PDA

View Full Version : Beltre is close to signing a deal with the Rangers

Rockabilly
01-02-2011, 07:09 PM
I would love to make a deal for Michael Young, if the Rangers were willing to give us cash as well

Frater Perdurabo
01-02-2011, 07:35 PM
If they sign Beltre, they will use Young as the primary DH and super-sub at 3B, 1B and 2B.

PalehosePlanet
01-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I would love to make a deal for Michael Young, if the Rangers were willing to give us cash as well

He's making 15 million a year with three years remaining on his contract, so there is no way he's coming here.

If he is traded, I only see the Angels as a fit.

Foulke You
01-03-2011, 02:49 PM
I've always been a huge Michael Young fan and would love to have him but not at that salary and I doubt the Rangers eat enough of that deal to make him affordable to the Sox. I would have to assume we have reached our payroll limit.

Lip Man 1
01-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Supposedly six years, 95 million dollars...for Adrian Beltre.

Wow.

Baseball must be doing really well to dole out that kind of money for a guy who's had two or three good seasons in his entire career.

Lip

Taliesinrk
01-03-2011, 11:04 PM
If they sign Beltre, they will use Young as the primary DH and super-sub at 3B, 1B and 2B.

.... assuming Young's ok with that plan. He's certainly the type of player that could demand a trade.

Frater Perdurabo
01-04-2011, 09:18 AM
.... assuming Young's ok with that plan. He's certainly the type of player that could demand a trade.

Of course. But my guess is Young wants to try to win it all with the Rangers and would be willing to make this move in the interests of strengthening the team.

Frater Perdurabo
01-04-2011, 09:21 AM
As I suspected, as reported in The Dallas Morning News, Young is willing to DH and play multiple positions in order to stay with the team (http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/01/michael-young-agrees-to-change.html).

JB98
01-04-2011, 01:06 PM
There's a sucker born every day, isn't there?

What a terrible contract.

Frater Perdurabo
01-04-2011, 01:14 PM

Yes, but if the Rangers win it all, to them it will be worth it. Right or wrong, they they see him as the "missing piece" that improves their infield defense and solidifies their lineup. Given that their biggest "holes" were first base and DH, Young also may play a lot of first base, which would allow them to use the DH spot to "rest" Cruz and Hamilton.

PalehosePlanet
01-04-2011, 03:09 PM

Wow.

Baseball must be doing really well to dole out that kind of money for a guy who's had two or three good seasons in his entire career.

Lip

Yes, and luckily for him they were both in walk years, resulting in huge contracts. He is the AJ Burnett of position players.

NLaloosh
01-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Yes, but if the Rangers win it all, to them it will be worth it. Right or wrong, they they see him as the "missing piece" that improves their infield defense and solidifies their lineup. Given that their biggest "holes" were first base and DH, Young also may play a lot of first base, which would allow them to use the DH spot to "rest" Cruz and Hamilton.

Not only that but Kinsler can be counted on to miss 30 or 40 games every year. I'm not sure that it's a geat fiscal move but it improves their team with better defense and more flexibilty than if they would have re-signed Vlad.

TheOldRoman
01-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Yes, but if the Rangers win it all, to them it will be worth it. Right or wrong, they they see him as the "missing piece" that improves their infield defense and solidifies their lineup. Given that their biggest "holes" were first base and DH, Young also may play a lot of first base, which would allow them to use the DH spot to "rest" Cruz and Hamilton.He may have been the missing piece had they signed Cliff Lee. Now? They need a #1 starter. I realize there aren't any on the market at this point. Barring huge jumps by some on their rotation, I don't know how much noise they could make in the playoffs next year (although Young's horrible defense did cost them in the playoffs this previous season).

mzh
01-04-2011, 04:48 PM
He may have been the missing piece had they signed Cliff Lee. Now? They need a #1 starter. I realize there aren't any on the market at this point. Barring huge jumps by some on their rotation, I don't know how much noise they could make in the playoffs next year (although Young's horrible defense did cost them in the playoffs this previous season).
If Brandon Webb returns to form that will be one hell of a team.

SOXSINCE'70
01-04-2011, 06:17 PM
If Brandon Webb returns to form that will be one hell of a team.

That's a big "If", IMO.

Frater Perdurabo
01-04-2011, 07:15 PM
He may have been the missing piece had they signed Cliff Lee. Now? They need a #1 starter. I realize there aren't any on the market at this point. Barring huge jumps by some on their rotation, I don't know how much noise they could make in the playoffs next year (although Young's horrible defense did cost them in the playoffs this previous season).

The thinking I have heard is that the Rangers believe they would have won the 2010 AL West even if they had acquired Lee, but they would not have advanced beyond the ALDS. The thinking is that their plan is to go into the 2011 season with the rotation they have (having upgraded the hitting and fielding), and if they need to acquire an ace mid-season, they have enough blue-chip projects to do so.

DirtySox
01-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Is there a "no head-rubbing clause" in this new contract?

http://bosoxgifs.imgur.com/beltre_head_rubs/

Hitmen77
01-05-2011, 07:37 AM

Wow.

Lip

The Rangers are one of the "haves" in MLB. Dallas is now the 5th largest metro area in the US and I believe the Rangers recently signed a nice, fat local TV deal. Plus, coming off of an AL pennant I would imagine gives them another influx of income with increased interest.

Aside from Washington giving Werth that ridiculously stupid contract, it's baseball's big market teams that are spending ridiculous amounts. About 1/3 of the league is still in the mode of "let good players walk as soon as they hit FA".

Lip Man 1
01-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Hit:

Good point as both Nolan Ryan and the new team president said numerous times this off season that they were going to raise their payroll "significantly."

It appears that they are doing so.

Lip

Marqhead
01-05-2011, 01:07 PM
6 years 96 mil.

NLaloosh
01-05-2011, 02:26 PM
This is not good news for the White Sox. Now, Texas won't sign Vlad and he could end up in Minnesota.

If they get Pavano back (likely) and sign Vlad everything would have to go right for the Sox to overtake them.

tstrike2000
01-05-2011, 02:32 PM

Between the Beltre and Werth deals, these contracts have been beyond terrible.

russ99
01-05-2011, 03:33 PM
This is not good news for the White Sox. Now, Texas won't sign Vlad and he could end up in Minnesota.

If they get Pavano back (likely) and sign Vlad everything would have to go right for the Sox to overtake them.

With Thome still likely going back to the Twins and the Angels looking to be out of the Vlad bidding, any chance the Sox take a look at him?

But he'd probably want a heck of a lot more than Andruw signed for last year.

NLaloosh
01-06-2011, 01:46 PM
With Thome still likely going back to the Twins and the Angels looking to be out of the Vlad bidding, any chance the Sox take a look at him?

But he'd probably want a heck of a lot more than Andruw signed for last year.

Unfortunately, he can't play the OF anymore. He's strictly a DH so the Sox can't use him. The Sox could use Andruw or someone like him as you said. They need another guy that can play a solid CF and RF.

doublem23
01-06-2011, 02:38 PM
They need another guy that can play a solid CF and RF.

De Aza