PDA

View Full Version : Cubs - White Sox TV revenue on Comcast the same - $450,000 a game

Fenway
01-15-2011, 04:48 PM
The Cubs say they are moving more games OFF WGN-TV as they can make more money from Comcast.

They also announced the Chad and Trixie will have free wi-fi at Wrigley in 2011.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/3037/cubs-seek-new-forms-of-revenue

Fenway
01-15-2011, 06:07 PM
I wonder how much Tribune pays for the WGN-WCIU games to each club?

Also will the White Sox shift more games to Comcast?

For Sox/Cubs games on WCIU, the Tribune leases the time from Weigel Broadcasting and then keeps the advertising ( but pays all production expenses) I have to assume the lease is the same for both clubs.

I have to assume that when the Cubs contract with CSN ends they will try to start their own channel and the White Sox may do the same and knock Comcast out the equation.

Logic would say Cubs would team with the Blackhawks and the Sox with the Bulls ( because of JR's ownership)

Still the fact that the White Sox are getting the same TV fee as the Cubs is a watershed moment in Chicago sports history.

Brian26
01-15-2011, 07:43 PM
I have to assume that when the Cubs contract with CSN ends they will try to start their own channel and the White Sox may do the same and knock Comcast out the equation.

Do the Cubs have a contract per se? I thought they shared 1/5 ownership with the Sox, Bulls, Hawks and Comcast. I assume if they ever wanted out, they would sell their share to JR, Wirtz and Comcast.

Fenway
01-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Do the Cubs have a contract per se? I thought they shared 1/5 ownership with the Sox, Bulls, Hawks and Comcast. I assume if they ever wanted out, they would sell their share to JR, Wirtz and Comcast.

My understanding is both the Cubs and Sox committed to 10 years with Comcast - as Comcast did not want to see a repeat of Fox Sports Chicago just being destroyed by teams leaving.

CSN laumched in October of 2004 so I would guess nothing will happen until 2015.

Hitmen77
01-15-2011, 09:24 PM
The Cubs say they are moving more games OFF WGN-TV as they can make more money from Comcast.

They also announced the Chad and Trixie will have free wi-fi at Wrigley in 2011.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/3037/cubs-seek-new-forms-of-revenue

What a huge turnaround from the Cubs' WGN heydays in the 1980s when being on WGN punched their ticket to a national fanbase.

I wonder if the Sox are planning to cut their already low WGN total. Of course, with the Cubs moving more games to Comcast, that might mean that fewer of the WGN games will have to be farmed out to WCIU.

ewokpelts
01-17-2011, 08:16 AM
I wonder how much Tribune pays for the WGN-WCIU games to each club?

Also will the White Sox shift more games to Comcast?

For Sox/Cubs games on WCIU, the Tribune leases the time from Weigel Broadcasting and then keeps the advertising ( but pays all production expenses) I have to assume the lease is the same for both clubs.

Logic would say Cubs would team with the Blackhawks and the Sox with the Bulls ( because of JR's ownership)

Still the fact that the White Sox are getting the same TV fee as the Cubs is a watershed moment in Chicago sports history.cubstv wont happen for another 15 years. as all four teams are locked in together.

and dont forget, rocky and jerry are buddies. and partners in the UC. i doubt that the hawks will break off to join the cubs in a tv venture.

hell, the hawks had HOME games on sportsvision.

ewokpelts
01-17-2011, 08:18 AM
My understanding is both the Cubs and Sox committed to 10 years with Comcast - as Comcast did not want to see a repeat of Fox Sports Chicago just being destroyed by teams leaving.

CSN laumched in October of 2004 so I would guess nothing will happen until 2015.
crains had an article about this last year. it stated that nothing can happen for at least 15 years.

ewokpelts
01-17-2011, 08:20 AM
on a plus note, the free wi-fi will be great to watch an actual mlb game while at wrigley via mlb.tv on my ipod touch

cws05champ
01-17-2011, 08:49 AM
I think the more interesting thing about this article is it begins to unveil the revenue the White Sox bring in on a yearly basis. These are just estimates and I am probably missing some things in here but it's interesting:

Assuming the Sox play 32 WGN games as they did in the regular season last year, 18 WCIU and 112 CSN games I have estimates the total revenue:

32 WGN games (@ ~$350K): $11,200,000
18 WCIU games (@$200K): $ 3,600,000
112 CSN games (@ $450K): $50,400,000
----------------
$64,800,000

Sox Average ticket price was $38.65 and average attendance was 27,091 giving you and estimated: $1,047,067 per game or $84,812,435 for the 81 games at home.

That's a total of $149, 612,435 revenue just from TV and attendance. This does not include concessions, parking, merchandise, advertising, spring training revenue and revenue form their Silver chalice digital media firm among other things.

And of course it does not take into account expenses such as their lease, operating costs for the stadium and staff etc. But you could confidently say they bring in well over $200M in revenue.

Fenway
01-17-2011, 09:30 AM
I think the more interesting thing about this article is it begins to unveil the revenue the White Sox bring in on a yearly basis. These are just estimates and I am probably missing some things in here but it's interesting:

Assuming the Sox play 32 WGN games as they did in the regular season last year, 18 WCIU and 112 CSN games I have estimates the total revenue:

32 WGN games (@ ~$350K): $11,200,000
18 WCIU games (@$200K): $ 3,600,000
112 CSN games (@ $450K): $50,400,000
----------------
$64,800,000

Sox Average ticket price was $38.65 and average attendance was 27,091 giving you and estimated: $1,047,067 per game or $84,812,435 for the 81 games at home.

That's a total of $149, 612,435 revenue just from TV and attendance. This does not include concessions, parking, merchandise, advertising, spring training revenue and revenue form their Silver chalice digital media firm among other things.

And of course it does not take into account expenses such as their lease, operating costs for the stadium and staff etc. But you could confidently say they bring in well over $200M in revenue.

You also didn't include the revenue from MLB that is split equally ( national TV etc )

I see in the trades Comcast is playing hardball in other markets with Dish and DirecTV. Comcast would love nothing more than to see the satellite companies balk at what they want and force people to use a wire to their TV.

They have NEVER allowed Comcast-Philadelphia to be picked up by the satellite companies but they do allow other cable companies like Verizon and RCN the signal. This is a major expense for bars in Philly that need DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket but also have to get cable for the home teams. This has NOTHING to do with the local teams per say, it is all about Comcast (and other cable companies) not being offered Sunday Ticket. Comcast knows that most bars would switch in a heartbeat to cable if the NFL was offered as DirecTV just kills commercial accounts with HD fees that residental customers don't see.

In the Boston market they have little leverage as they only have the Celtics, but in Chicago they could go for broke. They are already pulling this stunt with CSN-Bay Area and Giants games could vanish from the satellite in April.

Back in 2005 CSN allowed the satellite companies access as FSN Chicago did so but they are gone now - if the teams are getting their rights fees per game they just may shrug and say it is a dispute they have no control over.

g0g0
01-17-2011, 10:02 AM
So this means more blackouts for me here in central IN? Greeeeeaaaaat.

cards press box
01-18-2011, 12:31 AM
What a huge turnaround from the Cubs' WGN heydays in the 1980s when being on WGN punched their ticket to a national fanbase.

This is an excellent point. The Cubs' perpetual "ace in the hole" in terms of attendance was the number of Cub fans that day baseball on WGN created not only in Chicago but throughout the country, particularly in the midwest. As the Cubs become like other clubs (i.e., playing games at night on cable outlets), the more they will have to contend with the problem that every other club faces -- if the team doesn't play well, fans do not show up. That started to happen last year and, who knows, the trend might continue. I, for one, cannot remember the last time that the Cubs aggressively marketed a partial season package but they are doing so now.

Kogs35
01-18-2011, 01:35 PM
You also didn't include the revenue from MLB that is split equally ( national TV etc )

I see in the trades Comcast is playing hardball in other markets with Dish and DirecTV. Comcast would love nothing more than to see the satellite companies balk at what they want and force people to use a wire to their TV.

They have NEVER allowed Comcast-Philadelphia to be picked up by the satellite companies but they do allow other cable companies like Verizon and RCN the signal. This is a major expense for bars in Philly that need DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket but also have to get cable for the home teams. This has NOTHING to do with the local teams per say, it is all about Comcast (and other cable companies) not being offered Sunday Ticket. Comcast knows that most bars would switch in a heartbeat to cable if the NFL was offered as DirecTV just kills commercial accounts with HD fees that residental customers don't see.

In the Boston market they have little leverage as they only have the Celtics, but in Chicago they could go for broke. They are already pulling this stunt with CSN-Bay Area and Giants games could vanish from the satellite in April.

Back in 2005 CSN allowed the satellite companies access as FSN Chicago did so but they are gone now - if the teams are getting their rights fees per game they just may shrug and say it is a dispute they have no control over.

IIRC CSNchicago has in its contract that it cant play hardball with directv/dish. that was a major concern in 2004 when it launched

Fenway
01-18-2011, 01:47 PM
IIRC CSNchicago has in its contract that it cant play hardball with directv/dish. that was a major concern in 2004 when it launched

I am no lawyer but if Comcast says - well we want the same as you pay say YES in NY and DirecTV says no, I would think Comcast can say "Hey we offered it to them...."

The Chicago execs have NO SAY in this - this all comes from the Comcast Tower in Philadelphia. They need cash for the NBC deal.

downstairs
01-18-2011, 04:28 PM

What or who is "Chad and Trixie" exactly?

Fenway
01-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Ask anyone in Lincoln Park

doublem23
01-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Its a derogatory term for yuppies. Fenway seems to think they only live in Lincoln Park and NOWHERE ELSE IN AMERICA.

:rolleyes:

Hitmen77
01-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Its a derogatory term for yuppies. Fenway seems to think they only live in Lincoln Park and NOWHERE ELSE IN AMERICA.

It's not like Fenway made up the link between these terms and Lincoln Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trixie_%28slang%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_%28slang%29

Fenway
01-18-2011, 07:33 PM
It's not like Fenway made up the link between these terms and Lincoln Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trixie_%28slang%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_%28slang%29

Never heard the term ever until Chicago....

DSpivack
01-19-2011, 12:07 AM

What makes you offended? It means from Lincoln Park, not Lincoln Square. :tongue: