PDA

View Full Version : Sox Logo Trivia Question

Jitterbug Boy
01-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Sorry if this is common knowledge around here. I'm fairly new.

I've always been curious who came up with the White Sox "Batterman" logo in 1976? I know Bill Veeck was the owner then, but I'd like to know specifically who designed it and if they did anything else.
It has to be one of the greatest icons in baseball if not marketing in general.

Just curious.

LITTLE NELL
01-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Don't know who designed it but I was never a big fan of it. I'm a fan of the old English Sox design that was started in the early 50s and that we had up until 1976 and again in late 90 up until now.

Stoky44
01-28-2011, 04:38 PM
I am a huge fan of the batterman, and wish they would bring it back.

downstairs
01-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Knowing how cheap Veeck was (not saying that's a bad thing, it was somewhat charming) I'm thinking it was some small local design company. I'm sure- unless by some bizarre chance someone on this board was involved in it- you'll never find out.

I don't think teams hired large ad firms (like a Leo Burnett or J. Walter Thompson) for stuff back then.

Red Barchetta
01-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Don't know who designed it but I was never a big fan of it. I'm a fan of the old English Sox design that was started in the early 50s and that we had up until 1976 and again in late 90 up until now.

I agree. I never really liked it. Reminds me of the "Pedestrians Crossing" street signs.

I also like the Old English SOX logo the best. Either the current version or the Black/White/Red version from the late 50s. :cool:

Brian26
01-28-2011, 05:39 PM
That logo is cool now in a retro, kitschy sort of way, but its a completely generic logo that could have been used by any team and should never be brought back.

WhiteSox5187
01-28-2011, 05:48 PM
I love that logo, it might have been designed by Veeck's wife as she designed the uniforms they wore under Veeck.

Lip Man 1
01-28-2011, 06:14 PM
http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/53/55/thumbs/ba546kmp1q5graozlzlhyq8jp.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/logo.php?id=ba546kmp1q5graozlzlhyq8jp)

Lip

soltrain21
01-28-2011, 06:34 PM
http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/53/55/thumbs/ba546kmp1q5graozlzlhyq8jp.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/logo.php?id=ba546kmp1q5graozlzlhyq8jp)

Lip

I agree.

Bobby Thigpen
01-28-2011, 07:08 PM
I agree.
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2002_Catch_Me_If_You_Can/2003_catch_me_if_you_can_019.jpg
Do you concur?

tebman
01-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Don't know who came up with the batterman logo, but this thread reminded me that I had read that Chuck Comiskey claimed to have designed the Old English logo that's been familiar since 1949. I dug around and found the post where I'd read that here (http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1009025&postcount=10). A good story and better still if it's true.

FielderJones
01-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Not a fan at all of the 1976 logo. Give me the current one or the one in my avatar. Those two classic logos have been used by the Sox for more than half their existence. The batterman - not even 10 years?

Viva Medias B's
01-28-2011, 08:24 PM
I like that old logo.

SephClone89
01-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Not a fan at all of the 1976 logo. Give me the current one or the one in my avatar. Those two classic logos have been used by the Sox for more than half their existence. The batterman - not even 10 years?

This guy...he knows what's what.

Lip Man 1
01-28-2011, 09:30 PM
I asked Sox historian Rich Lindberg who worked for Veeck and Reinsdorf-Einhorn if he could clear this up, here is what he e-mailed to me:

"It was an advertising firm - back in 1976 - but I can't remember the name. Sorry."

Lip

Hitmen77
01-28-2011, 09:41 PM
That logo is cool now in a retro, kitschy sort of way, but its a completely generic logo that could have been used by any team and should never be brought back.

I totally agree. It looks cool now as a retro logo, but it pales in comparison to our classic "Old English" logo.

When I was a kid, it just seemed to me like the Cubs had a classic logo and classic uniforms and the Sox had a nice, but generic logo and goofy uniforms. The current logo (and uniform) is great and I'm glad the Sox brought them back.

Don't know who designed it but I was never a big fan of it. I'm a fan of the old English Sox design that was started in the early 50s and that we had up until 1976 and again in late 90s up until now.

Actually, they re-introduced the Old English logo late in the 1990 season as their new look as they moved to the new ballpark in 1991. So, it's been back for 20 years now.

Brian26
01-28-2011, 09:54 PM

This guy...he knows what's what.

Except that the batterman logo was used from '76 to '90. That would be 15 years.

Jitterbug Boy
01-28-2011, 09:55 PM
I asked Sox historian Rich Lindberg who worked for Veeck and Reinsdorf-Einhorn if he could clear this up, here is what he e-mailed to me:

"It was an advertising firm - back in 1976 - but I can't remember the name. Sorry."

Lip

Thanks Lip. I figured that would probably be the answer. But knowing that Veeck's wife designed the uniforms in 1976, I thought there might be more to the story.

fisk4ever
01-28-2011, 10:15 PM
This site has a lot of uniform and logo information, especially in the forums: http://www.sportslogos.net/

FielderJones
01-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Except that the batterman logo was used from '76 to '90. That would be 15 years.

Really? Those were the worst 15 years of Sox uniform history. I didn't think it was part of the Einhorn E cap years (yes I know it's really a script C).

Nellie_Fox
01-29-2011, 12:09 AM
Really? Those were the worst 15 years of Sox uniform history. I didn't think it was part of the Einhorn E cap years (yes I know it's really a script C).Yeah, for the first few years, it was on the left breast of the satin jacket. In fact, that jacket's probably still in some unpacked box in the garage attic, unless my wife gave it to Goodwill at some point.

Later they put the script White Sox across the front, but I had one with the SOX batter logo. Never really liked it very much.

LITTLE NELL
01-29-2011, 05:20 AM

I totally agree. It looks cool now as a retro logo, but it pales in comparison to our classic "Old English" logo.

When I was a kid, it just seemed to me like the Cubs had a classic logo and classic uniforms and the Sox had a nice, but generic logo and goofy uniforms. The current logo (and uniform) is great and I'm glad the Sox brought them back.

Actually, they re-introduced the Old English logo late in the 1990 season as their new look as they moved to the new ballpark in 1991. So, it's been back for 20 years now.

My post said late 90, I don't know who added the s to it.

g0g0
01-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Being a child of the 80s's, that's the logo I grew up with. Seemed like a completely different team when they went (back?) to the pinstripes and old logo.

Hitmen77
01-29-2011, 10:00 AM
My post said late 90, I don't know who added the s to it.

Oh, that's odd.:scratch: At any rate, it looks like you were completely correct.

What did fans think in '76 when they ditched the old english logo? I suppose it was a time when "modern" was in, so maybe there wasn't any uproar. In hindsight, I can't imagine why they got rid of the old (and now current) logo.

LITTLE NELL
01-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Oh, that's odd.:scratch: At any rate, it looks like you were completely correct.

What did fans think in '76 when they ditched the old english logo? I suppose it was a time when "modern" was in, so maybe there wasn't any uproar. In hindsight, I can't imagine why they got rid of the old (and now current) logo.

I can't speak for all Sox fans but my friends and I hated the Veeck uniform and the logo, for years we had classsy uniforms and then we go to softball uniforms, UGH.

Here is another bad change (1969) with the blue hose and white stirrups.
http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1970_chicago.gif

Still my favorites:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1959_chicago.gif

Nellie_Fox
01-30-2011, 12:31 AM
What did fans think in '76 when they ditched the old english logo? I suppose it was a time when "modern" was in, so maybe there wasn't any uproar. In hindsight, I can't imagine why they got rid of the old (and now current) logo.Most of us weren't happy, but there was no way to express any "uproar," what with no internet and all. I don't think fans got as worked up about things like that then (e.g., changes in sleeve patches sending people into apoplexy.)

tebman
01-30-2011, 01:15 PM

There was some eyebrow-raising since the new uniforms made the Sox look like a company softball team. I don't remember there being any real uproar, probably because everyone was so happy that Veeck had saved the team from moving to Seattle that we were willing to cut him a lot of slack.

Besides saving the team for Chicago, Veeck came back after a lot of years of dull, uninspired performance by the team and in promotion. Veeck's return was like opening the drapes and letting sunshine fill the room -- the South Side shall rise again! We were excited, and if goofy-looking uniforms happened, well, that was part of the package.

Remember too that the Messersmith decision that allowed the opening of free-agency came shortly after Veeck closed the deal on the Sox. Veeck's business model and partnership arrangement were not equipped to deal with that and the team suffered as a result. When the White Sox couldn't compete, the uniforms weren't funny anymore.

Iron Dragon2
01-31-2011, 07:41 PM
I like the batterman, and the early 80s uniforms. Those were the ones I grew up with.

CPditka
02-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Not to restart the debate, but if were going to put a patch on our sleeve w/ a logo Id like it to be the Batterman logo, could be a nice nod to history, and a cool alternate design.

Nellie_Fox
02-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Not to restart the debate, but if were going to put a patch on our sleeve w/ a logo Id like it to be the Batterman logo, could be a nice nod to history, and a cool alternate design.From a marketing standpoint, I don't think it would make sense to muddy the waters with multiple logos. The Old English Sox is vastly superior to the "batterman" (where the hell did that name for it come from?)

AnkleSox
02-01-2011, 12:04 PM
I like that logo for fan gear, but would never want to see it back on the actual uniforms.