PDA

View Full Version : For those who care--possible Red Line doubleheader opportunity in August.

SephClone89
01-29-2011, 03:53 AM
I'm planning on taking a trip to NYC this summer with some friends, to take in a Yankees game, and I was shocked to discover today that for the week we plan on being there, both the Yanks and Mets are at home.

I was curious and decided to see if there was ever a day this season where the Sox and Cubs were both at home, and playing at different times.

On Sunday, August 21st the Sox host the Rangers at 1:05. Meanwhile on the North Side the Cubs are set to play the Cardinals. On the Cubs schedule, first pitch for this game is blatantly labelled "TBD". I think it would be fair to assume that this game will be played at 7PM for ESPN coverage.

Just wanted to point this out for those who might be interested. I've heard people talk about it before. I would probably do it someday; would be a fun experience. Only problem this year is that it's the day before the fall semester starts and I'll already have spent lots of money on stuff that summer.

g0g0
01-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Would love to do that! It would have to be the right teams though for me. Cubs/Cards is perfect of course, but maybe Sox/Twins or Sox/A's.

DumpJerry
01-29-2011, 09:26 AM
August 21st? The Cubs will have been mathematically eliminated by then, so there won't be much interest. ESPN will cover the Yanks/Red Sox game instead (I'm sure they are playing each other that day because it is a weekend).

twentywontowin
01-29-2011, 10:04 AM
If you're a drinker, it's a LONG day.

tebman
01-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Some friends and I did that in 1988. The lights were under construction at Wrigley Field at the time and weren't activated yet. The Cubs game was in the afternoon and the Sox game was that night.

But it rained that day. The Cubs game never got started and the Sox game was going to be delayed, so after hanging around in the Wrigley bleachers in the drizzle for a couple of hours we said the hell with it and went out to dinner. The Sox game did finally get started much later and we listened to it on the radio on the way back from the restaurant.

This was during the debate about the Sox' possible move to Florida. I was genuinely concerned that it was their last season in Chicago and fretted about missing the game, but it all turned out well in the end. :gulp:

soltrain21
01-29-2011, 12:20 PM
I did it a few years ago when the Sox played the Yankees at night and Cubs played the Mets during the day.

My girlfriend at the time got us in the front row right next to the Cubs dugout (she was working for the team at the time). So that was pretty cool. I was actually sitting right next to Fukedome's wife.

SephClone89
01-29-2011, 01:34 PM
The more I think about this, the less I can afford to do it myself and the more I think it would be a good Father's/Mother's/late anniversary present for my parents. Dad's a Sox fan and Mom's a Cubs fan. Since this is the day before the fall semester starts anyway, it would be really inconvenient for me to go. I figure if I just get them upper deck seats for both games and split the cost with my two siblings it would be affordable and I think they'd really enjoy it.

Don't think I'll have any trouble finding the Sox tickets, but the Cubs ones may prove to be a little expensive. Probably best to try for them right when Cubs single tix go on sale. Anyone know when this is? (Gene? :redneck)

I think I'll wait to get the Sox tickets till later, just in case the Cubs game isn't at 7pm. That way I'd be able to find a discount code, anyway.

daveeym
01-29-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure what the most recent agreement with the city is but I believe the Cubs cannot do night games on Saturday during the regular season.

SephClone89
01-29-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure what the most recent agreement with the city is but I believe the Cubs cannot do night games on Saturday during the regular season.

That's okay, because it's a Sunday.

DumpJerry
01-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Friday, August 19th is a Chicago Doubleheader. Cubs/Cards at 1:10, Sox/Rangers at 7:10. It's also Elvis Night at the Sox game.

SephClone89
01-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Friday, August 19th is a Chicago Doubleheader. Cubs/Cards at 1:10, Sox/Rangers at 7:10. It's also Elvis Night at the Sox game.

Nice! Didn't catch that. May opt for that one, instead, though the idea of subverting the day at Wrigley/night at the Cell tradition sounds cool.

EDIT: And Elvis night is a Premier date? Blech.

DumpJerry
01-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Nice! Didn't catch that. May opt for that one, instead, though the idea of subverting the day at Wrigley/night at the Cell tradition sounds cool.

EDIT: And Elvis night is a Premier date? Blech.
Elvis is a Premier game and will sell out real quick.

The Friday game may be the only chance this year. Looking at the MLB schedule for 8/21, the following match ups might be good ones for ESPN:
Brewers/Mets (on the outside chance the Mets are good)
Yankees/Twins
Sox/Rangers (which would allow a Chicago doubleheader to take place).

It should be noted that the MLB schedule has times posted for all games on 8/21 except the Cubs/Cards, but that could always change. My rep told me yesterday that the Monday-Friday game times are set in stone, but Saturday and Sunday times are still in flux.

SephClone89
01-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Elvis is a Premier game and will sell out real quick.

The Friday game may be the only chance this year. Looking at the MLB schedule for 8/21, the following match ups might be good ones for ESPN:
Brewers/Mets (on the outside chance the Mets are good)
Yankees/Twins
Sox/Rangers (which would allow a Chicago doubleheader to take place).

It should be noted that the MLB schedule has times posted for all games on 8/21 except the Cubs/Cards, but that could always change. My rep told me yesterday that the Monday-Friday game times are set in stone, but Saturday and Sunday times are still in flux.

I might want to spring for $20-30 upper deck tix on StubHub for Elvis night now, then?

DumpJerry
01-29-2011, 03:18 PM
I might want to spring for $20-30 upper deck tix on StubHub for Elvis night now, then?
That's up to you, of course. There are tickets on StubHub right now for the game for $22-$472. You might want to wait until March when more tickets hit StubHub (that's when STHs get their tickets and start posting them). Also, in March we might have a better idea if the Sunday Cub game is a ESPN game (the Sox game that day is less expensive).

