RP - Harrell (R)
RP - Torres (R)

Bench:
Castro - C (R)
Teahen - UT (L)
Vizquel - IF (S)
De Aza - OF (L)

Explanation/Rationale:
- Let's assume Peavy starts the season on the DL. When he comes back, he will take Pena's spot in the rotation, Pena will move to middle relief, and Harrell/Torres will be demoted.
- I like Rios in the #2 hole to start the season. I hope Beckham can eventually move there, but I don't want him to have too much pressure to perform at the beginning of the season.
- I like Dunn in the #3 hole since he may have the best OBP and is a decent baserunner for Konerko/Quentin to drive him in.
- Alexei should stay near the bottom of the order to start the year since he can't hit much in April/May.
- Buehrle has earned another Opening Day start, thus he is #1 in the rotation.
- I put Jackson as the #2 starter instead of Danks to break up the lefties.
- I put Harrell/Torres on the team since they have had decent MLB experience. If they have a poor spring training, someone else will take their place.
- I predict Viciedo will not make the team to start the year. They will let Morel and his solid defense start at third. Viciedo won't be a backup at first base either (Dunn and maybe Teahen will do this). This leaves Viciedo without a position. I think the White Sox will want him to get more at bats in the minors and then call him up mid season if there is an injury. Could we see Viciedo change positions to OF?
- Lillibridge didn't make the cut either, since Vizquel is our utility infielder. De Aza made the team over Lillibridge since we need a 4th OF.

What do you like and what do you not like? What are our biggest strengths and weaknesses? Is Kenny done yet?

I can't wait for SoxFest to ask Ozzie and Kenny what they think!

sox1970
01-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Dude, Torres went to Japan.

Pierre, Beckham, Dunn, Konerko, Rios, Quentin, Ramirez, Pierzynski, Morel
Lillibridge, Teahen, Vizquel, Castro
Buehrle, Jackson, Danks, Floyd, Harrell
Kinney, Pena, Ohman, Santos, Thornton, Crain, Sale

SoxThunder
01-12-2011, 01:19 PM

My bad about Torres. Can you tell me more about Kinney?

doublem23
01-12-2011, 01:29 PM
I still doubt we see Sale in 2011.

sox1970
01-12-2011, 01:31 PM
My bad about Torres. Can you tell me more about Kinney?

Kinney is a non-roster invite. I'm just picking him from the batch of candidates because he has major league experience and he had a heck of a season at AAA last year. Might be a good candidate.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=kinney001jos

SoxThunder
01-12-2011, 01:43 PM

Who do you think will be our 4th OF? Teahen? Ozzie likes to put in good defenders late in the game (which is why I had De Aza making the team over Lillibridge).

sox1970
01-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Who do you think will be our 4th OF? Teahen? Ozzie likes to put in good defenders late in the game (which is why I had De Aza making the team over Lillibridge).

I think it'll be a combination of Lillibridge and Teahen. You can throw Lillibridge in CF, and move Rios to RF. Teahen can occasionally start in RF, even though he's not good out there....well neither is Quentin, but at least he can hit 30 bombs if he stays healthy.

I think De Aza is a guy you bring up if Pierre got hurt.

KMcMahon817
01-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Pierre (LF)
Beckham (2B)
Rios (CF)
Dunn (DH)
Konerko (1B)
Quentin (RF)
Pierzynski (C)
Rameriez (SS)
Morel (3B)

Bench: Castro, Teahen, De Aza, Vizquel

Rotation: Buehrle, Jackson, Danks, Floyd, Sale

Bullpen:
Thornton (CL)
Crain (SU)
Santos (SU)
Pena
Infante
Ohman
Non-Roster Invite/Late Signing

Despite Coop's recent comments, I still think Sale moves to the bullpen when Peavy is ready to go.

SephClone89
01-12-2011, 02:25 PM
I still doubt we see Sale in 2011.

Wait, what? :scratch:

SoxThunder
01-12-2011, 02:30 PM
I think it'll be a combination of Lillibridge and Teahen. You can throw Lillibridge in CF, and move Rios to RF. Teahen can occasionally start in RF, even though he's not good out there....well neither is Quentin, but at least he can hit 30 bombs if he stays healthy.

I think De Aza is a guy you bring up if Pierre got hurt.

I see on baseball-reference.com that Lillibridge has appeared in 20 games in the OF in 2009-2010. Even though that's not much experience, anyone would be a late-inning defensive upgrade over Quentin.

Lillibridge's right handed bat off the bench would be more useful than De Aza's left handed bat (we already have Teahen/Vizquel as lefty pinch hitters). You convinced me to change my vote. De Aza will be in the minors.

DumpJerry
01-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Lillibridge was on Mulley and Hanley yesterday touting the Seahawks, his favorite NFL team. I say we trade him to Seattle for King Felix.

Lip Man 1
01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm going to wait. There is still plenty of time for Kenny to make a move or two if he wishes.

