PDA

View Full Version : Cubs billboards

bridgeportcopper
01-21-2011, 09:20 PM
I have noticed around town several Cubs billboards with Castro & Derek Jeter on them. Did they sign him? Did I miss something? This franchise used to pride itself on how they had the "best fans in the world" & "the stadium and the product sell themselves". Now they have to dip to advertising the visiting teams? I know some will say I'm "Cubsessed" but this is something I could see the Marlins or Pirates doing but c'mon cubs, really?

soltrain21
01-21-2011, 09:24 PM
I have noticed around town several Cubs billboards with Castro & Derek Jeter on them. Did they sign him? Did I miss something? This franchise used to pride itself on how they had the "best fans in the world" & "the stadium and the product sell themselves". Now they have to dip to advertising the visiting teams? I know some will say I'm "Cubsessed" but this is something I could see the Marlins or Pirates doing but c'mon cubs, really?

I noticed that too and thought it was pretty weird. I thought it was an All Star Game ad at first. Very bizarre.

WhiteSox5187
01-21-2011, 09:46 PM
They're trying to sell tickets to the Cubs-Yankees game and are marketing the fact that it will feature two of the worst defensive shortstops in either league.

RadioheadRocks
01-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Yeah, like the Yankees haven't been coming to Chicago EVERY year for eons now. :rolleyes:

Red Barchetta
01-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah, like the Yankees haven't been coming to Chicago EVERY year for eons now. :rolleyes:

...but that doesn't count because it wasn't on the north side. Sort of like that trophy the SOX won in 2005. :rolleyes:

doublem23
01-21-2011, 10:08 PM
They're trying to sell tickets to the Cubs-Yankees game and are marketing the fact that it will feature two of the worst defensive shortstops in either league.

I think it's also because to get Yankees tickets you have to buy a multi-game package.

Still... Pretty stupid. Should tell you who they're marketing to. Does any real baseball fan really want to see Derek Jeter any more? I mean, I guess as a novelty, but he's not like a Halladay, Pujols, or Carlos Gonzalez... a guy that you just have to see play baseball.

rcescato
01-22-2011, 03:15 AM
I think it's also because to get Yankees tickets you have to buy a multi-game package.

Still... Pretty stupid. Should tell you who they're marketing to. Does any real baseball fan really want to see Derek Jeter any more? I mean, I guess as a novelty, but he's not like a Halladay, Pujols, or Carlos Gonzalez... a guy that you just have to see play baseball.

It should say Godzilla vs megallon lol

DumpJerry
01-22-2011, 09:40 AM
The Cubs are geniuses. They realize that it's not every day you get to see an overrated Gold Glove Shortstop and they are taking advantage of the opportunity.

Seriously, most Cub "fans" know next to nothing about the AL (other than the White Sox seem to be nearby), so the name "Derek Jeter" carries a cache that it doesn't among those who follow the AL or MLB in general. Cubs marketing knows this and is using it to their advantage to shore up sagging ticket sales.

soulfly
01-22-2011, 04:07 PM
I saw one with Pujols on it last week going downtown to the Bears game on 290. Couldn't believe it. I can almost see doing it for the Yankees (even then it's a stretch) but for a division rival? Come on.

Whitesox029
01-23-2011, 09:27 PM
I saw one with Pujols on it last week going downtown to the Bears game on 290. Couldn't believe it. I can almost see doing it for the Yankees (even then it's a stretch) but for a division rival? Come on.
This really sums up the organizational differences between the Sox and Cubs...the day the Sox try to sell tickets by putting Joe Mauer on a billboard will be the day Sammy Sosa gets into the Hall of Fame-- in a Sox cap.

DumpJerry
01-23-2011, 09:30 PM
This really sums up the organizational differences between the Sox and Cubs...the day the Sox try to sell tickets by putting Joe Mauer on a billboard will be the day Sammy Sosa gets into the Hall of Fame-- in a Sox cap.
The Sox have players currently on the team they can sell. The Cubs have Starlin Castro.

spawn
01-23-2011, 09:32 PM
You would think those tickets could sell themselves.

fusillirob1983
01-23-2011, 10:27 PM
I thought the Cubs had the most loyal fans in all of sports? They should have sell outs booked for every game by now.

DumpJerry
01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
I thought the Cubs had the most loyal fans in all of sports? They should have sell outs booked for every game by now.
They have. They put up the billboards because they want us to be jealous and envious of the fact that Derek Jeter is coming to play at their baseball park. Oh, and Prince Albert might come here too. In October.

Chrisaway
01-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Why wouldn't they just put billboards of Mark Grace up? Cubs fans probably don't even know that he left.

DSpivack
01-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Why wouldn't they just put billboards of Mark Grace up? Cubs fans probably don't even know that he left.

Many Cubs "fans" today wouldn't know who he was.

aryzner
01-24-2011, 08:18 AM
The greatest winning team of all time vs the greatest losing team of all time.

Should make for a matchup of epic proportions.

TheOldRoman
01-24-2011, 10:02 AM
They are using the same advertising in TV commericals, too. It is pathetic. Remember back 8 or 9 years to when the Bulls were in their depths of hell. The Bulls had an ad campaign "Come see the best show in town! Kobe Bryant! Shaq! Tim Duncan! Vince Carter! Come to the United Center to see all the stars dunk on and humiliate a 60 loss Bulls team!" They got a lot of crap for it, and rightfully so. I haven't yet heard the media take the Cubs to task for this, though. I wonder why.:thinking:

chisoxfanatic
01-24-2011, 10:49 AM
I thought the Cubs didn't have to do any marketing. I thought Wrigley was a 100% of selling out every game. I thought Cubs fans were so loyal.

doublem23
01-24-2011, 11:36 AM
I thought the Cubs didn't have to do any marketing. I thought Wrigley was a 100% of selling out every game. I thought Cubs fans were so loyal.

They're advertising their multi-game packages right now, single game tickets aren't on sale. I'm sure when they put the individual games on the market, they'll sell out most of the season.

ewokpelts
01-24-2011, 11:37 AM
I have noticed around town several Cubs billboards with Castro & Derek Jeter on them. Did they sign him? Did I miss something? This franchise used to pride itself on how they had the "best fans in the world" & "the stadium and the product sell themselves". Now they have to dip to advertising the visiting teams? I know some will say I'm "Cubsessed" but this is something I could see the Marlins or Pirates doing but c'mon cubs, really?they're trying to sell 13 game packages with "castro vs jeter" as the lure.

ewokpelts
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
They're advertising their multi-game packages right now, single game tickets aren't on sale. I'm sure when they put the individual games on the market, they'll sell out most of the season.not so sure. the 13 game packages arent selling well, aside from scalpers/speculators.

ewokpelts
01-24-2011, 11:40 AM
You would think those tickets could sell themselves.yes. cubs/yankees will sell out in a heartbeat. BUT.....the cubs know they cant sell the diamondbacks series in april without some help. hence the 13 game swindle with yankees tickets as the primary lure.

doublem23
01-24-2011, 11:47 AM
not so sure. the 13 game packages arent selling well, aside from scalpers/speculators.

Right, because they're 13-game packages, that's a lot of money and time up front invested in a team that's been roundly dissapointing the last few years. Once they put the individual game tickets up for sale you'll get all the families looking to make their once or twice a year pilgrimage to Wrigley, you'll get all the young kids in Lakeview scooping up a few games, and you'll get the fans of other teams making their trip to Wrigley to see the park.

Obviously ticket sales are going to lag compared to where they were a few years ago when the economy was awesome and everyone believed it was the Cubs' year, but I have a feeling they'll still end up selling about 95% of their available tickets for the year again in 2011. They're just a machine, they've got some pretty strong non-team performance related safety nets built into their marketing.

ewokpelts
01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Right, because they're 13-game packages, that's a lot of money and time up front invested in a team that's been roundly dissapointing the last few years. Once they put the individual game tickets up for sale you'll get all the families looking to make their once or twice a year pilgrimage to Wrigley, you'll get all the young kids in Lakeview scooping up a few games, and you'll get the fans of other teams making their trip to Wrigley to see the park.

Obviously ticket sales are going to lag compared to where they were a few years ago when the economy was awesome and everyone believed it was the Cubs' year, but I have a feeling they'll still end up selling about 95% of their available tickets for the year again in 2011. They're just a machine, they've got some pretty strong non-team performance related safety nets built into their marketing.not so sure. the weekend games will sell, as will the "big " series, but i dont think they can just bank on 3 million fans. ricketts isnt 100% popular up there right now.

SephClone89
01-24-2011, 12:36 PM
I think their attendance will still be incredibly strong but yeah, not as ironclad as in the past. Weren't there some games last season where they only got ~30k?

Dan H
01-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Cub attendance will be solid as always, but after 102 years fans are actually getting impatient. I don't think sell outs are a given now. They will have to start winning or this Disneyland like bubble is going to finally burst.

doublem23
01-24-2011, 01:20 PM
They will have to start winning or this Disneyland like bubble is going to finally burst.

No it's not.

DumpJerry
01-24-2011, 02:58 PM
not so sure. the weekend games will sell, as will the "big " series, but i dont think they can just bank on 3 million fans. ricketts isnt 100% popular up there right now.
The fans hated the Tribune, felt it was too autocratic. The fans don't go to a ballgame to see or support the owner. They go to have a good time.

cub killer
01-24-2011, 05:50 PM
They will have to start winning or this Disneyland like bubble is going to finally burst.
I'd like to agree with you, but they've been saying that since the 90s. The bubble, unfortunately, is still there.

Dan H
01-25-2011, 03:54 PM
I'd like to agree with you, but they've been saying that since the 90s. The bubble, unfortunately, is still there.

Of course some of this depends on the White Sox. I'm convinced that the Cubs went on and got Garza as a response to what the Sox did this off season.(at least partially.) My point is that if the White Sox return to the World Series, and the Cubs continue their losing ways, their fans will not continue to tie themselves to the lovable loser stuff. Their fan convention was well attended but not sold out. In 2010, the Cubs drew over 3 million but had many no shows. I get the sense that the Ricketts family is not all that popular. The Cubs franchise is not going to collapse but I think they need some real success or the team will suffer. Losing in the playoffs in 2008 was symbolic because it pushed them to the century mark. The team needs to establish real credibility, not just be there. Then again I met a guy in Florida who was seduced by the Wrgileyville mystique and he has never been near Chicago. On the other hand, he's young.