PDA

View Full Version : Palmeiro insists he never used steroids

thomas35forever
12-29-2010, 03:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5966668
Sure Raffy, sure.:rolleyes:

downstairs
12-29-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't think vitamin B12 pills have steroids in them. They have vitamin B12.

tstrike2000
12-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Of course, he was shooting Vitamin B into his buttockle region that he got from Miguel Tejada that Clemens also said he used.

JoeyCora28
12-29-2010, 03:30 PM
I guess someone has to take Santo's place of lobbying for themselves to get into the HOF.

Good luck with that...

PennStater98r
12-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Here's the thing - either he should go or no one implicated should. That means no Bonds, Sosa, Clemens, A-Rod, McGwire, etc...

Rafey has accomplished something only three other players did - 500 HR and 3000 Hits.

I personally would not vote for him - but I would not vote for Bonds, Sosa, Clemens or A-Rod.

WhiteSox5187
12-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Here's the thing - either he should go or no one implicated should. That means no Bonds, Sosa, Clemens, A-Rod, McGwire, etc...

Rafey has accomplished something only three other players did - 500 HR and 3000 Hits.

I personally would not vote for him - but I would not vote for Bonds, Sosa, Clemens or A-Rod.

That's the thing, if A-Rod or Bonds gets in, you have to let them all in.

12-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Period!

Bob Roarman
12-29-2010, 06:12 PM
That's the thing, if A-Rod or Bonds gets in, you have to let them all in.

I don't like the black-white/in or out plan. Because you can make the arugment that A-Rod shouldn't be in, but Bonds, he was already a Hall of Famer before he blew himself up. Sosa, McGwuire, again, you could make the argument for both of those guys, but with Clemens he was probably already a Hall of Famer before he started using.

Daver
12-29-2010, 06:15 PM
I don't like the black-white/in or out plan. Because you can make the arugment that A-Rod shouldn't be in, but Bonds, he was already a Hall of Famer before he blew himself up. Sosa, McGwuire, again, you could make the argument for both of those guys, but with Clemens he was probably already a Hall of Famer before he started using.

What does that have to do with having to deal with the consequences of your actions?

WhiteSox5187
12-29-2010, 06:15 PM

It all becomes so murky, the only guy I think was a clear cut Hall of Famer before steroids was Bonds. Clemens career seemed to be over in 1996, then he went to Toronto and met up with Jose Canseco. I think you either let them all in or you let them all in.

Bucky F. Dent
12-29-2010, 09:35 PM
They should fire the writer at SI that took his call!

WinningUgly!
12-29-2010, 10:42 PM
"I hope they don't hold me out for one mistake at the end of my career."

What mistake? Getting caught?:rolleyes:

RadioheadRocks
12-30-2010, 12:30 AM
What does that have to do with having to deal with the consequences of your actions?

Amen!

RKMeibalane
12-30-2010, 12:43 AM
"I hope they don't hold me out for one mistake at the end of my career."

What mistake? Getting caught?:rolleyes:

And then continuing to lie about it. This guy's antics are indefensible.

Viva Medias B's
12-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Also, Raffy says you can make a fortune investing all of your money in Kansas oceanfront property.

white sox bill
12-30-2010, 09:09 AM
So Raffy is more or less saying "Miguel came into the room with a preloaded syringe full of what I thought was B-12 and injected" I can't imagine that ever happening.....its likely the AAS vial that was injected was right there in front of his eyes with the proper label right on it. Can't he read?? Didn't he care to read what the label said?

Nice try....

Madvora
12-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Why are these guys always passing each other pills and shots in the locker room?

Red Barchetta
12-30-2010, 11:14 AM
I think Bonds, Clemens and Palmeiro all had potential HOF careers before they played with the juice, whereas other players like Sosa clearly had statistics during his stretch that never measured up with his before and after statistics.

Palmeiro always had a sweet swing and hit for high average. It was during those years when all of a sudden he (and fellow Oriole Brady Anderson :rolleyes:) suddenly started hitting 40+ HRs on a regular basis that raises questions.

I think steroid use was more rampant than ever originally imagined as the juice turned .230 hitters into .275 hitters and no one noticed. It wasn't until you already had the talented .300 hitters juicing and suddenly batting .350 with 50+ HRs and 15 game winning pitchers winning 20+ games at age 42 that eyebrows were being raised.

Although the steroid era has Jose Canseco and the rest of the poster boys, I blame Bud Selig, the field managers and other players as everyone knew what was going on but did nothing to stop it as the seats were filled with butts in record numbers.

As to Palmeiro, Clemens, Sosa, Bonds, etc., I hope they stay out for the same reason Pete Rose is out, they all lied publically and repeatedly about their illegal activities. Palmeiro lied to Congress the same time Sosa suddenly forgot how to speak and hear English. :angry:

PalehosePlanet
12-30-2010, 12:09 PM

And Shoeless Joe was already a .356 lifetime hitter, and one of the absolute best players of his generation before he took the money to help throw the series. Pete Rose was already the all time hits leader before he gambled on baseball games.

