PDA

View Full Version : Manny says 5 teams are interested in him...

Fenway
01-14-2011, 04:32 PM
White Sox not on the list :tongue:

Los Angeles Angels, Minnesota Twins, Texas Rangers, Tampa Bay Rays and Toronto Blue Jays are the interested parties if one can believe Boras.

I think the Twins are now out with resigning Thome

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6021568&campaign=rss&source=BOSTONHeadlines&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Gavin
01-14-2011, 04:39 PM
White Sox not on the list :tongue:

Los Angeles Angels, Minnesota Twins, Texas Rangers, Tampa Bay Rays and Toronto Blue Jays are the interested parties if one can believe Boras.

I think the Twins are now out with resigning Thome

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6021568&campaign=rss&source=BOSTONHeadlines&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I'd love to see Manny in Toronto.

Nellie_Fox
01-14-2011, 05:05 PM
I'd love to see Manny in Toronto.I'd love to see Manny out of baseball.

sox102
01-14-2011, 05:32 PM
i'd love to see manny out of baseball.

+1

WSox597
01-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Well then, Manny, pick one of them and go away quickly and quietly.

Biggest waste of millions of dollars I've seen in quite some time. Whatever he's done in the past, stick a fork in him now. He's about done.

I notice he didn't mention any NL teams. That whole pesky glove thing, I guess.

Bobby Thigpen
01-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Why would anyone want a Designated Hitter that can't hit anymore?

I think he takes the place of Jose Paniagua on the top of the list of my least liked/least productive Sox players ever.

DirtySox
01-14-2011, 08:27 PM
I must have missed where Manny can't hit anymore. Despite the fact he was injured most of the 2010 season as well as with the White Sox (he had surgery once the season concluded), he still manged to put up a season line of .298/.409/.460

It's fine to not like Manny and there are a wealth of reasons to feel that way. But there is little evidence to suggest he's going to fall of a cliff this year. A age related slight decline is much more probable.

Dibbs
01-14-2011, 08:37 PM
I must have missed where Manny can't hit anymore. Despite the fact he was injured most of the 2010 season as well as with the White Sox (he had surgery once the season concluded), he still manged to put up a season line of .298/.409/.460

It's fine to not like Manny and there are a wealth of reasons to feel that way. But there is little evidence to suggest he's going to fall of a cliff this year. A age related slight decline is much more probable.

It's hard for me to even type this because I was a leader in the crusade against Mark Kotsay, but I do believe he was more dangerous with a bat than Manny was. Come to think of it, I was more dangerous at the plate than Manny was with the Sox.

WhiteSox5187
01-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Manny can't catch up to a fastball anymore, he is done.

DirtySox
01-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Manny can't catch up to a fastball anymore, he is done.

Oh?

Putting up an .870 OPS and a .382 wOBA while injured and not being able to catch up to a fastball anymore must be an impressive feat then.

Shoeless_Jeff
01-14-2011, 09:57 PM
As long as Manny is not in a White Sox uniform, I don't care where he goes. If he retires, good riddins.

WhiteSox5187
01-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Oh?

Putting up an .870 OPS and a .382 wOBA while injured and not being able to catch up to a fastball anymore must be an impressive feat then.

More proof that there are lies, damned lies and statistics. His bat speed is just gone, all you had to do was watch him with the Sox to see that. A scout even said all he can catch up to is a bad slider.

dwitt76
01-14-2011, 10:50 PM
There is no way that many teams are interested in Manny. He is feeding this only to drive up a price or even an offer.

Foulke You
01-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Oh?

I don't know about his Dodgers time but he certainly seemed late on the fastball quite a bit in a Sox uniform. The only way he was getting hits was when he waited back a bit longer and dunked it into RF for a base hit. Whenever he tried to pull it for power, he was late. Manny slugged only .319 in 24 games with the Sox. I know it is a small sample size but that is Omar Vizquel territory for SLG%. I guess we'll find out during the 2011 season whether this was injury related or age/no PEDs. I wouldn't be shocked if he rebounded but it also wouldn't surprise me to see Manny out of baseball by the conlusion of this coming season. He is 38 years old after all. For the record, I thought signing Manny was a good move at the time. We needed more production out of the DH spot and Manny can certainly carry a club when he is hot. It was a gamble that didn't pay off but I'll never fault a GM for going for it when they have a chance.

DSpivack
01-15-2011, 04:29 AM
I'd love to see Manny in Toronto.

I'd love to see Manny out of baseball.

I'd love to see Manny at Manny's! Latkes, matzo ball soup, pastrami, corned beef... you can't go wrong!

Red Barchetta
01-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Good for Manny. As long as one of those 5 teams is not the White Sox.

I never warmed up to him. In fact, I never liked having any ex-Indians from the late 90s era team on the White Sox. Thome was the only one I partially warmed up to.

I can't help it, but I really disliked that team and their obnoxious fans when they came to Comiskey II and basically invaded it. That was the time they were continually selling out Jacob's Field and the SOX were stuck in the pre-US Cellular Renovation blues.

gogosox675
01-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Good for Manny. As long as one of those 5 teams is not the White Sox.

I never warmed up to him. In fact, I never liked having any ex-Indians from the late 90s era team on the White Sox. Thome was the only one I partially warmed up to.

I can't help it, but I really disliked that team and their obnoxious fans when they came to Comiskey II and basically invaded it. That was the time they were continually selling out Jacob's Field and the SOX were stuck in the pre-US Cellular Renovation blues.

You don't like Omar Vizquel?

Red Barchetta
01-15-2011, 02:38 PM
You don't like Omar Vizquel?

OK, make that 2 players. :D:

We've basically had the entire team...Vizquel, Roberto Alomar, Sandy Alomor, Jim Thome, Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez, etc.....

slavko
01-15-2011, 03:28 PM

I saw him out of baseball for a month last year.

SOXSINCE'70
01-15-2011, 04:15 PM
I'd love to see Manny at Manny's! Latkes, matzo ball soup, pastrami, corned beef... you can't go wrong!

As a Jewish male, I can tell you no Jewish mother would let her son wear dreadlocks. :D:

TDog
01-15-2011, 04:25 PM

In September, I was thinking that Manny Ramirez was already out of baseball but didn't bother to tell the White Sox.

RadioheadRocks
01-15-2011, 04:47 PM
in september, i was thinking that manny ramirez was already out of baseball but didn't bother to tell the white sox.

+1

StillMissOzzie
01-15-2011, 05:04 PM
First off, this smacks of Bora$ and his usual tactics of drumming up phantom suitors to get the one really interested team to bid against themself. Second, I was surprised to see the Twinkies included among that group even before they re-signed Thome. And third, I have to think Manny's demands are going to have to get WAY lower before any team expresses anything more than casual interest.

In closing, I wish any or all of the teams noted would step up to a microphone and say, "Manny? No, not us. No interest at all here."

SMO
:gulp:

DSpivack
01-15-2011, 05:31 PM
As a Jewish male, I can tell you no Jewish mother would let her son wear dreadlocks. :D:

I didn't say Manny had to be MOT. :tongue:

Bobby Thigpen
01-15-2011, 07:34 PM

He fell of a cliff the entire time he was in a Sox uniform. Did you watch him play? He was terrible.

Not many people bounce back from that kind of stuff without their "Flintstones" at the age of 38.

Nellie_Fox
01-16-2011, 01:41 AM
I'd love to see Manny at Manny's! Latkes, matzo ball soup, pastrami, corned beef... you can't go wrong!Oh, I love Manny's deli. It was right around the corner from the uniform shop I used to go to when I was a cop, and I'd go get something to eat while my uniforms were being altered.

gobears1987
01-16-2011, 06:40 AM
I think he takes the place of Jose Paniagua on the top of the list of my least liked/least productive Sox players ever.

Amen to that. I never rooted for a Sox player to fail until Manny got here. The ****er should be banned from baseball like the rest of the roiders. **** you Manny Ramirez. I hope you join McGuire and Raffy in having to pay $20 at the door to get into Cooperstown.

gobears1987
01-16-2011, 06:47 AM

My roommate is a Jewish male with dreadlocks. It's shockingly common in Israel. Hadag Nachash can be given the credit for making it so popular.

DSpivack
01-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Oh, I love Manny's deli. It was right around the corner from the uniform shop I used to go to when I was a cop, and I'd go get something to eat while my uniforms were being altered.

'Tis is a great place. Sadly, there aren't too many good delis in Chicago anymore.

Brewski
01-16-2011, 10:35 AM

How about earlocks? Like dreadlocks but less of them.:redneck

Wait a minute, doesn't Lenny Kravitz wear dread's? But Roxie isn't Jewish, OK.

Brian26
01-16-2011, 11:04 AM

We've basically had the entire team...Vizquel, Roberto Alomar, Sandy Alomor, Jim Thome, Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez, etc.....

Kenny Lofton. We could almost field a team of ex-Indians and put Bartolo Colon on the mound to start.

Brian26
01-16-2011, 11:06 AM
He fell of a cliff the entire time he was in a Sox uniform. Did you watch him play? He was terrible.

Phil Rogers had a good line in the paper this morning....basically something to the effect, "If Manny says five teams are interested in him, that means 25 teams were scouting the Sox last September."

DumpJerry
01-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Phil Rogers had a good line in the paper this morning....basically something to the effect, "If Manny says five teams are interested in him, that means 25 teams were scouting the Sox last September."
Which further proves that Rogers has no clue. There are 30, not 31 teams in MLB.

bridgeportcopper
01-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Oh, I love Manny's deli. It was right around the corner from the uniform shop I used to go to when I was a cop, and I'd go get something to eat while my uniforms were being altered.

what years were you a cop? where did you work?

RKMeibalane
01-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Amen to that. I never rooted for a Sox player to fail until Manny got here. The ****er should be banned from baseball like the rest of the roiders. **** you Manny Ramirez. I hope you join McGuire and Raffy in having to pay $20 at the door to get into Cooperstown.

Who is this "McGuire" you speak of?

A. Cavatica
01-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Clearly, Boras is hoping to start a bidding war between Tigres del Licey and Estrellas Orientales.

Nellie_Fox
01-18-2011, 12:52 AM
what years were you a cop? where did you work?1973-1998, in Naperville. Juuuuuust a little quieter than what you're used to. I gather that Kale's is no longer on Roosevelt around the corner from Manny's.

DumpJerry
01-18-2011, 08:07 AM
1973-1998, in Naperville. Juuuuuust a little quieter than what you're used to. I gather that Kale's is no longer on Roosevelt around the corner from Manny's.
It's still there.

Nellie_Fox
01-18-2011, 12:00 PM
It's still there.Huh. I ran a Google search on Kale Uniforms and it put up a map with three locations, none of them on Roosevelt Road.

DumpJerry
01-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Huh. I ran a Google search on Kale Uniforms and it put up a map with three locations, none of them on Roosevelt Road.
I thought I saw it a couple of months ago when I drove by there.

Chez
01-18-2011, 01:13 PM

The list goes on -- Herbert Perry, Alan Embree, David Riske . . .