PDA

View Full Version : Peavy Already Throwing Off A Mound

Sockinchisox
01-19-2011, 06:17 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/01/cooper-peavy-progressing.html

Wasn't expected to throw off a mound until the Spring Training.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Great news. That would be great if he's due back earlier than expected.

Frater Perdurabo
01-19-2011, 09:29 PM
This is outstanding news. If Peavy's ready to go for the start of the regular season, Sale goes to the pen and the roster is pretty much set.

moochpuppy
01-19-2011, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't get too excited. This is a very serious injury and I would rather the Sox take their time with Peavy's return. I still don't expect him back until May.

slavko
01-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Pray.

delben91
01-19-2011, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't get too excited. This is a very serious injury and I would rather the Sox take their time with Peavy's return. I still don't expect him back until May.

I agree, that said, I am glad to see him ahead of schedule rather then seeing reports of him suffering setbacks or being behind schedule.

Bucky F. Dent
01-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Don't rush it, Peavy!

Lip Man 1
01-20-2011, 12:38 AM
This is good news for Jake, the Sox and Chris Sale. It looks to me that Peavy will be ready to go sooner rather than later, which means Sale stays in the bullpen.

Lip

thomas35forever
01-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Hope nothing happens to stunt this. Take it easy, Jake.

Rohan
01-21-2011, 02:29 AM
Don't rush it, Peavy!

This. Come on, buddy. We need you during the season. Not now.

Falstaff
01-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Here is the secret, from a life long white sox fan turning 50 years old:
Extra Strength Ben-Gay, or Oil of Wintergreen, if you have some. No
doubt Jake knows this too. On Ben-Gay, you can do anything, leap tall buildings, 95mph heater, no prob.

DumpJerry
01-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Here is the secret, from a life long white sox fan turning 50 years old:
Extra Strength Ben-Gay, or Oil of Wintergreen, if you have some. No
doubt Jake knows this too. On Ben-Gay, you can do anything, leap tall buildings, 95mph heater, no prob.
Actually, Ben Gay, Tiger Balm, etc. are the worse things an athlete can use injury or no injury. Those products create that "warm" feeling by numbing the nerves on the surface of the skin creating an illusion that there is no injury. This makes the person push him/herself further than normal which can cause further injury because there is no pain.

For someone looking for temporary pain relief, there is no danger unless you try to pick up your car to change the tire.

Corlose 15
01-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Don't rush it, Peavy!

How do you know he's rushing it? I'm sure the Sox training staff is all over this.

chisoxfanatic
01-21-2011, 02:41 PM
+ 1

Until then, the only real weakness would be the 5th starter. This team is so fortunate to have 4 other starters who can give them the opportunity to win on any given night.

eriqjaffe
01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
As long as nobody compares Peavy's injury comeback to Jose Contreras' injury comeback, I'm not too worried.

gobears1987
01-21-2011, 02:48 PM
I doubt Peavy would be allowed to do this by the organization without the approval of numerous doctors and athletic trainers. If Peavy is ready to start in April, then this team is set to roll.

chisoxfanatic
01-21-2011, 02:54 PM
As long as nobody compares Peavy's injury comeback to Jose Contreras' injury comeback, I'm not too worried.
Jose's comeback was an unfortunate freak injury...I didn't think he came back too fast. Let's hope Peavy has full health for the duration of the season when he does return.

Foulke You
01-21-2011, 03:14 PM
This is good news for Jake, the Sox and Chris Sale. It looks to me that Peavy will be ready to go sooner rather than later, which means Sale stays in the bullpen.

Lip
I think Peavy starting and Sale in the bullpen is the best case scenario for the Sox. Sale can slip into the 7th/8th inning lefty role and Thornton can move up to the closer spot.

Noneck
01-21-2011, 03:21 PM
I think Peavy starting and Sale in the bullpen is the best case scenario for the Sox. Sale can slip into the 7th/8th inning lefty role and Thornton can move up to the closer spot.

I would like Sale in AA as a starter. Next year Jackson and Buehrle will be FA's and it would be nice to have someone seasoned and ready to step into a starter role. But maybe I should live for the moment and not worry about the future.

Corlose 15
01-21-2011, 04:15 PM
I would like Sale in AA as a starter. Next year Jackson and Buehrle will be FA's and it would be nice to have someone seasoned and ready to step into a starter role. But maybe I should live for the moment and not worry about the future.

Sale is one of the 12 best pitchers in the Sox organization. He would be absolutely wasted in AA. Pitching out of the bullpen this year doesn't mean he won't be able to start in 2012, especially since he knows it's coming and he's even preparing to start this season.

SOXSINCE'70
01-21-2011, 05:49 PM

I'd be more likely to depend on Jesse Crain in the 7th or 8th.
Just an opinion.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
01-21-2011, 06:37 PM

I don't know why everyone's so enamored with moving Thornton to the closer's role. Before going 8-for-10 in closing games last year, he had never saved above 50% of his opportunities, and he is 17-for-38 lifetime in SV/OPP. It seems like when Thornton has a chance to close the game, he looks awful hittable (see: Jim Thome's extra inning bomb that is still somewhere in orbit...Thornton went into the inning with the lead, and in three pitches, it was game over, Twins win)

Thornton's bread and butter is the 8th inning setup role, a role he is just disgustingly good in, and compiled the great majority of his stats in. I don't see why Sale can't close this year..he has some experience in it (albeit little), but I think it would make more sense than moving Thornton to a role he has not shown he can handle consistently and may actually weaken the bullpen's effectiveness as a whole. The guy's got great stats the last few years...as a setup man. I'd like to keep him as effective as possible.

PalehosePlanet
01-21-2011, 08:20 PM
I don't know why everyone's so enamored with moving Thornton to the closer's role. Before going 8-for-10 in closing games last year, he had never saved above 50% of his opportunities, and he is 17-for-38 lifetime in SV/OPP. It seems like when Thornton has a chance to close the game, he looks awful hittable (see: Jim Thome's extra inning bomb that is still somewhere in orbit...Thornton went into the inning with the lead, and in three pitches, it was game over, Twins win)

Thornton's bread and butter is the 8th inning setup role, a role he is just disgustingly good in, and compiled the great majority of his stats in. I don't see why Sale can't close this year..he has some experience in it (albeit little), but I think it would make more sense than moving Thornton to a role he has not shown he can handle consistently and may actually weaken the bullpen's effectiveness as a whole. The guy's got great stats the last few years...as a setup man. I'd like to keep him as effective as possible.

When you lose the lead in the 7th or 8th inning it also counts as a blown save. He didn't blow 21 9th inning leads as you suggest. All set-up men, no matter how good, will always be at less than 50% in saves/save ops since most of the time their only opportunity is to blow a save (i.e. pitching in the 8th with a 3-2 lead, you can't get a save, but you can get the blown save) and rarely get a chance to notch a save.

He was hurt during the Thome HR, as evidenced by his throwing a 91 mph fastball and then going on the shelf for 3+ weeks immediately thereafter.

That being said, I'm not sold on him closing either and would prefer he stay in the 7th/8th role. Not sure what the plan we''l be.

NLaloosh
01-22-2011, 08:24 AM
If Peavy were ready in April, I think that it would make sense for Sale to be the primary closer with Santos, Thornton and Crain getting some opportunities. Then, next year Sale is moved into the rotation permanently.

Most likely Peavy will not be ready and someone else will need to start some games. But, the Sox decided not to add a starter. Their plan looks like they will start Sale and then eventually move him to the pen if and when they have the 5 healthy starters.

In that case, I think they will start with the closer by committee and see how it plays out. It sure would be nice if Santos could do the job.

Lip Man 1
01-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Kenny on the Peavy / Sale scenario:

"My feeling is he (Sale) will ultimately be in the bullpen because we won’t have that need [to start] for no longer than 30 days if we have it at all”

Lip