PDA

View Full Version : The Sox and the Fourth of July.

MarkEdward
07-01-2002, 11:44 PM
Most people have off on Independence Day. This is a day where most people have BBQs and have other outdoor parties. So wouldn't it be smarter for the Sox to play a day game on the Fourth? I don't know about others, but my family begins their grilling at around 5:00 or 5:30. This leaves little time to get out to the ballpark. If the Sox played at twelve or one I'd be able to go, then come back home for BBQ. Also, since many have the day off, there would be a spike in attendance for that game.

This is just a small gripe. I'll be at the games on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday anyway.

Daver
07-01-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Most people have off on Independence Day. This is a day where most people have BBQs and have other outdoor parties. So wouldn't it be smarter for the Sox to play a day game on the Fourth? I don't know about others, but my family begins their grilling at around 5:00 or 5:30. This leaves little time to get out to the ballpark. If the Sox played at twelve or one I'd be able to go, then come back home for BBQ. Also, since many have the day off, there would be a spike in attendance for that game.

This is just a small gripe. I'll be at the games on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday anyway.

It is an added fireworks night the day after the city has thier show,I think it is a good move on the Sox part.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

voodoochile
07-02-2002, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by daver

It is an added fireworks night the day after the city has thier show,I think it is a good move on the Sox part.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

It normally sells really well, so the early evening game is good for business. Picnic in the afternoon at the beach then drive to Comiskey in your Chevy for some baseball, hotdogs and fireworks then go home for apple pie. Sounds pretty all-American to me...

steff
07-02-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

It normally sells really well, so the early evening game is good for business. Picnic in the afternoon at the beach then drive to Comiskey in your Chevy for some baseball, hotdogs and fireworks then go home for apple pie. Sounds pretty all-American to me...

Actually, it used to be a day game. But with the Taste and it being a family bbq day it was changed in (I think 1995). It was a suggestion from season ticket holders from what I remember. I do remember that we got a nice letter about it, and an extra set of UD tickets for the game. Back in the day when they cared about the fans.. *sigh*