PDA

View Full Version : Got a Good Feeling About the Sox in 2011

voodoochile
01-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Just got my Xmas present. Couple of good friends combined to send me a Dunn jersey. It's only the second one I've ever owned (three guess who the other ones is and the first two don't count. (Hint V)

I hope Dunn is wearing 32 this season...:D:

GoSox2K3
01-12-2011, 12:09 AM
If (IF) Peavy comes back healthy, then I really like our chances. We'll be going into the season with a good offensive lineup, a good rotation and a decent pen.

I'll be eager to see how Brent Morel does this year. If he can win the starting 3B job and can hit well in his rookie season, that's a huge shot in the arm for this team given the defense he provides at 3rd.

Dub25
01-12-2011, 12:15 AM
This offseason is shaping up to be a nice season... with or without Peavy.

LoveYourSuit
01-12-2011, 12:29 AM
With or with out Peavy, this is the best I have felt about a Sox team going in since 2006.

2006 is the most confident I have ever felt about a Sox team, even more than that the 2005 miracle.

2011 is getting very close. Kenny gets us a real closer, it will blow away 2006 for me when it comes to confidence.

Noneck
01-12-2011, 01:09 AM
If Peavy comes back close to 90%, I would love for the Sox to ride their horses. I know teams dont do this anymore but this is the type of staff that I think can be ridden. I am not crazy about the pen but that wouldnt be much of a factor if the 4 starters were expected to go 250+innings and see where the pieces fall.

DSpivack
01-12-2011, 01:49 AM
I never have "feelings" about a season one way or the other, but I worry about the back end of the rotation and what Peavy will be able to bring for the remainder of his contract at $16 million a year and how that will affect the team's budget. That said, I'm happy at the moves this offseason and look forward to sitting outside on a beautiful summer's day watching the White Sox.

whitem0nkey
01-12-2011, 02:49 AM
im really exited about the sox, heck im exited about the Bulls, and bears also, last year the hawks. Chicago has shaped up to a real exiting sports town. now if only the Sky could get their act together.

TDog
01-12-2011, 02:52 AM
Just got my Xmas present. Couple of good friends combined to send me a Dunn jersey. It's only the second one I've ever owned (three guess who the other ones is and the first two don't count. (Hint V)

I hope Dunn is wearing 32 this season...:D:

The feeling you have for a season is based on what you expect from a season. I had a great feeling about last season because I was expecting the entire season to be like June and July turned out to be.

I don't mean to be negative when I write that I had a better feeling a year ago about the 2010 White Sox than I do now about the 2011 White Sox. That isn't remotely like writing that I don't believe the 2011 White Sox will do as well as the 2010 White Sox.

Right now, I am more concerned with the bullpen than I was a year ago -- but I didn't expect the bullpen to be the problem it became after Peavy went down. Overall, I expected more last year from the starting pitching than I do this year because Peavy has become a question mark.

I don't expect as much from the offense than I expected a year ago (and, in fact, the White Sox had one of the best offenses in baseball last July and August, although August was the month that essentially cost the White Sox the division). I have never been impressed with Adam Dunn as a hitter, and I don't expect him to carry a productive offense the way some do.

Of course, I'm still optimistic about 2011, and I expect them to win the division. But I'm not as excited as I have been, in 2006 for example, or even 1973. And the hope is still there, just as it was going into 2005.

voodoochile
01-12-2011, 04:35 AM
The feeling you have for a season is based on what you expect from a season. I had a great feeling about last season because I was expecting the entire season to be like June and July turned out to be.

I don't mean to be negative when I write that I had a better feeling a year ago about the 2010 White Sox than I do now about the 2011 White Sox. That isn't remotely like writing that I don't believe the 2011 White Sox will do as well as the 2010 White Sox.

Right now, I am more concerned with the bullpen than I was a year ago -- but I didn't expect the bullpen to be the problem it became after Peavy went down. Overall, I expected more last year from the starting pitching than I do this year because Peavy has become a question mark.

I don't expect as much from the offense than I expected a year ago (and, in fact, the White Sox had one of the best offenses in baseball last July and August, although August was the month that essentially cost the White Sox the division). I have never been impressed with Adam Dunn as a hitter, and I don't expect him to carry a productive offense the way some do.

Of course, I'm still optimistic about 2011, and I expect them to win the division. But I'm not as excited as I have been, in 2006 for example, or even 1973. And the hope is still there, just as it was going into 2005.

My good feeling comes from the fact I got an Adam Dunn jersey in the mail today. I'm not overthinking the rest of it yet...:D:

Marqhead
01-12-2011, 04:46 AM
Quit trying to put a damper on all the complaining.

Frater Perdurabo
01-12-2011, 07:31 AM
I am excited as well.

I am particularly excited about seeing Dunn hit in a lineup that protects him and in a bandbox ballpark.

I am also optimistic about Peavy's progress. A strong rotation that eats innings will make the bullpen better; middle relievers are best when used least.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-12-2011, 07:58 AM
This thread is what I needed to start a Wednesday. Thanks Voodoo and congrats on the jersey.

My birthday is coming up and I've asked for a road Konerko jersey (with the diamond patch). That would be the 1st jersey I've ever owned, and I'm stoked to get it not only for Konerko, but for the season coming up.

P's and C's report in 38 days?? :gulp: :D: :bandance:

doublem23
01-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Though I still have some reservations about this team, I am at least happy with how the Sox off-season went. JR and KW really made an effort to improve this team in free agency and effectively used some of our "big market" status to act like a big market team. A usual White Sox offseason would have been signing guys like Vlad and Adam LaRoche and trying to pretend like it was as good as Dunn and Konerko.

Considering this thread popped up a day after we got a few inches of snow here in Chicago, I am definitely read for pitchers and catchers to report and for baseball to come back. So close. :cool:

Red Barchetta
01-12-2011, 09:25 AM
I just hope that like 2005, they get off to a fast start. I'm getting tired of looking up at the Twins/Tigers in May and June.

We don't need a torrid start like 2005, however it would be nice to at least be .500 coming out of April.

I like this team on paper and anything good out of Peavy before June would be a plus.

guillensdisciple
01-12-2011, 10:39 AM
I am on the boat as well. Recently got a new Alexei jersey so I am pretty stoked for the season and going to some games.

I hope we have a huge spike in attendance. WE really have to show a pride in this team for going big instead of succumbing to the young rebuild process. Completely empty rows in the upper deck will be an eye sore if we have them this year.

SephClone89
01-12-2011, 10:40 AM
im really exited about the sox, heck im exited about the Bulls, and bears also, last year the hawks. Chicago has shaped up to a real exiting sports town. now if only the Sky could get their act together.

:rolling:

dwitt76
01-12-2011, 11:13 AM
I hope we have a huge spike in attendance. WE really have to show a pride in this team for going big instead of succumbing to the young rebuild process. Completely empty rows in the upper deck will be an eye sore if we have them this year.

Dont hold your breath. I am optimistic about this year, but i dont see a huge bump in attendance.

seventyseven
01-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Dont hold your breath. I am optimistic about this year, but i dont see a huge bump in attendance.

+1

The Sox will have to win in April/May to get good attendance this summer.

Lip Man 1
01-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Like any club there are questions but I certainly think this club can contend for the division and if they get to the postseason, beyond.

There's a lot to like about this team and while I think Kenny is probably done, with him, you never know. It's still only mid-January a lot more things can happen.

The key to the season for me is can the club stay healthy? If that happens with their talent, you've got a real shot.

Lip

Dan H
01-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Like many others, I worry about Peavy and what he will be able to contribute. But there is more than enough room for optimism and that's all you can ask for when the season starts. Other years, and there were plenty of them, there was little hope. 2011 looks like an interesting year no matter what the outcome.

rcescato
01-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I am very excited about this season. Since we are all in then kw better spend the money on Soriano and have that closer. Ala '05 we had 3 closers, politte, hermanson, and shingo to start but ended up with rookie Jenks. So depth is a good thing. We need to start out hot and never look back. experts are already putting us in the top 5 of power rankings.

gogosox675
01-12-2011, 02:05 PM
This thread is what I needed to start a Wednesday. Thanks Voodoo and congrats on the jersey.

My birthday is coming up and I've asked for a road Konerko jersey (with the diamond patch). That would be the 1st jersey I've ever owned, and I'm stoked to get it not only for Konerko, but for the season coming up.

P's and C's report in 38 days?? :gulp: :D: :bandance:
:o:
I can't believe it's that close!

I'll be even more excited when I get my tickets. I can't wait to see this team play in person.

Jollyroger2
01-12-2011, 02:11 PM
I am excited as well.

I am particularly excited about seeing Dunn hit in a lineup that protects him and in a bandbox ballpark.

I am also optimistic about Peavy's progress. A strong rotation that eats innings will make the bullpen better; middle relievers are best when used least.

Agree with you on Dunn. I'm in the DC area and if he can do what he did on an awful Nationals team, then he'll definitley produce with the Sox, a team with more protection in the lineup and a hitters park. The lineup has two potential 40-homer guys and another three guys who can hit about 20 homers.

The rotation looks nice, of course a healthy Peavy will make it even better. I'm encouraged that Jackson pitched well for us and hope that continues. And the bullpen, if my numbers are right, Pena is the only one coming into this season who had an ERA above 3.21.

Hopefully it will all work out but it looks good.

JB98
01-12-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm definitely excited about this season.

I think Peavy is the key to the whole thing. If he's healthy and effective, I like the Sox chances this year.

tstrike2000
01-12-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm definitely excited about this season.

I think Peavy is the key to the whole thing. If he's healthy and effective, I like the Sox chances this year.

Yes, having Peavy back for at least most of the year to solidify the 1-5 of Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, and Jackson would be ginormous.

Rikirk
01-15-2011, 07:50 AM
I wonder if someone could put in a call to China and get a deal on fireworks. Im expecting lots of boom this season.

SOXSINCE'70
01-15-2011, 07:56 AM
The Sox will have to win in April/May to get good attendance this summer.

The Sox have to win to get good attendance,PERIOD,IMO.

Medford Bobby
01-15-2011, 09:18 AM
12 wins out of Peavy means we got a chance to win the divsion.....I stilll think a spring training bull pen trade could happen....:scratch:

voodoochile
01-15-2011, 01:27 PM
The Sox have to win to get good attendance,PERIOD,IMO.

From what I've read the team has seen a jump in season ticket holders. S, some of that has already happened.

AnkleSox
01-15-2011, 02:49 PM
From what I've read the team has seen a jump in season ticket holders. S, some of that has already happened.

I think the fans realize that KW improved a team that, despite fading down the stretch last year, gave us probably the most fun summer of baseball since 05. Sox fans are often known to be pessimistic but I think across the board there's a feeling about this team that we haven't had for several years.

Can't guarantee an attendance spike but in my opinion there will be more people wanting to go to the games early in the year. If they win early the Summer could be a loud one on the South Side.

russ99
01-15-2011, 05:30 PM
This has been Kenny's most active offseason in his role as GM.

So you can't help but get excited about our chances. :D:

I'd like to see a commitment to a much more focused spring training this year, since the last few years the guys didn't get going until the last week or so, affecting their start to the regular season.

I also wouldn't mind one more signing for the rotation/pen and the bench.

Doesn't Kenny usually grab someone right before Soxfest?

Daver
01-15-2011, 05:34 PM
I have optimism for the season, but I still see a team with only 4 legit starting pitchers on the roster.

WhiteSox5187
01-15-2011, 05:45 PM
I have optimism for the season, but I still see a team with only 4 legit starting pitchers on the roster.

That's the way I see it too, I'm worried about that Peavy injury, but there is lots of cause for optimism.