PDA

View Full Version : Kon-air-ko vs Kon-err-ko...which side are YOU on?

SephClone89
01-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Kon-air-ko all the way.

cub killer
01-22-2011, 03:28 PM
It's Konerko. If it was konairko, it'd be spelled konairko.

LITTLE NELL
01-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Kon err ko.

SephClone89
01-22-2011, 03:33 PM

Oh right, I forgot that words are always pronounced as they are spelled.

SOXSINCE'70
01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Kon-err-ko.

soltrain21
01-22-2011, 04:26 PM
I say both, actually.

Mostly say Kon-err-ko, but Kon-air-ko comes out sometimes.

MarySwiss
01-22-2011, 04:35 PM

Well, no. My last name is "Swistara," pronounced "Swiss--TAIR-a" not "Swiss--TAR--a."

chisoxfanatic
01-22-2011, 04:35 PM
I don't think I've ever heard Paulie saying it himself. I wonder how he pronounces his own last name.

FireMariotti
01-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Gene Honda says Konerko, not Konairko. I'll trust his judgement.

tstrike2000
01-22-2011, 04:43 PM
In SephClone, is Seph like pronounced Seff or is it pronounced with a long "e" like Seef?

SephClone89
01-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Pretty sure Hawk says "Konairko".

But then he says "Vi-SIGH-aydo." That drives me nuts.

ShooterMcGavin
01-22-2011, 04:57 PM
The guy has been on the Sox for more than a decade and pronunciation of his name is still in question? It's Kon-er-ko.

Maybe I shouldn't be too surprised this is still being discussed since Hawk still says Konerko incorrectly.

slavko
01-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Err as in error, not as in air. Or to be technical, don't dipthongize the sound (move your mouth as you say it).

doublem23
01-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Actually none of these are correct. The first "o" in Paul's name doesn't make a hard "o" sound, it makes a soft "e" sound. It's a schwa.

KEH-nair-ko

slavko
01-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Actually none of these are correct. The first "o" in Paul's name doesn't make a hard "o" sound, it makes a soft "e" sound. It's a schwa.

KEH-nair-ko

An Americanization which assigns that sound to all unaccented vowels. If that suits you, cool.

sullythered
01-22-2011, 06:52 PM
I normally say it correctly, which is Konerko. That's how he says it, so that's what is right. I do, on occasion, slip and say Konairko, mostly because so many people say it wrong. I am not above influence.

You won't ever hear me say "I could care less," though, no matter how much influence there is. That is downright stupid.

SephClone89
01-22-2011, 07:08 PM
You won't ever hear me say "I could care less," though, no matter how much influence there is. That is downright stupid.

Irregardless. :tongue:

thomas35forever
01-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Seriously? When do pitchers and catchers report?

sodfatherjunior
01-22-2011, 08:35 PM
end this dumb debate now...............it is Paulie!.........or is it Paulee??........worst thread ever!

SephClone89
01-22-2011, 08:44 PM
end this dumb debate now...............it is Paulie!.........or is it Paulee??........worst thread ever!

I've seen far worse. Calm your ass down.

And blame it on MarySwiss. :tongue:

voodoochile
01-22-2011, 09:26 PM
I pronounce err and air the same way. You know like error...:tongue:

So maybe the question should be, "which way do you pronounced err?" :cool:

SephClone89
01-22-2011, 09:34 PM
I pronounce err and air the same way. You know like error...:tongue:

So maybe the question should be, "which way do you pronounced err?" :cool:

Ha.

"err" like in "work" or "surf".

voodoochile
01-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Ha.

"err" like in "work" or "surf".

The funny thing is it actually took me a few seconds to grasp that. My first thought was exactly what I typed. I soon realized what you were getting at, but initially I was convinced you'd gone barmy from all that snow...

LongLiveFisk
01-22-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't think I've ever heard Paulie saying it himself. I wonder how he pronounces his own last name.

Gene Honda says Konerko, not Konairko. I'll trust his judgement.

He does say Kon-err-ko. I heard him once when he was asked about this (can't remember what media person asked him). He said he doesn't know why people say Kon-air-ko.

slavko
01-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Yeah, this is the worst thread yet. That's why this is my second post and I'm ashamed of myself. English is such a great language. The same letter can be pronounced 5? different ways. So much better than other languages where a letter is pronounced the same way every time.:redneck

DumpJerry
01-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Oh right, I forgot that words are always pronounced as they are spelled.

Who died and made you king? The family decides how it's pronounced and Gene Honda pronounces it the way the family tells him. Just ask Alexei Ramirez.

Irregardless. :tongue:
No such word exists. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless)

SephClone89
01-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Who died and made you king? The family decides how it's pronounced and Gene Honda pronounces it the way the family tells him. Just ask Alexei Ramirez.

Okay, my point was that spelling often does not indicate pronunciation, particularly in names. See "Favre".

Hell, my own family is in an eternal debate about how our name is pronounced.

No such word exists. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless)...I'm well aware. It was in response to a comment on the malapropism "I could care less."

Hence my selective bolding and smiley.

DumpJerry
01-22-2011, 10:37 PM
...I'm well aware. It was in response to a comment on the malapropism "I could care less."

Hence my selective bolding and smiley.
Gotcha.:thumbsup:

cub killer
01-23-2011, 12:42 AM
"konairko" took the lead?! What the hell.

Is J-Lo's name Jennifair Lopez? Did John Rooney used to say "What a homair! That's a gonair, and a White Sox winnair!"

Re: "could care less"... it's technically correct. People care enough to say that they could care less, so that means it is possible that they could care less than that. :gulp:

Nellie_Fox
01-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Only on an internet discussion board could people start to get upset that people disagree with them on the pronunciation of a name, and want to argue about it.

SephClone89
01-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Only on an internet discussion board could people start to get upset that people disagree with them on the pronunciation of a name, and want to argue about it.

It's the offseason. :D:

GoGoCrede
01-23-2011, 12:51 AM
My friend who made me a Sox fan pronounces it Kon-air-ko, so that's how I've always said it. Blame her if it's wrong.

SephClone89
01-23-2011, 12:59 AM
My friend who made me a Sox fan pronounces it Kon-air-ko, so that's how I've always said it. Blame her if it's wrong.

I think it's evident now that the civilised pronounce it that way.

voodoochile
01-23-2011, 02:33 AM
"konairko" took the lead?! What the hell.

Is J-Lo's name Jennifair Lopez? Did John Rooney used to say "What a homair! That's a gonair, and a White Sox winnair!"

Re: "could care less"... it's technically correct. People care enough to say that they could care less, so that means it is possible that they could care less than that. :gulp:

Yeah and the next time someone says, "The third baseman has been charged with three 'urrers' after letting that ground ball bounce off his glove and have it go through his legs then tripped on his shoelaces trying to run it down before chucking it in to the stands for a standup 3 base 'urrer' " you'll have a point...

SephClone89
01-23-2011, 02:38 AM

Yeah and the next time someone says, "The third baseman has been charged with three 'urrers' after letting that ground ball bounce off his glove and have it go through his legs then tripped on his shoelaces trying to run it down before chucking it in to the stands for a standup 3 base 'urrer' " you'll have a point...

How "vurry" witty of you, voodoo. I hope you had a "Murry" Christmas.

Lou "Gurrug" was a great player, but it was a whole different "urra."

SoxandtheCityTee
01-26-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't pronouce the first syllable of error as "air" nor "urr." There are plenty more sounds for the letter e in English than those two, such as the short e in in "pen" (which some people pronouce like pan or pin -- oh never mind :D:). And it's not the schwa either, as by definition that's only in unaccented syllables, and the accent in error is on the first syllable.

The middle syllable of Konerko is the one everyone accents, no matter how they say it. It's pronounced however Paulie pronounces it, as the rule on proper names is that there are no rules: everyone gets to say his own name however he likes.

The schwa is not an Americanization of anything; it exists in many languages, including French, of which I have a little, and Hebrew, of which I have none. But's it's very common in English, including (gasp!) the language as it is spoken in England.

As they say in baseball, you can look it up. Fair warning, unless you are a linguistics geek -- and even if you are -- the International Phonetic Alphabet is some tough sledding even by the standards of an off-season WSI thread. :D:

Rohan
01-26-2011, 03:32 PM

I love this thread.

cub killer
01-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Turrible. Just turrible.

konerko 14
01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
I think Kon-air-ko sounds better, but i always say kon-err-ko.

chisox
01-29-2011, 02:32 PM
"errr".

was there ever a "toe-me" vs. "toe-may" poll?

it's discussions like this that make me love WSI (no teal).

Zisk77
01-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Its Konerko, because if it was konairko he'd give us a bonairko and then we'd need penicillan.

But as the poster board said Konerko gives me a bonerko, which is almost as funny as Claudell slept here.

Jurr
01-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Kon-er-ko. I absolutely love the city of Chicago and 90 percent of those I have met there, but that midwest accent is tough to deal with.

Gavin
01-30-2011, 12:28 AM
I can't really tell the difference since syllables don't tend to end in consonants.

Nellie_Fox
01-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Kon-er-ko. I absolutely love the city of Chicago and 90 percent of those I have met there, but that midwest accent is tough to deal with.
Hey, where have you been?

A Chicago accent is different than a midwest accent. And the Pittsburgh accent is no day at the beach, either. Going to be enjoying watching the Stiwwers whenever they play the Packers next weekend? :tongue:

sullythered
01-30-2011, 01:06 AM

Seriously? Somebody from Pennsylvania really shouldn't bag on ANYBODY's accent. Pit is certainly better than Philly, though. Philly has the worst accent on all of planet earth.

tick53
01-30-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm am "air" head...........:smile:

Jurr
01-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Seriously? Somebody from Pennsylvania really shouldn't bag on ANYBODY's accent. Pit is certainly better than Philly, though. Philly has the worst accent on all of planet earth.

Definitely not a native Pittsburgher. I was born a 15 minute drive down the skyway from Comiskey. The Pittsburgh accent is absolutely hilarious.

Hearing someone say, "Yinz goin dahn strip district for a sammich n'at?" is one of the funniest butcherings of our language imaginable.

Nellie_Fox
01-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Definitely not a native Pittsburgher. I was born a 15 minute drive down the skyway from Comiskey. The Pittsburgh accent is absolutely hilarious.

Hearing someone say, "Yinz goin dahn strip district for a sammich n'at?" is one of the funniest butcherings of our language imaginable.LOL; I'd forgotten about "yinz." I'm good friends with a couple from Pittsburgh. He never says "yinz," but she does.

LongLiveFisk
01-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Hey, where have you been?

A Chicago accent is different than a midwest accent. And the Pittsburgh accent is no day at the beach, either. Going to be enjoying watching the Stiwwers whenever they play the Packers next weekend? :tongue:

I thought it was the Stillers.

MisterB
01-31-2011, 04:23 PM
LOL; I'd forgotten about "yinz." I'm good friends with a couple from Pittsburgh. He never says "yinz," but she does.

dEyJjAAPy38

On-topic: I always pronounce it "KNER-ko"

SoxandtheCityTee
01-31-2011, 05:37 PM
On-topic: I always pronounce it "KNER-ko"

Oooh, oooh, not only the schwa, but schwa deletion -- in the first, unstressed syllable. Now schwa deletion IS an American thang. :D: