PDA

View Full Version : Pujols gives Cardinals ultimatum

doublem23
01-16-2011, 01:36 AM
Albert wants a new deal by the start of spring training or he's going to dip his foot in the FA waters next fall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6025055

The Yankees have Texeira. The Red Sox have Adrian Gonzalez. The Phillies have Ryan Howard. Hell, even the Mets have Ike Davis. A lot of the big spenders have long-term solutions at 1B. Really, outside of St. Louis, the best spot for him might be... the Cubs, which would just be mind-blowing.

Boondock Saint
01-16-2011, 02:22 AM
Albert wants a new deal by the start of spring training or he's going to dip his foot in the FA waters next fall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6025055

The Yankees have Texeira. The Red Sox have Adrian Gonzalez. The Phillies have Ryan Howard. Hell, even the Mets have Ike Davis. A lot of the big spenders have long-term solutions at 1B. Really, outside of St. Louis, the best spot for him might be... the Cubs, which would just be mind-blowing.

I wouldn't put it past the Yankees to go hard after Pujols, move A-Rod to SS, Teixeira to 3rd and tell Jeter thanks for the memories.

JermaineDye05
01-16-2011, 02:25 AM
I wouldn't put it past the Yankees to go hard after Pujols, move A-Rod to SS, Teixeira to 3rd and tell Jeter thanks for the memories.

He'd look awfully good with the Angels.

He'd look awfully good anywhere, but I could see the Angels giving him something crazy after striking out horribly this offseason.

doublem23
01-16-2011, 02:33 AM
He'd look awfully good with the Angels.

He'd look awfully good anywhere, but I could see the Angels giving him something crazy after striking out horribly this offseason.

Didn't think of the Angels, they'd be an excellent fit, too, and could certainly find a taker for Kendry Morales who is under arb control until 2014.

The other place he could easily slot in would be Texas now that Justin Smoak is gone, but I still don't buy the fact that they've arrived as one of the big boys in the AL yet. Though, signing Pujols would be a helluva coming out party.

Shoeless_Jeff
01-16-2011, 07:37 PM
If Pujols ends up with Boston or New York, it'll make me ****ing sick. I hope he stays in St. Louis.

ChicagoG19
01-16-2011, 07:44 PM
If Pujols ends up with Boston or New York, it'll make me ****ing sick. I hope he stays in St. Louis.
St. Louis will find the money to keep him. No way he leaves St. Louis.

WhiteSox5187
01-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Don't count out the Nationals to throw some insane amount of money his way.

soxlady8
01-16-2011, 10:19 PM

well said !

palehozenychicty
01-16-2011, 11:07 PM
I think he stays, too. I don't believe in the Angels when it comes to free agents. Unless they're outfielders.

TheOldRoman
01-16-2011, 11:26 PM
The Yankees have Texeira. The Red Sox have Adrian Gonzalez. I don't think either of those clubs would hesitate to pay Pujols $30 million to DH. Aside from that, he is a great athlete who has played 3B and LF before. Someone would be able to find a spot for him.

DumpJerry
01-17-2011, 12:01 AM
I don't think either of those clubs would hesitate to pay Pujols $30 million to DH. Aside from that, he is a great athlete who has played 3B and LF before. Someone would be able to find a spot for him.
Left Field, you say? :thinking:

cub killer
01-17-2011, 12:18 AM
St. Louis will find the money to keep him. No way he leaves St. Louis.
Yeah, they'll do the right thing. Cardinal fans are the last fanbase that deserves to be LeBronned. Well, 2nd to us, that is.

SephClone89
01-17-2011, 01:00 AM
Left Field, you say? :thinking:

You forgot the deep pink.:tongue:

Foulke You
01-17-2011, 02:03 AM
The Cubs will have Aramis Ramirez's $14 million, Fukudome's $11 million, and Carlos Pena's $10 million coming off the books after the '11 season. They are also dealing with apathy starting to set in with their core fanbase. I wouldn't rule them out to go hard after Pujols with a $30 million a year type of offer. Personally, I don't care where he goes as long he stays in the NL. We don't need an AL powerhouse team getting stronger.

cws05champ
01-17-2011, 09:17 AM
The Cubs will have Aramis Ramirez's $14 million, Fukudome's $11 million, and Carlos Pena's $10 million coming off the books after the '11 season. They are also dealing with apathy starting to set in with their core fanbase. I wouldn't rule them out to go hard after Pujols with a $30 million a year type of offer. Personally, I don't care where he goes as long he stays in the NL. We don't need an AL powerhouse team getting stronger.

Agreed, I wouldn't want him in the AL.....but from a pure gag standpoint, I wouldn't want him on the Cubs either. Then we would have to play him 6 times a year as well as hear about him every day. I don't know if the Cards fans could handle it if he skipped town to the Cubs. I still just don't see him leaving the Cards.

russ99
01-17-2011, 10:03 AM

The Cards will pay Pujols what he wants.

No way do they let things get to the point where he could join the Cubs.

soxfanatlanta
01-17-2011, 10:04 AM
I don't know if the Cards fans could handle it if he skipped town to the Cubs. I still just don't see him leaving the Cards.

I know several Cards fans who would fall into a very deep depression if he went to the Cubs. I just can't see him leaving St. Louis, though; he is worshiped there.

g0g0
01-17-2011, 11:03 AM
I can't see him ever leaving St. Louis, but there has been talk of the Cubs leaving 1B open to have a go at him. That being said, if he DID make the switch he'd soon enter the worst slump of his career and retire early at 33.

Foulke You
01-17-2011, 11:45 AM
I know several Cards fans who would fall into a very deep depression if he went to the Cubs. I just can't see him leaving St. Louis, though; he is worshiped there.
Lebron James was worshiped in Cleveland and he left. Ultimately, I think it is going to come down to money and whether Albert believes in management's plan for contending. Albert is going to get LOTS of money from whoever signs him. If the Cards aren't prepared to pony up $30 million a year, I don't think they are going to be able to keep him. Personally, I'd prefer that he stay in STL even though I don't give a hoot about the Cardinals. I'd feel the same way as I did when the Twins kept Joe Mauer. It's better for the game when a smaller market can keep their homegrown superstar rather than watching them put on Yankee pinstripes.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
01-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Lebron James was worshiped in Cleveland and he left. Ultimately, I think it is going to come down to money and whether Albert believes in management's plan for contending. Albert is going to get LOTS of money from whoever signs him. If the Cards aren't prepared to pony up $30 million a year, I don't think they are going to be able to keep him. Personally, I'd prefer that he stay in STL even though I don't give a hoot about the Cardinals. I'd feel the same way as I did when the Twins kept Joe Mauer. It's better for the game when a smaller market can keep their homegrown superstar rather than watching them put on Yankee pinstripes.

But unlike James, Pujols isn't a quitter and a coward.

I think his main concern is job security...the guy's probably already got enough money to live off of for three lifetimes, and he just doesn't want the "will they sign me or won't they" question hanging over his head throughout the season.

I'd love to see him stay with the Cards...well, aside from him somehow joining the White Sox. But the Cards know that he is a once-in-a-generation player that they know they'll have to break the bank for. He's worth it, since the money the guy brings the Cards in ticket sales and merchandise sales probably dwarfs what he makes off of them.

DSpivack
01-17-2011, 02:12 PM
But unlike James, Pujols isn't a quitter and a coward.

I think his main concern is job security...the guy's probably already got enough money to live off of for three lifetimes, and he just doesn't want the "will they sign me or won't they" question hanging over his head throughout the season.

I'd love to see him stay with the Cards...well, aside from him somehow joining the White Sox. But the Cards know that he is a once-in-a-generation player that they know they'll have to break the bank for. He's worth it, since the money the guy brings the Cards in ticket sales and merchandise sales probably dwarfs what he makes off of them.

MLB is a different animal. In terms of contract value, different NBA teams weren't bidding against one another, as there is a hard cap on salary in the NBA. MLB has no such limit, a bidding war could ensue...

SephClone89
01-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Speaking of the Cards, my apartment this semester gets Fox Sports Midwest in addition to CSNC. This means that I'll be able to see the majority of games for three different major league clubs, PLUS the free month of mlb.tv that (watchable through my PS3!) I'll be getting for preordering MLB 11: The Show.

These two factors will probably outweigh the fact that I'll be without MLBN for the first month of the season. :D: