PDA

View Full Version : The Sox-Twins rivalry.

SephClone89
01-26-2011, 01:06 AM
What are everyone's thoughts on this rivalry?

Personally, I think it's great for both teams. I hope this is something that endures for a long time and becomes a classic rivalry. It's nice to have an actual rival. The Cubs aren't a real rival. They are a social rival. The Twins are a good old fashioned baseball rival.

When the schedule comes out I first look at Opening Day, then Yankees (because it's a tradition with a friend that we go at least once a year), then it's Twins. Need to get to a Sox-Twins game every year.

I'd like to see the Sox push this rivalry more in terms of advertisements. Advertise the hell out of Sox-Twins matchups.

Do you agree?

Do you think the rivalry is reciprocated?

(mods, feel free to move this to What's the Score. I was debating between the two)

cub killer
01-26-2011, 04:01 AM
I don't think this belongs in WTS. This is legit.

When I see that Twins logo, emotions stir up. It's hard to describe. I think of the inferno that was the baggy dome. I get the kind of trepidation that a kid feels when he's unprepared for a big test at school. I fear the Twins, I respect the Twins, I hate them but love giving them all we have. But man, they'll take years off a fan's life. It's so gut wrenching, it's such a grinder.

Our rivalry is 2nd to none, IMO, and there really is no need to promote it further. It sells itself. I remember the Santana-Garcia epic battle in the dome. Crede's clutch moments against them. And of course, Thome's dinger.

Yeah, this rivalry is past the point of no return. Meaning, because of the epic wars between us in the past decade, there will always be a certain vibe when we meet, even if 1 team is in 1st while the other is in the cellar. I look forward to all our games with them, and there are many more chapters of epic baseball to come between these 2 storied American League franchises.

Harry Potter
01-26-2011, 07:53 AM
And of course, Thome's dinger(s).

2008 :bandance:and 2010 :whiner:

DumpJerry
01-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Even though I spent seven years living in enemy territory (Minnesota), the Twins don't have much of an impact on me. I guess it's because they don't have a cocky fanbase. They annoyed me because they acted like Cub fans (gleefully happy to just be alive).

The Vikings, on the other hand, :angry::angry::angry:

Zisk77
01-26-2011, 08:05 AM
I think the Swedish Bikini team should be our bitterest rival and we should play them in an unbalanced schedule. About 25 times a year would be good.:cool:

soltrain21
01-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Baseball rivalries in general are just watered down now. It's tough to have a fan base "pumped" for every game when you play them 19 times every year.

sox1970
01-26-2011, 09:46 AM
There are three rivalries in baseball, none of which involve the White Sox.

TomBradley72
01-26-2011, 10:00 AM
I like it- going all the way back to the divisions created heading into the 1969 season- the White Sox lost alot of their historic rivalries when they were relegated to the West and the Yankees, Tigers, Indians, etc. ended up in the East. Another rivalry candidate was eliminated when the Brewers moved to the National League.

I think the rivalry with the Twins has been building steadily over the past decade- seems to be pretty mutual.

SephClone89
01-26-2011, 10:02 AM
There are three rivalries in baseball, none of which involve the White Sox.

Yankees-Red Sox, Giants-Dodgers, Cubs-Cardinals?

soxnut1018
01-26-2011, 10:17 AM
I don't care if the Sox push the rivalry or not, just kick the crap out of the Twins this year. The Twins are probably my most hated team in all of sports.

sox1970
01-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Yankees-Red Sox, Giants-Dodgers, Cubs-Cardinals?

Yes

SephClone89
01-26-2011, 10:56 AM
I think another factor which really adds to the rivalry is the fact that true Minnesotans should support the White Sox, AKA the original St. Paul Saints during the Cleveland and McKinley Administrations (1895-1899)

spawn
01-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Until The Sox beat them with the consistency they've been beaten by the Twins, it's really not a rivalry IMO.

SephClone89
01-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Until The Sox beat them with the consistency they've been beaten by the Twins, it's really not a rivalry IMO.

This is a fair point. At least the Sox managed to win three games at Minnesota last year.

The end of the Dome definitely should be seen as levelling the playing field, in the mind of Sox fans.

They definitely need to start beating them more regularly at home, though.

Hitmen77
01-26-2011, 11:28 AM
I like it- going all the way back to the divisions created heading into the 1969 season- the White Sox lost alot of their historic rivalries when they were relegated to the West and the Yankees, Tigers, Indians, etc. ended up in the East. Another rivalry candidate was eliminated when the Brewers moved to the National League.

I think the rivalry with the Twins has been building steadily over the past decade- seems to be pretty mutual.

The Sox really lost out on a chance to build regional rivalries with the way the divisions were split in 1969.

The Sox were stuck in the AL West while the Tigers, Indians, and (beginning in '72) the Brewers were in the AL East. The Twins have been in the same division as us the whole time, but it wasn't until 1994 that we finally had a group of Midwest teams all in our division to build a rivalry.

When the AL Central was formed in 1994, I thought the Sox and Brewers could finally build a rivalry, but it turns out they only lasted in our division for 4 seasons before moving to the NL. So much for that.

kittle42
01-26-2011, 11:51 AM
The Sox don't have a true, long-time rival. It really depends whether or not the Sox are doing well at the same time over a certain period as another team. The A's were rivals for a bit when I was a teenager. Then the Indians once the divisions switched and they were dominant. Now the Twins, only because both the Sox and the Twins have been good at the same time (generally).

It would take probably another 10 years+ of this Twins rivalry for it really to reach any sort of a true "rivalry" level anywhere near the others mentioned in this thread.

Moses_Scurry
01-26-2011, 12:04 PM
The Sox don't have a true, long-time rival. It really depends whether or not the Sox are doing well at the same time over a certain period as another team. The A's were rivals for a bit when I was a teenager. Then the Indians once the divisions switched and they were dominant. Now the Twins, only because both the Sox and the Twins have been good at the same time (generally).

It would take probably another 10 years+ of this Twins rivalry for it really to reach any sort of a true "rivalry" level anywhere near the others mentioned in this thread.

This was exactly what I was going to say. The Twins/Sox rivalry is only current because both teams have been doing well. If the Twins go on a Kansas City-like streak (like they did in the '90's), nobody will care about them. Cleveland was as much of a rival (one-sided as it was) in the '90's-early 2000's as the Twins are now, but nobody sees Cleveland as a rival anymore because they suck. If all teams in the central except the Sox run a streak of suckiness, we probably won't think of the Twins as "rivals" as much. We'll think of whoever the Sox play in the playoffs the most as the "main rival".

There is no cubs/Cardinals, Red Sox/Yankees, or Bears/packers for the White Sox.

spawn
01-26-2011, 12:23 PM
This is a fair point. At least the Sox managed to win three games at Minnesota last year.

The end of the Dome definitely should be seen as levelling the playing field, in the mind of Sox fans.

They definitely need to start beating them more regularly at home, though.
It's not the mind of the Sox fans that worries me. The players need to buy into the fact that the Twins aren't some juggernaut that can't be defeated.

doublem23
01-26-2011, 12:31 PM
There is no cubs/Cardinals, Red Sox/Yankees, or Bears/packers for the White Sox.

There's the Cubs. Those games are still quite heated.

KMcMahon817
01-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Having lived 95% of my life in the Minneapolis area, but being raised a die-hard SOX fan, I think it is great. I endured my fair share of **** from kids growing up, but it all was worth it when the SOX took it all my sophomore year of HS.

To me, it's a lot more than a rivalry. Like I said, all my buddies from home are Twinkies fans, so I have watched a lot more Twins games over the years than any SOX fan would like. But, that comes with it's positives. A Twins fan will have a really hard time beating me in any kind of statistical argument of any kind, considering I know both teams very, very well.

With that said, **** the twins.

twinsuck
01-26-2011, 02:17 PM
I hate those mothers.... That being said I never go the Twins/Sox games because I fear the humiliation.

kittle42
01-26-2011, 02:41 PM
I hate those mothers.... That being said I never go the Twins/Sox games because I fear the humiliation.

From whom? A handful of dudes with Mauer jerseys on?

SephClone89
01-26-2011, 03:01 PM

From whom? A handful of dudes with Mauer jerseys on?

More likely just internal humiliation.

I have been two a Sox-Twins game each of the last two seasons.

In 2009 it was the 20-1 game.
In 2010 it was the first game of their mid-September sweep of us.

Nellie_Fox
01-26-2011, 03:23 PM
...I never go the Twins/Sox games because I fear the humiliation.I've NEVER seen the Sox win in Minneapolis, either in the Dome or in Target Field. I was up there for three games last year, three losses. I think I'm done going because I just can't stand it.

Moses_Scurry
01-26-2011, 03:47 PM
I actually have a pretty good record for Twins games (I've only been to games at Chicago). I only remember one loss, and that was way back in 1987. Every Twins game for me since has been a White Sox winner.

The opposite is true for White Sox vs. cub games. I've been to three of those (2 at US Cellular; 1 at Wrigley), and the Sox have been crushed all three times. I've stopped going to those games because of it. Not only were the Sox beat, but they were beaten pretty badly in all three.

Daver
01-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Rivalries are fed by proximity, which is why the classic rivalries are teams that are relatively close to each other, it makes it easy for opposing fans to attend away games. When the Brewers were still in the division a rivalry started to develop, the Brewers always played the Sox hard, but MLB's desperate need of the cash that expansion brought them ruined what could have been a very legit rivalry.

Foulke You
01-26-2011, 05:31 PM
When the Brewers were still in the division a rivalry started to develop, the Brewers always played the Sox hard, but MLB's desperate need of the cash that expansion brought them ruined what could have been a very legit rivalry.
After the Brewers moved to the NL, for reasons I can't fathom, MLB seems to have gone out of their way to make sure the Sox almost NEVER play the Brewers in interleague play. Since they began rotating NL opponents for interleague play, the Sox have only played the Brewers twice. Once in 2001 and once in 2009. Both series were at Miller Park. Over 10 season of baseball and only 6 total games played with a former rival that sits only 75 miles away.

Daver
01-26-2011, 05:53 PM
After the Brewers moved to the NL, for reasons I can't fathom

It is actually very simple to understand, MLB as a league was desperate for cash to pay off the settlement granted to the MLBPA after the league was found guilty of collusion, the easiest way to raise funds was to expand the league and charge through the nose for the franchise fees. The group behind the Diamondbacks willingly paid the fees, and agreed to a loser of a revenue sharing deal, but they insisted on being an NL team, they would not back down, so Selig, still being in charge of the Brewers, moved them to the NL to keep the leagues unbalanced.

As far as interleague matchups, I think that Milwaukee requested more matchups with the Cubs as they are perceived to travel better as opposing fans.

ma-gaga
01-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Rivalries are also helped along by player personalities. The Twins have completely turned over their roster since 2000 when they started being competitive, so it's really hard to build up a true hatred of another franchise when that **one player that haunted you** is now playing for the Angels or has retired, or whatever.

I mean there are still some personalities left (thank god for AJ), but Harry Potter said it best with his observation: Jim Thome, White Sox hero in 2008. Jim Thome, Twins hero in 2010.

:gulp:

GlassSox
01-26-2011, 10:19 PM
It's not the mind of the Sox fans that worries me. The players need to buy into the fact that the Twins aren't some juggernaut that can't be defeated.

Right on! IMO, the 1st step is for the manager to stop his talk about flesh eating fish and Hawk to shut the **** up.

DumpJerry
01-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Rivalries are fed by proximity, which is why the classic rivalries are teams that are relatively close to each other, it makes it easy for opposing fans to attend away games. When the Brewers were still in the division a rivalry started to develop, the Brewers always played the Sox hard, but MLB's desperate need of the cash that expansion brought them ruined what could have been a very legit rivalry.

It created a rivalry with the Cubs which is probably just as legit now that it's been several years. It seems like the same number of fights take place in the stands in Milwaukee when the Cubs are there as there were when Sox fans went there.

SOXSINCE'70
01-27-2011, 12:44 PM
i don't care if the sox push the rivalry or not, just kick the crap out of the twins this year.

Amen!!