PDA

View Full Version : Uggla gets richest contract ever for 2B....

getonbckthr
01-04-2011, 10:38 PM
http://mlb-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/26847868
This makes me nervous in regards to a future deal with Beckham.

DumpJerry
01-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Why? I keep reading on WSI that he is lucky to even be on a 25 man roster.

slavko
01-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Why? I keep reading on WSI that he is lucky to even be on a 25 man roster.

Kidding aside, we let Juan Uribe go and he is basically the same player, stats-wise. Except Beckham has a halo and Uribe didn't.

LoveYourSuit
01-04-2011, 11:46 PM
http://mlb-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/26847868

Are you serious?

How about Beckham first becomes anywhere close to that level.

cws05champ
01-05-2011, 08:17 AM

If Beckham hits over 30 HR, 4 years in a row I'm sure the Sox will have no problem paying him.....and they would be crucified by the fan base if they didn't. I'm not saying Beckham would ever reach that level.

I'm still optimistic that Beckham can be an annual .270-280 hitter with 20 HR, 35 2B type guy. He seemed out of sorts for long stretches in his sophomore slump.

asindc
01-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Kidding aside, we let Juan Uribe go and he is basically the same player, stats-wise. Except Beckham has a halo and Uribe didn't.

You failed to mention two other distinctions between Beckham and Uribe:

1) Uribe will make $21 million dollars over the next three years after making $3.25 million last year, while Beckham will not be arbitration eligible until 2013 and will not be a free agent until 2016, and he made $445,000 last year.

2) Uribe is 31 years old and Beckham is 24 years old.

Considering that you think they are "basically the same player, stats-wise," are you willing to take Beckham's halo away from him and give it to Uribe?

DumpJerry
01-05-2011, 10:41 AM
You failed to mention two other distinctions between Beckham and Uribe:

1) Uribe will make $21 million dollars over the next three years after making $3.25 million last year, while Beckham will not be arbitration eligible until 2013 and will not be a free agent until 2016, and he made $445,000 last year.

2) Uribe is 31 years old and Beckham is 24 years old.

Considering that you think they are "basically the same player, stats-wise," are you willing to take Beckham's halo away from him and give it to Uribe?
You left out a third distinction. If you have ever seen Uribe play and Beckham play, you would consider comparing the two of them. Completely different on the field, completely different at The Plate. Other than that, they are the same player......

kittle42
01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
You left out a third distinction. If you have ever seen Uribe play and Beckham play, you would consider comparing the two of them. Completely different on the field, completely different at The Plate. Other than that, they are the same player......

Well, they both play baseball! :tongue:

slavko
01-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Glad I got your attention. .250 hitter with some pop and plays a decent but not great infield. Basically the same player. One looks and moves differently than the other. So what. Basically the same results.

He has a nice contract coming up, yes, as a result of a good season for a Championship Team. When Beckham does the same, the outcome will be the same, I suspect.

DumpJerry
01-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Glad I got your attention. .250 hitter with some pop and plays a decent but not great infield. Basically the same player. One looks and moves differently than the other. So what. Basically the same results.

He has a nice contract coming up, yes, as a result of a good season for a Championship Team. When Beckham does the same, the outcome will be the same, I suspect.
They play with a completely different style. I feel that Beckham, in the long run, will be seen as a much better player-his baseball instincts are much better than Uribe's.

slavko
01-05-2011, 04:56 PM
They play with a completely different style. I feel that Beckham, in the long run, will be seen as a much better player-his baseball instincts are much better than Uribe's.

Point 1. Subjective.
Point 2. Subjective.

How were Juan's instincts when he schnookered Derrek Lee that day at second base?

DumpJerry
01-05-2011, 05:02 PM

Point 1. Subjective.
Point 2. Subjective.

How were Juan's instincts when he schnookered Derrek Lee that day at second base?
How is my point that they play with a different style "subjective?" They take a completely different approach in both the field and The Plate, that is an objective fact, nothing subjective about it. If I said one had a better style than the other, that would be subjective. My second point is not subjective by any definition, it is speculative since it has not happened yet.

So, you take one play from Uribe's multi-year career and decide he has better instincts? That's not subjective, it's highly selective. That's like saying because he has hit home runs from both sides of The Plate in one game while wearing a Sox uniform, Nick Swisher is a better home run hitter than Frank Thomas who never accomplished that feat.

sox68
01-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Its still early in his career, but right now I see more similarities to Scott Fletcher rather than Uggla

soxfanreggie
01-05-2011, 10:58 PM
How is my point that they play with a different style "subjective?" They take a completely different approach in both the field and The Plate, that is an objective fact, nothing subjective about it. If I said one had a better style than the other, that would be subjective. My second point is not subjective by any definition, it is speculative since it has not happened yet.

By saying his instincts "are" much better than Juan's is not a speculative statement, it is a subjective statement. It would be speculative to say "will be."

DumpJerry
01-06-2011, 08:42 AM
By saying his instincts "are" much better than Juan's is not a speculative statement, it is a subjective statement. It would be speculative to say "will be."
I said "will be."