PDA

View Full Version : Steinbrenner Quote

Jerry_Manuel
07-01-2002, 07:17 PM
"Our outfield has been depleted and when Joe (manager Torre) needs something, I'm going to do everything I can to get it for him,'' Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said. "And the way our fans are supporting us day after day, I've got to step forward for them, too.''

What's our guy saying?

:reinsy
After the way our fans have supported us, all I can do is dismantle the team.

duke of dorwood
07-02-2002, 08:03 AM
We could only dream of our ownership thinking like that

Spiff
07-02-2002, 08:25 AM
It's funny too because the Yankees don't even sell out regularly. The only times they do basically is Opening Day, the Red Sox, the Mets, and the playoffs. Sometimes not even then. But that is never brought up, nor is it used as an excuse.

Granted it holds 20,000 more than Fenway, which is routinely sold out. Though with the supposed "aura" of the stadium plus the fact that they win every year it really shouldn't be hard to find people to cram in there.

Kilroy
07-02-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Spiff
It's funny too because the Yankees don't even sell out regularly. The only times they do basically is Opening Day, the Red Sox, the Mets, and the playoffs. Sometimes not even then. But that is never brought up, nor is it used as an excuse.

Granted it holds 20,000 more than Fenway, which is routinely sold out. Though with the supposed "aura" of the stadium plus the fact that they win every year it really shouldn't be hard to find people to cram in there.

When you get 3,264,847 in 2001, you're not really worrried if you sold out every game. And factor in that the average ticket price is $43 or better, and you can see how those things are possible.

Steinbrenner uses $20 bills as toilet paper.

kermittheefrog
07-02-2002, 09:49 AM
I think people are making way too much of this Mondesi deal. I think it's Toronto making the great move. It's a miracle to get rid of a 10 million dollar player with a .220 BA and a .300 OBP. From Toronto's perspective this is like trading Royce away for Brandon Phillips.

Jerry_Manuel
07-02-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think people are making way too much of this Mondesi deal. I think it's Toronto making the great move. It's a miracle to get rid of a 10 million dollar player with a .220 BA and a .300 OBP. From Toronto's perspective this is like trading Royce away for Brandon Phillips.

My only point was that Torre felt like he needed something, and the boss went out and got him something. While were sitting here, and fearing the callup of Joe Crede because they would piss off Royce.

RKMeibalane
07-02-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

My only point was that Torre felt like he needed something, and the boss went out and got him something. While were sitting here, and fearing the callup of Joe Crede because they would piss off Royce.

I really don't understand Williams' logic in this situation. It's obvious that Crede is a better player than Clayton, so he should be here. If his presence limits the amount of time that Royce gets at shortstop, so be it.

Here's an analogy: In 1995, when Michael Jordan returned (the first time) to the NBA, I don't ever remember the Bulls worrying about what Pete Myers would think.

Now, I'm not saying Crede is the Michael Jordan of baseball, but I do think that when a player with superior ability is ready to join a team, he should be given the opportunity to do so. Clayton's feelings are, for the most part, irrelevant. If Royce really cared about playing time, he would spend most of his extra time in the batting cage, which so far he hasn't done.

Jerry_Manuel
07-02-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I really don't understand Williams' logic in this situation. It's obvious that Crede is a better player than Clayton, so he should be here. If his presence limits the amount of time that Royce gets at shortstop, so be it.

The logic is that Clayton makes 4.5 million dollars so he has to play.

If they actually benched Clayton, and only used him for pinch running or defense, he would bitch like you wouldn't believe. He's a cancer in the clubhouse, and that's it.

Cheryl
07-02-2002, 01:43 PM

If they actually benched Clayton, and only used him for pinch running or defense, he would bitch like you wouldn't believe. He's a cancer in the clubhouse, and that's it.

Haven't these people ever heard of duct tape? A little duct tape over the mouth and no one has to listen to him anymore.

soxtalker
07-02-2002, 02:29 PM
To bring up Crede KW probably has to deal one of the three: Clayton, Valentine, or Durham. I heard a report on the radio today that KW thought that he might be able to get some good "buys" in this market. If that's true, the flip side of the argument is that it will be more difficult to move players.

Paulwny
07-02-2002, 05:15 PM
Some NYC yankmee fans are asking the question--- "If George loves us so much, why do we only get to see 20 games a year on tv?"

Jerry_Manuel
07-02-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Some NYC yankmee fans are asking the question--- "If George loves us so much, why do we only get to see 20 games a year on tv?"

I guess their cable provider hasn't picked up "YES"?

Paulwny
07-03-2002, 06:00 AM

I guess their cable provider hasn't picked up "YES"?

The YES Network wants YES to be part of the cable companies regular line up with a charge of ~ $1.50 to $2 per subcriber. The cable company in NYC (?) wants YES as a seperate pay channel so only people who want the station will pay. They are at a stand still.
My local provider, after an out cry from yankmee fans, carries YES.
They stated we would not have a rate increase since they were going to drop the mets channel , MSG, later in the year. We still have MSG and starting next month my cable bill is increasing by $1.50.

Jerry_Manuel
07-03-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The YES Network wants YES to be part of the cable companies regular line up with a charge of ~ $1.50 to $2 per subcriber. The cable company in NYC (?) wants YES as a seperate pay channel so only people who want the station will pay. They are at a stand still.
My local provider, after an out cry from yankmee fans, carries YES.
They stated we would not have a rate increase since they were going to drop the mets channel , MSG, later in the year. We still have MSG and starting next month my cable bill is increasing by $1.50.

Sounds like a pain in the ass.