PDA

View Full Version : Bar/Restaurant on 35th Street Side of USCF

Pages : [1] 2

grv1974
01-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Does anybody know or have pictures of the progress on the bar/restaurant being built on the 35th street side of USCF?

roylestillman
01-05-2011, 09:51 PM
I was told that it was to open for the 2011 season in the building they built to replace the Gate 5 ramp. One of the TBD bartenders told me it was supposed to be a steakhouse style restaurant.

doublem23
01-05-2011, 10:00 PM
I was told that it was to open for the 2011 season in the building they built to replace the Gate 5 ramp. One of the TBD bartenders told me it was supposed to be a steakhouse style restaurant.

Nice

So is it going to be replacing all of Gate 5 including TBDs or in the empty retail space on 35t Street?

beasly213
01-05-2011, 11:31 PM
I haven't seen any work being done and I drive past it every day.

FireMariotti
01-06-2011, 03:50 AM
So this is most likely a dumb question but.... does TBD mean To Be Determined? I never got an answer to this one.

roylestillman
01-06-2011, 07:35 AM
So this is most likely a dumb question but.... does TBD mean To Be Determined? I never got an answer to this one.

They said it was going into the space along 35th. TBD would stay. I assume TBD was a not so inside joke on the fact that they hadn't swung the sponsorship deal on the place. I grew to love that place, but I hope they take it beyond a backyard graduation party with the rented tables and porta potties.

dickallen15
01-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Speaking of sponsorships, anyone notice the Jim Beam Club is now the Home Plate Club?

DonnieDarko
01-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Speaking of sponsorships, anyone notice the Jim Beam Club is now the Home Plate Club?

Really? So they lost another sponsorship or something? Damn. -_-

Cat Thief
01-06-2011, 10:23 AM

They want a huge amount of money from Beam to keep that name up there,twice the amount of what the Yankees are charging for basically the same deal. The sponsorship is not paying off. Money to be better spent elsewhere.

JoeyCora28
01-06-2011, 10:57 AM
I used to work for Beam Global out in Deerfield. Even a couple of years ago, they were pulling back from a lot of sponsorship deals, such as their Indy and NASCAR racing team sponsorships. So, this doesn't really surprise me that much.

ewokpelts
01-06-2011, 12:17 PM
They want a huge amount of money from Beam to keep that name up there,twice the amount of what the Yankees are charging for basically the same deal. The sponsorship is not paying off. Money to be better spent elsewhere.the yankees have THREE levels of premium offerings. what they call the jim beam club at yankee stadium is actually the least desirable of the three. at least according to the yankees 2009 premium seating brochure i'm looking at.

the jim beam club at the cell is in possibly the best viewing area of the park aside from the scout seats. i can see why the sox are charching what they are.

Cat Thief
01-06-2011, 01:21 PM
It will be interesting to see who doughs out the $500,000 for the sponsorship and who is going to remind me to drink responsibly without the Jim Beam commercials on the big screen.

ewokpelts
01-06-2011, 05:25 PM
It will be interesting to see who doughs out the $500,000 for the sponsorship and who is going to remind me to drink responsibly without the Jim Beam commercials on the big screen.miller will have the "enjoy resposibly" ads, and the home plate club will get a sponsor after 2011, if not sooner. it may not be a spirits product though.

DumpJerry
01-06-2011, 05:44 PM
miller will have the "enjoy resposibly" ads, and the home plate club will get a sponsor after 2011, if not sooner. it may not be a spirits product though.
TD Ameritrade.

kittle42
01-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Here's an idea, White Sox - build the damn things where people can see them and be attracted to come to the park simply by driving by. Thank you.

DumpJerry
01-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Here's an idea, White Sox - build the damn things where people can see them and be attracted to come to the park simply by driving by. Thank you.
:scratch:

kittle42
01-06-2011, 11:15 PM
:scratch:

Like TBDs - driving by the stadium, you can't even see that thing.

Brian26
01-06-2011, 11:22 PM

There's not much to see though. It's just a funky outdoor beer garden that's fenced in with wrought-iron fence and a couple of plants. :redneck

DumpJerry
01-06-2011, 11:52 PM
People go to The Urinal to partake in non-baseball activities-hence Captain Morgan Club is outside the park on the street. People go to Comiskey to see a baseball game. Nobody is going to walk by with no intention of attending that night's game and then seeing TBDs and thinking "hey! I need to be in there!"

Anyway, when the weather is nice, TBDs is a pretty crowded place, so it's not having trouble drawing them in.

ChiSoxGirl
01-07-2011, 08:38 AM
People go to The Urinal to partake in non-baseball activities-hence Captain Morgan Club is outside the park on the street. People go to Comiskey to see a baseball game. Nobody is going to walk by with no intention of attending that night's game and then seeing TBDs and thinking "hey! I need to be in there!"

Anyway, when the weather is nice, TBDs is a pretty crowded place, so it's not having trouble drawing them in.

This. TBDs also served as a meeting place for me & my friends multiple times throughout the season. It's convenient, easy to find, and the atmosphere isn't too bad, either. :smile:

ewokpelts
01-07-2011, 12:19 PM
TD Ameritrade.i seriously douby tommy boy ricketts will give jerry sponsorship money

sox102
01-07-2011, 03:18 PM
My company bid the work for the interior of the restaurant, but didn't get it. It will be a Blue Star Grill, and has Gibson's name on the architectural drawings.
We literally, yesterday, just got the drawings for the additional work to the East of Gate 5 and that will be the White Sox Team Store.

sox102
01-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Rendering of addition from parking lot.

sox102
01-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Rendering of addition from 35th Street.

sox102
01-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Rendering of entrance to addition from 100 Level.

sox102
01-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Rendering of interior view of Team Store.

beasly213
01-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Looks nice.
Cool stuff.

bestkosher
01-07-2011, 04:10 PM
The rendering reminds me alot of the Fan shop at the Arizona Diamondbacks Stadium.

hawkjt
01-07-2011, 04:23 PM
My company bid the work for the interior of the restaurant, but didn't get it. It will be a Blue Star Grill, and has Gibson's name on the architectural drawings.
We literally, yesterday, just got the drawings for the additional work to the East of Gate 5 and that will be the White Sox Team Store.

thanks for the drawings...looks cool.
So the resturant will be to the west of TBD's inside that glassed-in space?

kittle42
01-07-2011, 04:35 PM
The rendering reminds me alot of the Fan shop at the Arizona Diamondbacks Stadium.

And St. Louis.

And Minnesota.

And Milwaukee.

I think these things may be cookie-cutter!

Foulke You
01-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks for posting the pix. Looks pretty good, especially from the 35th street side. Any pix of the restaurant exterior yet?

MeteorsSox4367
01-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Like the gift shop rendering.

Hmmm...wonder if I'll ever spend some of my money there.

I also liked in the rendering on the right side there is a photo of a group of players gathered and one of them happens to be a certain No. 33 from the past. :D:

DumpJerry
01-07-2011, 05:46 PM
i seriously douby tommy boy ricketts will give jerry sponsorship money
That one by me whizzed right over your head, didn't it?

bridgeportcopper
01-07-2011, 08:37 PM

Dolphins stadium had almost identical store as well.

Brian26
01-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I also liked in the rendering on the right side there is a photo of a group of players gathered and one of them happens to be a certain No. 33 from the past. :D:

That's the Sox World Series celebration in Houston (unless you're being sarcastic and already knew that).

Quentin08
01-07-2011, 09:55 PM
What are the chances of the restaurant, the gift shop, and the 35th Street Metra station all being open by opening night?

Hitmen77
01-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks for posting the link. I look forward to seeing the place (though my wallet might not want to see it:redneck).

doublem23
01-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I just hope this doesn't spell doom for Grandstand's.

Otherwise, neat.

DumpJerry
01-07-2011, 10:41 PM
What are the chances of the restaurant, the gift shop, and the 35th Street Metra station all being open by opening night?

You mean Opening Day?

I just hope this doesn't spell doom for Grandstand's.

Otherwise, neat.
It won't. You know why? Grandstand will still be less expensive for the same stuff and they are not bound by MLB licensing, so you can get creative with your baseball jersey lettering there. Also, Grandstand has a diverse inventory with other Chicago teams and the Cubs.

doublem23
01-07-2011, 10:49 PM
You mean Opening Day?

It won't. You know why? Grandstand will still be less expensive for the same stuff and they are not bound by MLB licensing, so you can get creative with your baseball jersey lettering there. Also, Grandstand has a diverse inventory with other Chicago teams and the Cubs.

A) I thought we had established Opening Day was a night game this year.

B) Oh, I know, Grandstand will still be able to undercut the Sox but this has to cut into their business a little, right? Its basically the exact same concept store moving in a few blocks down the road.

DumpJerry
01-07-2011, 11:02 PM
A) I thought we had established Opening Day was a night game this year.
Well, when it is 1:10 p.m. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/y2011/2011_schedule.pdf) here, it is night somewhere. You're thinking of the thread where someone saw something that referred to April 7th as "Opening Night," but once the time table schedule came out, that was cleared up.

doublem23
01-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Well, when it is 1:10 p.m. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/y2011/2011_schedule.pdf) here, it is night somewhere. You're thinking of the thread where someone saw something that referred to April 7th as "Opening Night," but once the time table schedule came out, that was cleared up.

Yes, the interactive schedule at whitesox.com doesn't have times up yet.

ghostface36
01-08-2011, 07:18 AM
lol grandstand is cheaper then some other places? i love the place but its mucho $$$

dickallen15
01-08-2011, 08:19 AM
If you look at the Split Season plans, that's where the times were listed, and now most aren't.

DumpJerry
01-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Game times and dates are not 100% set until March, so it seems that the color schedule is the only one that has times. I also asked my rep about Opening Day and he confirmed it is a day game.

DumpJerry
01-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Does anybody know or have pictures of the progress on the bar/restaurant being built on the 35th street side of USCF?
Drove by there today. Did not get a pic, but there is something going on. The windows are papered over so you can't see inside (they've never been papered over before). There wasn't a work permit on the windows, but it might be on the Parking Lot side.

ewokpelts
01-10-2011, 04:45 PM
What are the chances of the restaurant, the gift shop, and the 35th Street Metra station all being open by opening night?unlikely. there has been almost no work done in that site as of now.

the metra will be open shortly, i assume.

WhiteSox5187
01-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Drove by there today. Did not get a pic, but there is something going on. The windows are papered over so you can't see inside (they've never been papered over before). There wasn't a work permit on the windows, but it might be on the Parking Lot side.

They had the doors open today so I got to peak inside, it looked a lot like the entrance did except that the floors were all torn up.

Red Barchetta
01-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Is there any additional talk or discussions pertaining to a new grand entrance in the LF Corner? It appears all the proposed development will be across 35th street in the former parking lots.

DumpJerry
01-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Is there any additional talk or discussions pertaining to a new grand entrance in the LF Corner? It appears all the proposed development will be across 35th street in the former parking lots.
Well, first they need to move the LF walls in.........

Red Barchetta
01-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Well, first they need to move the LF walls in.........

I thought the original plan was the removal of the outside LF corner ramps in favor of a new entrance? I don't see why you would need to move the LF walls to install a new entrance. The original plans also had the Fundamentals on the outside of the outfield concourse vs. the inside, so there is room available. Not sure if they scrapped the new entrance completely in favor of the north side development.

Too bad, because that's the side of the ballpark that most people see on a regular basis and it would be nice to have a secondary grand entrance especially now that they will have both L and Metra commuters coming in from that direction.

TheOldRoman
01-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I thought the original plan was the removal of the outside LF corner ramps in favor of a new entrance? I don't see why you would need to move the LF walls to install a new entrance. The original plans also had the Fundamentals on the outside of the outfield concourse vs. the inside, so there is room available. Not sure if they scrapped the new entrance completely in favor of the north side development.

Too bad, because that's the side of the ballpark that most people see on a regular basis and it would be nice to have a secondary grand entrance especially now that they will have both L and Metra commuters coming in from that direction.Ignore the moving the LF wall in part, that is just his attempt at a joke. A few pics popped up several years back which showed a redone entrance in the LF corner which contained a big shop and possibly other space for a restaurant or hall of fame. That pic showed the fundamentals deck and new roof a few years before they were built, along with an upperdeck area in RF which was never built. This also showed the removal of the 3rd base upperdeck ramps, half of which was done recently.

I had heard the Sox scrapped the plans for the big entrance with shops in the LF corner, but maybe they will revisit it. It was posted on here that the architectural life of the ramps is under 25 years. They will have to tear down and rebuild the existing ramps within the next few years. If they did remove the lone upperdeck ramp on the thirdbase side, you would think they would have to redo the LF ramp to handle more traffic.

Thome25
01-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Can someone please take pics of this construction for all of us out-of-towners?

THANKS in advance!!

grv1974
01-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Ignore the moving the LF wall in part, that is just his attempt at a joke. A few pics popped up several years back which showed a redone entrance in the LF corner which contained a big shop and possibly other space for a restaurant or hall of fame. That pic showed the fundamentals deck and new roof a few years before they were built, along with an upperdeck area in RF which was never built. This also showed the removal of the 3rd base upperdeck ramps, half of which was done recently.

I had heard the Sox scrapped the plans for the big entrance with shops in the LF corner, but maybe they will revisit it. It was posted on here that the architectural life of the ramps is under 25 years. They will have to tear down and rebuild the existing ramps within the next few years. If they did remove the lone upperdeck ramp on the thirdbase side, you would think they would have to redo the LF ramp to handle more traffic.

If they change them within the next 5 years, I wonder if they'll make the new walk ramps look similar to something like at Camden Yards (where they're enclosed, yet are attached to the outside of the building and made to match the rest of the facade). In our case, they could put arches on the facade.

beasly213
01-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Can someone please take pics of this construction for all of us out-of-towners?

THANKS in advance!!

There is nothing to take pictures of. It looks exactly the same as it did at the end of the year... at least to the outside viewer. There are tarps up so you can't see anything going on.

Red Barchetta
01-11-2011, 04:41 PM
If they change them within the next 5 years, I wonder if they'll make the new walk ramps look similar to something like at Camden Yards (where they're enclosed, yet are attached to the outside of the building and made to match the rest of the facade). In our case, they could put arches on the facade.

US Cellular is a nice looking ballpark, however the problem is you can't see it with the ugly outside ramps in the way.

If they do need to revisit the ramps due to their original construction timeline, I hope they seriously consider alternatives in design. I would love to see a more welcoming entrance from the Dan Ryan. Something that could help sell the brand and ballpark even on off days and during the off season.

beasly213
01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
US Cellular is a nice looking ballpark, however the problem is you can't see it with the ugly outside ramps in the way.

If they do need to revisit the ramps due to their original construction timeline, I hope they seriously consider alternatives in design. I would love to see a more welcoming entrance from the Dan Ryan. Something that could help sell the brand and ballpark even on off days and during the off season.

Do you honestly think that changing the outside ramps will entice people to come to the game who otherwise wouldn't be coming?

I can't imagine someone driving by on the Dan Ryan and see a new outside to the park and say "Ohh that looks pretty I think I'm going to the game tonight now!"

Thome25
01-11-2011, 05:52 PM
There is nothing to take pictures of. It looks exactly the same as it did at the end of the year... at least to the outside viewer. There are tarps up so you can't see anything going on.

Well I haven't even seen what it looked like at the end of last season so anything would be new to me....:D:

Red Barchetta
01-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Do you honestly think that changing the outside ramps will entice people to come to the game who otherwise wouldn't be coming?

I can't imagine someone driving by on the Dan Ryan and see a new outside to the park and say "Ohh that looks pretty I think I'm going to the game tonight now!"

Funny, but that's exactly what the Tribune marketing company did when the took a 70-year old out of date ballpark and started marketing it as the "Shrine" to everything baseball.

Yes, I do believe an improved entrance near the Dan Ryan would attract more fans. Baseball is like any other product. You have the core fans/customers and you have the casual "I'm just looking" fans/customers. The Tribune figured out how to attract those fans which resulted in additional revenues. Unfortunately for Cub fans, they didn't know how to invest those funds into building a WS winning team.

beasly213
01-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Funny, but that's exactly what the Tribune marketing company did when the took a 70-year old out of date ballpark and started marketing it as the "Shrine" to everything baseball.

Yes, I do believe an improved entrance near the Dan Ryan would attract more fans. Baseball is like any other product. You have the core fans/customers and you have the casual "I'm just looking" fans/customers. The Tribune figured out how to attract those fans which resulted in additional revenues. Unfortunately for Cub fans, they didn't know how to invest those funds into building a WS winning team.

The Tribune capitalized on the circus that is the outside of Wrigley. It isn't the outside structure of the ball park that makes people flock there it's the atmosphere around the park that flows inside of it.

You take Wrigley and put it in Bridgeport you wouldn't have people flocking to the park if there wasn't a good team there.

Red Barchetta
01-11-2011, 07:39 PM
The Tribune capitalized on the circus that is the outside of Wrigley. It isn't the outside structure of the ball park that makes people flock there it's the atmosphere around the park that flows inside of it.

You take Wrigley and put it in Bridgeport you wouldn't have people flocking to the park if there wasn't a good team there.

Exactly and that's why an improved entrance off the Dan Ryan would help build upon the new atmosphere that the SOX are trying to create and develop north of 35th street. It's all connected. Unlike the Cubs, the SOX don't have a ballpark that is nestled into an existing cozy neighborhood so they are trying to create a more exciting atmosphere, thus the restaurant and development project.

The Tribune company was smart enough to take advantage of a trendy, growing neighborhood. The previous Cub owners had the same real estate to work with and never capitalized on it. It's all in the marketing. Wrigley changed from the rundown, old, antiquated ball park with no lights of the 70s into a trendy, happening hot spot to watch baseball, regardless if the Cubs won or lost beer garden of the 80s (and beyond).

beasly213
01-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Exactly and that's why an improved entrance off the Dan Ryan would help build upon the new atmosphere that the SOX are trying to create and develop north of 35th street. It's all connected. Unlike the Cubs, the SOX don't have a ballpark that is nestled into an existing cozy neighborhood so they are trying to create a more exciting atmosphere, thus the restaurant and development project.

The Tribune company was smart enough to take advantage of a trendy, growing neighborhood. The previous Cub owners had the same real estate to work with and never capitalized on it. It's all in the marketing. Wrigley changed from the rundown, old, antiquated ball park with no lights of the 70s into a trendy, happening hot spot to watch baseball, regardless if the Cubs won or lost beer garden of the 80s (and beyond).

It's still a rundown ball park surrounded by fun bars and restaurants and the help of being on WGN when the Sox were only on cable.

If the Sox rebuilt the outside of the ballpark to look nicer I think that would be great but I don't think it's going to make anyone come to the game who otherwise wouldn't.

doublem23
01-11-2011, 08:20 PM

That's only 1/2 true, IMO, while the surrounding neighborhood around Wrigley is absolutely amazing and a big reason for the Cubs' success, 1/2 the reason people go there is for Wrigley itself. Drive up Clark on a Cubs gameday and you'll see giant tour buses lined up with people from all over the Midwest and sometimes, country, who have come to see a game at Wrigley Field, which has been ingrained as part of the "classic American experience."

Brian26
01-11-2011, 08:50 PM
That's only 1/2 true, IMO, while the surrounding neighborhood around Wrigley is absolutely amazing and a big reason for the Cubs' success, 1/2 the reason people go there is for Wrigley itself. Drive up Clark on a Cubs gameday and you'll see giant tour buses lined up with people from all over the Midwest and sometimes, country, who have come to see a game at Wrigley Field, which has been ingrained as part of the "classic American experience."

I think if you were to pick up that ballpark and place it at 35th and Shields or in the middle of a parking lot somewhere in Schaumburg, it wouldn't be anywhere close to the draw it is today. The ballpark is not defined by anything on the inside, including the ivy or the scoreboard. The ballpark is defined by what is behind the outfield walls.

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Bridgeport is not Wrigville BUT it has gotten better. Fans are either lazy or unaware. 33rd has good places (Turtles/Cork/Parkside). 31st has Rocky's. Then there is Wings which is farther but I think there is a shuttle now I have no idea I don't go on game-days. The point is there ARE places before the team does anything. I know it's not what the Northside is like but I really hope fans are bitching about moving from 35th or the 37th lots to go 33rd.

DumpJerry
01-11-2011, 09:44 PM
You guys are nuts. There is a very nice entrance from the Dan Ryan/east. It's called Gate 5.

But then I do remember seeing some people with Schaumburg vehicle stickers pulling up to the park and then looking at the gate by the players' lot (the ramp some posters want dolled up) and saying, "Nah. Not a nice entrance, let's go home."

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Maybe it's just me and how baseball is my life but even still to me it's wrong/annoying that people cannot enjoy just the game! I mean USCF is nice I really like it. Could it be nicer? Yes lol I have been in the "hidden" new NYY stadium but the fact is every year people complain about the other things about the field and how Wrigley is. I am sorry for thr rant but the team means the most and it's not like the Cell blows.

doublem23
01-11-2011, 10:27 PM
I think if you were to pick up that ballpark and place it at 35th and Shields or in the middle of a parking lot somewhere in Schaumburg, it wouldn't be anywhere close to the draw it is today. The ballpark is not defined by anything on the inside, including the ivy or the scoreboard. The ballpark is defined by what is behind the outfield walls.

Obviously, the neighborhood is a big part of the draw, but every game I've been to there have been plenty of people who don't partake in the festivities around the park; old folks trying desperately to grab a small piece of "Americana," families with small kids taking in the game. I know we hate Wrigley, but that's because for anyone whose lived here for a while doesn't find it special. Just about everyone I know whose not from here, if they come visit Chicago in the summer, one of the things they always want to do is see a game at Wrigley. The park itself is a draw.

kittle42
01-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Obviously, the neighborhood is a big part of the draw, but every game I've been to there have been plenty of people who don't partake in the festivities around the park; old folks trying desperately to grab a small piece of "Americana," families with small kids taking in the game. I know we hate Wrigley, but that's because for anyone whose lived here for a while doesn't find it special. Just about everyone I know whose not from here, if they come visit Chicago in the summer, one of the things they always want to do is see a game at Wrigley. The park itself is a draw.

And, literally every day, people are out front taking photos of the stadium and themselves in front of it. I live right there. Trust me.

Brian26
01-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Obviously, the neighborhood is a big part of the draw, but every game I've been to there have been plenty of people who don't partake in the festivities around the park;

I think you're missing my point, though. I'm saying that the allure of the park, minus the ivy and scoreboard, is the view of the houses, apartment buildings, trees, lake and surrounding neighborhood behind the outfield walls.

Take Wrigley out of that neighborhood and put it at 35th and Shields. Keep the interior EXACTLY the same, but point homeplate southeast. Behind left field all you see is the Dan Ryan. Behind right-center, all you see is the school and the parking lots. Again, keep the inside exactly the same. Is it the same experience? I bet it's not. I'm not even bringing the bars and restaurants into the equation. I think the park is defined by the neighborhood it is in.

GoSox2K3
01-12-2011, 12:03 AM
How many days until pitchers and catchers report? All this talk about Wrigley Field in the Sox Clubhouse tells me we're indeed in the depths of the offseason.

I think you're missing my point, though. I'm saying that the allure of the park, minus the ivy and scoreboard, is the view of the houses, apartment buildings, trees, lake and surrounding neighborhood behind the outfield walls.

Take Wrigley out of that neighborhood and put it at 35th and Shields. Keep the interior EXACTLY the same, but point homeplate southeast. Behind left field all you see is the Dan Ryan. Behind right-center, all you see is the school and the parking lots. Again, keep the inside exactly the same. Is it the same experience? I bet it's not. I'm not even bringing the bars and restaurants into the equation. I think the park is defined by the neighborhood it is in.

In fact, there actually was an old time ballpark at 35th and Shields once upon a time and, while it was beloved by Sox fans, it was never a tourist attraction.

Red Barchetta
01-12-2011, 09:22 AM

I agree that Wrigley's allure would not be near as strong if it was located anywhere else, which is my point about the grand entrance idea that the SOX floated a few years ago prior to the US Cellular renovation.

If this type of construction and renovation did not attract more fans, than why have the SOX done it? Obviously the renovations have had a positive effect on ticket sales and that's why the SOX want to continue to develop the immediate area surrounding the ballpark in order to meet the demands of the modern fanbase and their entertainment dollars.

My point about the grand entrance is since the SOX are developing the area immediately next to the LF corner and since they now have both the L and Metra station access and since the existing exterior ramps apparently have a 25-year life span, I wonder whether all these factors will come into play and the SOX will re-look at building a new, more inviting, entrance to the "rear end" of the ballpark.

doublem23
01-12-2011, 09:35 AM

Of course it's not, but do the reverse and put the old New Comiskey down at Clark & Addison, before the renovations when it was an ugly, sterile ballmall and the results would likely be very much the same. Yeah, the neighborhood would still be great and you'd feed a lot of traffic off that but the "whole experience" that people crave wouldn't be the same. You're seriously underselling the bricks, the ivy, the old-timey scoreboard. Those are always acknowledged as some of the park and neighborhood's defining features.

Wrigley and Wrigleyville exist in pretty good cohesion together. To say its draw is all because of one and none of the other is selling one short.

ewokpelts
01-12-2011, 09:36 AM

If they do need to revisit the ramps due to their original construction timeline, I hope they seriously consider alternatives in design. I would love to see a more welcoming entrance from the Dan Ryan. Something that could help sell the brand and ballpark even on off days and during the off season.ramps arent going anywhere. there's NO WAY they can redesign the facility to put the ramps anywhere else without building a new stadium. PERIOD.

I think what Gate 5's transformation is the future of the other ramps. Gate 6 MIGHT be transformed, but i doubt it. And Gate 2/3 are facing the tracks. No need to make that "pretty".

ewokpelts
01-12-2011, 09:41 AM

Yes, I do believe an improved entrance near the Dan Ryan would attract more fans. Baseball is like any other product. You have the core fans/customers and you have the casual "I'm just looking" fans/customers. The Tribune figured out how to attract those fans which resulted in additional revenues. Unfortunately for Cub fans, they didn't know how to invest those funds into building a WS winning team.a cubs game is an all-day affair for suburbanites and transplants. a sox game has always been "get in, watch the game, get out" experience.
I work at night, and my building is right by northwestern/olgilve station and not far from union station. you'd be suprised how many cub fans are still out and about at 10pm when there was a 1:20 start, regardless if it's a weekend or weekday game. They hit downtown as early as 9am and dont leave until the last train out it seems.

sox parking lots are 1/2 empty 15 minutes after the last out.

ewokpelts
01-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Obviously, the neighborhood is a big part of the draw, but every game I've been to there have been plenty of people who don't partake in the festivities around the park; old folks trying desperately to grab a small piece of "Americana," families with small kids taking in the game. I know we hate Wrigley, but that's because for anyone whose lived here for a while doesn't find it special. Just about everyone I know whose not from here, if they come visit Chicago in the summer, one of the things they always want to do is see a game at Wrigley. The park itself is a draw.thank johnny mccub and wgn for that. fenway dosent get nearly as much love from national audiences as wrigley does, and i think that's 100% the result of the cubs being on a superstation.

ewokpelts
01-12-2011, 09:53 AM
I agree that Wrigley's allure would not be near as strong if it was located anywhere else, which is my point about the grand entrance idea that the SOX floated a few years ago prior to the US Cellular renovation.

If this type of construction and renovation did not attract more fans, than why have the SOX done it? Obviously the renovations have had a positive effect on ticket sales and that's why the SOX want to continue to develop the immediate area surrounding the ballpark in order to meet the demands of the modern fanbase and their entertainment dollars.

My point about the grand entrance is since the SOX are developing the area immediately next to the LF corner and since they now have both the L and Metra station access and since the existing exterior ramps apparently have a 25-year life span, I wonder whether all these factors will come into play and the SOX will re-look at building a new, more inviting, entrance to the "rear end" of the ballpark.it's done to increase REVENUE. a bar outside gate 5's parking lot facing said parking lot and not the street is designed to get people in said parking lot to spend thier money on thier way into the park. a bar and grill at the same site with entrances on both ends is designed to do the same.

most of the rennovations(minus the 600 seats chopped off) were designed to help being in new fan dollars as well as sponsorship money. the fundamentals deck has NEVER been without a title sponsor. and the fan deck was designed to be rented out for large scale groups, and it too now has a title sponsor. the former jim beam club was installed to help sell a super premium ticket package to high dollar clients. same as the scout seats. both those seating areas have multi-year STH agreements which bring in money to fianance the ball club. the bullpen bar and patio areas were rennovated to keep getting paying customers through the doors.

the upper deck being reduced in capacity was done mainly to "improve" the fan experience. everything else is designed to help the sox make money.

TheOldRoman
01-12-2011, 10:27 AM
ramps arent going anywhere. there's NO WAY they can redesign the facility to put the ramps anywhere else without building a new stadium. PERIOD.

I think what Gate 5's transformation is the future of the other ramps. Gate 6 MIGHT be transformed, but i doubt it. And Gate 2/3 are facing the tracks. No need to make that "pretty".As you said, the half of gate 5 which was re-done shows how the new ramps will look. The half of gate 5 they did eliminated the upperdeck entrance. Based on the old sketches that popped up on here, it isn't out of the realm of possibility to think that they might do the same thing on the other half of gate 5. If they did eliminate both upperdeck entrances on the 3B side, they obviously would have to expand gate 6 (and keep it open all the time).

As for gates 2 and 3, they obviously aren't going to make them "attraction" gates, but they will still look drastically different than they do now. The design of the current gates is really poor, so whatever they build isn't going to look like what is there now.

Red Barchetta
01-12-2011, 01:45 PM
it's done to increase REVENUE. a bar outside gate 5's parking lot facing said parking lot and not the street is designed to get people in said parking lot to spend thier money on thier way into the park. a bar and grill at the same site with entrances on both ends is designed to do the same.

most of the rennovations(minus the 600 seats chopped off) were designed to help being in new fan dollars as well as sponsorship money. the fundamentals deck has NEVER been without a title sponsor. and the fan deck was designed to be rented out for large scale groups, and it too now has a title sponsor. the former jim beam club was installed to help sell a super premium ticket package to high dollar clients. same as the scout seats. both those seating areas have multi-year STH agreements which bring in money to fianance the ball club. the bullpen bar and patio areas were rennovated to keep getting paying customers through the doors.

the upper deck being reduced in capacity was done mainly to "improve" the fan experience. everything else is designed to help the sox make money.

Agreed, and the you need to increase the amount of fans to effectively increase revenue. Corporate sponsorships and $8.00 beer goes only so far if you're continually selling to the same core fans and not expanding the fanbase. None of this would be happening if the SOX hadn't improved attendance over the years.

The fact that they cut off the top rows of the upper deck did improve the fan experience because the ballpark felt less empty and sterile. They weren't losing much by getting rid of seats no one sat in. Green seats are no better than blue seats, however they look better, fit a little nicer and add to the overall new "feel" of the ballpark.

Winning always helps, however we all know that the SOX had a better winning record than the other Chicago team over the past 10-15 years, so then need to compete in the market by improving the overall fan experience.

ewokpelts
01-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Agreed, and the you need to increase the amount of fans to effectively increase revenue. Corporate sponsorships and $8.00 beer goes only so far if you're continually selling to the same core fans and not expanding the fanbase. None of this would be happening if the SOX hadn't improved attendance over the years.

The fact that they cut off the top rows of the upper deck did improve the fan experience because the ballpark felt less empty and sterile. They weren't losing much by getting rid of seats no one sat in. Green seats are no better than blue seats, however they look better, fit a little nicer and add to the overall new "feel" of the ballpark.

Winning always helps, however we all know that the SOX had a better winning record than the other Chicago team over the past 10-15 years, so then need to compete in the market by improving the overall fan experience.
you missed my point entirely.

and btw, the sox have drawn over 2 million fans every year since 2005. they (and the sponsors) are getting the fan dollars. a pretty entrance dosent help or hurt.

Red Barchetta
01-12-2011, 06:21 PM
you missed my point entirely.

and btw, the sox have drawn over 2 million fans every year since 2005. they (and the sponsors) are getting the fan dollars. a pretty entrance dosent help or hurt.

What was the attendance 1995-2000 in comparison? The pretty green seats, new roof, fandeck, Fundamentals, redecorated concourse, enclosed upper deck concourse and stained concrete have helped draw more fans.

More fans produce more revenue, not the other way around. You have to get the butts in the seats before they spend the money.

PalehosePlanet
01-13-2011, 12:31 AM

The previous ownership group had no chance at capitalizing because the area did not start to gentrify until the mid '80's. Not to mention that cable TV didn't boom until the mid '80's. The Trib simply lucked into this perfect storm; while the Sox, of course, thanks to Einhorn's jumping the gun on pay TV, went underground.

I remember going to a Cubs game back in '82 when my friend and I were chased from attempting to get into our car after a game by a gang called "The Wilton Boys." This happened on --- you guessed it! --- Wilton Avenue, and we had to hang out at the liquor store on the corner of Addison and Wilton (yes, it was there even back then) for almost an hour until the coast was clear.

Wrigley was a dump in a ****ty neighborhood with a perennially ****ty team to boot. No way the previous ownership could have marketed that.

ewokpelts
01-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Do you go to Sox Park for the ramps, or the game?

DumpJerry
01-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Do you go to Sox Park for the ramps, or the game?
The ramps. They are totally rad with a skateboard.

ewokpelts
01-13-2011, 09:46 AM
The ramps. They are totally rad with a skateboard.:happybday

TheOldRoman
01-13-2011, 09:51 AM
I remember going to a Cubs game back in '82 when my friend and I were chased from attempting to get into our car after a game by a gang called "The Wilton Boys." This happened on --- you guessed it! --- Wilton Avenue, and we had to hang out at the liquor store on the corner of Addison and Wilton (yes, it was there even back then) for almost an hour until the coast was clear.
At least you weren't accosted by the Van Buren Boys.

http://elizabethholcombe.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451982269e2010536cdd892970b-500wi

DumpJerry
01-13-2011, 09:56 AM
The previous ownership group had no chance at capitalizing because the area did not start to gentrify until the mid '80's. Not to mention that cable TV didn't boom until the mid '80's. The Trib simply lucked into this perfect storm; while the Sox, of course, thanks to Einhorn's jumping the gun on pay TV, went underground.

Wrigley was a dump in a ****ty neighborhood with a perennially ****ty team to boot. No way the previous ownership could have marketed that.
One night, two asswipes tried to carjack me on Wilton by having one of them jump in front of my car, pretending to get hit. I called 911 and when I got out, the guy who was "hit" by me jumped up and ran off when I got out of my car (half the neighborhood was coming out of their homes when because they heard the brakes screech). His friend stood there looking at me and then ran off when he heard the sirens.

dickallen15
01-13-2011, 09:58 AM
My buddy and I always wanted to get those shoes with the pop out rollerblades and play roller derby spinning each other out of the turns.

Red Barchetta
01-13-2011, 12:11 PM

Agreed. The ramps. Definitely the ramps! Best in baseball! :D:

Red Barchetta
01-13-2011, 12:13 PM
One night, two asswipes tried to carjack me on Wilton by having one of them jump in front of my car, pretending to get hit. I called 911 and when I got out, the guy who was "hit" by me jumped up and ran off when I got out of my car (half the neighborhood was coming out of their homes when because they heard the brakes screech). His friend stood there looking at me and then ran off when he heard the sirens.

How about the guy a few years back who got shot outside Wrigley during the aftergame parking traffic circus. It was right around the time the father/son idiots attacked the Royals 1B coach and it seemed the media swept it under the rug.

I used to tease my Cub-fan friends when they asked me if I wanted to go to a game at Wrigley. I told them no way, I don't want to get shot! :cool:

Foulke You
01-13-2011, 04:27 PM
How about the guy a few years back who got shop outside Wrigley during the aftergame parking traffic circus. It was right around the time the father/son idiots attacked the Royals 1B coach and it seemed the media swept it under the rug.

I used to tease my Cub-fan friends when they asked me if I wanted to go to a game at Wrigley. I told them no way, I don't want to get shot! :cool:
This post reminded me of one of my favorite WSI photo tags:
:giantsnail

billcissell
01-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Sox parking lots are 1/2 empty 15 minutes after the game ends?

I can't see how the Sox lots would be 1/2 empty when you sit in the car and barely move for the first 15-20 minutes. Getting out of those lots is terrible, even when the game draws maybe 20,000. It seems like there are only a few exits for several thousand cars.

doublem23
01-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Sox parking lots are 1/2 empty 15 minutes after the game ends?

I can't see how the Sox lots would be 1/2 empty when you sit in the car and barely move for the first 15-20 minutes. Getting out of those lots is terrible, even when the game draws maybe 20,000. It seems like there are only a few exits for several thousand cars.

I don't know what you expect when thousands of cars are all trying to leave at the same time. The Sox lot situation is really no better or worse than any other pro sports park I've been to, I mean, you just can let all those cars on the street and release utter chaos on to the neighborhood's infrastructure.

That said, the lots really aren't that bad. I can usually get out in a few minutes. What's worse is the way the expressway backs up due to the construction on the Eisenhower.

ewokpelts
01-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Lot E is pretty fast moving, especially if you go west through the neighborhood. Same as Lot F.

I park on 38th/parnell, and by the time we get into the lot from the disgusting ramps, the lot is 1/2 empty, and my seats were in sec 158!

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-17-2011, 01:21 PM
I miss living on the south side - exit towards 39th street, take Pershing to Western Blvd, and head south - home in 20 minutes. I now try to snake through BP to get on 55 to avoid the Eisenhower.

Lot wise, I feel if you park south of the park it's easier to get out but heading north is clogged. Head to the BSB and tip one and give it 20 minutes. :D:

Hitmen77
01-22-2011, 11:07 AM
I don't know if it was already mentioned in this thread, but the new restaurant on 35th St. will be called "Comiskey Bar and Grill". (see very end of this article)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0122-bits-white-sox-fest-chica20110121,0,5431062.story

Brian26
01-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Yes, going to be called "Comiskey's"

ewokpelts
01-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Looks nice.

The restaurant area is slated to open at 11am every game day.

The long term goal I've been told is to have it open year round, but it'll start as just on game days.

eriqjaffe
01-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Yes, going to be called "Comiskey's"Finally, something cheap around the ballpark.

SephClone89
01-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Finally, something cheap around the ballpark.

:cool:

chisoxfanatic
01-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Looks nice.

The restaurant area is slated to open at 11am every game day.

The long term goal I've been told is to have it open year round, but it'll start as just on game days.
Like the Hawks do, I think it would be great for the Sox to organize road watch parties for some of the big games during the season and have them at that place...That could make for good use of the building during the times the Sox are not at home...Then, during the offseason, maybe they could have Hawks/Bears/Bulls road watch parties!

DumpJerry
01-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Like the Hawks do, I think it would be great for the Sox to organize road watch parties for some of the big games during the season and have them at that place...That could make for good use of the building during the times the Sox are not at home...Then, during the offseason, maybe they could have Hawks/Bears/Bulls road watch parties!
Why would people drive all the way there when there are thousands of places of a similar nature closer to peoples homes in the Chicago area?

TheOldRoman
01-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Like the Hawks do, I think it would be great for the Sox to organize road watch parties for some of the big games during the season and have them at that place...That could make for good use of the building during the times the Sox are not at home...Then, during the offseason, maybe they could have Hawks/Bears/Bulls road watch parties!It wouldn't work. It may be an experience to sit in the team's home arena and watch a game among several thousand other screaming fans. However, there is no allure to watching the game in a bar attached to your team's ballpark. You might as well save the drive in and go to Buffalo Wild Wings.

chisoxfanatic
01-24-2011, 04:37 PM
It wouldn't work. It may be an experience to sit in the team's home arena and watch a game among several thousand other screaming fans. However, there is no allure to watching the game in a bar attached to your team's ballpark. You might as well save the drive in and go to Buffalo Wild Wings.
The Blackhawks have had awesome turnouts at their road watch parties, so what's not to say that it could also be Soxessful as well?

TomBradley72
01-24-2011, 04:37 PM
20 years later a missed opportunity- it should be "McCuddy's" and they could have brought back all that great memorabilia from the original place- a chance to integrate their history into a modern facility.

That whole thing was such a shame.

TheOldRoman
01-24-2011, 04:41 PM
The Blackhawks have had awesome turnouts at their road watch parties, so what's not to say that it could also be Soxessful as well?As I said, you are sitting in the actual United Center, not some bar attached to it. The UC provides a certain atmosphere you couldn't get at a neighborhood bar. Comiskey's wouldn't.

mrfourni
01-24-2011, 04:47 PM
As I said, you are sitting in the actual United Center, not some bar attached to it. The UC provides a certain atmosphere you couldn't get at a neighborhood bar. Comiskey's wouldn't.

Blackhawk road watch parties are not at the UC. They are at different bars around the city/suburbs

DumpJerry
01-24-2011, 04:47 PM
The Blackhawks have had awesome turnouts at their road watch parties, so what's not to say that it could also be Soxessful as well?
It would be what?:scratch::?:

There is nothing about this sports bar that is different from the 20,000 other sports bars in the Chicago area other than, except for people who live in Bridgeport, the fact it is far from home.

TheOldRoman
01-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Blackhawk road watch parties are not at the UC. They are at different bars around the city/suburbsMy mistake.

hi im skot
01-24-2011, 05:16 PM

http://www.profilebrand.com/funny-pictures/category/cats/682_i-barfed.gif

chisoxfanatic
01-24-2011, 05:38 PM
It would be what?:scratch::?:

There is nothing about this sports bar that is different from the 20,000 other sports bars in the Chicago area other than, except for people who live in Bridgeport, the fact it is far from home.
You're missing the point. People travel from pretty far places to come to the Blackhawks road watch parties...Having road watch parties there would be beneficial and would attract more business to the place on non-game days. And, as I said, they could do this for big match-ups (not every single game).

DumpJerry
01-24-2011, 07:16 PM
You're missing the point. People travel from pretty far places to come to the Blackhawks road watch parties...Having road watch parties there would be beneficial and would attract more business to the place on non-game days. And, as I said, they could do this for big match-ups (not every single game).
No, I did not miss your point. There are fewer road games for the Blackhawks and it's a different culture. Not to mention that the Hawk road watch parties are at different locations

What qualifies as a "big match-up?" Most of the important games don't become important until a few days before the game as the standings change up and down. For all we know, the August 11th game at Baltimore could be a huge game because a Sox win would pretty much the Tiger's chances at the Division title.

chisoxfanatic
01-24-2011, 07:58 PM
No, I did not miss your point. There are fewer road games for the Blackhawks and it's a different culture. Not to mention that the Hawk road watch parties are at different locations

What qualifies as a "big match-up?" Most of the important games don't become important until a few days before the game as the standings change up and down. For all we know, the August 11th game at Baltimore could be a huge game because a Sox win would pretty much the Tiger's chances at the Division title.
To say that having road watch parties at this new establishment is a bad idea is just crazy talk.

DumpJerry
01-24-2011, 09:37 PM
To say that having road watch parties at this new establishment is a bad idea is just crazy talk.
Why? As I stated we're talking about a different culture from Hawk fans. How will you get people to drive in from the suburbs, Beverly, the north side, Indiana, etc. to watch a Sox game with total strangers when they can do the same thing five minutes from their home. The White Sox have hundreds of times more fans that the Blackhawks, they don't need these parties for the like-minded to gather.

But, you're right, I'm a dumbass and you're a genius. I have never organized mass rallies or other similar events. I have no clue as to what brings people together. Why don't you organize these parties and report back to us how successful they are.

I'm still trying to figure out why it's "crazy talk." If it is such a good idea, why haven't the Cubs done it? In fact, I'm unaware of any MLB team doing it. There is just zero incentive for MLB fans to do this since their team's games are available in sports bars all over town.

chisoxfanatic
01-24-2011, 09:41 PM
:thud:

DumpJerry
01-24-2011, 09:47 PM
:thud:
I understand that to mean you don't have answers to my questions. It's one thing to throw out ideas, it's another to explain how they would work.

Harry Potter
01-24-2011, 09:52 PM
I understand that to mean you don't have answers to my questions. It's one thing to throw out ideas, it's another to explain how they would work.

I'm sure if you mention the Blackhawks' Ice Crew you'll get more then just a :thud:out of her :)

chisoxfanatic
01-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Common sense. I don't have to describe what a road watch party is or how some fans would go for stuff like that.

DumpJerry
01-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Common sense. I don't have to describe what a road watch party is or how some fans would go for stuff like that.
I know what you're talking about about in this post. It's your execution I, and others, raised questions about. You have not explained what will draw people in large enough numbers to this place when they can do the same thing close to home.

DumpJerry
01-24-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm sure if you mention the Blackhawks' Ice Crew you'll get more then just a :thud:out of her :)
My cousin who is an Ice Girl for the Hawks would like to come to a WSI gathering.......

ewokpelts
01-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Why? As I stated we're talking about a different culture from Hawk fans. How will you get people to drive in from the suburbs, Beverly, the north side, Indiana, etc. to watch a Sox game with total strangers when they can do the same thing five minutes from their home. The White Sox have hundreds of times more fans that the Blackhawks, they don't need these parties for the like-minded to gather.

But, you're right, I'm a dumbass and you're a genius. I have never organized mass rallies or other similar events. I have no clue as to what brings people together. Why don't you organize these parties and report back to us how successful they are.

I'm still trying to figure out why it's "crazy talk." If it is such a good idea, why haven't the Cubs done it? In fact, I'm unaware of any MLB team doing it. There is just zero incentive for MLB fans to do this since their team's games are available in sports bars all over town.

the indians had road watched at the jake in 2007 for thier playoff run.

and the captain morgan club is open on non game days during the season. and show cubs road games.

comiskey's COULD be a decent spot for road watch style events. I can see it working for cubs/sox, or when they open the season on the road.

baseball's such a long schedule that i doubt they can do more than 3-4 of these events without losing money.

TomBradley72
01-25-2011, 11:21 AM

I agree- the attraction would be knowing you're going to be with 100% White Sox fans vs. the usual mix at a sports bar.

You could also have Minoso, Melton, Pierce, etc. make an appearance.

I could see it working for Opening Day (if its a road opener), Cubs games at Wrigley, and September pennant race games on the road to name a few,

skobabe8
01-25-2011, 11:47 AM
We need a Bridgeporter to upload some pics.

ChiSoxGirl
01-25-2011, 12:00 PM

While I do think it'd be cool to go to Comiskey's to watch a Sox game such as Opening Day, a Sox/Cubs game being played at the Shrine, or an important Sox/Twins game, there's no way I'd do it on a regular basis. It can sometimes take me an hour & a half to get into the City from the northwest suburbs (like it did to get to the Palmer House on Friday morning) - that's half as long as a baseball game! I have a sports bar literally in my backyard and three more just five minutes up the road; those locations provide much less aggravation & frustration in terms of me getting there. And if I'm with the right person or group of people, it doesn't matter that the rest of the bar is full of "strangers."

beasly213
01-25-2011, 12:16 PM

You can't see anything right now. It's all covered up with tarps. Once there is something to show I'll post some pics for everyone.

hi im skot
01-25-2011, 12:31 PM
and the captain morgan club is open on non game days during the season. and show cubs road games.

Bridgeport isn't Wrigleyville, though.

ewokpelts
01-25-2011, 12:39 PM
I agree- the attraction would be knowing you're going to be with 100% White Sox fans vs. the usual mix at a sports bar.

You could also have Minoso, Melton, Pierce, etc. make an appearance.

I could see it working for Opening Day (if its a road opener), Cubs games at Wrigley, and September pennant race games on the road to name a few,playoff games as well.

ewokpelts
01-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Bridgeport isn't Wrigleyville, though.well, they both have stadiums with bar and grills operated by a third party vendor. so it's a fair comparison

doublem23
01-25-2011, 12:52 PM
well, they both have stadiums with bar and grills operated by a third party vendor. so it's a fair comparison

Yeah, but that's where the comparisons end. Come on, you really can't be that blind as to think Wrigleyville and Bridgeport are comparable, can you?

Law11
01-25-2011, 12:53 PM

Those road parties are big during the playoffs. If the Sox make the playoffs yes during a road playoff game it would be cool to be there. Other than that theres no point IMO.

ewokpelts
01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Yeah, but that's where the comparisons end. Come on, you really can't be that blind as to think Wrigleyville and Bridgeport are comparable, can you?the captain morgan club is a suitable comparison becuase when either team is out of town, both facilities are ghost towns.

but the argument pon hand was whether a road watch event could work at the bar situated IN the facility. and i think it could work at "comiskeys":. like it has at the captain morgan club.

kittle42
01-25-2011, 01:40 PM
the captain morgan club is a suitable comparison becuase when either team is out of town, both facilities are ghost towns.

but the argument pon hand was whether a road watch event could work at the bar situated IN the facility. and i think it could work at "comiskeys":. like it has at the captain morgan club.

Agreed with whomever said the Sox could sustain 4-5 of these road watches before losing money. Come on, ewok - this just isn't a winning plan from a moneymaking aspect. I think you're just arguing now for argument's sake.

Hitmen77
01-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Is this new place going to operate as essentially the same establishment as the beer garden that opened last season?

chisoxfanatic
01-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Those road parties are big during the playoffs. If the Sox make the playoffs yes during a road playoff game it would be cool to be there. Other than that theres no point IMO.
I was at a Blackhawks road watch almost a year ago to the day (regular season game vs. Carolina), and there were about 1,000 (one THOUSAND) who were there. It doesn't have to be during the playoffs to be successful.

ewokpelts
01-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Agreed with whomever said the Sox could sustain 4-5 of these road watches before losing money. Come on, ewok - this just isn't a winning plan from a moneymaking aspect. I think you're just arguing now for argument's sake.i'm the one who said after 3-4 times, it may not be profitable enough to over do it.

ewokpelts
01-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Is this new place going to operate as essentially the same establishment as the beer garden that opened last season?it replaces and expands on TBD's.

gibson's will run Comiskey's, whereas Sportservice handled TBD's.

hi im skot
01-25-2011, 02:23 PM
I was at a Blackhawks road watch almost a year ago to the day (regular season game vs. Carolina), and there were about 1,000 (one THOUSAND) who were there. It doesn't have to be during the playoffs to be successful.

Hmmm, that was right around the time that the Blackhawks bandwagon was starting to overflow.

I'm always looking for an excuse to get to the ballpark (I always go to the garage and clubhouse sales even though I have no intentions of buying anything), just to go. But honestly, I have absolutely no desire to drive to the ballpark to watch a game at a glorified sports bar.

People have 81 opportunities to see the Sox in person; I just don't think the demand is there to have viewing parties outside of the ballpark.

chisoxfanatic
01-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Hmmm, that was right around the time that the Blackhawks bandwagon was starting to overflow.

I'm always looking for an excuse to get to the ballpark (I always go to the garage and clubhouse sales even though I have no intentions of buying anything), just to go. But honestly, I have absolutely no desire to drive to the ballpark to watch a game at a glorified sports bar.

People have 81 opportunities to see the Sox in person; I just don't think the demand is there to have viewing parties outside of the ballpark.
Well, I DO!

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-25-2011, 02:39 PM
the indians had road watched at the jake in 2007 for thier playoff run.

comiskey's COULD be a decent spot for road watch style events. I can see it working for cubs/sox, or when they open the season on the road.

baseball's such a long schedule that i doubt they can do more than 3-4 of these events without losing money.

Yankees did this in 2009. Someone showed me photos they took of people watching the 2009 ALCS in Yankee Stadium when the Yankees were playing the Angels on the road.

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Honestly, it looks like a construction sight. There is nothing I could show you to make you say wow that's what it's going to look like? Nice! lol

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Honestly, the road games (other than post-season) will prob not happen. This isn't Wrigleyville nor do the WSox have the bandwagon fans the Hawks do/did.

kittle42
01-25-2011, 02:46 PM
i'm the one who said after 3-4 times, it may not be profitable enough to over do it.

Reading is fundamental! :) [egg on face]

Foulke You
01-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Well, I DO!
I agree with you. If the Sox did this for select ballgames like Opening Day/Twins/Cubs series etc, I can absolutely see it working and being a valuable marketing tool. When the Hawks do these road watch parties, they often make an event out of it like having former players there and handing out promotional giveaways. Having Pat Foley hype it up relentlessly during the Hawks TV broadcasts certainly helps with attendance at these events so there is no reason why Hawk Harrelson couldn't do the same thing for a "crosstown watch party" or something to that effect. It's called marketing. It's a chance to promote your product to a big group of people as an event. Would it be something I myself would do all the time? No, I live in Des Plaines so it would only be for a special type of game would I consider going. However, if I lived in the city (like many people do) I might be inclined to hop on the red line and watch a road game at a Sox friendly bar and have a beer with Moose Skowron or Bill Melton rather than a sports bar packed with Cub fans who cheer every time our opponent scores a run. It's not for everyone but to say it could never be successful is pretty short sighted.

chisoxfanatic
01-25-2011, 06:30 PM
I agree with you. If the Sox did this for select ballgames like Opening Day/Twins/Cubs series etc, I can absolutely see it working and being a valuable marketing tool. When the Hawks do these road watch parties, they often make an event out of it like having former players there and handing out promotional giveaways. Having Pat Foley hype it up relentlessly during the Hawks TV broadcasts certainly helps with attendance at these events so there is no reason why Hawk Harrelson couldn't do the same thing for a "crosstown watch party" or something to that effect. It's called marketing. It's a chance to promote your product to a big group of people as an event. Would it be something I myself would do all the time? No, I live in Des Plaines so it would only be for a special type of game would I consider going. However, if I lived in the city (like many people do) I might be inclined to hop on the red line and watch a road game at a Sox friendly bar and have a beer with Moose Skowron or Bill Melton rather than a sports bar packed with Cub fans who cheer every time our opponent scores a run. It's not for everyone but to say it could never be successful is pretty short sighted.
I know I'd certainly attend if Ventura or Thomas were there! :smile:

At the Hawks' road watch parties, they often have air hockey tournaments as well for prizes such as game tickets and autographed Hawks sweaters. The Sox could do something similar...Maybe having a speed pitching contest with a winner announced at the end of the event.

Though not everyone is into this type of a thing, there are plenty of people who are.

DumpJerry
01-25-2011, 06:36 PM
I love how the proponents for this idea have linked us to the all the marketing studies the White Sox have commissioned to see if this would be a viable idea to pursue.:rolleyes:

DumpJerry
01-25-2011, 06:39 PM

At the Hawks' road watch parties, they often have air hockey tournaments as well for prizes such as game tickets and autographed Hawks sweaters. The Sox could do something similar...Maybe having a speed pitching contest with a winner announced at the end of the event.

Though not everyone is into this type of a thing, there are plenty of people who are.
Come on, full disclosure, you live a few blocks away. It's easy for you to not only like this idea, but actually do it. Your options for a sports bar to watch Sox games are limited to about five other venues in the area, so of course an additional venue would be attractive. Why don't you contact the other sports bars near you to pitch the idea of parties for road games? I'm sure they would love the business.

doublem23
01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
I love how the proponents for this idea have linked us to the all the marketing studies the White Sox have commissioned to see if this would be a viable idea to pursue.:rolleyes:

This is a fansite.

kittle42
01-25-2011, 07:47 PM

I'm quite enjoying this new persona of yours, Dump. :D:

It's just an idea that was proposed to be discussed as a hypothetical on a message board. Where's the harm in that?

Foulke You
01-25-2011, 08:48 PM
For the record, I have a degree in small business marketing which teaches a lot of the basic core advertising, marketing, and direct marketing concepts that large businesses like the White Sox employ. I'm not saying I'm a marketing genius here but I can see the value that hosting events and promotions like a watch party can bring to the table. Having this sports bar gives the Sox a venue to host such an event. The marketing possibilities for a road watch event could include former players, TV promotion (Comcast cameras at the event going to crowd shots of the bar during a big game, etc), contests before and after, Chris Rongey pre and post game live radio remotes...heck, they could even have a ticket rep there to shill ticket packages to fans who might be giddy after a big win.

Also, it's not like opening this sports bar for one evening is going to break the budget of an MLB team. Even if they broke even on attendance at the event, it is worth it to get people who are excited about your product gathered in one place where you can promote other ball games/events/outings etc. I don't think the Sox should do it for every game but for big games, I could see it being successful and a useful way to market themselves when the team is out of town. I also wouldn't dismiss the idea just because there are sports bars near people's homes. You can get a hot dog at Jewel but that doesn't mean you won't drive to Portillo's to get their hot dogs.

For example, one of my local sports bars in Des Plaines might have the Sox on one lonely TV in the corner, a group of annoying Cubs fans giving me dirty looks at the bar, and no game audio. If "Comiskey's" is hosting a Sox vs. Twins event that has Frank Thomas, Bill Melton, prizes, ballgame on every TV w/game audio on, throngs of fellow fans, and a live radio remote. I'd be lying if I said my local sports bar is a more attractive venue to watch the game from. It would be up to the Sox to make it a destination event though. If they just open the doors and expect fans to flow in like water than it will fail.

Jpgr91
01-25-2011, 09:27 PM
it replaces and expands on TBD's.

gibson's will run Comiskey's, whereas Sportservice handled TBD's.

Has it been confirmed that Gibson's is going to run Comiskey's?

ChiSoxGirl
01-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Has it been confirmed that Gibson's is going to run Comiskey's?

Yes. Brooks made that announcement during his seminar on Saturday morning at SoxFest.

doublem23
01-25-2011, 09:50 PM
For example, one of my local sports bars in Des Plaines might have the Sox on one lonely TV in the corner, a group of annoying Cubs fans giving me dirty looks at the bar, and no game audio. If "Comiskey's" is hosting a Sox vs. Twins event that has Frank Thomas, Bill Melton, prizes, ballgame on every TV w/game audio on, throngs of fellow fans, and a live radio remote. I'd be lying if I said my local sports bar is a more attractive venue to watch the game from. It would be up to the Sox to make it a destination event though. If they just open the doors and expect fans to flow in like water than it will fail.

Definitely. Obviously people aren't going to make the trek down to Bridgeport 81 times per year, but maybe once per month? I could see that working.

chisoxfanatic
01-26-2011, 12:57 AM
You can't have any evidence for such "study" without trying it out in the first place! :rolleyes:
Definitely. Obviously people aren't going to make the trek down to Bridgeport 81 times per year, but maybe once per month? I could see that working.
Yep. Pretty much what I was saying...You get it.

dickallen15
01-26-2011, 06:07 AM
Yankees did this in 2009. Someone showed me photos they took of people watching the 2009 ALCS in Yankee Stadium when the Yankees were playing the Angels on the road.
The Sox held "viewing parties" during the WS at the UC. While it seems like a fun concept, these viewing parties aren't going to work for the Sox and they know it. There are a lot fewer people who live within 2 miles of USCF than who live within 2 miles of Wrigley with their year around bar. Drinks aren't going to be cheap. Go to other bars in Bridgeport during non Sox home games and see how many are there vs. bars around Wrigley duirng non baseball days. The other idea of giveaways and Ventura and Thomas showing up are all nice but that costs a lot of money, and besides even if they drew the 1000 people that was mentioned about a Blackhawks viewing party, would you really want that? Sit or stand in a jam packed bar paying ballpark prices for beer. Call me a loner but my couch at a six pack for less than the price of one beer would even seen more inviting if I ever experienced that. The White Sox need to work on trying to entice the millions that apparently want to drive down and watch the game at their bar, to drive down and watch the games in their stadium.

Its human nature to think its a great idea now and if they had it everyone would be up for it once a month or whatever, but just look at what happens when they had the WSI gatherings with patio party outings. There are a lot more people in when it first gets going than actually go, and that's once a year with the biggest White Sox freaks.

DumpJerry
01-26-2011, 07:55 AM
If road watch parties are such automatic draws, why don't the Bears and Bulls do them? Blackhawk culture seems to support them (Cub fans probably can't find the televisions at them, they only want a cold Old Style), but there does not seem to be a high demand for them in general.

chisoxfanatic
01-26-2011, 08:24 AM
If road watch parties are such automatic draws, why don't the Bears and Bulls do them? Blackhawk culture seems to support them (Cub fans probably can't find the televisions at them, they only want a cold Old Style), but there does not seem to be a high demand for them in general.
There is no way of proving that until it's actually done! And, just because the Bears and Bulls don't do them doesn't mean there isn't a "demand" for them. Maybe they haven't thought of them, or, if they have, they don't feel like going through the effort of putting them together.

kittle42
01-26-2011, 09:16 AM

I'd argue this is actually more about raising team "awareness" (I hate that term) and fan interest than anything. The Bears (and most NFL teams) just don't need to do that. Go out to most bars on an NFL Sunday and they'll be pretty filled with Bears fans already. The Bulls? I could perhaps see them doing something like that for the playoffs this year, but again, they have less of a need. It was one of the things - small or not - that helped the Hawks rise up from being buried in this city (though their recent play is helping them go back down). Could the Sox, who play second fiddle to another baseball team in their own city, benefit from at least some type of gimmick like this? Certainly not on any kind of an 81-game basis, but for selected games/series? Maybe.

TomBradley72
01-26-2011, 09:37 AM

That level of analysis would probably be overkill.

If you already have the restaurant built, etc.- the incremental investment you are making for a "watch party" is the expense of operating the restaurant for a night (staffing, utilities, etc.)- if you try it a few times and it doesn't work- it's not like you're losing a ton of money.

IF it does work- you've found a way to generate more revenue/profit from a your fixed expenses of the facility.

ewokpelts
01-26-2011, 12:51 PM

Though not everyone is into this type of a thing, there are plenty of people who are.i think you're confusing the "hockey night in chicago" and city road watches.

I've been to a few city road watches, and there is no air hockey tourneys, or contests for autographed sticks.
there is ususally gene honda MCing the event, and a few ice girls hading out promo goodies and a raffle ticket for 2 tickets to a game. and food/drink specials

ewokpelts
01-26-2011, 01:00 PM
If road watch parties are such automatic draws, why don't the Bears and Bulls do them? Blackhawk culture seems to support them (Cub fans probably can't find the televisions at them, they only want a cold Old Style), but there does not seem to be a high demand for them in general.i imagine nfl teams CANT do them as that can affect the "value" of thier tv contracts. i remember the bears were prohibited from having super bowl XLI on the jumbotrons at solider field.

that said, the bears will sometimes have PRIVATE viewing parties at the cadillac club(or whatever they call it now). I see passes for them pop up on craigslist here and there.

as for the bulls, they DID have nba finals road watched at the UC back in 97 and 98. They may not feel the need, as they still have better ratings and brand awareness than the hawks.

the hawks is a unique situation, as they were basically rebuilding the brand after dollar bill croaked. While the cost of a BAR having a roadwatch event is not grat, I imagine the hawks are shelling out some cash for promotion, giveaways, paying gene honda for an appearance, teh ice girls, ect.
and the "blackhawks bars" concept aint cheap either, as the hawks furnished the bars on that list with promotional signage and banners with the bar's name on it.

oh, wait, i also forgot....the wirtz family OWNS a liquor distributorship. So they are making a killing on bars loaded with hawks fans!

twsoxfan5
01-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Dump, I think you are against this b/c it is another example of chisox trying to connect the dots to hockey/blackhawks again when really there is no basis for it.

If that is the case I support that part of your argument. Also I am not sure that these would be successful b/c of other reasons you have mentioned, i.e. the fact that many people will not travel far for this on a regular basis.

However are you really that sure it would not work? I mean I think I would do this a couple times a year if I thought it was an important game and I live all the way in Orland. If I lived in the city I would be even more likely to attend. I really think they could be successful, but unfortunately that is not really what this thread was about.

kittle42
01-26-2011, 03:10 PM
I mean I think I would do this a couple times a year if I thought it was an important game and I live all the way in Orland.

I don't know, twsoxfan5. Have you commissioned a study of yourself to be able to analyze this hypothesis?

SephClone89
01-26-2011, 03:14 PM
I don't know, twsonfan5. Have you commissioned a study of yourself to be able to analyze this hypothesis?

:rolling:

chisoxfanatic
01-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Dump, I think you are against this b/c it is another example of chisox trying to connect the dots to hockey/blackhawks again when really there is no basis for it.

If that is the case I support that part of your argument. Also I am not sure that these would be successful b/c of other reasons you have mentioned, i.e. the fact that many people will not travel far for this on a regular basis.

However are you really that sure it would not work? I mean I think I would do this a couple times a year if I thought it was an important game and I live all the way in Orland. If I lived in the city I would be even more likely to attend. I really think they could be successful, but unfortunately that is not really what this thread was about.
Actually, there is a basis for it, as it is an idea for one way to use the new restaurant that this thread is specifically talking about about, and I was using the Hawks' road watch parties as an example of something that's been successful and could work for the Sox. In NO way did I say that road watch should be done "on a regular basis." The last time I checked, I specifically wrote "big games." BIG difference. :rolleyes:

ewokpelts
01-26-2011, 04:15 PM
For those that WANT to see some road watch events at the new place, here's the lady to email:

Jessica O'Connor joconnor@grgmc.com

You can also inquire about menus and availability of the spot for group events when the season starts.

twsoxfan5
01-26-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't know, twsoxfan5. Have you commissioned a study of yourself to be able to analyze this hypothesis?

Haha yes. I thought about, asked myself out loud, and then logged the results. I'll ask myself again in 10 years and then update the results.

twsoxfan5
01-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Actually, there is a basis for it, as it is an idea for one way to use the new restaurant that this thread is specifically talking about about, and I was using the Hawks' road watch parties as an example of something that's been successful and could work for the Sox. In NO way did I say that road watch should be done "on a regular basis." The last time I checked, I specifically wrote "big games." BIG difference. :rolleyes:

Like the Hawks do

Above are the first 4 words in your first post after you heard about the new restaurant. My point is that the first thing you did was try to draw a connection to the Hawks and or hockey like you do in every thread.

Not a huge deal for me b/c I like both those things but I see how it frustrates people. The thread then turned into you and Dump arguing about what works for the Hawks may or may not work for the Sox. Instead of talking about the new restaurant.

Harry Potter
01-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Above are the first 4 words in your first post after you heard about the new restaurant. My point is that the first thing you did was try to draw a connection to the Hawks and or hockey like you do in every thread.

Amen brother

Harry Potter
01-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Instead of talking about the new restaurant.

Exactly. Since this restaurant won't have the Gibsons name but will be run by the Gibsons management group, I'm curious if Comiskey's will feature any of the staples of the Gibsons/Hugos/Quartino/Luxbar menus and/or if the menu will be tailored at all to the tapas/small plate sharing structure of Quartino and to some extent, Luxbar. Or completely different.

chisoxfanatic
01-26-2011, 08:38 PM

Not a huge deal for me b/c I like both those things but I see how it frustrates people. The thread then turned into you and Dump arguing about what works for the Hawks may or may not work for the Sox. Instead of talking about the new restaurant.
:bs:

I simply brought up an idea of one way the restaurant can be used on some non-game days during the season. The last time I checked, bringing up an idea of another use for such establishment DOES have something to do with the restaurant. I was merely bringing the Hawks into the equation, because they've proven to have successful road watch parties. YOU are trying to turn this into something it isn't!

ChiSoxGirl
01-26-2011, 08:54 PM

Spot on. Everywhere. That is all.

fox23
01-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Exactly. Since this restaurant won't have the Gibsons name but will be run by the Gibsons management group, I'm curious if Comiskey's will feature any of the staples of the Gibsons/Hugos/Quartino/Luxbar menus and/or if the menu will be tailored at all to the tapas/small plate sharing structure of Quartino and to some extent, Luxbar. Or completely different.

Shouldn't you know that one Mr. Potter??

kittle42
01-27-2011, 01:54 AM
:bs:

I simply brought up an idea of one way the restaurant can be used on some non-game days during the season. The last time I checked, bringing up an idea of another use for such establishment DOES have something to do with the restaurant. I was merely bringing the Hawks into the equation, because they've proven to have successful road watch parties. YOU are trying to turn this into something it isn't!

Whether or not they are correct in this particular thread, they are right generally. I love hockey and the Hawks, but come on, this is as bad as me bringing college football into every thread.

chisoxfanatic
01-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Whether or not they are correct in this particular thread, they are right generally. I love hockey and the Hawks, but come on, this is as bad as me bringing college football into every thread.
That's a big time exaggeration, first of all. Secondly, it's relevant to the idea that I brought into this thread...I can't help anyone who can't see that.

ewokpelts
01-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Exactly. Since this restaurant won't have the Gibsons name but will be run by the Gibsons management group, I'm curious if Comiskey's will feature any of the staples of the Gibsons/Hugos/Quartino/Luxbar menus and/or if the menu will be tailored at all to the tapas/small plate sharing structure of Quartino and to some extent, Luxbar. Or completely different.more like blue star, from what i was told.

twsoxfan5
01-27-2011, 01:52 PM
That's a big time exaggeration, first of all. Secondly, it's relevant to the idea that I brought into this thread...I can't help anyone who can't see that.

And if you can't see that your sole purpose in nearly every thread is to make a connection to the Hawks I can't help you. Although I can give you a tip: Take a look at your post history or the 5 people that have agreed with my statement in this thread alone.

Now onto this restaurant. I am really excited about this place. It could suck and be extermely crowded but any development around the park is good news to me.

TomBradley72
01-27-2011, 03:10 PM
I guess I'm not here enough to see the whole "it's all about the Hawks" controversy....but the idea of finding additional revenue sources for a facility is not a unique one. It's analogous to stadiums being used for concerts when games are not scheduled, etc.

You could completely remove any references to the Hawks and it's still a valid idea.

(The fact that is has stirred up so many posts is more evidence of restlessness for spring training to start than anything else)

doublem23
01-27-2011, 03:53 PM
(The fact that is has stirred up so many posts is more evidence of restlessness for spring training to start than anything else)

Not really, it's more just some posters who don't like others and they're just being d-bags. Pretty much the same thread, on a totally different topic, will pop up in May.

:welcome:

roylestillman
02-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Just got my single game tickets in the mail. There is an insert announcing the opening of Comiskey's Bar and Grill at Gate 5 on April 7, 2011. It says it will be operated by the Gibson Restaurant group. Quoting fron the insert: "Menu highlights include hamburgers made with USDA Gibson's prime anngus beef, handcut french fries, and in-house smoked bbq baby back ribs, pulled pork and beef brisket. Served with white tablecloth standard service..."

Also goes on to point out they will have 64 flat screen TVs and a "veritable Museum of White Sox memorabilia." Renderings show both a bar area as well as a sit down restaurant. The old TBD's outdoor area looks the same. (Hopefully the port a potties are gone.)

Makes no mention of the hours or whether it will be open on non game days.

nitetrain8601
02-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Anyone got recent pics by chance?

beasly213
02-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Anyone got recent pics by chance?

There is still nothing to take a picture of. The outside windows are all covered with tarps.

Thome25
02-15-2011, 09:23 PM
There is still nothing to take a picture of. The outside windows are all covered with tarps.

There's those of us who are out of town who haven't seen any pics of the building at all regardless of the presence of tarps.

Any pics in all of their tarp-covered glory?

chisoxfanatic
02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Just got my single game tickets in the mail. There is an insert announcing the opening of Comiskey's Bar and Grill at Gate 5 on April 7, 2011. It says it will be operated by the Gibson Restaurant group. Quoting fron the insert: "Menu highlights include hamburgers made with USDA Gibson's prime anngus beef, handcut french fries, and in-house smoked bbq baby back ribs, pulled pork and beef brisket. Served with white tablecloth standard service..."

Also goes on to point out they will have 64 flat screen TVs and a "veritable Museum of White Sox memorabilia." Renderings show both a bar area as well as a sit down restaurant. The old TBD's outdoor area looks the same. (Hopefully the port a potties are gone.)

Makes no mention of the hours or whether it will be open on non game days.
So, will this be the spot for the small White Sox "HOF" they moved from the gift shop to the Scout Seat lounge, or is that something totally different?
There's those of us who are out of town who haven't seen any pics of the building at all regardless of the presence of tarps.

Any pics in all of their tarp-covered glory?
All you can really see is the same enclosure they had for the new stairwell and you can't see in any of the windows, because the tarp is covering all of them...Not anything picture worthy.

grv1974
02-22-2011, 01:06 AM
So, will this be the spot for the small White Sox "HOF" they moved from the gift shop to the Scout Seat lounge, or is that something totally different?

All you can really see is the same enclosure they had for the new stairwell and you can't see in any of the windows, because the tarp is covering all of them...Not anything picture worthy.

So, take a picture of THAT then.....

grv1974
03-13-2011, 01:02 AM
Does anyone have pics of the new restaurant or is the tarp still covering everything?

ewokpelts
03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
http://twitpic.com/49rlvn

ChiSoxGirl
03-16-2011, 11:30 AM
http://twitpic.com/49rlvn

They better get movin' if they want that place ready to go on April 7!

skobabe8
03-16-2011, 11:36 AM

I count 9 workers in that one shot, so it looks like they are trying.

beasly213
03-16-2011, 12:06 PM

I know it says it was posted on 3.15 but I'm not sure when it was taken. I drove by this morning and it looked a lot further a long than that pic.

Harry Potter
03-16-2011, 12:12 PM
I also hear the name of said bar/restaurant may be changing yet again...

doublem23
03-16-2011, 12:17 PM

U.S. Cellular's

skobabe8
03-16-2011, 12:21 PM
U.S. Cellular's

Hitmen77
03-16-2011, 01:50 PM
U.S. Cellular's

To hell with that, this restaurant will always be "Comiskey's" to me! :tongue:

doublem23
03-16-2011, 02:05 PM
To hell with that, this restaurant will always be "Comiskey's" to me! :tongue:

I just call it Sox Restaurant.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-16-2011, 02:19 PM
McCuddy's. :cool:

samurai_sox
03-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Grinder's

chisoxfanatic
03-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Cominsky's :tongue:

Irishsox1
03-16-2011, 05:18 PM
How about "Moe's Family Feedbag"?

grv1974
03-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Cominsky's :tongue:

:roflmao:

#1swisher
03-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Reifert

http://twitpic.com/4aezqv

nitetrain8601
03-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Possibly Cubbie Bear?

Harry Potter
03-25-2011, 05:58 PM

Could it be... Bacardi Bar ?

http://events.chicago.cbslocal.com/localevents/event/100/5900-White-Sox-Opening-Day-Broadcast-at-Bacardi-Bar-U-S-Cellular-Field-

beasly213
03-25-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm pretty sure it is going to be Bacardi Bar. Also it looks like it's getting pretty close to being done. I drive by it every day and every day more and more is done. Looks really nice inside too.

bridgeportcopper
03-25-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm pretty sure it is going to be Bacardi Bar. Also it looks like it's getting pretty close to being done. I drive by it every day and every day more and more is done. Looks really nice inside too.

I think Bacardi Bar is gonna be the name of the outside part which was "TBD's" last season.

DumpJerry
03-25-2011, 10:11 PM
In the Forbes thread, it was mentioned that Bacardi is a corporate sponsor of the Sox.

BainesHOF
03-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Sounds like it's time to sell hard liquor and wine again at the games and get the place really rockin'!

Viva Medias B's
03-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Sounds like it's time to sell hard liquor and wine again at the games and get the place really rockin'!

Don't they do that already? You can get wine and Jose Cuevro on the main councourse.

soltrain21
03-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Who in the hell would drink wine at a baseball game? That's just weird.

Gavin
03-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Not in my America!!!!!!!

DumpJerry
03-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Apparently a lot of people do it since there has been a wine stand on the concourse for at least the last two seasons.

roylestillman
03-26-2011, 02:18 PM
What wine pairs with churro?

Harry Potter
03-26-2011, 02:30 PM

http://everydaydrinkers.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/boones.jpg

Streets
03-26-2011, 03:56 PM

My friend who can't drink beer/gluten.

My friends dad who drinks red for his heart.

I will also claim to be a part of a group of people who've managed to sneak in an entire bottle of wine in a large flask. What... it was Polish Night... :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
03-26-2011, 05:20 PM
My friend who can't drink beer/gluten.

My friends dad who drinks red for his heart.

I will also claim to be a part of a group of people who've managed to sneak in an entire bottle of wine in a large flask. What... it was Polish Night... :tongue:
I've snuck in Bacardi Silvers before. :cool:

There are people who just like wine...In fact, it's one of the only 2 alcoholic beverages served at the Patio.

beasly213
03-27-2011, 09:11 PM
There are signs up now that say "Bacardi Bar" outside the Stadium.

doublem23
03-27-2011, 09:40 PM
There are signs up now that say "Bacardi Bar" outside the Stadium.

Outside the stadium? Or on the building across the street that is supposedly Comiskey's?

CLUBHOUSE KID
03-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Outside the stadium? Or on the building across the street that is supposedly Comiskey's?

Okay you know where the sign that said TBD's was right by lot b on 35th and shields? That is where the new sign is. Saw it today.

beasly213
03-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Okay you know where the sign that said TBD's was right by lot b on 35th and shields? That is where the new sign is. Saw it today.

Yep there are two of them with the Bacardi Logo... Which logos wayyy to similar to the Batman logo.

doublem23
03-27-2011, 11:59 PM

Gotcha... So, I'm guessing this means TBD's will be renamed the Bacardi Bar and the restaurant is still supposedly named Comiskey's?

Harry Potter
03-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Gotcha... So, I'm guessing this means TBD's will be renamed the Bacardi Bar and the restaurant is still supposedly named Comiskey's?

I'm thinking the entire complex (inside restaurant and outdoor patio) will be called the Bacardi Bar.

roylestillman
03-28-2011, 09:37 AM
And now we learn from the Tribune (buried within the Cub Vienna hot dog article) that the Sox have built an Irish Pub somewhere in the park. Anybody have any details on that?

skobabe8
03-28-2011, 09:52 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ph6aKsEPN0M/TDSz3Pdl6nI/AAAAAAAAApI/r2Eyz2nEAjA/s320/bueh.jpg

DumpJerry
03-28-2011, 10:10 AM
And now we learn from the Tribune (buried within the Cub Vienna hot dog article) that the Sox have built an Irish Pub somewhere in the park. Anybody have any details on that?
Probably the new one on 35th Street we've been writing about.

Harry Potter
03-28-2011, 10:20 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0328-vienna-beef-20110328,0,2661596.story

Mod edit: Please don't quote parts of copyrighted stories. People can click on the link.

doublem23
03-28-2011, 10:21 AM

O'Comiskey's?

Harry Potter
03-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Unless the Tribune completely guessed (very unlikely) and assumed the new Gibsons-run restaurant (i.e. Comiskey's Bar and Grill -> Comiskey Park Grill -> Bacardi Bar) is this "Irish Pub" ?

FielderJones
03-28-2011, 06:30 PM
McCuddy's II

downstairs
03-28-2011, 06:40 PM

A lot of people only drink wine when they want an alcoholic beverage. My dad, for example. Never drinks beer or liquor. I could name quite a few people in my family like that.

#1swisher
03-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Bacardi at the Park

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110329&content_id=17179392&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

skobabe8
03-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Bacardi at the Park

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110329&content_id=17179392&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

It opens 2.5 hours before all home games and remains open through the game until two hours after the last out. Fans do not need a game ticket to visit Bacardi at the Park.

Pretty nice option for those who get kicked out of the BPSB a little too soon.

doublem23
03-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Bacardi at the Park

That's cheesy. Looks like I'll make the 1 block walk to Cork & Kerry or Turtle's.

skobabe8
03-29-2011, 12:06 PM

That's cheesy. Looks like I'll make the 1 block walk to Cork & Kerry or Turtle's.

I agree the name is awful.

doublem23
03-29-2011, 12:09 PM
So, only open game days?

Eh, it's a step in the right direction.

Red Barchetta
03-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Bacardi at the Park

So if a Miller Lite is $8.00, how much are they going to charge for a Bicardi and Diet Coke?! :(:

It's nice to have options around the ballpark. I'm sure it will be nice. Amazing how far the organization has come since the opening season of Comiskey II.

eriqjaffe
03-29-2011, 12:52 PM
So if a Miller Lite is $8.00, how much are they going to charge for a Bicardi and Diet Coke?! :(:If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

doublem23
03-29-2011, 12:57 PM
If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

skobabe8
03-29-2011, 05:50 PM
So if a Miller Lite is $8.00, how much are they going to charge for a Bicardi and Diet Coke?! :(:

It's nice to have options around the ballpark. I'm sure it will be nice. Amazing how far the organization has come since the opening season of Comiskey II.

Probably same price, but its in a Dixie cup like in the Bullpen Sports Bar.

Red Barchetta
03-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Probably same price, but its in a Dixie cup like in the Bullpen Sports Bar.

Cool. That makes it worth it. Especially if it has a SOX logo! :D:

Thome25
03-30-2011, 08:20 PM
It's managed by Gibson's and the name is.....*Drumroll please*:

Bacardi at the Park (http://www.mlb.com/cws/photogallery/year_2011/month_03/day_29/cf17183748.html)

DumpJerry
03-30-2011, 08:30 PM
It's managed by Gibson's and the name is.....*Drumroll please*:

Bacardi at the Park (http://www.mlb.com/cws/photogallery/year_2011/month_03/day_29/cf17183748.html)
The pics look nice. Drove by there on Tuesday, it looks like it will be a good place to watch the game if you don't have a ticket.

beasly213
03-30-2011, 10:01 PM
It looks nice from the outside. Also there is now a Giant "ALL IN" Banner on the walkover over 35th street. Has a bunch of Sox players on the banner as well.

WhiteSox5187
03-30-2011, 11:56 PM
It looks nice from the outside. Also there is now a Giant "ALL IN" Banner on the walkover over 35th street. Has a bunch of Sox players on the banner as well.

They also have some cool pictures from the old ballpark hanging up on the walls there. One is of the bleachers from what looks like the 1970s and the other is of Al Smith getting the beer dunked on his head. There are also some "ALL IN" ads that feature AJ tagging out Cuddyer at home during the blackout game. One is at the 35th Street Red Line stop.

ewokpelts
03-31-2011, 12:48 PM
I was invited to a special event on 4/2 at the Barcardi at the Park. I'll report on how it is.

Jason82807
04-01-2011, 12:37 AM
I was invited to a special event on 4/2 at the Barcardi at the Park. I'll report on how it is.

Ditto see you there

ewokpelts
04-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Ditto see you thereI may not be going. It all depends on work.

RustyKuntz
04-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Take pictures.

skobabe8
04-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Just drove by and there are alot of people inside. I called the white sox to see if it was open and they didn't know, nor could they give me a phone number to call and find out.

I ended up at Cork and Kerry.

DumpJerry
04-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Just drove by and there are alot of people inside. I called the white sox to see if it was open and they didn't know, nor could they give me a phone number to call and find out.

I ended up at Cork and Kerry.
Today is April 2nd (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2716285&postcount=243).

skobabe8
04-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Today is April 2nd (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2716285&postcount=243).

I know. I called to ask if their was a special event and if it was completely private or if there was anything open to the public. They didn't know.

DumpJerry
04-02-2011, 08:16 PM
I know. I called to ask if their was a special event and if it was completely private or if there was anything open to the public. They didn't know.
That was probably their way of saying it was private. By not acknowledging it, they won't make you feel left out.