PDA

View Full Version : The voice of reason

Daver
07-01-2002, 08:00 PM
Don Fehr in one of the best interviews I have ever read by him. (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/fehr070102.html)

ISUSoxfan
07-02-2002, 07:09 AM
Ferh should be serving a life term in a maximum security prison right next to Reinsdork's cell for what they did to baseball in 1994. The World Series survived 2 World Wars, The Great Depression, and a major earthquake, but it couldn't survive Donald Fehr. He took away a possible White Sox World Series 8 years ago, and now he is trying to ruin Major League Baseball for good.

RKMeibalane
07-02-2002, 12:53 PM
Fehr doesn't care about the future of Major League Baseball. For him, there is no such thing as the future. There is only the "eternal now."

FarWestChicago
07-02-2002, 01:01 PM
:tool

Here's two people I fooled into believing I'm not the problem. Muahahaha!!!

Dadawg_77
07-02-2002, 01:10 PM
Why all the damnation of Fehr? He is doing his job, which is to represent the MLBPA. He is a labor law lawyer, who is very good at his job.

The blame 1994 belongs to the owners as much, if not more so, then the players. The strike happened because the owners threaten to lockout the players before spring training 1995. The players were left with only one recourse to protect their rights, which was to strike before the cash cow postseason began. The owners then tried to declare a impasse and setup new labor rules. The NLRB found that the owners did not reach an impasse while negotiating in good faith, thus NLRB sought and got injunction preventing the owners from putting in to place their plan. Implementing labor rules which greatly favored the owners was (and maybe still is) the owner's plan. When NLRB and the court system said the owners plan failed, look how quickly the owners settled on a CBA. In 94 the owners were out to break the union and they ended up being broken while eroding major parts of MLB fan base.

kermittheefrog
07-02-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:tool

Here's two people I fooled into believing I'm not the problem. Muahahaha!!!

Preach it West.

ISUSoxfan
07-02-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Why all the damnation of Fehr? He is doing his job, which is to represent the MLBPA. He is a labor law lawyer, who is very good at his job.
Fehr chose to be a labor law lawyer, just like F. Lee Bailey chose to be a criminal defense lawyer. Both are good at their job, but neither was forced down that dark path. Success for Ferh means continued conditions that allow for ridiculous salaries and even more ridiculous ticket prices. Success for Bailey means more violent criminals roaming the streets. I don't want either one to succeed, and I hate them both for chosing the careers they did and using their talents for evil.

As for the owners trying to break the players union, that was a pretty weak attempt. The only way to beat a union is to replace the union members with non-union members. Some companies are forced to move their production plants to other countries, but all MLB has to do is bring the best Latin American players here, and I'm sure several American born minor leaguers will join them. Baseball will suffer for a while, but ticket prices will drop, and once the big name players realize they are nothing without baseball, they will cross the picket line to dominate, forcing the owners to offer big contracts to other picket crossers to even out the talent. In the end, all that will be lost is the union.

No-Neck
07-02-2002, 04:18 PM
ISUSoxfan,

Great point, a good lawyer does not translate into positive results, most of the time it means one side is getting screwed.

In this case, it's the fans. It's called the adversarial approach to a problem, not a constructive solution.

The owners also bare much blame, since they go out of their way to overbid for mediocre talent.

But a labor lawyer is not going to lead MLB to the promised land, that I know for sure.

Bud Selig and Donald Fehr=Ding and Dong. It's a no-win situation. :angry:

ma-gaga
07-02-2002, 04:39 PM
... :?: gah. What do you say to this? Do you understand that a salary cap/luxury tax only helps one group? The owners?!?

Do you think that prices will go down if a salary cap is in place? Do you really think that 'latino' ball will be good enough for the public? I suppose you think soccer is a real sport too. Replacement players will fail miserably. The salary cap will fail miserably. Some sort of sensible revenue sharing is the only way for this to work out.

Plus i get the feeling that you (ISUSF) believe that Fehr has a personal vendetta "robbing" the Whitesox of their 1994 magical world series season. get over this, think about what a cap will produce. Salaries don't affect prices. Supply and demand does, inflation does, but salaries don't. I didn't want to believe it either, but I've been shown the light. :smile:

As much as I want a post-season this year; I understand that it's probably better for the game if there is a long protracted strike. I want the owners books are revealed. I want them shown for the lying sacks of **** that they are. I want them broken, I want Buds bones' crushed to dust. I want their children DEAD.

ok. maybe not quite that far. But I want them exposed for what they are. Greedy arrogant lying bastards. I want the Senator from California who asked bud, "are you aware that you are under oath?" to go after him with a vengence. I want them stripped down. I want them broken.

must go throw things now...

No-Neck
07-02-2002, 04:44 PM
ma-gaga, you should seek counseling. Man, are you full of hate and violence. :)

voodoochile
07-02-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by No-Neck
ma-gaga, you should seek counseling. Man, are you full of hate and violence. :)

It comes from knowing his Twins will fold like a cheap suit later this year and the Sox will win the division...

:)

The one who concerns me is ISUSF who hates F Lee Bailey because he chose to be a defense lawyer. Hope he never gets accused of a crime he didn't commit, he will be singing a different tune...

No-Neck
07-02-2002, 05:56 PM
FYI
F. Lee Bailey was disbarred from practicing law last year, both at the State (Florida) and US Federal level. That's quite a high honor, even by attorneys' standards. In Illinois, it's almost impossible to get disbarred for anything short of 1st degree murder. At the Federal level it was impossible to be disbarred before Mr. Bailey came along. Creme de-la scum. He got caught in an elaborate kick-back/bribe scheme and pled guilty.

If he was a nobody instead of a big-time attorney, he would be behind bars.

ma-gaga, take it easy. This stuff is not worth wanting to kill someone's children. And your Twinkies, unfortunately, do not show any signs of crumbling down to second place. Hopefully, that'll change. But judging by what I witnessed this year out at Comiskey, you don't have much to worry about. :)

ma-gaga
07-02-2002, 07:01 PM
I'm actually pretty chilled now. I don't know why i went off so badly. It really irks me to see Selig's lies spread. They are completely transparent and ... I'm getting worked up again.... well, it just makes me sad to see them spread.

Some people see stuff writen down and assume it must be right. Fehr is a lawyer, but he's protecting his clients rights, and baseball players have a big history of being abused by owners. Look at any player before free-agency, no rights what-so-ever. The owners have always been about keeping costs down and lining their pockets. Regardless, it's a $3.5 Billion dollar industry. It'll be a sick joke if they can't figure out some way of making it work without striking/locking out.

No-neck, thanks for the concern. :) Peace, love, and rock and roll. :cool:

Voodoo. I hope that the last 9 games scheduled in September are played, and that they decide the division. :D:

:gulp: ahh. Thanks, i needed that.

Dadawg_77
07-02-2002, 07:06 PM
F. Lee also made his fame because of the Boston Strangler defense, which some accuse him of mishandling.

But ISU forgot the basic economics in his post. The baseball system is a free market system, where the cost of acquiring a good is based on supply and demand which determines what the market will pay. The owners what to check that system with caps and salary taxes. Also since supply and demand determine the price of tickets, since the supply is finite, and if more teams were in the playoff race, demand would go up. Thus ticket prices would rise because of the increase demand. Now ticket prices would go down if owners put out scabs and a inferior product, which would drive demand lower.

Jerry_Manuel
07-02-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
It comes from knowing his Twins will fold like a cheap suit later this year and the Sox will win the division...

Don't piss on the Twins VD!

voodoochile
07-02-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Don't piss on the Twins VD!

*****! Oh the humanity...

:pee :notwinks

:kermit
(I just love that tag)

Jerry_Manuel
07-02-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile