PDA

View Full Version : Yankees get Mondesi

Jjav829
07-01-2002, 07:01 PM
ESPN just reported that the Yankees have acquired Raul Mondesi. No word yet on who the Blue Jays got in return. Both teams have called press conferences for later tonight. Im so shocked that the Yankees went out and made a trade! How can they ever afford that contract?

WinningUgly!
07-01-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
ESPN just reported that the Yankees have acquired Raul Mondesi. No word yet on who the Blue Jays got in return. Both teams have called press conferences for later tonight. Im so shocked that the Yankees went out and made a trade! How can they ever afford that contract?

Hopefully this means no Vlad or Cliff for NY, but I still wouldn't totally rule it out.

RKMeibalane
07-01-2002, 07:53 PM
You can never be sure when dealing with the Yankees. They may just be doing this in order to position themselves for a bigger deal somewhere down the line. On the other hand, with a strike looming, this may be their version of a "deadline deal."

MattSharp
07-01-2002, 08:00 PM
Mondesi has become an overrated player. As far as I am concerned they can have him. IMO hes just another Rondell White.

If they had got Vlad or Floyd I would be pissed, but I don't really care. I am still rooting for the Red Sox though....

doublem23
07-01-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Mondesi has become an overrated player. As far as I am concerned they can have him.

Robin Ventura has 19 homers in that lineup. Mondesi is probably going to do very well with the Yank-mees.... :angry:

CONTRACT THE YANKEES!

Jerry_Manuel
07-01-2002, 08:13 PM
Looks like cash and a minor leaguer.

George Steinbrenner said he wanted outfield help, and he got it. The Yankees acquired Blue Jays RF Raul Mondesi -- and will pay about half of the $24M he's due over the next two seasons -- for a minor leaguer Monday. Mondesi had recently butted heads with the new Jays skipper.

Jerry_Manuel
07-01-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Robin Ventura has 19 homers in that lineup. Mondesi is probably going to do very well with the Yank-mees.... :angry:

CONTRACT THE YANKEES!

Personally, I think he's having a better year because he's back in the AL.

RedPinStripes
07-01-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Looks like cash and a minor leaguer.

:KW
"We don't need to make any moves. I like the team we have.

"SMACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

WinningUgly!
07-01-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

:KW
"We don't need to make any moves. I like the team we have.

"SMACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:) http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/pieces.jpg :)

TheBigHurt
07-01-2002, 10:57 PM
it the Yankees they can make any trade they want...sucks though

foulkesfan11
07-02-2002, 11:57 AM
As someone stated earlier, Mondesi is over-rated! YANKEES SUCK!!!

Paulwny
07-02-2002, 02:24 PM
It appears that a few yankmee fans on a call in show, wfan 660, aren't too happy over this trade. The fact that Toronto dumped a large contract and only received a AA player is playing right into the hands of all yankmee haters and fans who are demanding a salary cap. No yankmee fan would ever want an even playing field.
Toronto supposedly was shopping Mondesi and King George was the only owner with the extra $$$ in his payroll budget.
It's a perfect opportunity for Bud to again explain the differences between the have and have nots.

Paulwny
07-02-2002, 02:38 PM
From Newsday by Ken Davidoff

The Yankees, who passed on Mondesi last offseason, were the only team to express interest in the rightfielder, Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi said.

Usually, when Steinbrenner has such urges, a former Yankees official said, "We'd talk him out of it. Or we'd sit on [the deal]." Jim Edmonds and Bobby Higginson, among others, avoided pinstripes through such tactics.

But this time Steinbrenner couldn't be talked out of it. And because the Blue Jays didn't require any highly rated prospects, the only risk is the money.

Jerry_Manuel
07-02-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Usually, when Steinbrenner has such urges, a former Yankees official said, "We'd talk him out of it. Or we'd sit on [the deal]." Jim Edmonds and Bobby Higginson, among others, avoided pinstripes through such tactics.

But this time Steinbrenner couldn't be talked out of it. And because the Blue Jays didn't require any highly rated prospects, the only risk is the money.

What the hell is wrong with Jim Edmonds?

To bad the Yankees don't need a SS! I know just the guy.

soxtalker
07-02-2002, 03:33 PM

What the hell is wrong with Jim Edmonds?

To bad the Yankees don't need a SS! I know just the guy.

What about a DH?

Jerry_Manuel
07-02-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
What about a DH?

I don't want Frank kicking our ass in Yankee pinstripes.

doublem23
07-02-2002, 03:47 PM

I don't want Frank kicking our ass in Yankee pinstripes.

Yeah, watch if the Sox trade him and when he finally returns to form; all the Frank haters wil be here complaining how dumb KW is for dealing him...

You can't win when you're not popular.

FarWestChicago
07-02-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Yeah, watch if the Sox trade him and when he finally returns to form; all the Frank haters wil be here complaining how dumb KW is for dealing him...

You can't win when you're not popular. You got that right. They have no shame.