PDA

View Full Version : NESN: Top 10 Baseball Movies

Fenway
01-26-2011, 10:24 AM
http://media.nesn.com/2011/01/kevin-costner-charlie-sheen-star-in-top-10-baseball-movies/

They missed one of my favorites

http://www.impawards.com/1973/posters/bang_the_drum_slowly.jpg

TomBradley72
01-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Would have liked to see "Pastime" and "Sugar" make the list- definitely ahead of "Sandlot".

"Bang the Drum Slowly" is worthy of consideration as well.

TDog
01-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Pastime is really an excellent, nearly forgotten movie. It is exponentially better than The Sandlot, which I only saw recently.

While Pastime is a gritty, real look at minor league baseball and America in the 1950s, The Sandlot sanitizes a similar period for the our protection. When James Earl Jones said he couldn't play with Babe Ruth after a certain point because and let a kid complete his thought, it angered me that he agree that the reason was his being blind. I was set for a lesson in American history. Jackie Robinson didn't break in with the Dodgers until 1947, the year before Babe Ruth died of cancer.

SephClone89
01-26-2011, 05:56 PM
When it comes to sappy and corny baseball movies, The Natural beats the **** out of Field of Dreams. The latter is all over the place. The plot goes off on bizarre tangents and the movie is really really unfocused. Also the portrayal of the Black Sox is not at all true to real life. They are all just generic old-time ballplayers. No personalities.

Also, I didn't get what was so great about Bull Durham.

JohnTucker0814
01-26-2011, 06:11 PM
I want to see Sugar, it was filmed at our local minor league stadium in the Quad Cities, I think. Isn't the team featured the "Swing"... which was our crappy name when they filmed!

DSpivack
01-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Bull Durham is my favorite, with Major League being second.

Haven't seen a couple that some have mentioned.

Fenway
01-26-2011, 06:20 PM
I know what the WORST baseball movie was

pgdC4F2aW28

illinibk
01-26-2011, 11:04 PM

I couldn't agree more. I think that's one of the most overrated movies of all time. Usually on these types of lists, it is usually #1, so I was pleasantly surprised it was all the way down at #3.

JermaineDye05
01-26-2011, 11:09 PM
I think A League of Their Own should have been higher.

This scene has one of my favorite lines of all time, and no it's not "there's no crying in baseball."

rWoD2sQ9LiU

Domeshot17
01-26-2011, 11:17 PM
I can't argue too much with the list. I loved most of those movies, but I am a sucker for most baseball movies. I like the sandlot on the list. Maybe because I was a kid during its release, but there were really 3 big baseball movies aimed at kids when I grew up: The Sandlot, Little Big League, and Rookie of the year. The Sandlot not only made me want to be in my backyard all day playing, but as I have grown up, I still can't turn it off if its on.

I would love to see this list get expanded to the top 20. Some overly cheesy movies still missing from the list: For love of the game, Summer Catch, Rookie of the Year, Little Big League etc.

One movie that doesn't get much love that I actually really enjoyed was the final season. However, I understand anything that even has Tom Arnold in it can't be in the top 10.

sullythered
01-26-2011, 11:48 PM
I think A League of Their Own should have been higher.

A reasonable argument could be made that "A League of Their Own" is the best sports movie ever made.

"Major League" was a better movie than every one it was behind, and "Pastime" should certainly have been on the list.

sullythered
01-26-2011, 11:50 PM
I would love to see this list get expanded to the top 20. Some overly cheesy movies still missing from the list: For love of the game, Summer Catch, Rookie of the Year, Little Big League etc.

You could expand the list to 20, and none of that garbage would make the cut.

Fenway
01-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Give NESN credit

They didn't include....

GXwMdU3fEQY

I have this clip cued up - why they were allowed on the field in St Louis....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF4d7ZGapMA&feature=player_detailpage#t=50s

DSpivack
01-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Give NESN credit

They didn't include....

GXwMdU3fEQY

I have this clip cued up - why they were allowed on the field in St Louis....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF4d7ZGapMA&feature=player_detailpage#t=50s

'Tis a shame this was made, I have the original on my netflix queue and would love to read that book someday.

SephClone89
01-27-2011, 01:53 AM
'Tis a shame this was made, I have the original on my netflix queue and would love to read that book someday.

Oh, you have no excuse not to have already read the book. I've read it two or three times. It's fantastic.

But then, everything that Nick Hornby writes is fantastic.

Bob Roarman
01-27-2011, 04:26 AM
When it comes to sappy and corny baseball movies, The Natural beats the **** out of Field of Dreams. The latter is all over the place. The plot goes off on bizarre tangents and the movie is really really unfocused. Also the portrayal of the Black Sox is not at all true to real life. They are all just generic old-time ballplayers. No personalities.

Field of Dreams was never really about the Black Sox. So looking for it to give an accurate representation of any them isn't really being fair. In fact, it's really not even a movie about baseball. It just uses it as a backdrop, a setting, almost as a prop.

SephClone89
01-27-2011, 04:42 AM
Field of Dreams was never really about the Black Sox. So looking for it to give an accurate representation of any them isn't really being fair. In fact, it's really not even a movie about baseball. It just uses it as a backdrop, a setting, almost as a prop.

Fair enough. I understand that.

The movie is still unfocused and the narrative is all over the place, though.

g0g0
01-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Ray Kinsella (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000126/): Don't we need a catcher?
Shoeless Joe Jackson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000501/): Not if you get it near the plate we don't.

Fenway
01-27-2011, 09:14 AM

Fenway Park was a last minute stand in for Comiskey in Field of Dreams. The producers wanted to shoot Ray taking Terrance Mann to a game at the old park, but in 1988 the LAST thing JR and EE wanted was something that would glorify Comiskey. Wrigley wouldn't fit the Shoeless Joe storyline do they settled on Boston.

Early in the movie you see Ray having a White Sox game on TV in the background.

cub killer
01-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Seeing Henry Hill as Shoeless Joe was just weird.

TDog
01-29-2011, 01:38 AM
Fair enough. I understand that.

The movie is still unfocused and the narrative is all over the place, though.

It doesn't follow a cliche plot as Hollywood adaptation of The Natural does, in any case.

The Natural is predictable. Robert Redford hitting the home run at the end in stark contradiction to the book would make the movie comically bad movie if the art direction hadn't been so good.

Field of Dreams is mystical. Just because a movie plot doesn't move in a straight, predictable line doesn't make it unfocused. (Alfred Hitchcock wasn't unfocused.) If you are coming to Field of Dreams cold, you don't know what is going to happen next. Even if you have read the book Shoeless Joe, you aren't really sure because one of the novel's motivation points to building the field ends up a surprise point to wrap up the cinematic story.

Both The Natural and Field of Dreams were inspired by the tragedy of Shoeless Joe Jackson, in the same way that the Vietnam War inspired both The Deer Hunter and the Conrad adaptation that became Apocalypse Now. Field of Dreams presents a Joe Jackson more articulate than he reportedly was in real life, but The Natural strips the Joe Jackson character of any depth as well as anything that would hint at any sort of link to Joe Jackson.

RadioheadRocks
01-29-2011, 01:59 AM
Can't beat the one featuring a booger-eating moron :D:

Tragg
01-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Geeze, Field of Dreams again. It's not really a baseball movie; although baseball is played a ton in it it's pitch and catch, not a game.

SOXSINCE'70
01-29-2011, 12:38 PM
I know what the WORST baseball movie was

pgdC4F2aW28

Hard to disagree.

SOXSINCE'70
01-29-2011, 12:41 PM
What about "Fear Strikes Out" (for Karl Malden portraying Anthony Perkins' father) or "The Monty Stratton Story" ?

TommyJohn
01-29-2011, 06:50 PM
It doesn't follow a cliche plot as Hollywood adaptation of The Natural does, in any case.

The Natural is predictable. Robert Redford hitting the home run at the end in stark contradiction to the book would make the movie comically bad movie if the art direction hadn't been so good.

Field of Dreams is mystical. Just because a movie plot doesn't move in a straight, predictable line doesn't make it unfocused. (Alfred Hitchcock wasn't unfocused.) If you are coming to Field of Dreams cold, you don't know what is going to happen next. Even if you have read the book Shoeless Joe, you aren't really sure because one of the novel's motivation points to building the field ends up a surprise point to wrap up the cinematic story.

Both The Natural and Field of Dreams were inspired by the tragedy of Shoeless Joe Jackson, in the same way that the Vietnam War inspired both The Deer Hunter and the Conrad adaptation that became Apocalypse Now. Field of Dreams presents a Joe Jackson more articulate than he reportedly was in real life, but The Natural strips the Joe Jackson character of any depth as well as anything that would hint at any sort of link to Joe Jackson.

Gene Siskel gave The Natural a good review and had a great retort for critics who ripped it for changing the book's ending by commenting that most of them probably never even read the book. I had no problem with the movie, because I was only 15 when I saw it and had never read the book. I have since done so twice, and I like both versions-both have their own merits. The book was how a hero is brought down by the forces of evil-including his own arrogance and impulsive nature-and the movie explored baseball as myth and the player as a hero. If it had one flaw, it is that Roy Hobbs was pure, noble, and too good to be true. He isn't even tempted to throw the game or to do any wrong.

cub killer
01-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Geeze, Field of Dreams again. It's not really a baseball movie; although baseball is played a ton in it it's pitch and catch, not a game.
It absolutely is a baseball movie. There's more to it than just baseball, but it's still a bonafide baseball flick.

When I 1st saw it years ago, I thought it was amazing. The last time I saw it, I rolled my eyes at its sappiness.

VMSNS
01-29-2011, 08:16 PM
I thought The Rookie was a pretty crappy movie, but what do I know.

TomBradley72
01-29-2011, 09:42 PM
"Field of Dreams" was on cable again today- had it one while working around the house- the story is pretty convoluted- but there are many scenes and quotes that in and of themselves- show a great insight into the love for the game.

