PDA

View Full Version : Coop only wants Sale in bullpen in 2011

delben91
01-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Doesn't think putting him in the rotation and then moving him to the bullpen will be good for his development.

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=6002831)

Interesting discussion on Peavy's readiness in the article too, wonder if we're just talking about covering the month of April if Pena would be a feasible option. Didn't he make a couple spot starts in 2010 with mixed results?

Red Barchetta
01-10-2011, 12:49 PM
When it comes to pitching, I really think the SOX follow "Coop Rules"...

I like the idea of keeping Sale in the BP another year. However, they need to make sure they have a strong Peavy backup plan.

I'm excited that the organization is so bullish on Peavy's return, however I for one would rather see him wait until at least June before he returns. No need for him and his surgically repaired lat muscle to start a game in Detroit in April/May when it's 45 degrees outside.

Lip Man 1
01-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I'd prefer that Sale remain in the bullpen provided that Peavy returns in a reasonable amount of time say by May 15th.

Lip

DirtySox
01-10-2011, 12:56 PM
The article doesn't at all state that he only wants Sale in the bullpen. He doesn't want him bouncing around from starting to relieving. He says that if Sale starts, he should continue starting the entire season.

kittle42
01-10-2011, 12:58 PM
The article doesn't at all state that he only wants Sale in the bullpen. He doesn't want him bouncing around from starting to relieving. He says that if Sale starts, he should continue starting the entire season.

Correct.

sox1970
01-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah, it's better they keep Sale in the bullpen, and specifically, he should be the closer to start the season.

I really like the idea of keeping Thornton and Crain in their normal roles as setup guys. If Sale fails, at least they have options to go to.

If Peavy is on schedule for a May return, they'd be better off trying out Pena or Harrell for those 4-6 starts instead of having Sale getting bounced around.

Standing Ovation
01-10-2011, 02:08 PM
The title of this thread needs to change.

JermaineDye05
01-10-2011, 02:20 PM
The title is misleading. Coop wants Sale to do one or the other next season, not both.

SephClone89
01-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Doesn't think putting him in the rotation and then moving him to the bullpen will be good for his development.

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=6002831)

Interesting discussion on Peavy's readiness in the article too, wonder if we're just talking about covering the month of April if Pena would be a feasible option. Didn't he make a couple spot starts in 2010 with mixed results?

He made one start and it was pretty damn good.

DirtySox
01-10-2011, 02:32 PM

No. He made 3 starts, and only one was good. One was abysmal, and the other was mediocre. Tony Pena would be nothing more than a marginal starter at best. It's definitely a feasible option though if Peavy only needs to miss a few starts.

I still hope to see Sale starting for at least part of the season. Wouldn't be upset if he's sent to the minors when Peavy is ready in order to continue starting either.

DumpJerry
01-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Wrong. He start three games in 2010. August 21 (no decision, Sox won 7-6), Sept. 26 (got the win) and October 1st (got the loss).

You might be thinking of the game when he came in after Peavy got hurt.

doublem23
01-10-2011, 03:46 PM

Yeah, I was there for that game and Tony did pitch pretty well. That said, if we're handing him the ball 30 times in 2011, Dunn and Konerko are going to be looking for any loophole in their contract by April 15.

kittle42
01-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Tony Pena would be our worst starter since the revolving door 5th spot ended. He is *not* good for a starting role.

hawkjt
01-10-2011, 04:00 PM
I hope that Coop gets to keep Sale in the bullpen all year.

Corlose 15
01-10-2011, 04:53 PM
When it comes to pitching, I really think the SOX follow "Coop Rules"...

I like the idea of keeping Sale in the BP another year. However, they need to make sure they have a strong Peavy backup plan.

I'm excited that the organization is so bullish on Peavy's return, however I for one would rather see him wait until at least June before he returns. No need for him and his surgically repaired lat muscle to start a game in Detroit in April/May when it's 45 degrees outside.

How about he starts when he's ready? There's no reason to come up with some arbitrary June timeline for him because you're worried. When he's ready he'll pitch.

Red Barchetta
01-10-2011, 04:57 PM
How about he starts when he's ready? There's no reason to come up with some arbitrary June timeline for him because you're worried. When he's ready he'll pitch.

Well, a big "Duh" to that. Thanks Dad! Don't worry, Coop, Ozzie & KW aren't checking with me first. :rolleyes:

GoGoCrede
01-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Haha, I thought this meant he wanted to dump all the other guys and keep Sale only. It was funnier that way.

01-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Why isn't Sergio Santos discussed anywhere as the potential closer?

kittle42
01-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Why isn't Sergio Santos discussed anywhere as the potential closer?

