PDA

View Full Version : 05 WS MVP to retire?

JermaineDye05
02-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/jermaine-dye-talking-retirement-020211)

It's a shame that he can't find work. He had a pretty respectable 2009.

Will always remember this (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w_id=456454&w=2005/open/topplays/archive10/05ws_gm4_chahou_dye_rbi_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2005/10/26/chamlb-houmlb-1&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp350&v=2).

DumpJerry
02-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Well, the good news in the link is that Marcus Thames will only terrorize us three times next season.

JD rolled the dice last year when he rejected the Cubs and Nats and lost. His second half production in '09 is haunting him big time.

soltrain21
02-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/jermaine-dye-talking-retirement-020211)

Will always remember this (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w_id=456454&w=2005/open/topplays/archive10/05ws_gm4_chahou_dye_rbi_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2005/10/26/chamlb-houmlb-1&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp350&v=2).

He found work, but turned it down like an idiot. And his 2009 was hardly respectable. The back half was downright embarrassing. He was awful and all he did was complain.

TheOldRoman
02-03-2011, 10:18 AM

Will always remember this (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w_id=456454&w=2005/open/topplays/archive10/05ws_gm4_chahou_dye_rbi_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2005/10/26/chamlb-houmlb-1&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp350&v=2).He hit very well in the first half, but his second half was terrible. That coming when he was 35 years old, when he was going into free agency was not a good thing for him. A 29 year old would probably get a foolish contract thrown at him hoping that he would rebound, but in the post steroids era teams don't expect players to stay in their primes until the age of 40.

Keep in mind that Dye has shown to be emotional and pouty at times. In the first half of 2007 he was injured and whining that the Sox hadn't extended him yet. His performance struggled greatly. Once he got the extention he started playing well. In 2009 he had the great first half, then after a few weeks of struggling he started whining that the Sox weren't going to bring him back, and his struggles worsened. Both instances could be coincidences. However, with him having shown a history of struggling when there was contract uncertainty on the horizon, I don't know if I would offer him a 1 year contract, either.

johnnyg83
02-03-2011, 10:21 AM
I don't know why the Royals don't sign him.

They just saved 12 million from the books when Meche retired and they've lost Guillen, DeJesus, Callaspo from the offense and replaced them with Melky (.241) Cabrera and Jeff Francouer. He's a good, stable clubhouse guy and could help with the youngsters coming up. There's no real vet on the team except for Jason Kendall.

Gavin
02-03-2011, 10:25 AM
.179/.293/.297 in the second half of '09. This after he hit .302/.375/.567 in the 81 games before the ASB.

Just don't get it.

DumpJerry
02-03-2011, 10:38 AM
I don't know why the Royals don't sign him.

They just saved 12 million from the books when Meche retired and they've lost Guillen, DeJesus, Callaspo from the offense and replaced them with Melky (.241) Cabrera and Jeff Francouer. He's a good, stable clubhouse guy and could help with the youngsters coming up. There's no real vet on the team except for Jason Kendall.
Has he backed down from his "I won't be a DH" stance? Adam Dunn did and look what happened.

downstairs
02-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Dude... just play in the minors. If you kick butt there, someone will pick you up to replace a mistake they made this offseason. If you don't, then you know its time to call it quits.

Foulke You
02-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Has he backed down from his "I won't be a DH" stance? Adam Dunn did and look what happened.
I wonder that myself. The article made no mention of it but JD was pretty clear that he didn't want to DH. IF he is willing to DH then I'm surprised he hasn't gotten any offers. In addition to johnnyg83's suggestion of the Royals, the Mariners were absolutely starved for offense last year and struggled with clubhouse issues. Dye could have been a fit there as well. I think JD sitting out for 2010 has made GMs a bit weary of giving him a guaranteed MLB contract.

DumpJerry
02-03-2011, 05:22 PM
I wonder that myself. The article made no mention of it but JD was pretty clear that he didn't want to DH. IF he is willing to DH then I'm surprised he hasn't gotten any offers. In addition to johnnyg83's suggestion of the Royals, the Mariners were absolutely starved for offense last year and struggled with clubhouse issues. Dye could have been a fit there as well. I think JD sitting out for 2010 has made GMs a bit weary of giving him a guaranteed MLB contract.
Why are some guys so resistant to being a DH. Don't they realize even as a DH, they get big bucks to play a kid's game? What 9-5 year-round job would be more attractive?

SOXSINCE'70
02-03-2011, 06:45 PM
My favorite Jermaine Dye memories:

1. His game tying home run (with the Sox down 3-2 in the 9th) against the Tribe in the second game of the 2005 season.
(Uribe's Sac Fly won the game 4-3).

2. His game winning homer off Brendan Donnelly in the bottom of the 9th to beat the Halos on May 31st,2005.

jamokes
02-03-2011, 08:25 PM
JD will always be special to us Sox fans but it's really sad when guys like this are the very last one to realize that his ship has sailed.

He passed up more money than most of us would make in our lifetime. Scouts and front office people realize that he's done otherwise someone would have picked him up.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-03-2011, 08:32 PM
My two favorite JD memories were when this:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/JDGWRBI.jpg

led to this

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/JDMVP.jpg

twentywontowin
02-04-2011, 11:04 AM
My favorite Dye moment actually came in 2010.

Frank Thomas Day. The reception he got when he came onto the field was nuts, and you could tell he genuinely realized what he missed out on by sitting a year.

thomas35forever
02-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Good luck, JD in whatever you decide to do.

GlassSox
02-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Good luck, JD in whatever you decide to do.

:thumbsup:

NLaloosh
02-05-2011, 03:54 PM
By all accounts JD was a good guy and a great teammate. But, apparently, not very bright.

The guy had plenty of offers last year but instead of just taking the best one for him (like everyone else does) he snubbed his nose at the offers and made demands that teams wouldn't submit to. It's a privaledge to play MLB - not a right.

The guy could have easily played MLB for 3 more years and added $ 10 mil. to his bank account. But, he high-hatted MLB and he's made his own bed. He's getting what he "deserves" for being stupid and stubborn.

It's too bad because he was a heckuva ballplayer and an asset to the game when he played.

He thought he could dictate to MLB and he found out he was wrong. So, quit crying Jermaine! You did it to yourself.

The Dude
02-06-2011, 10:24 AM
He found work, but turned it down like an idiot. And his 2009 was hardly respectable. The back half was downright embarrassing. He was awful and all he did was complain.

You are correct, SIR!:gulp:

cards press box
02-06-2011, 11:12 AM
My favorite Jermaine Dye memories:

1. His game tying home run (with the Sox down 3-2 in the 9th) against the Tribe in the second game of the 2005 season.
(Uribe's Sac Fly won the game 4-3).

2. His game winning homer off Brendan Donnelly in the bottom of the 9th to beat the Halos on May 31st,2005.

My favorite was Friday, September 23, 2005. Going into the game, the Indians were as close to the Sox as they had been all season -- just 1.5 games back.

The night before, the Sox lost to the Twins (and current Sox reliever Jesse Crain) 4-1 in 11 innings. Brandon McCarthy and Johan Santana had battled to a 1-1 tie trough 9 innings. Santana gave up a solo homer to Joe Crede and McCarthy gave up a solo homer to Jacque Jones and that was it. The Sox had chances to win in extra innings bit did not. When the Twins got to Bobby Jenks in the 11th and won the game, it trimmed the Sox lead to 1.5 games. That brings us to the September 23 game.

In the first inning, Jermaine Dye hit a line drive missile off Kyle Loshe that went into the Sox bullpen in left for a three-run homer. The homer seemed to change everyone's mindset. Jose Contreras pitched a complete game and the Sox won 3-1. The Sox won the next two games against the Twins and after the Indians loss that Sunday (on a lost flyball in the sun), the Sox were 2.5 up and never looked back.

Dye's three-run homer off Loshe is the hit that I won't forget.

JB98
02-06-2011, 01:24 PM
My favorite Dye moment actually came in 2010.

Frank Thomas Day. The reception he got when he came onto the field was nuts, and you could tell he genuinely realized what he missed out on by sitting a year.

Yeah, that moment stands out for me, too. Dye was welcomed almost as warmly as Frank was.

JD could have played last year if he really wanted to. I personally don't understand why he didn't sign with the Cubs or the Nats, but it's his life, his career.

SOXSINCE'70
02-07-2011, 04:17 PM
In the first inning, Jermaine Dye hit a line drive missile off Kyle Loshe that went into the Sox bullpen in left for a three-run homer. The homer seemed to change everyone's mindset. Jose Contreras pitched a complete game and the Sox won 3-1. The Sox won the next two games against the Twins and after the Indians loss that Sunday (on a lost flyball in the sun), the Sox were 2.5 up and never looked back.

Dye's three-run homer off Loshe is the hit that I won't forget.

That was a "wall scraper" that just cleared the left field fence.In 2006, JD would hit 2 bombs (in a losing effort) off Josh Beckett that bounced off the center field batter's eye.A few weeks later, he'd hit a bomb off Joe Nathan to left field that hit off the "fundamentals" sign.