PDA

View Full Version : Question for Fenway - Red Sox related

ewokpelts
01-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Any reason why the Red Sox dont have thier own fan convention?

I would think they have more than enough fan goodwill to try it.

downstairs
01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Wow, that's amazing. I thought every team did.

Fenway
01-19-2011, 05:23 PM
That is a huge mystery.

The Harrington ownership had one around 1997 which was a huge success and was designed to be a dress rehersal for the FanFest at the All Star Game in 1999.

The Red Sox could have conventions not only in Boston but in Providence, Manchester,NH, Portland, Maine and Hartford as well and they would be packed. I never understood why they don't bother.

Also they don't have promotions except for Dunkin' Donunts magnetic schedules on Opening Day. Promotions wouldn't cost them anything as sponsors would come waving $$$$.

This is all they do...

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110111&content_id=16419866&vkey=pr_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

downstairs
01-19-2011, 05:27 PM
That is a huge mystery.

The Harrington ownership had one around 1997 which was a huge success and was designed to be a dress rehersal for the FanFest at the All Star Game in 1999.

The Red Sox could have conventions not only in Boston but in Providence, Manchester,NH, Portland, Maine and Hartford as well and they would be packed. I never understood why they don't bother.

Also they don't have promotions except for Dunkin' Donunts magnetic schedules on Opening Day. Promotions wouldn't cost them anything as sponsors would come waving $$$$.

This is all they do...

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110111&content_id=16419866&vkey=pr_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

I'm rather shocked by both points. Who doesn't do promotions? You mean other than the schedules, they don't give away ANYTHING? That seems crazy.

I know they're loaded with cash because of their popularity, but still.

cards press box
01-19-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm rather shocked by both points. Who doesn't do promotions? You mean other than the schedules, they don't give away ANYTHING? That seems crazy.

I know they're loaded with cash because of their popularity, but still.

My guess is that the Red Sox don't have fan conventions or game promotions for the same reason -- they don't have to.

Fenway
01-19-2011, 05:43 PM
My guess is that the Red Sox don't have fan conventions or game promotions for the same reason -- they don't have to.

The Yankees have a ton of promotions.

cards press box
01-19-2011, 06:06 PM
The Yankees have a ton of promotions.

They don't have to, either. But the Yanks choose to do so because they think it is good business.

Fenway
01-19-2011, 06:13 PM
They don't have to, either. But the Yanks choose to do so because they think it is good business.

I can't understand why the Red Sox don't do it....they would make money.

They draw fans to see the stupid truck leave for Florida

BTW this year February 8th

ewokpelts
01-20-2011, 08:34 AM
That is a huge mystery.

This is all they do...

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110111&content_id=16419866&vkey=pr_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bost
they dont even do the coupon/contest cards like the sox/cubs/bulls/bears/hawks do? you would think THAT's super easy money.

Fenway
01-20-2011, 08:44 AM
t
they dont even do the coupon/contest cards like the sox/cubs/bulls/bears/hawks do? you would think THAT's super easy money.
:scratch:

It is like this woman at Macy's in 1947 who is puzzled by Santa sending her to another store.

http://www.ibrander.org/wp-content/uploads/miracle7.jpg

I don't get it.

ewokpelts
01-20-2011, 08:51 AM
One would think the Red Sox would do as much as possible to squeeze out every last dollar available. Especially SPONSORSHIP money, as that ends up benefiting fans.

The fan convention puzzles me, as I heard that the 1999 ASG fanfest had insane numbers of people show up.

Fenway
01-20-2011, 10:04 AM
One would think the Red Sox would do as much as possible to squeeze out every last dollar available. Especially SPONSORSHIP money, as that ends up benefiting fans.

The fan convention puzzles me, as I heard that the 1999 ASG fanfest had insane numbers of people show up.

The convention center was packed for 4 days.

One year they had a 'FanFest' in December when the Winter Meetings were here and again it was packed.

In August of 1994 the Red Sox had a FanFest in August sponsored by Upper Deck and the finale was one of the most memorable nights I have ever had as a baseball fan.

At the concert pavilion in the Seaport District, which is similar to Chicago's Charter One Pavilion, they had a night honoring the game. It was hosted by Bob Costas and it was broken into 9 segements (innings)

Bobby Thomson and Ralph Branca talking about 1951, Ken Burns and Buck O'Neil talking about the Negro Leagues, many former Red Sox greats.

But the 9th inning was a lifetime memory.. Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle just swapping stories. Mantle had 2,000 people laughing hysterically at a story about when he and Billy Martin went hunting outside of Dallas. Ted was recovering from his first stroke and was shaky but Mickey was the picture of health. A year later he was dead.

Here is how that night was presented in the Boston papers. It was just before the strike which was hovering over baseball like a dark cloud that weekend.

https://docs2.google.com/document/d/1qwgbxDtzOt5eR3w4Nia1T_C5iYyp6f1CrvGpcRXEyhQ/edit?hl=en&pli=1#

Fenway
01-20-2011, 12:24 PM
That is a huge mystery.

This is all they do...

My memory scares me at times

Nov 30, 1996

The Red Sox will host WinterFest Saturday (9 a.m.-7 p.m.) and Sunday (9 a.m.-6 p.m.) at the Hynes Convention Center. The event is modeled after the FanFest events, which have become popular attractions at the Major League All-Star Game. It's the first time a large-scale fan event has been planned in conjunction with the Winter Meetings.

Highlights will include autograph sessions, video batting and pitching cages, baseball card trading and memorabilia as well as merchanidise from major- and minor-league teams for purchase. Ballpark-style food will be available. The event will also coincide with the lighting of the Prudential Center Christmas tree Saturday evening.

Tickets, available at the door, are $6 for adults, $4 for children 5-12. Children younger than 5 will be admitted free.