PDA

View Full Version : Sox sign TCM to four year, $32.5m extension

SephClone89
01-31-2011, 05:39 PM
$10M option for a fifth year.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/01/white-sox-agree-to-extension-with-alexei-ramirez.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

DirtySox
01-31-2011, 05:42 PM
So this buys out 2 arbitration years and extends to 2 or 3 after depending on the option. I like.

Danks next please.

soltrain21
01-31-2011, 05:42 PM
Good deal. Now just start hitting at the beginning of the year and improving your D!

JermaineDye05
01-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Love it. Now let's lock up Danks, please.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
01-31-2011, 05:55 PM
:bandance::bliss:

Looking forward to keeping him around! Great that we don't have to worry about SS for another few years.

Welcome back Alexei, the true Gold Glove winner at SS in our hearts.

hoosiersoxfan
01-31-2011, 06:38 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/31/report-white-sox-agree-to-four-year-32-5-million-extension-with-alexei-ramirez/

beasly213
01-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Awesome. It's hard to find a good SS and the sox have one.

Rockabilly
01-31-2011, 06:40 PM
great news!!!

TaylorStSox
01-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Good deal. Now just start hitting at the beginning of the year and improving your D!

Improve your D? Seriously? Anyway, that signing makes this an A+ off season, given what was available.

soltrain21
01-31-2011, 06:50 PM
Improve your D? Seriously? Anyway, that signing makes this an A+ off season, given what was available.

Improving. Like, you know, keep getting better and taking the strides he has been taking. Since in 2009 he was making lazy throws. And last year he got better. But you are right!

Don't get better, Alexei! Stay EXACTLY the same!

soxnut1018
01-31-2011, 06:53 PM
:bliss::bandance::bliss::bandance:

This has been a great offseason!

guillensdisciple
01-31-2011, 06:54 PM

Definitely, if this team adds one more pitcher or reliever we might be a serious contender. Right now I would say we are on the cusp with an outside chance at glory.

SoxNation05
01-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Most likely the best SS inthe AL.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
Definitely, if this team adds one more pitcher or reliever we might be a serious contender. Right now I would say we are on the cusp with an outside chance at glory.

Let's see if we can lure Cliff Politte out of retirement!

TaylorStSox
Improving. Like, you know, keep getting better and taking the strides he has been taking. Since in 2009 he was making lazy throws. And last year he got better. But you are right!

Don't get better, Alexei! Stay EXACTLY the same!

I, too, hope he gets better. That's a lot to ask from the best SS in the AL though. I hope he grows as a hitter and learns to maximize his speed better. With that said, he's the most undervalued (by the fans) player on this team. IMO, this contract will turn out to be a nice bargain. And, it locks up a premier defender, good hitter and solid baserunner at the most important position on the field through his prime years. I approve!

KRS1
01-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Sweet. :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
01-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Most likely the best SS inthe AL.
What, you don't like the fielding of Derek Jeter?

Great news! I like TCM/Bacon

SOXSINCE'70
01-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Let's see if we can lure Cliff Politte out of retirement!

Where's the Neal Cotts love???? :roflmao:

KMcMahon817
01-31-2011, 07:09 PM
GOOD! GREAT! GRAND! I love me some Alexei. :D:

ChiSoxGirl
01-31-2011, 07:29 PM
I love baseball news the night before a blizzard, especially good baseball news that involves the Sox! :bliss:

johnnyg83
01-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Great. Alexei has a chance to be an all-time great WhiteSox SS on both sides.

Bucky F. Dent
01-31-2011, 08:17 PM

True That! Now lock up Danks!

Nellie_Fox
01-31-2011, 08:34 PM

Don't get better, Alexei! Stay EXACTLY the same!Go read your own post. You said ...start hitting at the beginning of the year and improving your D! What that sentence structure says is that he needs to START improving his D. Start hitting...and improving your D. Don't get indignant when your sentence structure says something you didn't intend for it to say.

soltrain21
01-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Go read your own post. You said What that sentence structure says is that he needs to START improving his D. Start hitting...and improving your D. Don't get indignant when your sentence structure says something you didn't intend for it to say.

