PDA

View Full Version : Michael Young

stevemcstud
01-04-2011, 02:16 PM
If we were actually able to sign Soriano and had the money for it, I would actually rather have Michael Young, have Texas eat some money, and trade them Dayan and Morel.

That would give them the 1B they need with Power and a good prospect and we get higher average with great defense and a proven everyday player.

russ99
01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
If we were actually able to sign Soriano and had the money for it, I would actually rather have Michael Young, have Texas eat some money, and trade them Dayan and Morel.

That would give them the 1B they need with Power and a good prospect and we get higher average with great defense and a proven everyday player.

Michael Young is 34 this year, and making $16M for the next three seasons.

The Rangers can't eat enough contract to make that deal palatable.

That's not a match unless we can send Buehrle and Morel to the Rangers (they're looking for a starter) and get Young and near-ready pitching prospects back.

I really hope Kenny doesn't deal Dayan, at least this year. Pierre won't be back for 2012 which can open a place for him to play akin to Carlos Lee, and this year he's insurance in case we lose a player to a long-term injury.

DirtySox
01-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Expensive, old, declining, bad defensively, average offensively. Pass.

kittle42
01-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Ah, the old "get an overpriced guy for randomly-chosen prospects X and Y."

Tragg
01-04-2011, 03:26 PM

My goodness, they've been peddling Michael Young for years. He's getting old, his hitting is solid, not great, and he can't play a lick of D. We want to give our 2 best young hitting prospects for him? Mercy

Foulke You
01-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Expensive, old, declining, bad defensively, average offensively. Pass.
Young is one of the best in the business with RISP hitting .320 in his career. and with the bases loaded he is a .352 hitter and with RISP/2 Outs he is a .326 hitter. He is coming off a season where he .284 with 21HRs and 91 RBI so I'd hardly call that declining although I can't dispute that he is getting older and therefore not worth that huge contract. I've always been a fan of his though because of his knack for the big hit which is something our offense has struggled with the last couple years. Rangers would have to eat a good chunk of that deal to make it enticing but I would love to have him on the team at the right price.

Here are Young's situational stats:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6613/situational;_ylt=ApGLSnBlJpJJ1yXrUEjcxRGFCLcF?year =career&type=Batting