PDA

View Full Version : Hey Sun Times, you um, messed up.

soltrain21
01-08-2011, 01:55 PM
http://deadspin.com/5728447/chicago-sun+times-mixes-up-its-latino-baseball-players

Well done, Sun Times. Well. Done.

DirtySox
01-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Awesome.

DumpJerry
01-08-2011, 02:12 PM
They were ragging on it on Talking Baseball this morning.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
01-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Wonder what Cowley has to say about this one.

DumpJerry
01-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Wonder what Cowley has to say about this one.
"Ozzie provided us with the photo."

Rohan
01-08-2011, 02:36 PM
This is awesome. :rolling:

thomas35forever
01-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Oh God. That's embarrassing.

Brian26
01-08-2011, 05:58 PM
I saw a rumor earlier this week that the Sun-Times may be on life support. I know this affects JB directly, so I don't want to speculate any more than that, but I wonder how many people are mailing it in downtown right now.

Foulke You
01-08-2011, 06:13 PM
For their sakes, it is lucky for them that it happened on the Saturday edition which has far less circulation than any other day of the week.

DumpJerry
01-08-2011, 06:18 PM
For their sakes, it is lucky for them that it happened on the Saturday edition which has far less circulation than any other day of the week.
Ahhh.....but it will live 1,000 years on the Internet....

JB98
01-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I saw a rumor earlier this week that the Sun-Times may be on life support. I know this affects JB directly, so I don't want to speculate any more than that, but I wonder how many people are mailing it in downtown right now.

Whatever you've heard is likely true. The situation is not good.

Brian26
01-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Whatever you've heard is likely true. The situation is not good.

Hang in there. The rumor I saw was March 31, FWIW.

doublem23
01-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Apparently, the Daily Herald made the same mistake.

http://twitpic.com/3o8o61

I guess the original person who confused Benoit and Garza was the photographer (or some AP drone), who incorrectly tagged the photo in the AP database.

DSpivack
01-09-2011, 12:37 AM

I guess the original person who confused Benoit and Garza was the photographer (or some AP drone), who incorrectly tagged the photo in the AP database.

But with that headline... it's not David Price in the picture, either! :tongue:

siugrad25
01-10-2011, 03:44 PM
With the new computer system we're all on, I was able to find the photo the S-T ran, and yes, the cutline in the photo read Garza from a playoff game against Texas. Obviously, it doesn't make the situation any better, but to the credit of the designer/editors, initially, it wasn't their fault. I'm not excusing anybody for not properly identifying a player before hitting print, but unfortunately it can happen to any of us designers. While I might be able to tell the difference between Garza and Benoit, there are plenty of news people I trust to be who they are based on the information in the system. Just a couple days ago, I found two mugs in the system of two different people marked with the same name... thankfully I had a clue which one was supposed to run. It's definitely an embarrassing situation.

downstairs
01-10-2011, 04:49 PM
With the new computer system we're all on, I was able to find the photo the S-T ran, and yes, the cutline in the photo read Garza from a playoff game against Texas. Obviously, it doesn't make the situation any better, but to the credit of the designer/editors, initially, it wasn't their fault. I'm not excusing anybody for not properly identifying a player before hitting print, but unfortunately it can happen to any of us designers. While I might be able to tell the difference between Garza and Benoit, there are plenty of news people I trust to be who they are based on the information in the system. Just a couple days ago, I found two mugs in the system of two different people marked with the same name... thankfully I had a clue which one was supposed to run. It's definitely an embarrassing situation.

I don't know the newspaper biz, but it would seem that its just some graphic designer and their boss/editor that puts that together. So if they can't trust the AP, they'd have to find another expert for EVERY photo they run unless its someone so famous you couldn't mistake it.

Embarassing, but I don't fully blame the papers.

siugrad25
01-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Here's the deal: No matter the size of the paper, the basic principles exist. The designer receives the budget from the editor with what stories are slated for each page. Unless specific art is requested by the editor for the cover story, it is up to the designer to pull the art necessary to design the page using art from various sources. After the page is designed, it is turned over to a copy editor who reviews it for print before sending off to press. The number of looks the page gets depends on the size of the paper. Like you mentioned, if we can't trust the Associated Press or the information provided by the cutline information, we can get burned. Obviously, you have to trust that someone will know what the person looks like and will catch the error, but it's definitely not a flawless process. The new computer system we installed here has a tendency to also switch cutlines on the photos if we put two or more on a page at the same time.

Like I said before, I feel terrible for them for the mistake and have been there before, but unless you know what every person looks like when putting together the page, you have to trust the information in the system as correct.

I don't know the newspaper biz, but it would seem that its just some graphic designer and their boss/editor that puts that together. So if they can't trust the AP, they'd have to find another expert for EVERY photo they run unless its someone so famous you couldn't mistake it.

Embarassing, but I don't fully blame the papers.