I left out the word "keep." It happens sometimes. I got "indignant" because I thought the word "keep" was in the post from the get go and that the sentence was clear. So I thought he was questioning why I would want to see someone keep improving their defense.

My utmost apologies. It will never happen again.

Nellie_Fox
01-31-2011, 08:47 PM
I left out the word "keep." It happens sometimes. I got "indignant" because I thought the word "keep" was in the post from the get go and that the sentence was clear. So I thought he was questioning why I would want to see someone keep improving their defense.

My utmost apologies. It will never happen again.You're indignant again. :tongue:

Red Barchetta
01-31-2011, 08:52 PM
I like it! I also think the SOX signing Omar Vizquel last year and re-signing him this year is a brilliant move in mentoring Alexi. Plus, Vizquel was huge after Teahen went down last season.

Hitmen77
01-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Great news!:gulp:

How much will he be making for 2011, then? $34M over 4 years: does that mean he'll be making something like $8M in 2011 instead of the $2.75M he was scheduled to get?

I thought the Sox were totally out of money? (not that I'm complaining:cool:)

doublem23
01-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Did not expect to see this nugget of AMAZINGNESS

thomas35forever
01-31-2011, 10:28 PM
http://blogs.southtownstar.com/whitesox/alexei_ramirez_080_1001277c.jpg

DonnieDarko
01-31-2011, 10:36 PM
http://blogs.southtownstar.com/whitesox/alexei_ramirez_080_1001277c.jpg

Best memory I have of Alexei. If anything, I'll remember him for that one night. :)

Also great to see that he was signed! YES!

Soxfest
02-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Good deal for both sides!

DirtySox
02-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Great news!:gulp:

How much will he be making for 2011, then? $34M over 4 years: does that mean he'll be making something like $8M in 2011 instead of the $2.75M he was scheduled to get?

I thought the Sox were totally out of money? (not that I'm complaining:cool:)

This year's salary stays the same. The extension buys out his 2 arbitration years which begin next season, as well as 2 more years with an option for 2016.

Ranger
02-01-2011, 01:14 AM

I'm not sure they're that far from it. The way I see it, there are a few good, competitive teams in baseball, and a couple that are really good. All of them are flawed however, which means if a team is capable of getting to the playoffs they're capable of going the whole way. The Sox are capable of the postseason.

I'm not sure they need another pitcher -- other than someone they already have -- to make them a contender.

voodoochile
02-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Excellent new... Great job getting it done, KW... Nice to see the Sox will be set at 3/4 IF positions for the foreseeable future. Hopefully Morel can hit MLB pitching well enough to bat 9th at least and the Sox can forget about the IF until 2014...

Zisk77
02-01-2011, 04:50 AM
Did not expect to see this nugget of AMAZINGNESS

Hey, what happened to that awesome Aaron Rodgers signature? I was growing fond of it ... Not!:redneck

TomBradley72
02-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Best memory I have of Alexei. If anything, I'll remember him for that one night. :)

Also great to see that he was signed! YES!

That was amazing. Earlier that year- when he was in CF- he made one of the greatest throws I've ever seen on a gapper to CF- he chased it down near the warning track- whirled and threw a bullett to 2nd to catch the hitter going for a double.

The whole ballpark was silent for a moment- no one could believe what they saw- batter trudging back to the dugout kept looking back at Alexei in disbelief.

Lip Man 1
02-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Ranger:

I think the statement about the pitching staff is simply a reflection of the uncertainly still out there vis a vis Peavy and Sale. If Sale has to start in my opinion, the bullpen still lacks a good arm for it or a vet.

If however as Kenny appeared to endorse at Sox Fest, if Peavy is back before say May 15th, then with Sale in the pen both the starting staff and the pen appear set.

I guess we'll just have to see how it all shakes out in spring training and more importantly when it all sorts itself out.

Lip

cws05champ
02-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Ranger:

I think the statement about the pitching staff is simply a reflection of the uncertainly still out there vis a vis Peavy and Sale. If Sale has to start in my opinion, the bullpen still lacks a good arm for it or a vet.

If however as Kenny appeared to endorse at Sox Fest, if Peavy is back before say May 15th, then with Sale in the pen both the starting staff and the pen appear set.

I guess we'll just have to see how it all shakes out in spring training and more importantly when it all sorts itself out.

Lip
No doubt...that will be the interesting thing to see. If any BP arm steps up (Bruney?) to take the last bull pen spot so Sale can start either in the majors (if Peavy is not ready) or minors to get him innings as a starter. I still think Sale is in the majors unless he has a really bad spring or injury.

I'm really excited to see Sale start so we can get a better look at his starting stuff. He was supposed to have one of the best change ups in the draft last year(with great control), but we never saw it out of the pen.

I would rather Peavy play it safe and come back in May/June and be ready to go rather than push it and hurt himself for the year.

DirtySox
02-01-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm really excited to see Sale start so we can get a better look at his starting stuff. He was supposed to have one of the best change ups in the draft last year(with great control), but we never saw it out of the pen.

I checked a few weeks ago, and he threw his change about 13 times last year. In an interview he said it wasn't really by design, and it was just that AJ pretty much only called for fastballs and sliders last season. His slider was supposed to be rather average, but it looked fantastic. It was absolutely deadly against lefties. If his change is as advertised and the slider remains consistent he really does have top of the rotation potential. I'really wish the Sox had the luxury of him starting this year in AAA so he can jump right in the rotation next year.

seventyseven
02-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Have to admit my initial reaction was that we overpaid. Glad he's ours, but I hope he earns the $$$.

khan
02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I approve of this extension.

In general, I approve of giving your good players improved and extended contract terms, while limiting stupid contracts to bad players. This extension fits the former group.

Now, let's see Danks, the best pitcher [and perhaps the best player] in the roster get his rightful extension.

Daver
02-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Have to admit my initial reaction was that we overpaid. Glad he's ours, but I hope he earns the $$$.

Compared to what?

seventyseven
02-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Compared to what?

I dunno -- compared to someone who will turn 30 this season and has a career OBP of .321.

DirtySox
02-01-2011, 12:59 PM
I dunno -- compared to someone who will turn 30 this season and has a career OBP of .321.

Recent analysis dictates that the contract is about market value for Alexei's worth if he continues at his current production. One needs to consider positional value as well. It's damn hard to find a SS or similarly a CF who has great value on both sides of the ball. Alexei is more than adequate at both. If he learns how to hit in early months, or takes a step forward offensively overall, their will be some surplus value in this contract. Cost certainty is obviously a huge factor in the extension, but there really isn't much to dislike.

JermaineDye05
02-01-2011, 01:00 PM

You also have to take into account his defense. He's certainly worth that money. Look what Derek Jeter was paid.

Daver
02-01-2011, 01:04 PM

Baseball is not an offensive sport.

gobears1987
02-01-2011, 01:25 PM
OBP is overrated. Alexei's .283 average and gold glove defense is good enough for me. Besides, Alexei doesn't clog the bases and can hit for reasonable power.

DirtySox
02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
OBP is overrated. Alexei's .283 average and gold glove defense is good enough for me. Besides, Alexei doesn't clog the bases and can hit for reasonable power.

No, OBP overall isn't overrated. (Batting average is. At least around here.)

In the context of Alexei's value though, OBP is indeed quite secondary. Especially considering positional scarcity and everything else he contributes.

gobears1987
02-01-2011, 01:41 PM
No, OBP overall isn't overrated. (Batting average is. At least around here.)

