PDA

View Full Version : touting Maggs


Spiff
07-01-2002, 09:09 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar02/s/2002/0630/1400736.html

Magglio Ordonez, OF, White Sox: 13 HR, 60 RBI, .315, .917 OPS

Why he didn't make the final 29: Do we need another reminder on why the one-player-per-team rule is ridiculous when Robert Fick makes it at the expense of a real All-Star?

Why he should make it: Ranks ninth in the AL in OPS, fourth in RBI, sixth in batting average, 10th in slugging percentage, fifth in runs and third in doubles.

Negatives: He's too consistent?

34 Inch Stick
07-01-2002, 09:19 AM
Are any of the other picks injured? Can he still make it as an add on?

It's a shame. Usually the multi-time all stars get the benefit of the doubt (Even though there is no doubt with Maggs).

Kilroy
07-01-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Are any of the other picks injured? Can he still make it as an add on?

It's a shame. Usually the multi-time all stars get the benefit of the doubt (Even though there is no doubt with Maggs).

You never know with the all-star selections, because the manager gets to select who he wants. And seeing the Torre put six yankees on the team again mkes me wanna puke. They should let the players pick the reserves.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
You never know with the all-star selections, because the manager gets to select who he wants. And seeing the Torre put six yankees on the team again mkes me wanna puke. They should let the players pick the reserves.

What's that old saying about to the winners go the spoils? Torre's #1 objective is a happy clubhouse in Yankee Stadium. As long as they keep winning the pennant, filling out the all-star team's roster with marginal Yankees is another tool at his disposal.

Of course we Sox Fans wouldn't understand anything about this concept. :(:

:reinsy
"Just be glad you have a team at all! I'll dismantle this bunch at my first opportunity."

:KW
"I've been warning you..."

Saracen
07-01-2002, 10:14 AM
How did Torre put 6 Yanks on there?

3 were voted on by the fans - and as for the others, which do you have a problem with? Robin Ventura, Jeter or Mariano Rivera? I think Torre did the right thing with those picks.

hold2dibber
07-01-2002, 10:17 AM
I love Robin Venture - he is one of my all time favorite players. But I don't think he's having a better year than Maggs or Eric Chavez or Jim Thome. All of those guys are more deserving, as great as Ventura has been.

The more aggregious oversight came in the NL, where Brenly chose Luis Gonzalez over Andruw Jones and Brian Giles. There is no way to justify that choice.

soxrme
07-01-2002, 10:50 AM
It is almost impossible to please everyone with a game like this. I am surprised Paul got in and not Thome. Mags deserves it and so does Paul and Mark, buttttttt, we are under 500 and to the winners go the spoils. Hard to argue with the 6 Yankees who are all good players too.

34rancher
07-01-2002, 10:56 AM
There is no one here who loves Robin more than me, but I am sorry, NO ONE DESERVES TO BE AN ALL-STAR WHILE HITTING 256.

Paulwny
07-01-2002, 11:21 AM
The number of players on the all star team needs to be increased. Expansion has added teams yet, the number of players being selected stays the same. Of course Torre could then add more yankmees.

Jerry_Manuel
07-01-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The number of players on the all star team needs to be increased. Expansion has added teams yet, the number of players being selected stays the same. Of course Torre could then add more yankmees.

They have to ditch that everyone gets a player rule. Or, limit the number of players that can go from one team.

Paulwny
07-01-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

They have to ditch that everyone gets a player rule. \

TV $$$$$$
Their afraid the fans in a city without a player won't have an interest.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
\

TV $$$$$$
Their afraid the fans in a city without a player won't have an interest.

I've got news for them: nobody from the crappy baseball cities watches anyway.

The folks in Detroit know Robert Fick is a token representative. They aren't dumb enough to watch the game just to see how Fick does in his pinch-hitting role. 99 percent of them will base their decision to watch the game on something besides whether or not a Detroit Tiger made the team.

Why is it so unsurprising that the people who run MLB would take their fans for being such pollyannas? :cool:

Jerry_Manuel
07-01-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I've got news for them: nobody from the crappy baseball cities watches anyway.

The folks in Detroit know Robert Fick is a token representative. They aren't dumb enough to watch the game just to see how Fick does in his pinch-hitting role. 99 percent of them will base their decision to watch the game on something besides whether or not a Detroit Tiger made the team.

Why is it so unsurprising that the people who run MLB would take their fans for being such pollyannas? :cool:

I doubt anyone from Tampa is watching to see Randy Winn take the field.

Spiff
07-01-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


I've got news for them: nobody from the crappy baseball cities watches anyway.

The folks in Detroit know Robert Fick is a token representative. They aren't dumb enough to watch the game just to see how Fick does in his pinch-hitting role. 99 percent of them will base their decision to watch the game on something besides whether or not a Detroit Tiger made the team.

Why is it so unsurprising that the people who run MLB would take their fans for being such pollyannas? :cool:

Not true. I watched the game the last couple years specifically to see how Maggs and Ray did.

Call me a pollyana if you want but the reason that keeps me watching is how the Sox will perform on the biggest stage (well, the biggest one they'll see in the next few years).

Cheryl
07-01-2002, 12:28 PM
I haven't watched the All Star Game in years. And I didn't vote this year, except this morning because I can sit here and point and click and barely type in anything to vote for Maggs.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Spiff


Not true. I watched the game the last couple years specifically to see how Maggs and Ray did.

Call me a pollyana if you want but the reason that keeps me watching is how the Sox will perform on the biggest stage (well, the biggest one they'll see in the next few years).

Yes, but Durham and Ordonez actually DESERVED to be on the team, right? Does anybody in Detroit honestly believe Robert Fick is making the team for any reason other than Joe Torre needs a backup catcher and has to pick somebody from the Tigers, too?

Durham is among the best of a lousy set of A.L. secondbasemen. Magglio is widely-regarded as one of the game's brightest young stars.

What can you say about all-star Robert Fick, besides "just happy to be here"?

guillen4life13
07-01-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


Yes, but Durham and Ordonez actually DESERVED to be on the team, right? Does anybody in Detroit honestly believe Robert Fick is making the team for any reason other than Joe Torre needs a backup catcher and has to pick somebody from the Tigers, too?

Durham is among the best of a lousy set of A.L. secondbasemen. Magglio is widely-regarded as one of the game's brightest young stars.

What can you say about all-star Robert Fick, besides "just happy to be here"?

this has just a lil relevence...

fick is no longer a catcher. he's a right fielder. which further proves the point that Maggs should be there.

the one i was surprised about was manny ramirez. he's been injured half the time. did he really deserve his berth in the game?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13


this has just a lil relevence...

fick is no longer a catcher. he's a right fielder. which further proves the point that Maggs should be there.

the one i was surprised about was manny ramirez. he's been injured half the time. did he really deserve his berth in the game?

LOL! Fick as an all-star outfielder? Now I've heard it all...