PDA

View Full Version : Andruw Jones signs with Yankees

eriqjaffe
01-20-2011, 03:39 PM
1 year, $2m(!) plus another possible $1.2m in incentives.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41179367/ns/sports-player_news/

Taliesinrk
01-20-2011, 03:40 PM
dang.. that seems awfully reasonable. i wonder if the sox just wanted to go in another direction/felt they needed to save every remaining dollar on pitching?

kittle42
01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Well, that cements a World Series return.

PorkChopExpress
01-20-2011, 03:58 PM
He may be a Yankee, now, but I bet he doesn't have a better birthday than he did last year.

Fenway
01-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Well, that cements a World Series return.

Damn, that does it! Here I thought adding Carl Crawford and Adrian
Gonzalez made Boston division favorites, and then the Yankees go and top
us with that move. Just goes to show -- you can never compete with the
Yankees' vast resources.

Gavin
01-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Andruw Jones hasn't hit above 0.250 since 2006. I liked his stint last year, but his power is eventually going to go soft and his OPS is going to plummet. That being said, he does still know how to take a walk.

GlassSox
01-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Good luck and congrats to Andruw. I hope he does fairly well for one more year.

soltrain21
01-20-2011, 04:57 PM
He may be a Yankee, now, but I bet he doesn't have a better birthday than he did last year.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119551&highlight=jones+birthday

WhiteSox5187
01-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Wow, two million is a lot of money for a fourth outfielder. I thought he did a very good job for us and outside of one game against Detroit showed he could still play good defense, but his hitting (outside of occasional power) leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. But for the Yankees two million dollars is nothing.

SephClone89
01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
It was nice having him here for a year. Seemed to enjoy playing the game.

DirtySox
01-20-2011, 05:47 PM
It was nice having him here for a year. Seemed to enjoy playing the game.

Druw was a bargain and put up 1.8 WAR in limited playing time. Great signing by Kenny last season.

soxfanreggie
01-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Wow, two million is a lot of money for a fourth outfielder. I thought he did a very good job for us and outside of one game against Detroit showed he could still play good defense, but his hitting (outside of occasional power) leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. But for the Yankees two million dollars is nothing.

I would have cringed if the Sox spent that much on someone like Jones. However, the Yankees wipe their noses with $2 million in payroll. Heck, they have nine guys already that are guaranteed to make at least $10 million a year next season - several of those guys at over $20 million a year. That's not including what they plan to do to replace Pettitte ($11.75 million in last year).

Lip Man 1
01-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Kenny was quoted at Sox Fest as saying he wanted Jones to return but was out of the money needed to sign him.

Lip

Foulke You
01-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Kenny was quoted at Sox Fest as saying he wanted Jones to return but was out of the money needed to sign him.

Lip
I think it was better to splurge on the bullpen rather than a 4th outfielder. I think Kenny did the right thing in that regard. However, I'll miss Andruw the most as a late inning defensive replacement for Quentin. I guess Teahen will have to do.

WhiteSox5187
01-24-2011, 03:34 PM
I think it was better to splurge on the bullpen rather than a 4th outfielder. I think Kenny did the right thing in that regard. However, I'll miss Andruw the most as a late inning defensive replacement for Quentin. I guess Teahen will have to do.

I don't think Teahen is much of an upgrade over Quentin.

doublem23
01-24-2011, 03:37 PM

No I would hope for late inning defensive purposes, we have De Aza.

Teahen can rot at the end of the bench for all I care. If he literally does not play in 1 game next year, I'll be happy.

Foulke You
01-25-2011, 01:15 AM
He seemed marginally better than Quentin to me out there in the few games I saw him. Granted, that is not saying much. Somehow, Quentin seems worse in RF than he did in LF back in 2008. Perhaps it is just my imagination.

WhiteSox5187
01-25-2011, 01:22 AM
He seemed marginally better than Quentin to me out there in the few games I saw him. Granted, that is not saying much. Somehow, Quentin seems worse in RF than he did in LF back in 2008. Perhaps it is just my imagination.

Well, it's hard to be much worse than Quentin that is granted, but I remember in Teahen's first game back from the DL he was in RF and there were two balls hit to right where he just stood there and Rios had to come running over from center to catch the ball in actual right.