Because he isn't that good (at least yet), is my guess.

kobo
01-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Sale should be the closer. I know a lot want him to be a starter, but I think his best value to the team this year would be in the closer role.

SephClone89
01-10-2011, 09:32 PM
No. He made 3 starts, and only one was good. One was abysmal, and the other was mediocre.

Wrong. He start three games in 2010. August 21 (no decision, Sox won 7-6), Sept. 26 (got the win) and October 1st (got the loss).

You're right. I remembered the first one against KC. The other two were at the end of the season after I'd left for England. My mistake.

VMSNS
01-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Coop prefers Sale in the bullpen, and has said as much on at least one occasion. I also believe Ozzie said that if it were up to him, he'd make Sale the closer.

Personally, I think Sale should be our closer in 2011, and slide him over to the rotation for 2012. We're definitely going to need him as a starter a few years down the road.

Hitmen77
01-11-2011, 10:37 AM
If the Sox commit to having Sale in the bullpen this year, the our pen would be Thornton, Santos, Sale, Crain, Pena, Ohman, plus one last roster spot (probably to be filled during spring training).

Of course, for our starting rotation, that leaves the much-discussed question mark about Peavy's comeback.

What do people think KW will (or should) do at this point? Is he pretty much done? Does he go for one more bullpen arm? Does he take a flier on a "bargain" 5th starter (if such a thing exists) in case Peavy doesn't return early in the season?

Lip Man 1
01-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Hit:

It all depends on where Sale begins the season. If he's in the pen, Kenny's done...if he is a starter in my opinion he needs to look for one more guy (right hander)

Lip

Thome25
01-11-2011, 11:23 AM

Which probably isn't going to happen. Sale's primary job will be as a reliever. If he is in the rotation the entire season, then something spectacular happened.

Either he was lights-out during his time in the rotation and we have no choice but to keep him in there or we're in trouble and he is in there because we don't have anyone else to turn to.

doublem23
01-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Which probably isn't going to happen. Sale's primary job will be as a reliever. If he is in the rotation the entire season, then something spectacular happened.

Either he was lights-out during his time in the rotation and we have no choice but to keep him in there or we're in trouble and he is in there because we don't have anyone else to turn to.

Sale doesn't have to spend the year in Chicago, and if the Sox see his long-term future as a starter, it's likely that he'll be spending the majority of the season in the minor leagues getting his arm stretched out to take over for either Buehrle or Jackson when one/both of them leave after 2011.

KenBerryGrab
01-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Chris Sale will not see the minor leagues in 2011.

doublem23
01-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Chris Sale will not see the minor leagues in 2011.

If Peavy is healthy, I don't see why not.

sullythered
01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Honestly, I want Sale to be a starter. I don't want to screw him up for the long term by just using him in the pen because it's what is convenient right now. This kid has too much potential for that.

hoosiersoxfan
01-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Wasn't Adam Wainwright the closer for St Louis when the won the 2006 world series? Then I believe he became a starter the following year.

Maybe this can be the path that Sale takes. Closer for a season and then move him in to the rotation in 2012.

delben91
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Wasn't Adam Wainwright the closer for St Louis when the won the 2006 world series? Then I believe he became a starter the following year.

Maybe this can be the path that Sale takes. Closer for a season and then move him in to the rotation in 2012.

Other players have started in the bullpen and in later seasons gone to the rotation. Mark Buehrle as an example. Don't see why it couldn't work for Sale.

If the Sox really think Peavy could be ready in April, I think going with Pena for 3 or 4 starts would work. If not, I think the Sox bringing in a couple guys to ST along the lines of Garcia or Millwood is the way to go.

Leave Sale in the pen this year unless you're going to put him in the rotation and keep him there.

doublem23
01-11-2011, 01:50 PM

True, but Wainwrigth had been a starter in the Cardinals system for years. While he was pressed to the bullpen out of need for 2006, by that time, he had over 130 starts and nearly 800 IP in the minors.

doublem23
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Other players have started in the bullpen and in later seasons gone to the rotation. Mark Buehrle as an example. Don't see why it couldn't work for Sale.

If the Sox really think Peavy could be ready in April, I think going with Pena for 3 or 4 starts would work. If not, I think the Sox bringing in a couple guys to ST along the lines of Garcia or Millwood is the way to go.

Leave Sale in the pen this year unless you're going to put him in the rotation and keep him there.

That's all true, but there are some special considerations I think you're overlooking with Sale...

1) Does his body and his throwing motion allow him to pitch 200 innings over 30 or so starts every year? There are some real concerns about that.

2) We all know Chris has the stuff to get outs when he knows he only needs to get three at a time, but is he ready to get 18-21 per game? That's a real different monster.

Remember, this kid is just a few months removed from college. There's a reason very few pitchers make the jump we're talking about him making. It's very, very difficult.