In the context of Alexei's value though, OBP is indeed quite secondary. Especially considering positional scarcity and everything else he contributes.

OBP is overrated. Case in point, Nick Swisher. OBP is more indicative of bad pitching than anything else. That's why high OBP, lower average guys struggle in the postseason. OBP became overvalued thanks to Billy Beane. How many championships has it won him?

Now someone who never walks has problems with an inability to take a pitch (Viciedo), but having an OBP that isn't much higher than your batting average isn't a problem if you have a reasonable batting average.

DirtySox
02-01-2011, 01:49 PM
OBP is overrated. Case in point, Nick Swisher. OBP is more indicative of bad pitching than anything else. That's why high OBP, lower average guys struggle in the postseason. OBP became overvalued thanks to Billy Beane. How many championships has it won him?

Wat? You are all over the place here, and not even close to the mark. Do you have any evidence that isn't of the anecdotal variety that low average/high OPB players struggle in the postseason? Also, Billy Beane is your reasoning that OBP is overrated? Really? Hilarious.

Noneck
02-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Baseball is not an offensive sport.

Most of the british I think would disagree with you.

asindc
02-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Very good move here. Alexei has kept getting better and better since he first arrived. I don't think it's a stretch to say he will be the best SS in the AL next year.

Ranger
02-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Ranger:

Lip

That is if Sale has to start for an extended period of time. Honestly, I don't want the guy anywhere near the rotation, at least not yet. If he does not start, the pen should be just fine. It, like any other pen, is bound to uncertainty.

If they can get by the first month, then the team is good enough to win in the postseason. They're already good enough to win in the postseason, it's just a matter of getting there.

sox1970
02-01-2011, 03:10 PM
That is if Sale has to start for an extended period of time. Honestly, I don't want the guy anywhere near the rotation, at least not yet. If he does not start, the pen should be just fine. It, like any other pen, is bound to uncertainty.

If they can get by the first month, then the team is good enough to win in the postseason. They're already good enough to win in the postseason, it's just a matter of getting there.

Exactly. More specifically, he should close, just like Neftali Feliz did last year for the Rangers.

Keep Crain and Thornton in their setup roles, and let Sale close. If it doesn't work, you at least have options.

If Peavy comes back in May, then the Sox can get by with Harrell or Humber for 5-8 starts.

delben91
02-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Exactly. More specifically, he should close, just like Neftali Feliz did last year for the Rangers.

Keep Crain and Thornton in their setup roles, and let Sale close. If it doesn't work, you at least have options.

If Peavy comes back in May, then the Sox can get by with Harrell or Humber for 5-8 starts.

I still vote for Pena in the rotation with either Harrell or Humber in the 'pen if that's the scenario.

johnnyg83
02-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Pena
Ohman
Sale
Crain
Santos
Thornton

I think this bullpen could be pretty good. Taking Sale out though hurts it quite a bit.

soxfanreggie
02-03-2011, 10:28 AM

I love Alexei's progress defensively, and I think he will be more than serviceable for his role as a hitter. I can't wait to see him progress through this contract and am glad that we were able to lock him up for the future. I was wondering how much it would cost us, and this is a deal that could really pay off for us if he continues to develop and progress.

chisox77
02-04-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm just happy that the White Sox have a pretty good shortstop locked up for what will likely be the prime years of his MLB career.

fram40
02-12-2011, 11:41 AM
That was amazing. Earlier that year- when he was in CF- he made one of the greatest throws I've ever seen on a gapper to CF- he chased it down near the warning track- whirled and threw a bullett to 2nd to catch the hitter going for a double.

The whole ballpark was silent for a moment- no one could believe what they saw- batter trudging back to the dugout kept looking back at Alexei in disbelief.

That was one of the most amazing plays I have ever seen. The batter could not believe he was thrown out - he stood there in a daze, glancing back at TCM.

Alexei has become an elite shortstop defensively.