PDA

View Full Version : ESPN releases early Sunday Night Baseball schedule

Fenway
01-12-2011, 09:35 PM
The usual suspects

April 3
San Francisco at Los Angeles Dodgers (ESPN2)
April 10
N.Y. Yankees at Boston
April 17
Texas at N.Y. Yankees
April 24
Cincinnati at St. Louis
May 1
N.Y. Mets at Philadelphia
May 8
Atlanta at Philadelphia
May 15
Boston at N.Y. Yankees
May 22
Chicago Cubs at Boston
May 29
Cincinnati at Atlanta (ESPN2)
June 5-July 3
TBD
July 10
N.Y. Mets at San Francisco
July 17
Boston at Tampa Bay

Oblong
01-12-2011, 09:40 PM
So glad I have MLB Network now..... ESPN is pretty much dead to me, especially when it comes to baseball. And with no Miller on Sunday Night then there's even more reason not to watch it.

LITTLE NELL
01-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Gee, only 4 Red Sox games.

Hitmen77
01-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Didn't there used to be a clause in the TV contract that said that any given team was limited to 3 Sunday night games per year?

****, look at that list. It's almost all NY, Boston, Cubs, LA. It's really just the same 6 teams over and over and over again.

Soxman24
01-12-2011, 10:01 PM
So glad I have MLB Network now..... ESPN is pretty much dead to me, especially when it comes to baseball. And with no Miller on Sunday Night then there's even more reason not to watch it.

I couldn't agree more. I love MLB Network and I refuse to watch anything on ESPN unless I absolutely have to.

delben91
01-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Didn't there used to be a clause in the TV contract that said that any given team was limited to 3 Sunday night games per year?

****, look at that list. It's almost all NY, Boston, Cubs, LA. It's really just the same 6 teams over and over and over again.

In fact of that list there's only one game that features both teams that aren't from either coast. Cin @ StL

VenturaFan23
01-12-2011, 10:27 PM
so glad i have mlb network now..... Espn is pretty much dead to me, especially when it comes to baseball. And with no miller on sunday night then there's even more reason not to watch it.

i couldn't agree more. I love mlb network and i refuse to watch anything on espn unless i absolutely have to.

+2

DSpivack
01-12-2011, 10:33 PM

I'm a big Jon Miller fan. Who is doing these new broadcasts that I won't tune in to?

DumpJerry
01-12-2011, 11:08 PM

Unless the Cubs operate under an alias, I saw them mentioned only once in the schedule.

Hitmen77
01-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Unless the Cubs operate under an alias, I saw them mentioned only once in the schedule.

Well, they weren't the only team I mentioned in my post.

Okay, remove mention of the Cubs and my point still stands - it's the same few teams over and over again.

TommyJohn
01-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Well, they weren't the only team I mentioned in my post.

Okay, remove mention of the Cubs and my point still stands - it's the same few teams over and over again.

Admit it-you're cubsessed.

Hitmen77
01-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Admit it-you're cubsessed.

It's true! It's true! I can't stop thinking about them. :whiner:

Like others have said, I'm glad MLB Network is around now. ESPN is terrible.

doublem23
01-13-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm a big Jon Miller fan. Who is doing these new broadcasts that I won't tune in to?

Losing Miller sucks, but they finally fired that moron Joe Morgan, so that's gotta count for something, right?

gogosox675
01-13-2011, 12:09 PM

They've pegged Dan Shulman, Orel Hersheiser, and Bobby Valentine to be the new announcing team. I'm a big fan of Shulman and Hersheiser is good. They shouldn't have put Valentine in the booth, IMO. Three people in the booth is too many.

Fenway
01-13-2011, 12:23 PM

When SNB first started the concept was one game in EVERY park each season.

mrfourni
01-13-2011, 12:29 PM
The only division not represented is the AL Central

Gavin
01-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Baseball on ESPN sucks. Longer commercial breaks. Meaningless interviews with the coaches.

It's on ESPN...

etc

doublem23
01-13-2011, 03:35 PM
The only division not represented is the AL Central

Well, in their defense, the AL Central has only managed a combined 1 playoff win in the past three seasons, so its not really compelling baseball for anyone without a rooting interest in one of the teams.

mrfourni
01-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Well, in their defense, the AL Central has only managed a combined 1 playoff win in the past three seasons, so its not really compelling baseball for anyone without a rooting interest in one of the teams.

As opposed to the NL Central and therir combined 1 playoff win in the past 4 seasons?

Hitmen77
01-13-2011, 06:15 PM
When SNB first started the concept was one game in EVERY park each season.

Interesting they started out with such a inclusive approach. I don't expect ESPN show as many Royals and Pirates games as Yankees and Red Sox, but it's gotten pretty bad now where they show to many games that only involve a handful of teams.

But the White Sox and Tigers have put together a couple of potentially exciting teams for 2011. It's not like all AL Central teams are mediocre. Some of the talking heads at MLB Network even consider the Tigers one of the top 5 teams in MLB going into 2011 as the rosters look today.

ESPN basically treats MLB as if it were a 6 team league: NYY, Bos, NYM, ChC, LAD, Phillies. SF makes the cut this year as being relevant thanks to being WS Champs.

Bob Roarman
01-13-2011, 10:03 PM
As opposed to the NL Central and therir combined 1 playoff win in the past 4 seasons?

Cardinals and Cubs alone beat out Twins, Tigers, Sox, Royals and Indians combined as far as national appeal and ratings are concerned, which is really the whole point of Sunday Night Baseball. Just the way it is.

Oblong
01-13-2011, 10:18 PM
What a change from 1990. I remember being so excited when ESPN got the baseball contract. Until then you had your local team, plus the Cubs on WGN, Braves on TBS, and NBC's game of the week. That's it. Even my local team, the Tigers, were not on every day. They'd show an over the air broadcast maybe once a week or twice in 10 days. A few in between were on cable, a pay channel at that! Then suddenly ESPN gets baseball and I am pretty sure they had games on 5 or 6 nights a week. "What? Baseball every night?" Fernando and Stewart throwing no hitters on the same night captured the excitement so well because there was drama and you got to see it. Exciting times.

I'm very nostalgic for Jon Miller's voice. WheN I hear it I think of the weekend winding down, getting ready for school or work on Monday, maybe putting together my fantasy team for the week. Just a relaxing pace.