Lip

konerko 14
01-12-2011, 03:09 PM
starting lineup
1. Juan Pierre
2. Alexei Ramirez
3. Alex Rios
4. Adam Dunn
5. Paul Konerko
6. Carlos Quentin
7. AJ Pierzynski
8. Gordon Beckham
9. Brent Morel

starting rotation
Buehrle
Danks
Jackson
Floyd
Sale

bullpen
Crain
Infante
Thornton
Ohman
Pena
Santos
Harrell

bench
Vizquel
Castro
Lillibridge
Teahen

doublem23
01-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Wait, what? :scratch:

I think the Sox are going to make him a starter and I don't think he's ready for that role in the Majors yet.

BNLSox
01-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Agree with Lip.

I still think Teahan is going somewhere in the NL where he can play everyday with a low prospect and some cash coming back.

Question for those who have scoured the schedule: How many times do we need a fifth starter in April/May?

The answer to that could drive the decision making. Certainly the organization would rather use kid gloves with Sale giving him a consistent experience for the year than protect Pena. Also don't count out Freddy... unless I missed him signing somewhere?

delben91
01-12-2011, 03:15 PM
I think the Sox are going to make him a starter and I don't think he's ready for that role in the Majors yet.

Who are you picturing as the 5th starter until Peavy comes back? Pena? Harrell?

doublem23
01-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Who are you picturing as the 5th starter until Peavy comes back? Pena? Harrell?

I really don't have any idea. Of course, a lot of this is going to depend on Peavy's health and frankly, absolutely no one knows where he'll be in a month when camp is about to start. After I posted in this thread, I did a little back reading on the situation, thinking I had missed some big news on Sale, and while the Sox seem a lot more convinced he will break camp and come North to start the season, I am wondering what their long-term plan for him is. I know Sale dazzled everyone last year but if the Sox are intent on making him a starter, I am just not sure if he is prepared for that role for a full season. It's one thing to pitch for 3 outs for 2 months. It's another thing to try and pitch for 7 innings for 6 months.

I would think if we get closer to camp and Peavy is seriously not looking ready, the Sox might take a flyer on Freddy for one more year, too. I don't know if they'll have to find a way to shed some payroll for that.

DumpJerry
01-12-2011, 03:36 PM
I really don't have any idea. Of course, a lot of this is going to depend on Peavy's health and frankly, absolutely no one knows where he'll be in a month when camp is about to start. After I posted in this thread, I did a little back reading on the situation, thinking I had missed some big news on Sale, and while the Sox seem a lot more convinced he will break camp and come North to start the season, I am wondering what their long-term plan for him is. I know Sale dazzled everyone last year but if the Sox are intent on making him a starter, I am just not sure if he is prepared for that role for a full season. It's one thing to pitch for 3 outs for 2 months. It's another thing to try and pitch for 7 innings for 6 months.

I would think if we get closer to camp and Peavy is seriously not looking ready, the Sox might take a flyer on Freddy for one more year, too. I don't know if they'll have to find a way to shed some payroll for that.
I get the impression the Sox' long term plan for Sale is Starter. Short term, I think they want him to get quality experience without messing up the long term goal. Does this mean AAA as a SP so he gets used to going 7-8 innings a game? Maybe. He certainly showed some tremendous potential in his 1.5 month appearance last year.

If the Sox were a mid-level team (a team not projected to contend for the division but not expected to be in the cellar), they would throw him in the rotation at The Show. Since the Sox are considered contenders, they need to balance out the need for Sale to develop and the team's need to play up to expectations. This might mean he is the long relief guy so he gets in a measurable number of innings without the pressure of starting. I really think using him as a closer would be a waste of his skills-he does not seem like someone who gets figured out after one time through a lineup. I've said this before and I'll say it again about Sale, I think he is the second coming of Randy Johnson. Not this year, but certainly in a few years.

doublem23
01-12-2011, 03:46 PM
If the Sox were a mid-level team (a team not projected to contend for the division but not expected to be in the cellar), they would throw him in the rotation at The Show. Since the Sox are considered contenders, they need to balance out the need for Sale to develop and the team's need to play up to expectations. This might mean he is the long relief guy so he gets in a measurable number of innings without the pressure of starting. I really think using him as a closer would be a waste of his skills-he does not seem like someone who gets figured out after one time through a lineup. I've said this before and I'll say it again about Sale, I think he is the second coming of Randy Johnson. Not this year, but certainly in a few years.

I agree, and really the Sale question is going to boil down to, of course, Peavy. Nobody has any idea where he might be coming along in his rehab nor do we know how effective he will be when he returns.

In a perfect world for the Sox, I think, Peavy is ready to pitch early in the season and the Sox bullpen is able to get through this season without Sale, allowing him 1 year in the minors to stretch out and hone his craft so that in 2012, he is ready to step into the rotation and take the place of Buehrle and/or Jackson, both of whom might be gone by then.

It'sADunnBomb
01-12-2011, 03:48 PM
LF- Peirre
3B- Morel
CF- Rios
1B- Konerko
DH- Dunn
RF- Quentin
C- Pierzynski
SS- Ramirez
2B- Beckham

LHP- Buehrle
RHP- Jackson
LHP- Danks
RHP- Floyd
RHP- Harrell

LHP- Thornton
LHP- Ohman
LHP- Sale
RHP- Crain
RHP- Santos
RHP- Pena

INF- Vizquel
OF/INF- Teahen
INF- Lillibidge
OF- De Aza
C- Castro

DirtySox
01-12-2011, 04:09 PM
I agree, and really the Sale question is going to boil down to, of course, Peavy. Nobody has any idea where he might be coming along in his rehab nor do we know how effective he will be when he returns.

In a perfect world for the Sox, I think, Peavy is ready to pitch early in the season and the Sox bullpen is able to get through this season without Sale, allowing him 1 year in the minors to stretch out and hone his craft so that in 2012, he is ready to step into the rotation and take the place of Buehrle and/or Jackson, both of whom might be gone by then.

Pretty much my thoughts. I'm really hoping the perfect world scenario comes true. Sale needs reps in the minors to hone those secondary pitches (Change & Slider). He really has top of the rotation potential and I'd rather not see that stagnate by stashing him way in the pen.

delben91
01-12-2011, 04:10 PM
SH- Vizquel
LH- Teahen
RH- Lillibidge
LH- De Aza

So AJ is going to catch 162 games this season? :redneck

wilburaga
01-12-2011, 04:14 PM
LF- Peirre
3B- Morel
CF- Rios
1B- Konerko
DH- Dunn
RF- Quentin
C- Pierzynski
SS- Ramirez
2B- Beckham

LHP- Buehrle
RHP- Jackson
LHP- Danks
RHP- Floyd
RHP- Harrell

LHP- Thornton
LHP- Ohman
LHP- Sale
RHP- Crain
RHP- Santos
RHP- Pena
RHP- Infante

SH- Vizquel
LH- Teahen
RH- Lillibidge
LH- De Aza

A. J. is going to be pretty tired in the dog days.

It'sADunnBomb
01-12-2011, 04:34 PM
So AJ is going to catch 162 games this season? :redneck

A. J. is going to be pretty tired in the dog days.
:D: I forgot all about castro

sox1970
01-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Agree with Lip.

I still think Teahan is going somewhere in the NL where he can play everyday with a low prospect and some cash coming back.

Question for those who have scoured the schedule: How many times do we need a fifth starter in April/May?

The answer to that could drive the decision making. Certainly the organization would rather use kid gloves with Sale giving him a consistent experience for the year than protect Pena. Also don't count out Freddy... unless I missed him signing somewhere?

Just looking at it, they only have April 4th and 14th off, so don't look for them to skip anyone unless they have rainouts. Last year they didn't have a rainout until May 17th, so you can't count on them.

russ99
01-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Pierre (LF)
Beckham (2B)
Dunn (DH)
Konerko (1B)
Rios (CF)
Quentin (RF)
Pierzynski (C)
Ramirez (SS) - will bat second after usual April slow start
Morel (3B)

Bench: Castro, Vizquel, Viciedo, Lillibridge
(would love to see Vlad Guerrero as pop from the bench and Quentin insurance, and move Dayan to AAA)

Rotation: Peavy (skipping his turn until he's ready 3 weeks in)
Buehrle, Jackson, Danks, Floyd

Bullpen:
Sale (CL)
Thornton (SU)
Crain (SU)
Santos (SR)
Ohman (LOOGY/MR)
Infante (MR)
Marquez (LR/Spot SP) after a good spring training

As for Pena - I'm predicting the Sox will walk away from his arb award.

Lip Man 1
01-12-2011, 06:35 PM
For what it's worth the last bit of news that I was told about Freddy is that he wants a lot more money than he made last season. I don't know if any other teams are seriously considering him, I was told Japan is an option.

The joker in all this is what happens if February rolls around and he's still unsigned? Does he start to panic and take a lower offer? That sounds like a situation where the Sox could get more involved.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Lip

delben91
01-12-2011, 06:41 PM
For what it's worth the last bit of news that I was told about Freddy is that he wants a lot more money than he made last season. I don't know if any other teams are seriously considering him, I was told Japan is an option.

The joker in all this is what happens if February rolls around and he's still unsigned? Does he start to panic and take a lower offer? That sounds like a situation where the Sox could get more involved.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Lip

I have the suspiscion that Freddy or some other #5 stater candidate, the Sox will be taking the approach of waiting until just before ST and seeing whose asking prices have become more reasonable. Freddy is not the only potential pitcher that could fit that role, Kevin Millwood is another that jumps to mind.

LITTLE NELL
01-12-2011, 06:55 PM
I would not mind Andruw Jones to be the 4th outfielder. I don't think he has been signed by anyone yet, has he?

DirtySox
01-12-2011, 06:58 PM
I would not mind Andruw Jones to be the 4th outfielder. I don't think he has been signed by anyone yet, has he?

He's still unsigned but the Yankees are interested.