PDA

View Full Version : Sox Organist and Video Board Discussion

Fenway
01-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Logic and good PR would dictate that the White Sox should use SOXFEST'11 to introduce Nancy's replacement and have them play in the background so fans can get to know him/her.

I asked the Red Sox organist if he knew anything and he says the White Sox will not even respond to an email.

Seriously if Brooks doesn't say something, that will become a major part of the Q and A.

DumpJerry
01-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Adam Dunn's contract says he can play the organ on days he is not in the lineup.

Fenway
01-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I sent Brooks and e-mail and asked him 2 questions - got fast reply

posted without any comment ( I am sure you guys will have plenty )

Brooks

I noticed on FB that many White Sox fans are expecting the new organist at SoxFest to start the process.

BTW just curious on my part - Red Sox now installing the new Diamond Vision and they partnered with ANC. They had a Daktronics board for 10 years and were not happy with the tech support and once they saw Yankee Stadium decided to go to DV.

http://www.commercialintegrator.com/article/red_sox_subtly_integrate_giant_hd_screens_in_fenwa y_park

Your board is getting close to the 10 year mark so

As you know fans on third base side still grumbling that Fundamentals blocked the line scoreboard. Boston ripped out the backwall for the new boards - this is how it looked a few days ago.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31940988&l=2890c8fc37&id=1014362077

Brooks Boyer to me
show details
2:08 PM (21 minutes ago)

Thanks for the note Kevin. No plans right now to add any boards. We have to pay players at this point.

Hope you are having a good offseason.

All the best,

Brooks

WhiteSox5187
01-08-2011, 02:32 PM
I sent Brooks and e-mail and asked him 2 questions - got fast reply

posted without any comment ( I am sure you guys will have plenty )

Brooks

I noticed on FB that many White Sox fans are expecting the new organist at SoxFest to start the process.

BTW just curious on my part - Red Sox now installing the new Diamond Vision and they partnered with ANC. They had a Daktronics board for 10 years and were not happy with the tech support and once they saw Yankee Stadium decided to go to DV.

http://www.commercialintegrator.com/article/red_sox_subtly_integrate_giant_hd_screens_in_fenwa y_park

Your board is getting close to the 10 year mark so

As you know fans on third base side still grumbling that Fundamentals blocked the line scoreboard. Boston ripped out the backwall for the new boards - this is how it looked a few days ago.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31940988&l=2890c8fc37&id=1014362077

Brooks Boyer to me
show details
2:08 PM (21 minutes ago)

Thanks for the note Kevin. No plans right now to add any boards. We have to pay players at this point.

Hope you are having a good offseason.

All the best,

Brooks

Heh, I liked that response.

JermaineDye05
01-08-2011, 02:34 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Adam Dunn's contract says he can play the organ on days he is not in the lineup.

:D:

Dunn is a pretty cool guy, I wouldn't put it by him.

He visited Uecker in the booth during a game against Milwaukee.

link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10266683)

Brian26
01-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Logic and good PR would dictate that the White Sox should use SOXFEST'11 to introduce Nancy's replacement and have them play in the background so fans can get to know him/her.

Logic and good PR seemed to go out the window about three years ago. Brooks and the marketing staff are too busy trying to tweak logos and patches on the uniforms right now.

Madvora
01-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I thought the point of Nancy leaving was because they didn't want organ music anymore. I was under the impression that Nancy didn't really want to leave. It really surprises me that they are getting somebody else.

johnr1note
01-08-2011, 06:50 PM
I thought the point of Nancy leaving was because they didn't want organ music anymore. I was under the impression that Nancy didn't really want to leave. It really surprises me that they are getting somebody else.

Have they even hinted the ARE getting anybody else? I don't think so. I think we will no longer have an organist.

dickallen15
01-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Heh, I liked that response.

What's curious about Brooks' response is he intimates the White Sox would pay for any new boards. As far as I know, they would not.

Fenway
01-08-2011, 07:30 PM
What's curious about Brooks' response is he intimates the White Sox would pay for any new boards. As far as I know, they would not.

Also notice how he ignored the organist part of my e-mail

Rule of thumb is stadium video boards shelflife is 10 years

Boston is getting new DiamondVision HD boards - and I have seen the one at Yankee Stadium

This clip off a camcorder shows how good the new generation boards are

0diR8qWXU9k

DumpJerry
01-08-2011, 07:42 PM

The tinfoil hat crowd wants to believe this. The truth is that she lives on a farm far away from Chicago. This is why when she did her last contract, she got rid of night games, it was too tiring to get home after 1:00 a.m. after a night game.

Have they even hinted the ARE getting anybody else? I don't think so. I think we will no longer have an organist.
Well, they did announce that they were going to hire an organist.

Brian26
01-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Also notice how he ignored the organist part of my e-mail

Rule of thumb is stadium video boards shelflife is 10 years

Boston is getting new DiamondVision HD boards - and I have seen the one at Yankee Stadium

This clip off a camcorder shows how good the new generation boards are

When the Sox finally address the video board, they need to look at the entire concourse as a whole and re-evaluate what's there. They've got a board in left that can't been seen by about 30% of the stadium, the middle-main board is outdated, and the new out-of-town board is in a good location but too hard to read unless you have perfect 20/20 vision. And in between all of that you have the expressway signs. I'd like to see it re-worked, and they could really pay homage to Veeck and make it special. But, yeah, I'd rather have Soriano in the bullpen right now, which probably isn't happening anyway.

Fenway
01-08-2011, 08:47 PM
When the Sox finally address the video board, they need to look at the entire concourse as a whole and re-evaluate what's there. They've got a board in left that can't been seen by about 30% of the stadium, the middle-main board is outdated, and the new out-of-town board is in a good location but too hard to read unless you have perfect 20/20 vision. And in between all of that you have the expressway signs. I'd like to see it re-worked, and they could really pay homage to Veeck and make it special. But, yeah, I'd rather have Soriano in the bullpen right now, which probably isn't happening anyway.

The Red Sox may give a clue on how to handle the ad signs

http://www.commercialintegrator.com/images/photos/CurrentFenway_Park_Signage_Night.jpg

http://www.commercialintegrator.com/images/photos/Fenway.New_.Day_View_550_.jpg
http://www.commercialintegrator.com/images/photos/Fenway.New_Left_Field_550_.jpg

whtsox13
01-09-2011, 06:30 PM
The tinfoil hat crowd wants to believe this. The truth is that she lives on a farm far away from Chicago. This is why when she did her last contract, she got rid of night games, it was too tiring to get home after 1:00 a.m. after a night game.

Well, they did announce that they were going to hire an organist.

Without giving the suburb where she lives, it is near Deerfield. At least it was a few years back. That's not far from the Edens so it's not all that far from the ballpark.

Fenway
01-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Without giving the suburb where she lives, it is near Deerfield. At least it was a few years back. That's not far from the Edens so it's not all that far from the ballpark.

She turns 64 this year.....

You are talking 30-35 miles late at night.....

I suggested years ago the White Sox could have EASILY arranged a car service to pick her up and it could have been of no cost to the team ( trade off ) with Gene Honda happily saying Nancy Faust's transportantion provided by whomever.

Can we just take it at face value that she wants to RETIRE???? People do that you know.

soltrain21
01-09-2011, 06:53 PM

Correct. The scoreboard arrangement right now is a pretty big joke.

DumpJerry
01-09-2011, 07:35 PM

She turns 64 this year.....

You are talking 30-35 miles late at night.....

I suggested years ago the White Sox could have EASILY arranged a car service to pick her up and it could have been to no cost to the team ( trade off ) with Gene Honda happily saying Nancy Faust's transportantion provided by whomever.

Can we just take it at face value that she wants to RETIRE???? People do that you know.
Yup. Her farm is in Lake County. Night games end around 10:00-10:30. She was pulling into her home 1:00/1:30 in the morning.

Why do people resist the idea that she wanted to retire? It is not that difficult of a concept to grasp.

Ranger
01-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Yup. Her farm is in Lake County. Night games end around 10:00-10:30. She was pulling into her home 1:00/1:30 in the morning.

Why do people resist the idea that she wanted to retire? It is not that difficult of a concept to grasp.

