PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf on off season strategy

keloms
01-23-2011, 04:41 AM
For those who didn't go to Sox Fest and hear it directly from Jerry himself.

http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110122&content_id=16484266&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

SOXSINCE'70
01-23-2011, 08:27 AM
If your group can't take the heat, might I make a suggestion:

:sellreinsy

IMO, it's wrong to pin all the blame on White Sox fans. If you want them to show up, CONTEND ALL SEASON.
Don't get off to a ****ty start in April and May and hope it will all work out in June and July.
And this would also help: BEAT TEAMS IN YOUR OWN DIVISION.
Especially one that plays near the "Mall Of America". :puking:

russ99
01-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Leopards don't change their spots. Jerry's gonna be Jerry regardless what Kenny talks him into.

At least this year Jerry's finally figured out that spending in the offseason can lead to better attendance. The usual plan was the other way, if the fans come out, then they'll spend and we start the year with obvious flaws.

IMO, it's worked. Personally I got tickets for more April and May games than usual, and I'm very excited about our chances.

slavko
01-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Leopards don't change their spots.

Nailed it...as far as saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, he's been amazingly consistent for 30 years. Leopards don't live that long. 'Ya think he had a few drinks? That gets to him, once in a while.

guillensdisciple
01-23-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm struggling to figure out what is so offensive about what he said. We did not show up, he thinks that with Adam Dunn and other signings we will. Which we will. So there ya go.

SOXSINCE'70
01-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Leopards don't change their spots. Jerry's gonna be Jerry regardless what Kenny talks him into.

Sadly, you are correct.

Nellie_Fox
01-23-2011, 11:23 PM
You guys don't even know what bad ownership looks like.

DSpivack
01-24-2011, 12:21 AM

I really don't get the Reinsdorf hatred. Chicago has won 8 titles in my lifetime, 7 of them from teams he's owned.

And while the Bulls sucked for awhile after Jordan retired, it wasn't that long in the scheme of things.

And though the Sox were down for a few years after the strike, they've remained competitive nearly every season since winning the division in 2000.

DumpJerry
01-24-2011, 07:15 AM
With the Sox and the Bulls, Uncle Jerry has shown a willingness to spend money in a responsible manner (i.e., no foolish spending like an 8 year contract for Alphonso Soriano), so I often wonder where these claims of "cheapness" come from. I know it's not because of his membership in a certain ethnic group.

comiskey2000
01-24-2011, 07:46 AM
If ticket prices were just a bit lower, more people would go. Regular price game bleacher ticket, $38 + fees if bought online. Sorry Jerry, I will watch at home.

Stoky44
01-24-2011, 08:46 AM
If ticket prices were just a bit lower, more people would go. Regular price game bleacher ticket, $38 + fees if bought online. Sorry Jerry, I will watch at home.

Sit in the upper tank, much better view of the game then the bleachers (which imo is one of the worst views in the park).

But overall I do agree tickets are priced a bit high.

DonnieDarko
01-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Aren't our ticket prices the 4th or 5th highest in MLB? Makes sense I guess, since our payroll is about in the same area, no? But yeah, no doubt that the higher prices DO suck. All I can afford are upper tank seats right now, but God knows I'd sit on the lower levels if the prices were a bit cheaper.

tebman
01-24-2011, 09:44 AM

I have to agree. Reinsdorf's group has owned the Sox for 30 years, longer than the various Allyn brothers, certainly longer than Veeck, and longer than any of the individual Comiskey family members except the founder, and he's very close to that. In that length of time he's certainly made mistakes but he's also done a lot of remarkable things.

It gnaws at me that he dangled the White Sox over a cliff in 1988 when he threatened to move to Florida unless the state came up with a ballpark. It was a dangerous game of chicken. But I take him at his word when he says that his wish was to remain the Chicago White Sox and that the gamesmanship was the hardball he was advised to play in order to get the public help that would be required to replace the ballpark.

Without saying it publicly, he admitted the architectural mistake in the construction of Comiskey Park II by engineering the U.S. Cellular deal and remodeling the park into its present form. The World Series speaks for itself. Promoting Ken Williams to GM was a gutsy move that has paid off in a big way.

By all accounts he's a straight-up and self-effacing guy who could've made a lot more money doing other things but has chosen to stay with the White Sox and the Bulls. I don't think he's a hero any more than anybody else, but I do think he's been the best steward of the White Sox in my lifetime.

I just hope that whoever (or whatever corporation) assumes the Sox ownership after JR's group is gone doesn't screw it up. It really could be a lot worse.

russ99
01-24-2011, 10:35 AM
I really don't get the Reinsdorf hatred. Chicago has won 8 titles in my lifetime, 7 of them from teams he's owned.

And while the Bulls sucked for awhile after Jordan retired, it wasn't that long in the scheme of things.

And though the Sox were down for a few years after the strike, they've remained competitive nearly every season since winning the division in 2000.

That's it right there in a nutshell.

Pre-2000 Jerry was worthy of such hatred. Since then, the guy's been great.

But those of us around since he bought the team have plenty of reasons to doubt him.

ewokpelts
01-24-2011, 10:43 AM
With the Sox and the Bulls, Uncle Jerry has shown a willingness to spend money in a responsible manner (i.e., no foolish spending like an 8 year contract for Alphonso Soriano), so I often wonder where these claims of "cheapness" come from. I know it's not because of his membership in a certain ethnic group.

I thought it was because he's a member of KISS.

ewokpelts
01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
If ticket prices were just a bit lower, more people would go. Regular price game bleacher ticket, $38 + fees if bought online. Sorry Jerry, I will watch at home.There will be PLENTY of 1/2 off codes as the season starts. you'll be able to sit in the lower deck for under $25 after fees.

hawkjt
01-24-2011, 12:06 PM

But those of us around since he bought the team have plenty of reasons to doubt him.

I have been around since long before Reinsdorf bought the Sox and I think he has been a standup owner.
I think he has made it very clear over the years that he is not looking to make a killing with big annual profits from the Sox.
Once again this year,he made sure the Sox will have a competitive product on the field. I believe the Sox are in the top 3 franchises in victories since 1990....how long does he have to prove it before fans will let go of ancient percieved grudges?

The Immigrant
01-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Once again this year,he made sure the Sox will have a competitive product on the field. I believe the Sox are in the top 3 franchises in victories since 1990....how long does he have to prove it before fans will let go of ancient percieved grudges?

Ours is a very fickle fanbase.

WSox597
01-24-2011, 05:25 PM
As somebody above said, he's delivered 7 championships to a starved city. Not by himself, of course, but no other owners have delivered until last year's Hawks team.

The team seems to be in a good place to contend this year, so we may be talking about another ring. Who knows?

Consider how bad it could be. Look north for example. Look at the debacle that is Bears ownership over the years.

I admit at first I wasn't thrilled with Einhorn and Reinsdorf, back when they first took over. A couple of NY guys coming in, foisting that abortion tv box on us and all that. But you can't argue with success.

One championship for the Sox, and maybe more coming. 6 championships for the Bulls, and maybe another coming soon.

It could be WAY worse.

DumpJerry
01-24-2011, 06:19 PM
As somebody above said, he's delivered 7 championships to a starved city. Not by himself, of course, but no other owners have delivered until last year's Hawks team.
http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/superbowlshuffle.jpg

Brewski
01-24-2011, 07:11 PM
I thought it was because he's a member of KISS.

Is that what they call an MOK?:cool:

SI1020
01-24-2011, 08:17 PM

But those of us around since he bought the team have plenty of reasons to doubt him. Yeah I don't know why we have to go through this over and over. The Reinsdorf ownership group did plenty over a couple of decades to rub some of us the wrong way. Personally I wouldn't go so far as to use the H word, but he sure did make me angry at times. It's all water over the dam now. He'll never be one of my favorite people, but he can be happy and proud of all his accomplishments, and rising from humble origins. Like the song says, he did it his way.