However, if you have never been to Elvis Night, you should go-it's a treat!

SephClone89
01-29-2011, 03:35 PM
That's up to you, of course. There are tickets on StubHub right now for the game for $22-$472. You might want to wait until March when more tickets hit StubHub (that's when STHs get their tickets and start posting them). Also, in March we might have a better idea if the Sunday Cub game is a ESPN game (the Sox game that day is less expensive).

However, if you have never been to Elvis Night, you should go-it's a treat!

Hm. As of right now I'm not planning on going myself; I think I'll just get two tickets for each game for my parents.

The only thing is that I am going to try to get the Cubs-Cards tickets right when those go on general sale, so I need to make that decision by whenever that is.

I've never been to Elvis Night, but it doesn't appeal to me--what's the deal?

gaelhound
01-29-2011, 03:50 PM
hm. As of right now i'm not planning on going myself; i think i'll just get two tickets for each game for my parents.

The only thing is that i am going to try to get the cubs-cards tickets right when those go on general sale, so i need to make that decision by whenever that is.

I've never been to elvis night, but it doesn't appeal to me--what's the deal?
dude! Its elvis?

DumpJerry
01-29-2011, 03:50 PM
I've never been to Elvis Night, but it doesn't appeal to me--what's the deal?
Flying Elvii parachute into Comiskey before and after the game. Elvis bands outside the park pre-game, Elvis impersonator give a concert post game, post game fireworks set to Elvis songs, players' pictures on the scoreboard with Elvis hair and sideburns photoshopped on them, a sold out crowd in the stands, Elvis/White Sox trivia on the scoreboard during the game.

SephClone89
01-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Flying Elvii parachute into Comiskey before and after the game. Elvis bands outside the park pre-game, Elvis impersonator give a concert post game, post game fireworks set to Elvis songs, players' pictures on the scoreboard with Elvis hair and sideburns photoshopped on them, a sold out crowd in the stands, Elvis/White Sox trivia on the scoreboard during the game.

Well, my dad does like Elvis. And sold out is always a good thing. If it's well-attended I'll feel better about getting them an upper deck seat.

DumpJerry
01-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Well, my dad does like Elvis. And sold out is always a good thing. If it's well-attended I'll feel better about getting them an upper deck seat.
Half the people in the stands will be dressed in their best Elvis outfits.

SephClone89
01-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Half the people in the stands will be dressed in their best Elvis outfits.

:D:

At the very least this seems like a very bizarre classic Veeckian way to cap a Red Line Doubleheader. And Cubs-Cards followed by the Sox taking on the AL champs? I think this'll be a good gift.

GoGoCrede
01-29-2011, 04:06 PM

:rolling: :rolling:

gobears1987
01-29-2011, 04:39 PM

You can blame Fox and ESPN for those days being in flux. Although, it is nice when they do pick the Sox for big broadcasts to get some national exposure.

chisoxfanatic
01-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Do Cards/Cubs games at Wrigley usually sell out immediately, even though the team isn't regularly selling out any more? I couldn't go there for Sox/Cubs (those games are bad enough at Comiskey), but I wouldn't be opposed to going there just to see the Cards play there!

DumpJerry
01-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Do Cards/Cubs games at Wrigley usually sell out immediately, even though the team isn't regularly selling out any more? I couldn't go there for Sox/Cubs (those games are bad enough at Comiskey), but I wouldn't be opposed to going there just to see the Cards play there!
It is usually the hardest ticket of the season, especially a weekend series (people come up from St. Louis). I've been to two Cub/Sox games at The Urinal, even sat in the Bleachers, and the atmosphere wasn't bad. We're all neighbors and Bear fans, so there aren't too many conflicts.

StillMissOzzie
01-29-2011, 10:59 PM

My son and I did a Red Line DH a few years ago, and coincidentally (or not) it was also an Elvis Night then too. I remember that Chris Chelios tossed out the first ball for both games, and both Chicago teams lost.

SMO
:gulp:

chisoxfanatic
01-29-2011, 11:27 PM
My son and I did a Red Line DH a few years ago, and coincidentally (or not) it was also an Elvis Night then too. I remember that Chris Chelios tossed out the first ball for both games, and both Chicago teams lost.

SMO
:gulp:
Coincidence? I think not!

DumpJerry
01-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Coincidence? I think not!
I know, I know. He paid off the players to throw the games.:rolleyes:

ewokpelts
01-31-2011, 02:20 PM

EDIT: And Elvis night is a Premier date? Blech.stubhub has upper reserved tix below face right now.

ewokpelts
01-31-2011, 02:21 PM
the saturday games are 3:10 and 6:10, so you can do both if you choose to miss either part of the cubs game or the sox game.

ewokpelts
01-31-2011, 02:23 PM
there's FRONT row tix on stubhub. do it.

kittle42
01-31-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm so glad this is back this season. It was an annual (sometimes twice a season) tradition for about four years for me and a group of friends, until there were no dates last season.

Always a fun day of completely drunken revelry. With it being a Friday this season, no need to take a day off of work, either!

Ex-Chicagoan
01-31-2011, 04:16 PM
Did the doubleheader in '92. Sox were the day game, and Cubs were the night game. Walked up to the window and asked for "three good ones," and about fell over when I saw they were first row behind the Houston dugout. We ducked every time Shawon Dunston threw to first.

Have not set foot in Wrigley since. :D:

DumpJerry
01-31-2011, 06:34 PM
the saturday games are 3:10 and 6:10, so you can do both if you choose to miss either part of the cubs game or the sox game.
That's Mark Buehrle Bobblehead night. If Burl's is pitching, you will miss most of the game if you stay for the entire Cub game and it does not go past 3 hours.