PDA

View Full Version : Galaragga designated for assigment

salty99
01-18-2011, 03:23 PM
by the Tigers and replaced on the roster by Brad Penny.

Should be designated

eriqjaffe
01-18-2011, 03:25 PM
...and the Tigers just signed him to a $2.3 million contract yesterday.

:?:

Marqhead
01-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Huh???

Right now ESPN depth chart has Phil Coke listed as their 5th starter.

DirtySox
01-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Huh???

Right now ESPN depth chart has Phil Coke listed as their 5th starter.

Yar. He's being converted into a starter.

eriqjaffe
01-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Just a bit of official confirmation:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110118/SPORTS0104/101180424/1361/Tigers-designate-Armando-Galarraga-for-assignment-after-signing-Brad-Penny

seventyseven
01-18-2011, 03:29 PM
All Jim Joyce's fault.

Marqhead
01-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Yar. He's being converted into a starter.

Over Galarraga? That's quite surprising to me.

palehozenychicty
01-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Well...the question is do we invite him to ST?

DirtySox
01-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Over Galarraga? That's quite surprising to me.

Not well versed on Coke's stuff, but I too am a bit surprised. Oblong might set us straight.

TheOldRoman
01-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Wow. The Tigers are not a good organization.

JermaineDye05
01-18-2011, 03:49 PM
What's the assignment he's being designed for exactly?

Sorry, Salty, couldn't resist. I do see you acknowledged the error though.

DSpivack
01-18-2011, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't mind him.

Chez
01-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Weird. Are the Tigers on the hook for the 2.3m?

Hitmen77
01-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Why would Detroit cast aside a serviceable starting pitcher like that? Why didn't the Tigers just trade him?

I wouldn't mind him.

How does the DFA process work? If the Tigers release him, then I'd imagine they're still on the hook for that $2.3 million salary they just awarded him.

Since Peavy is a question mark, I wouldn't mind if the Sox were able to land him as insurance.

soltrain21
01-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Why would Detroit cast aside a serviceable starting pitcher like that? Why didn't the Tigers just trade him?

How does the DFA process work? If the Tigers release him, then I'd imagine they're still on the hook for that $2.3 million salary they just awarded him.

Since Peavy is a question mark, I wouldn't mind if the Sox were able to land him as insurance.

He isn't very good. At all, really.

Sargeant79
01-18-2011, 07:24 PM
He isn't very good. At all, really.

He's managed to put together some decent stretches where he has pitched well. I wouldn't give up any talent for him, but if the Tigers just wind up releasing him outright, he wouldn't be a bad guy to pick up as a long man / 5th starter until Peavy is ready to go.

Oblong
01-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Here's the rundown:

The Tigers offered him arbitration back when that process began. Phil Coke was announced as going into the starting rotation at the end of last season, in fact I believe he started the final game. So in theory your 5 starters are Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello, and Galarraga.

Galarraga's really not that good. He's very irritating to watch, he's slow, he nibbles, he also got into a verbal fight with Alex Avila in the dugout. He had his big moment of class after The Game but aside from that he's come across as a bit of a jerk at othe times, thinking he shouldn't go the minors, the bullpend, etc. He's really just big league filler.

Tigers signed Penny and needed room on the 40 man roster. I imagine all along as they went after him that Galarraga would be the odd man out but since they offered him arbitratrion they have to either sign him or go through arbitration. So they signed him. The key is that those contracts are not guaranteed so by signing him to the $2.3 million deal they don't really eat that.

Now they can trade him, which I think they will be able to do. Or perhaps a package deal with another guy.

But they are dead set on Coke being a starter.... so far.

Daver
01-18-2011, 10:20 PM
All MLB contracts are guaranteed contracts, if it was signed by both parties then he is going to get his money, and if it was an arbitration signing then the agreement of the arbitration is also as good as a signed contract.

Oblong
01-19-2011, 08:19 AM
All MLB contracts are guaranteed contracts, if it was signed by both parties then he is going to get his money, and if it was an arbitration signing then the agreement of the arbitration is also as good as a signed contract.

that's not true. According to the CBA arbitration deals are not guaranteed if you cut them in spring training. As for non arbitration contracts for those offered arbitration I could not find a source confirming from the CBA, don't have it handy to look it up right now, but I do know that the Tigers under Dombrowski have never gone to arbitration with a player and a few years ago the Tigers cut Tim Byrdak in spring training and only owed 1/6 of his salary. And multiple media people are also saying that the Tigers are only on hte hook now for 1/6 of his salary, at worst. If they trade him then the other team assumes his deal, with the same provisions.