PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain...

Joel Perez
08-06-2001, 02:27 PM
Why Carlos Lee is batting 2nd?

I thought you put a power hitter in the 3-7 batting order zone....what gives?

Why not put Rolls Royce in at the 2nd spot?

Jerry_Manuel
08-06-2001, 02:34 PM
Manuel thinks that this will help Lee start hitting the ball to right field.

:hitless
2? Bat me first!

PutItOnTheBoard
08-06-2001, 02:48 PM
Manuel thinks that this will help Lee start hitting the ball to right field

I'd like to see Lee start hitting the ball period.

He hasn't done squat the last two weeks, and hasn't looked good at the plate.

i ate canada
08-06-2001, 02:52 PM
All Manuel is doing by batting him second is hurting the offense. Putting him in the 2 hole won't magically make him take walks and hit to the right side. He's never done that. Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Jerry_Manuel
08-06-2001, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by i ate canada
All Manuel is doing by batting him second is hurting the offense. Putting him in the 2 hole won't magically make him take walks and hit to the right side. He's never done that. Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

I didn't say that I agreed with it ate.

Kilroy
08-06-2001, 02:59 PM

Well, given that the #2 hitter should have a different approach when he steps in the box, it should have an effect on those things. He should, in the number 2 hole, be looking at more pitches, and staying back on pitches longer. But CLee more than likely is still using his normal approach.

i ate canada
08-06-2001, 03:10 PM
I understand what Manuel is doing, but you can't just tell a guy to do all that stuff and expect it to happen. If Manuel bats Frank 1st, does that mean he should be stealing 40 bases? Carlos is regressing as a hitter and part of the blame for that should go to Jerry. For a while there, he was leading the team in RBI's. Now he's in a position where he never hits with men on base. Was he really doing that badly? Where Manuel had to "punish" him by batting him second?

Kilroy
08-06-2001, 09:17 PM
I understand what Manuel is doing, but you can't just tell a guy to do all that stuff and expect it to happen.

Why not? Why can't he be more patient at the plate? Why can't he not swing at pitches in the dirt? Why can't he use the entire field? Lee has the ability to approach Frank Thomas numbers. But he'll never do that with the approach he takes now which is pretty much "look for something to drive".

That's why Frank is so great when he's doing what he can do. He can cover the entire plate. If you pitch away, he can take you out the opposite way, and if you're close to the zone but not in, he'll take the walk. And, he very rarely swings at junk.

If CLee learns to do that, he will be seriously dangerous.

doublem23
08-06-2001, 09:20 PM
Sounds like someone needs to spend some time with Walt Hrniak. Hell, why not make him our hitting coach?

Daver
08-06-2001, 09:30 PM
That is not a good idea as far as I am concerned,there are guys on this team that would benefit from Hriniak's coaching,but not enough to make him the hitting coach.I would not object to making him a consultant though.

doublem23
08-06-2001, 09:35 PM
True, daver. If there was someone I'd want to be our hitting coach it would have to be Von Joshua. I don't understand why he was fired. As if everyone forgot what happened in 2000? THAT was a terrible move by KW.

Daver
08-06-2001, 09:54 PM
I was not unhappy with the Joshua firing,he was not that great a coach,the guy I would like to get is Rod Carew.

Mathew
08-06-2001, 10:30 PM
If he bat's Clayton 2nd, I'll become an Expos Fan!

Jerry_Manuel
08-06-2001, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by daver
I was not unhappy with the Joshua firing,he was not that great a coach,the guy I would like to get is Rod Carew.

Carew is with the Brewers right now and he can't seem to stop those guys from striking out every time up.

Daver
08-06-2001, 11:01 PM
That brings up the question do you blame the coach,or the hitter?
With what the Brewers have I blame the hitters.
But what the hell do I know?

Jerry_Manuel
08-06-2001, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by daver
That brings up the question do you blame the coach,or the hitter?
With what the Brewers have I blame the hitters.
But what the hell do I know?

I'm not saying that Carew is the problem, I'm just pointing out that is where he is right now.

Tragg
08-07-2001, 12:14 AM
Wriniak had that one handed approach that some players couldn't deal with.

As it is, he still coached lance johnson and ozzie guillen - two players who wouldn't walk to save their lives. These guys need patience and a better eye.