Shoeless Joe Jackson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000501/): Getting thrown out of baseball was like having part of me amputated. I've heard that old men wake up and scratch itchy legs that been dust for over fifty years. That was me. I'd wake up at night with the smell of the ball park in my nose, the cool of the grass on my feet... The thrill of the grass.

[Archie's at bat and is almost hit by the pitcher's throws, twice]
Archie Graham (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001844/): Hey ump, how 'bout a warning?
Clean-shaven Umpire (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0291313/): Sure, kid. Watch out you don't get killed.

Ray Kinsella (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000126/): Where'd they come from?
Shoeless Joe Jackson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000501/): Where did WE come from? You wouldn't believe how many guys wanted to play here. We had to beat 'em off with a stick.
Archie Graham (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001844/): Hey, that's Smokey Joe Wood. And Mel Ott. And Gil Hodges!
Shoeless Joe Jackson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000501/): Ty Cobb wanted to play, but none of us could stand the son-of-a-bitch when we were alive, so we told him to stick it!

TDog
01-30-2011, 04:53 AM
Gene Siskel gave The Natural a good review and had a great retort for critics who ripped it for changing the book's ending by commenting that most of them probably never even read the book. I had no problem with the movie, because I was only 15 when I saw it and had never read the book. I have since done so twice, and I like both versions-both have their own merits. The book was how a hero is brought down by the forces of evil-including his own arrogance and impulsive nature-and the movie explored baseball as myth and the player as a hero. If it had one flaw, it is that Roy Hobbs was pure, noble, and too good to be true. He isn't even tempted to throw the game or to do any wrong.

Roger Ebert didn't read the book before seeing the movie and gave the movie a bad review in large part because of the ending. But he never judged movies against their literary sources. His thumbs down was discussed on the television at the time. It's not just a cliche ending to a cliche movie. It's dishonest. Play and you'll die, the doctor tells Roy Hobbs. He makes the decision to play, wins the game and lives to play catch with his son. It was a great film to look at, but it presented a poor story with thematic problems.

I know people who weren't baseball fans who walked out of the movie because they didn't think it was very good long before the cheesy ending, but they hadn't read the book. Bernard Malamud was asked about how he felt about the movie with a Roy Hobbs as different from the book as the version of Moby Dick that begins with Capt. Ahab jumping off a ship and dancing at the dock was from the Herman Melville epic. Malamud said he liked the movie because without it, most people wouldn't have heard of him. Of course, if his Roy Hobbs had been as shallow as the Robert Redford Roy Hobbs, he wouldn't have written a baseball novel that would have been made into a movie that starred Robert Redford.

As I recall, Roger Ebert liked Field of Dreams, but Gene Siskel did not.

gobears1987
01-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Fenway Park was a last minute stand in for Comiskey in Field of Dreams. The producers wanted to shoot Ray taking Terrance Mann to a game at the old park, but in 1988 the LAST thing JR and EE wanted was something that would glorify Comiskey. Wrigley wouldn't fit the Shoeless Joe storyline do they settled on Boston.

Early in the movie you see Ray having a White Sox game on TV in the background.In the book, Ray went to a game at Comiskey.

As for him watching a game, he definitely was watching the White Sox as it was Don Paul being visited by Pudge on the mound.

gobears1987
01-30-2011, 07:12 AM
Major League needs to be much higher than 8.

gobears1987
01-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Field of Dreams may not be a true baseball movie, but it certainly belongs on this list. I'd even say the writers got it correct putting it #1. It might not have a real game in it. The plot may not center around baseball, but this movie captured what baseball is about better than any movie ever made.

If you don't believe me, watch Terrance Mahan's speech at the end.

"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come."

Just another fun fact about the movie, but Archie Graham was a real person. Most of the basic facts given are true, but his actual game was in 1905, not 1922. He also died in 1965, not 1972. He of course died in Chisholm Minnesota.

Dick Allen
01-31-2011, 01:04 AM
It's too bad a couple of my favorite oldies didn't make it - "It Happens Every Spring" and "Angels in the Outfield(original)".

Oblong
01-31-2011, 10:14 AM
In High School we watched Field of Dreams at a friends house, not long after it came out on VHS. One of my literary type non baseball friends brought up a good point. She asked "If the game is so pure and special then why are they using cheaters to glorify it?" At the time I didn't have an answer. I can understand if they're thinking Shoeless Joe was a victim in it all, it's an arguable point but one you can get past pretty quick if that's what the author wants to express. But the other Black Sox were there too and there's not much doubt. So why include them? Why not just leave it at guys like Honus Wagner and others who have passed on. Even more striking when they point out the thing with Cobb.

spawn
01-31-2011, 10:27 AM
I always liked "The Bingo Long Travelling All-Stars and Motor Kings".

PaleHoseFan
01-31-2011, 01:34 PM
It Happens Every Spring (1949) is a fun movie.