PDA

View Full Version : Baseball America one on one with Bob Dupuy

Daver
07-01-2002, 07:24 PM
PHG,feel free to tear this apart,a pack of lies. (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/dupuy2.html)

MarkEdward
07-01-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by daver
PHG,feel free to tear this apart,a pack of lies. (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/dupuy2.html)

Quote:
BA: Have you been tested, personally?
DUPUY: I have not been tested since I came to work for Major League Baseball.

Of course it's OK to wildly accuse the players of steroid use, but to compromise Dupuy's freedoms? No way!

Why didn't BA ask why Beeston was fired? Oh I know, he was trying to negotiate in good faith and come to a real compromise with Fehr. That's a Selig no-no.

Another Quote from Dupuy:
"We had a significant number of teams that are for sale today that do not have buyers."

Hhhhhmmmm, I believe Donald Watkins showed a lot of interest in (at least) the Twins and Angels. He was even willing to pay for a brand new stadium for the Twinkies. However, since Selig doesn't believe owners should invest money in their team, the sale was a no-go.

Overall, a great interview by Shwarz. I'm going to read Fehr's interview tonight.

Daver
07-01-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

Overall, a great interview by Shwarz. I'm going to read Fehr's interview tonight.

I posted it here http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12570

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2002, 10:28 PM
Butter wouldn't melt in this guy's mouth.

First he claims MLB is being so generous, pledging not to lockout through the end of the season. Then the interviewer calls him on it, noting that the owners can implement their own system without the union after the season ends. The interviewer asks why the MLB pledge wasn't extended beyond the end of the season. Then Dupry responds with a load of hooey about MLB losing so much money.

Priceless.

If they're losing money right now, why make the pledge? And if the pledge is made with sincere motives, why not extend it beyond the end of the season, avoiding a labor impasse Dupry claims the owners seek?

The answer is simple. Either baseball isn't losing the millions Dupry claims, or the pledge isn't sincere. MLB knows the union is being forced into a strike, but he doesn't care. That's precisely his strategy. Make the union take the public relations hit for walking out.

I honestly don't know how people like this can look themselves in the mirror.

I also love the part about the commissioner insisting they need a [labor] deal, and need to deal at the table.

Well, no ****! MLB's whole anti-trust house of cards would come tumbling down if they simply ran over a legally-certified bargaining agent. Not even the biggest neanderthals in the hardline camp honestly believe MLB isn't subject to U.S. labor law!

Well of course they need to deal! The whole legitimacy of the process can't be made without Fehr's signature on the CBA. I'm sure the owners would like nothing more than Fehr be forced to sign it using his own mortal blood just moments before his own dying breath--that's been their true negotiation strategy for the last 33 years. They've been beaten and humiliated every time.

And his spin on the steroids bit... oh, brother....

This is why most Americans think of lawyers as pond scum. There isn't anything he won't say or do to defend his client--no matter how outrageous. It's all legitimate behavior because he's "just doing his job".

Whatever.... you and I will be paying the price.