PDA

View Full Version : Chavez chooses Ordonez


Chisox_cali
07-02-2002, 03:08 AM
Here the Whole Article Chavez (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20020701&content_id=71184&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp)

Here's the Quote

Frankly, he might be a dark horse in the race anyway. Boston's Johnny Damon, with that widespread Red Sox fan base behind him, looms as a favorite, while Chicago's Magglio Ordonez (the candidate Chavez endorsed),Cleveland's Jim Thome and Anaheim's Darin Erstad all are deserving candidates.

:maggs
"If only his vote counted 200,000 times..."

kermittheefrog
07-02-2002, 09:45 AM
How did Erstad get on this ballot anyway? He's not even having a good year. His OPS is only 124 points lower than his teammate Tim Salmon. My mistake for ever saying we'd be better off having him than JG.

doublem23
07-02-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
How did Erstad get on this ballot anyway? He's not even having a good year. His OPS is only 124 points lower than his teammate Tim Salmon. My mistake for ever saying we'd be better off having him than JG.

That's what happens when you let fans (who, 90% or so are completely baseball-icly brainless) vote. Any All-Star game in which the fans get to vote (NBA, MLB) are a complete joke.

I wish the MLB would do like the Pro Bowl and let the players vote.

TheBigHurt
07-02-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by doublem23


That's what happens when you let fans (who, 90% or so are completely baseball-icly brainless) vote. Any All-Star game in which the fans get to vote (NBA, MLB) are a complete joke.

I wish the MLB would do like the Pro Bowl and let the players vote.

im pretty sure that last year the fans voted for the starters for the pro bowl.

TheBigHurt
07-02-2002, 10:04 AM
If only Chavez was Torre :angry:

doublem23
07-02-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt


im pretty sure that last year the fans voted for the starters for the pro bowl.

Well, then the Pro Bowl is now a joke, too (as if it wasn't already in its own way....). I'm talking before, when the players voted for who they thought deserved to go.

kermittheefrog
07-02-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by doublem23


That's what happens when you let fans (who, 90% or so are completely baseball-icly brainless) vote. Any All-Star game in which the fans get to vote (NBA, MLB) are a complete joke.

I wish the MLB would do like the Pro Bowl and let the players vote.

Really the problem isn't even the fan voting. The only bad choice by the fans was Shea Hillenbrand. The problem is the managers especially when it comes to selecting guys from their own teams. You can also throw in the fact that it isn't a manager's job to follow baseball, it's his job to manage his team. It can't be that important to him to follow things and make sure the right guys are going.

Chisoxfn
07-02-2002, 08:23 PM
IN case you all think Erstad is having a bad year, just look at the fact that his avg has jumped nearly .40 points the past month and a half and mix it with the fact that he is the Angels leader. I know Salmon is having a great year as well, but Erstad also provides speed and an amazing glove. To me he is the best defensive outfielder in the AL next to Ichiro.