I'm sorry, but this line of thinking makes no sense.

Bob Roarman
12-30-2010, 12:32 PM
It does when gambling/throwing games that threaten to make baseball into nothing more than predetermined outcomes and PED usage to gain a competitive edge are two completely different things, especially when it's probably true that just about every single player from the 50s or 60s on has taken a form of PED (like "greenies").

But with unique circumstances of throwing games like Jackson and Rose's gambling (especially Rose), it's different territory altogether. Rose said he never bet against his team, which even if that's true (and you'll know it's not when he needs money and writes another book disclosing that he did in fact bet against his team at times) it still doesn't acknowledge the kind of implications it means when he did bet on his team.

khan
12-30-2010, 01:10 PM
It does when gambling/throwing games that threaten to make baseball into nothing more than predetermined outcomes and PED usage to gain a competitive edge are two completely different things, especially when it's probably true that just about every single player from the 50s or 60s on has taken a form of PED (like "greenies").

Greenies are not at all akin to anabolic steroids, HGH, and the like. Keeping yourself awake is nowhere in the same universe as continuing to add muscle mass well into your 30s.

Sorry, but that tired line really doesn't fly.

WhiteSox5187
12-30-2010, 01:12 PM

But with unique circumstances of throwing games like Jackson and Rose's gambling (especially Rose), it's different territory altogether. Rose said he never bet against his team, which even if that's true (and you'll know it's not when he needs money and writes another book disclosing that he did in fact bet against his team at times) it still doesn't acknowledge the kind of implications it means when he did bet on his team.

This is a myth that needs to be put to rest, greenies don't have anywhere near the impact that steroids to when it comes to performance. They don't help you hit the baseball further or throw faster or allow you to recover from injuries faster, steroids do.

TornLabrum
12-30-2010, 05:58 PM
I was waiting for this to degenerate into the amphetamines vs. steroids debate. Thanks for not disappointing me.

SI1020
12-30-2010, 09:29 PM
It continues to amaze me that some still want to compare greenies to designer steroids. It's such a ridiculous comparison. Not only that, but amphetamine use over time does not enhance one's performance in any aspect of life. On the contrary, it's affect can be quite destructive. I also believe that the use of greenies and other amphetamine pick me ups in baseball peaked in the 70's and 80's.

TomParrish79
12-31-2010, 12:54 AM
"He was a hall of famer before he started using"

I hate that argument. Basically we don't know when any of these guys started using. We all noticed them bulking up, but how do we know that Barry Bonds wasn't on the types of drugs that didnt bulk him up in the late 80's early 90's? We know for a fact that he changed his prescription in the late 90's to join in on all the massive homerun number fun.

Arod was skinny like Bonds when he broke into the league, and there have been reports that he was on roids in college.

Bottom line, the sports writers don't have the balls to keep Bonds out of the hall of fame. They will hide behind the above quoted argument. Bottom line they are scared of the race issue. An issue that Bonds will fan the flames of if he thinks it will help him get in. Meanwhile white guys like McGuire and Sosa won't get in.

They are all cheaters, keep them all out.

Nellie_Fox
12-31-2010, 01:11 AM
Meanwhile white guys like McGuire and Sosa won't get in.I don't think skin bleaching qualifies.

Foulke You
12-31-2010, 01:28 AM
"He was a hall of famer before he started using"

I hate that argument. Basically we don't know when any of these guys started using. We all noticed them bulking up, but how do we know that Barry Bonds wasn't on the types of drugs that didnt bulk him up in the late 80's early 90's? We know for a fact that he changed his prescription in the late 90's to join in on all the massive homerun number fun.
I would suggest reading the book "Game of Shadows". It describes in pretty great detail how Bonds began his steroid use and when. It started immediately following the Sosa/McGwire season of 1998 due to jealousy. It's pretty much certain that he began the PED use after that season. It talks about who he hooked up with and even the exact types of drug cocktails and workouts he was on. While I would agree that with most players, we really don't know when they began or when they stopped but in the case of Barry Bonds, it is so well documented in Game of Shadows that I don't really question the integrity of the writers. That being said, I'm also in favor of keeping him out of the HOF.

PennStater98r
01-03-2011, 05:06 PM
And Shoeless Joe was already a .356 lifetime hitter, and one of the absolute best players of his generation before he took the money to help throw the series. Pete Rose was already the all time hits leader before he was caught gambling on baseball games.

I'm sorry, but this line of thinking makes no sense.

Fixed that for ya! :)

PennStater98r
01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Greenies are not at all akin to anabolic steroids, HGH, and the like. Keeping yourself awake is nowhere in the same universe as continuing to add muscle mass well into your 30s.

Sorry, but that tired line really doesn't fly.

That's not to mention that greenies were not considered illegal if a doctor prescribed them - which I am sure happened in that era. Further, it was not considered illegal in baseball until 2007. To me, greenies fell into the realm of creatine - it was allowed for a time in baseball. It's different than using an illegal drug punishable with jail time if caught with it in your possession.