Because it always has to be something sinister, right?

dickallen15
01-09-2011, 09:26 PM

She must be a real slow driver. Nancy was usually one of the first people out of the parking lot.

dickallen15
01-09-2011, 09:38 PM
I heard a couple months ago the new organist was going to be the guy who does Hawks games. Considering there is an overlap of seasons, I wonder if he'd only work weekends as well.

DumpJerry
01-09-2011, 09:53 PM
She must be a real slow driver. Nancy was usually one of the first people out of the parking lot.
Maybe she retired because of the stalkers.

It's a good hour to 1.5 hours to where she lives when the traffic is good, by the way.

Andy T Clown
01-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Not sure why they would try to "replace" Nancy, can't be done. She is the best. I hope she gets to be a special guest star for any game she wants when she gets the itch.

downstairs
01-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Well I'm glad they're hiring an organist. I hadn't heard that was 100% fact.

Now, will this person be full time?

Will the Sox be using less canned music and more organ?

I moved around the time Nancy was winding down... so I'm not 100% on the difference between games in the last few years vs. the way the Sox always did it back in the past.

When a home run is hit, will they always do na-na-hey-hey with organ 100% of the time?

gobears1987
01-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Is there any news on the other important off-season acquisition besides a bullpen arm that the Sox need? I heard a few months ago that organists were being auditioned, but is there any news on if the Sox are close to having a new organist? I don't know why, but I have a bad feeling that the Sox will just come up with an excuse to dump the organist all together. I hope I'm wrong.

DumpJerry
01-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Is there any news on the other important off-season acquisition besides a bullpen arm that the Sox need? I heard a few months ago that organists were being auditioned, but is there any news on if the Sox are close to having a new organist? I don't know why, but I have a bad feeling that the Sox will just come up with an excuse to dump the organist all together. I hope I'm wrong.
This thread was still on the first page, but:
:searchfirst:

gobears1987
01-16-2011, 09:42 AM
I heard a couple months ago the new organist was going to be the guy who does Hawks games. Considering there is an overlap of seasons, I wonder if he'd only work weekends as well.

I hope that's not true because Frank Pellico is a huge downgrade after having Nancy for so long. His anthem is good, but everything else is blah. He's also responsible for them not moving the famous Barton from Chicago Stadium into the United Center.

Fenway
01-16-2011, 09:43 AM
This thread was still on the first page, but:
:searchfirst:

The Red Sox organist says this man has been offered the job

http://www.stpatrick.org/assets/%5C1%5Cnews%5C20100610_Frank_Pellico.jpg

gobears1987
01-16-2011, 09:53 AM
I guess they will announce if that's true at Sox Fest then. Pellico is better than no organist, but damn I'd like someone new.

Fenway
01-16-2011, 09:59 AM
I guess they will announce if that's true at Sox Fest then. Pellico is better than no organist, but damn I'd like someone new.

If true it is a safe choice...

BainesHOF
01-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Great. Who's going to replace Frank? He looks like he's ready to retire.

SaltyPretzel
01-17-2011, 11:03 AM

He's terrible. :o:

TheOldRoman
01-17-2011, 05:37 PM
The Red Sox may give a clue on how to handle the ad signs

http://www.commercialintegrator.com/images/photos/CurrentFenway_Park_Signage_Night.jpg

http://www.commercialintegrator.com/images/photos/Fenway.New_.Day_View_550_.jpg
http://www.commercialintegrator.com/images/photos/Fenway.New_Left_Field_550_.jpgThe Red Sox did it right with the neon John Hancock and BOA signs. But the White Sox would not do that, they will just end up throwing a plastic tarp with an advertiser's logo over something like they did with the fundamentals deck.

Viva Medias B's
01-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Frank older than Nancy?

chisoxfanatic
01-22-2011, 09:20 PM

Holy crap! I just noticed this thread...Is this REALLY true? If so, that is a dream come true for me!!! I really loved Nancy, but Frank is such a great idea for her replacement, IMHO.

soxfanreggie
01-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Frank older than Nancy?

We have people who retire at 55 and some are in their 70s and haven't yet. While Nancy Retired, maybe he doesn't want to.

For Nancy, I wonder how many Sox games she would plan on going to each year. I wish they would have a Nancy Day each year where she would come back, but that might have been too hard to do with a replacement.