a starting 3rd baseman. but he is an adequate bench player and should be fine if use as one.

Daver
02-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Way to read the whole post :rolleyes:

I agree. Teahen is not a starting 3rd baseman. but he is an adequate bench player and should be fine if use as one.

An adequate bench player making 5 mil a year should be able to play a position, Teahen plays 0 positions adequately. What is the term used for a utility fielder that can't play the field?
Never mind, I got it, he's a DH, the fact is he can't do that either.

What part of the post did I miss, exactly?

DumpJerry
02-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Coincidence. You asked about irregular heartbeats in an earlier thread and Silva was on the DL with one in 2010. He had catheterization to fix his. How's yours?
I asked about irregular heartbeats? I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Did Silva have an irregular heartbeat during those years when the AL owned him before he joined the Cubs?

Silva sucks in the AL and the White Sox play in the AL. This has nothing to do with irregular heartbeats.

Frater Perdurabo
02-03-2011, 09:35 PM
This proposal intrigues me only because Silva can be bought out in 2012. This gets the Sox out of Teahen's contract and thus frees up money to give Buehrle and/or Jackson new contracts.

Chez
02-03-2011, 09:40 PM
This proposed trade will never happen so I'm not sure why people are so worked up over it. I guess just another excuse to bash Teahen.

kittle42
02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
This proposed trade will never happen so I'm not sure why people are so worked up over it. I guess just another excuse to bash Teahen.

Yeah - someone explain why in the world the Cubs would actually want this trade.

Nellie_Fox
02-04-2011, 12:24 AM
And he strikes out, like, 100 times a season. He suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.I wish he only struck out 100 times a season. His career 162-game strike out average is 183.

spawn
02-04-2011, 06:49 AM
Yeah - someone explain why in the world the Cubs would actually want this trade.

Didn't you hear? Every season, teams line up in the hopes of trading for one of our worthless players.

asindc
02-04-2011, 07:58 AM

To get rid of Silva for a better player. Nope, I'll pass.

russ99
02-04-2011, 09:04 AM

Define adequately.

Look at his numbers. Both in range factor and runs saved, he's right around league average at all the positions he's played, except 3B where his RS is below average.

Nobody will ever mistake him for a gold glover, and he probably shouldn't play 3B even part time (which isn't an issue with Omar on the roster) but he's still a useful bench piece, especially if he can contribute at the plate at his career average numbers.

slavko
02-04-2011, 10:17 AM
I asked about irregular heartbeats? I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Did Silva have an irregular heartbeat during those years when the AL owned him before he joined the Cubs?

Silva sucks in the AL and the White Sox play in the AL. This has nothing to do with irregular heartbeats.

Christmas morning 2010 someone calling themself "Dump Jerry" posted in a thread "Odor Coming From An Electrical Outlet" the folowing:

"Still on the subject of getting advice from WSI, at least twice a day, I can feel my heart race at something like 5 beats per second and it is difficult for me to breathe. Is this because I'm excited about the upcoming White Sox season or am I having a serious heart condition? I would call a doctor, but today is a holiday, so they are probably not working."

Is there another Dump Jerry?

kittle42
02-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Define adequately.

Look at his numbers. Both in range factor and runs saved, he's right around league average at all the positions he's played, except 3B where his RS is below average.

I'll beat everyone else to it: defensive metrics are poopy.

I actually agree with this one, despite generally being in the stathead category. Defense is truly one of those "I have to see it" things to be measured. I've seen Teahen at 3B and in RF. Yuck.

doublem23
02-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I'll beat everyone else to it: defensive metrics are poopy.

I actually agree with this one, despite generally being in the stathead category. Defense is truly one of those "I have to see it" things to be measured. I've seen Teahen at 3B and in RF. Yuck.

Bingo. Not to mention, a guy who hits like Teahen had better bring more to the table than "adequate" defense. I can live with Carlos Quentin's glove because he produces at the plate. Teahen's a career .268/.330/.415 hitter. He'd better be more than just OK in the field.

russ99
02-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Bingo. Not to mention, a guy who hits like Teahen had better bring more to the table than "adequate" defense. I can live with Carlos Quentin's glove because he produces at the plate. Teahen's a career .268/.330/.415 hitter. He'd better be more than just OK in the field.

My point precisely. Teahen is an average player.

Since when do guys have to hit .300/.380/.550 to be considered useful, especially at a bench role

kittle42
02-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Since when do guys have to hit .300/.380/.550 to be considered useful, especially at a bench role

I consider anyone better than Mark Kotsay to be useful. Thus, Teahen is useful!

SoxandtheCityTee
02-04-2011, 12:03 PM

I suspect that teal was intended?

doublem23
02-04-2011, 12:06 PM

No, he's not adequate, because his defense is atrocious. He can't hit and he can't field. He just sucks. The notoriously tight-fisted Royals PAID US to make him go away. Think about that.

DumpJerry
02-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Christmas morning 2010 someone calling themself "Dump Jerry" posted in a thread "Odor Coming From An Electrical Outlet" the folowing:

"Still on the subject of getting advice from WSI, at least twice a day, I can feel my heart race at something like 5 beats per second and it is difficult for me to breathe. Is this because I'm excited about the upcoming White Sox season or am I having a serious heart condition? I would call a doctor, but today is a holiday, so they are probably not working."

Oh, Wise One. I am humbled in the presence of Greatness.

Too bad you stayed home sick in the Third Grade on the day they taught the class about sarcasm.

Thank you for providing the link so I can see the context of my post, but, then, that would ruin your point, wouldn't it? I also thank you for having an encyclopedic memory of my postings. Should I file the stalking report today with the police or wait until you're at my front door?

slavko
02-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Oh, Wise One. I am humbled in the presence of Greatness.

Too bad you stayed home sick in the Third Grade on the day they taught the class about sarcasm.

Thank you for providing the link so I can see the context of my post, but, then, that would ruin your point, wouldn't it? I also thank you for having an encyclopedic memory of my postings. Should I file the stalking report today with the police or wait until you're at my front door?

You didn't. I regret that I took your post seriously. I'm sorry if I offended you by being concerned for your health. Irregular heartbeat is a real problem. Silva had to be removed from a game in the first inning and went DL until the problem was solved.

I'm relieved that you were being sarcastic and are not physically ill.

02-04-2011, 07:26 PM

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/da-bears-blog/broken_record.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
02-04-2011, 08:17 PM

Doesn't mean it's not true.

Daver
02-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Doesn't mean it's not true.

He chose to contribute what he was intellectually capable of contributing.

soltrain21
02-04-2011, 10:48 PM
You didn't. I regret that I took your post seriously. I'm sorry if I offended you by being concerned for your health. Irregular heartbeat is a real problem. Silva had to be removed from a game in the first inning and went DL until the problem was solved.

I'm relieved that you were being sarcastic and are not physically ill.

Yeah. Kind of an odd thing to be mean about.

DumpJerry
02-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Yeah. Kind of an odd thing to be mean about.
I wasn't being "mean" about anything. I was making fun of people who run to the Internet for advice on problems with common sense solutions. I could have just as easily posted in that thread "there are flames coming out the wall in my living room. Should I call the Fire Department or will the flames just go away by themselves?" Same line of thinking as the OP in that thread.

I'm just very confused why Slavco thought I was exploiting Silva's heart condition (which I had forgotten about until he posted about it) since I was talking about how Silva sucked in the AL which was something the occurred over several seasons and the suckage was not attributed to his heart condition which may or may not have been present when he was with Seattle (most likely it wasn't).

TheVulture
02-08-2011, 02:33 PM
That would never play and therefore would never repeat, thus rendering the metaphor useless.